iPhone 8 costs higher due to Samsung cotrolling OLED, no touch ID due to 3D Touch

KGI, a fairly acuurate analysts shares a few details on why the iPhone 8/Edition is going to cost higher and the reason why Apple couldn't implement under screen Touch ID as they had initially hoped to

The analysis breaks down the structure of the new iPhone’s display which KGI expects to include a flexible OLED panel, an OLED touch panel, a 3D Touch module, and an OLED panel module. The report believes Samsung will be responsible for providing each OLED part with the only exception in the stack being the 3D Touch module.

For that reason, Samsung is able to charge a premium on OLED panels which KGI expects will cost more than twice as much per unit as the LCD panels in the Plus model iPhones. Specifically, KGI estimates OLED unit cost at $120-$130 per unit versus the $45-$55 unit cost of LCD panels. This could certainly explain the expected price tag of around $1,000 when the current iPhone range goes from $650 to $970.

And speaking of the 3D Touch module, the one part of the display stack Samsung doesn’t touch, KGI believes the pressure sensitive display technology is likely why Apple is believed to have abandoned Touch ID on the OLED iPhone .Apple was originally aiming to embed Touch ID under the display according to reports, KGI believes that OLED 3D Touch module creates an unfavorable scan-through performance for the fingerprint sensor.

So TLDR; Samsung currently has a monopolostic hold over Apple when it comes to OLED screen, charging them $120-$130 as opposed to $45-$55. This is also coupled with other production issues like 3d circuitry, 3d cameras, etc.

And Apple also couldn't under screen Touch ID to work properly with the OLED 3D touch layer.

So with numerous reports on the higher price tag, I think it's fair to say this is going to turn out to be true. This kinda a falls perfectly in line with my assumption that Apple was forced to make a 7s increase at the regular price tag in order to offset some of the iPhone customers into buying a higher priced model.

But I do however feel that the next bezelles series of iPhones will come down in price once LG (or somone else) starts mass producing OLED screens and when Apple solves the other production bottlenecks as reports say that they're prepping a larger 6” Plus model for next year indicating that they see a way out of this current constraints a produce iPhones in full capacity

Source: https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/06/kgi-iphone-oled-samsung-touch-id/

GG Samsung, that's a nice move.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

it amuses me that apple uses so many samsung parts.

Samsung is currently the biggest chip maker in the world, from SoCs and coprocessors to RAM and NAND

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

Apple could invest some in technology and develop their OLED. They are not short on money. Same how LG "developed" their P-OLED for V30. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 minute ago, Agost said:

Samsung is currently the biggest chip maker in the world, from SoCs and coprocessors to RAM and NAND

yes, but it still amuses me.

Wow that is expensive.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

so they are finally going to catch up to other phones in that aspect?

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

so they are finally going to catch up to other phones in that aspect?

Nah, it still has no headphone jack :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Apple could invest some in technology and develop their OLED. They are not short on money. Same how LG "developed" their P-OLED for V30. 

They probably already are, it's probably still in the R&D phase.

Still think 3D touch is quite useless. If I ever had an iPhone, I'd rather have TouchID in the screen over 3D Touch any day. But I'd never buy an iPhone, since Samsung still has headphone jacks (and that lovely screen..) Saving up for an S8 :) 

I used to be quite active here.

I find it funny how Apple sued Samsung for so many copyright infringements, yet still chooses to use them... But then again, do they really have a choice? 

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

1 minute ago, Kobathor said:

Still think 3D touch is quite useless.

That depends on the user. I use it quite rarely but I do appreciate it when I need it, but some users will utilize it as frequently as possible. I only really appreciate it for throwing Chrome into incognito from the home screen.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

That explains why the Note 8 got a mass price increase as well. Probably to hide things that would be illegal in some countries.

1 minute ago, Suika said:

That depends on the user. I use it quite rarely but I do appreciate it when I need it, but some users will utilize it as frequently as possible. I only really appreciate it for throwing Chrome into incognito from the home screen.

But what is wrong with tap and hold? Takes about the same time as you need to press harder on the display.

2 minutes ago, Suika said:

Android 7.0+ has that functionality built-in though. All you do is long-press and it has the same options as it would on iOS. I do think that it is quicker and more elegant if you can just press harder on your screen, but at what cost? 

15 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

But what is wrong with tap and hold? Takes about the same time as you need to press harder on the display.

Having an easy to understand input (more pressure, different response) in addition to tap and hold is much more convenient than gestures or holding for even longer to get a different result.

I don't understand the "takes the same time" bit. Maybe I'm faster than you guys but I can apply more pressure to a screen much more quickly than the device recognizes that I'm tapping to hold.

14 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

I do think that it is quicker if you can just press harder on your screen, but at what cost? 

Not a huge cost since Apple's base model iPhones still cost less than the Galaxy S8 and the LG G6 (depending on carrier).

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

3 minutes ago, Suika said:

Not a huge cost since Apple's base model iPhones still cost less than the Galaxy S8 and the LG G6 (depending on carrier).

At what cost was a cheesy comment, sorry. It wasn't about money though, I meant we have 3D touch at the cost of a huge bezel with TouchID or no TouchID. The cost is usability and design, not dollars. Price is a whole other story.

The oled vs lcd cost is way misleading. Yes the lcd was 45 yes, oled is 130, and no they aren't getting ripped by Samsung for that price as it's an oledpanel. My Moto panel is 120 for example.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

49 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

because tap and hold does other things lol

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

Oh boy... Fanboys already finding excuses for a bunch of things and the phone isn't even out. 

Here is a crazy idea. Maybe OLED screens are expensive because they are hard to make? I mean, the reason for lack of competition is not because only Samsung is trying to produce OLED screens. They are the only ones managing to make good ones in fairly large quantities. If they were easy to make then I am sure LG, JPI and other panel makers would be all over it already. 

1 hour ago, Kobathor said:

Still think 3D touch is quite useless. If I ever had an iPhone, I'd rather have TouchID in the screen over 3D Touch any day. But I'd never buy an iPhone, since Samsung still has headphone jacks (and that lovely screen..) Saving up for an S8 :) 

I really like 3d touch myself. Much like a right click for mobile. Android I can see making far better use of it though.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Seriously? so a part that is costing say $65 more is the reason the price has shot up around $300?

More like Apple want to keep their approx $600 profit per phone sold.

Yes, I hate apple... no I don't need to give a reason other than them being over-priced and too locked down for my usage.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini