Pewdiepie uses racial slur on livestream of PUBG, Firewatch dev files DMCA

In some minor tech news ( as its kinda relates to youtube/twitch 

LINK = PCgamer.com link

Pewdiepie used a racial slur while livestreaming PUBG, as a direct reaction to this Sean Vanaman, Co-founder of Campo Santo creators of the game "firewatch"  (good game btw) 
posted on twitter that he would be filing DMCA take downs on pewd's videos of their games. 
Do you agree?  

Are creators now able to retroactively remove content of other channels and risk legal action, because they don't like something the host said (has happened with sponsorship's I know).

Would like to hear your guys/girls thoughts on this... I hate pewd's personally but I dont like that kind of content, but I think a DMCA is abit of a streach removing permision AFTER the fact ( reminds me of that rape thing that happened awhile ago, wheres some extreme feminists were wanting to take back consent after the fact)

(To save you clicking) 

QUOTED FROM PCGAMER

YouTuber PewDiePie – who lost lucrative partnerships with Disney and YouTube earlier this year due to an anti-Semitic video – has used a racial slur during a new livestream. The wealthy (and regrettably influential) personality uttered the slur during a livestream of PUBG, and while it has attracted condemnation online, Campo Santo co-founder Sean Vanaman has indicated he will take further action.

"We're filing a DMCA takedown of PewDiePie's Firewatch content and any future Campo Santo games," Vanaman wrote on Twitter. "There is a bit of leeway you have to have with the internet when [you] wake up every day and make video games. There's also a breaking point."

He continued: "I am sick of this child getting more and more chances to make money off of what we make. He's worse than a closeted racist: he's a propagator of despicable garbage that does real damage to the culture around this industry."

Vanaman made a call out to other developers to take direct action against the likes of PewDiePie. "I'd urge other developers & will be reaching out to folks much larger than us to cut him off from the content that has made him a millionaire. Furthermore, we're complicit: I'm sure we've made money off of the 5.7M views that video has and that's something for us to think about."

At the time of writing, PewDiePie's lengthy Firewatch playthrough has been removed from YouTube, though Kotaku reports it had been viewed 5.7 million times already.

Here is the clip, thanks to @TorqueS
Warning some users may find this offensive ( and if you do...yeah.....)

https://oddshot.tv/s/g_05U6

Video of copywrite attorney Leonard French giving his thoughts on the matter  ( thanks to @Energycore for directing me to it )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhn6yrNzM3M

Sean Vanaman's twitter reads as follows 

firewatch.jpg

Specs 

CPU-Intel I7 4790K- @ 4.5Ghz / Mobo - Asus Maximus Hero VII / GPU - GTX 980 @ 1592MHz / RAM - 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2400Mhz / Cooler - Corsair H105 / SSD - Samsung 250gb 840 EVO / HDD - 2x 2tb Seagate/3x 3tb Seagate / PSU - Corsair RM1000 / Keyboard - Corsair K70 / Mouse - Corsair M65 / Case - Custom Glass panel Corsair Obsidian 750D -  Still saving for upgrades =)

here's the thing..

"Digital Millennium Copyright Act"

if pewds broke copyright, so did everyone else making a video of PUBG. there's probably a whole host of other things they can pull up to make his life difficult however.

I think it's fair if a company doesn't want their brand associated with certain commentary or ideals.  Does this mean pewdiepie did something illegal?  most likely not, although defamation by association hasn't been tried before in a court as far as I know so who knows where this could go if they are serious.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

And there goes another developer off my watchlist.

Not because he threatened PewDiePie. I honestly don’t care much for him, but moreso in his intentions to use the DMCA to issue a takedown that isn’t actually for a copyright issue.

Happens far too many times.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 minutes ago, Gofspar said:

mfw people act like this isnt screamed a million times in pub g.

In any online multiplayer game really.

Still he should know better with the amount of fame and attention he gets. 

Hmm...

DJZPfhEVoAAEJqD.jpg:large

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

i dont think iDMCA can be applied here. There should be protections for derivative, satire, and educational work.

Pewdiepie is an adult with the maturity of a child, hence his youtube popularity. He is going to get what he gets.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

4 minutes ago, ArduinoBen said:

wait i didnt read the post well.

Sorry, i'm not used to posting news topics, what can I do to clear it up a little for you? 

Specs 

CPU-Intel I7 4790K- @ 4.5Ghz / Mobo - Asus Maximus Hero VII / GPU - GTX 980 @ 1592MHz / RAM - 16Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2400Mhz / Cooler - Corsair H105 / SSD - Samsung 250gb 840 EVO / HDD - 2x 2tb Seagate/3x 3tb Seagate / PSU - Corsair RM1000 / Keyboard - Corsair K70 / Mouse - Corsair M65 / Case - Custom Glass panel Corsair Obsidian 750D -  Still saving for upgrades =)

Like, I feel people are going out of their way to target this kid. I understand that he says this shit but so does everyone else. 

It's becoming one rule for one and not others. 

Current Build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 // Mobo: Ryzen AM4 B350 GAMING PLUS ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz // GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8GB // SSD: Kingston A400 120GB // HDD: 3 x WD Blue 1TB // PSUCorsair 650M // Case: Corsair 450D // Monitor: LG Ultrawide 29" IPS

Plex Server:

CPU: AMD FX 8350 Black Edition // Mobo: Gigabyte - GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 Micro ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz // GPU: GeForce GTX 670 // HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB // PSU: Kolink Core Series 500W 80 Plus Certified // Case: AVP Viper Mini Tower

Other:

PS4 Pro // PS3 // Nintendo Switch (Pokemon edition) // Nintendo 3DS // Xbox 360 // iPhone 8 Plus // Macbook Retina 2013

This is blatant abuse of DMCA. Developers have no right to abuse the law to suit their own agenda.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

40 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

And there goes another developer off my watchlist.

Not because he threatened PewDiePie. I honestly don’t care much for him, but moreso in his intentions to use the DMCA to issue a takedown that isn’t actually for a copyright issue.

Happens far too many times.

21 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

This is blatant abuse of DMCA. Developers have no right to abuse the law to suit their own agenda.

Actually, technically it's not abuse,  It's their copyright and they can decide exactly who gets to use it,  Fair use has stipulations that must be taken into consideration before you can use it without permission, and two of them are:

1. the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature

4. the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

For point 4. the owner can argue that it does due to the association of the accompanying commentary. As I said before, this hasn't been tried in a court as far as I know, however given the fact that it is largely upto a copyright holder to decide who gets to use their material outside of fair use (and DMCA stipulated exemptions) this is not abuse.

EDIT: also interesting to note that license agreements can (and have in precedent) superseded fair use laws.  So if there is a term in the EULA for this, then it is possible that pewdiepie clicked away his right to stream said content when he started making comments the dev. doesn't want to be associated with.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I have been told that this is just part of gaming culture now.

On a related note, is this just part of stand up comedy culture now (viewer discretion if you watch this link)

Spoiler

-------

Current Rig

-------

59 minutes ago, manikyath said:

here's the thing..

"Digital Millennium Copyright Act"

if pewds broke copyright, so did everyone else making a video of PUBG. there's probably a whole host of other things they can pull up to make his life difficult however.

The alarming part is that he basically said "Streaming is not legal, we just let it go but for him we will not"

Basically I think streaming should be considered transformative but if a case like this makes it to a jury it will be hard for them not to see Felix's 4 and 5 hour videos to be really transformative enough just because of the length. This is not isolated to just him of course but there's legal precedent as to the guidelines of what's considered fair use as in what percentage of the original material you can use before it's not considered just "fair use" because you give away too much of the original.

Game streaming also different from using music clips on a remix since well, you're not really modding the game (Well most non-Skyrim streamers anyway) so it's not inherently transformative if you're using it as intended. You're providing commentary but again some streamers do not. Closest analogy is MST3K and riff tracks but game streaming again still has unique differences.

For a far more educated take here's what Leonard French has to say, though he mostly focuses on the context of suddenly withdrawing the right but if it goes to court it would probably turn into "Is game streaming fair use?" kind of deal:

-------

Current Rig

-------

well, if they think he is using their product in a immoral or unethical way, or using it to propagate hate speech. THEN BAN HIS ASS AND ASK FOR DEMONETIZATION OF HIS PUBG VIDS.

this boycotting shit is such BS.

Also, what the fuck did he say?

5 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Also, what the fuck did he say?

This is the question that stands on everyone's lips.

He might've spewed "A nigger". Oh my god...he's racist oooh.

You know...I am growing tired of this bullcrap drama that happens every once in a while...copyright strikes and other nonesense that should really not exist.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

1 hour ago, TheRandomness said:

Oh no someone got offended I guess. 

stephen_fry_offended.jpg

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Btw...this is the part.

https://oddshot.tv/s/g_05U6

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

Fixed for Dark Theme :D

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

23 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

The alarming part is that he basically said "Streaming is not legal, we just let it go but for him we will not"

But that's exactly their right as copyright owners, they get to decide who can use it and who can't.    

Whether we like what Sean is doing or not, he isn't exactly showing favoritism or abusing laws.

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

But that's exactly their right as copyright owners, they get to decide who is can use it and who can't.    

Whether we like what Sean is doing or not, he isn't exactly showing favoritism or abusing laws.

Not for fair use, just for regular licensing. They're assuming that they provide free, no questions asked licensing to anyone who wants to stream when the argument is that no permission is needed if it counts as fair use by nature of being transformative.

As I said game streaming probably gets to the very edge of what's truly fair use and is just as likely to be considered over said edge if it makes it to court. But we'll see. So yes technically correct but there's still another argument that could potentially be made.

-------

Current Rig

-------