Windows 10 Fall Creators Update has a release date

AlTech

I wish I could skip releases, like back in the old days.  For example, go from DOS 3.3 to Windows 95 to Windows XP to Windows 7 to Windows 10 Fall 2017 Update to whatever comes out in 2024 to whatever, or something like that.  Going from W10 first release to Fall 2015 to Spring 2016 to Fall 2016 to Spring 2017 to Fall 2017 - that's too-big updates too often, in my opinion.  Sure, keep up with the security fixes, but let me stay on the same general feature version for several years, unless I actually want a particular feature in a new version.

9 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

Enlighten me on this so called DX9 fix. I am intrigued.

Dev team in win 8 capped dx9 vram usage to 4GB since it would just shit itself

In the Win8 timeframe, the rationalization was that it didn't make sense and 4GB should be a hard limit in D3D9 which was apparently the wrong answer, since at least some apps depended on more than that. Hopefully we get it right this time.

Took them 5 years to notice

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

6 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

I wish I could skip releases, like back in the old days.  For example, go from DOS 3.3 to Windows 95 to Windows XP to Windows 7 to Windows 10 Fall 2017 Update to whatever comes out in 2024 to whatever, or something like that.  Going from W10 first release to Fall 2015 to Spring 2016 to Fall 2016 to Spring 2017 to Fall 2017 - that's too-big updates too often, in my opinion.  Sure, keep up with the security fixes, but let me stay on the same general feature version for several years, unless I actually want a particular feature in a new version.

I wholeheartedly agree. There is major Windows 10 update fatigue, I think. And it seems like it's just updates for the sake of having updates - like, Microsoft just wants to be making noise and look like stuff's happening with it. But really, it's a lot of bloat, and the updates have a horrible record for making a mess of things. The long-term sustainability, predictability, and dependability of previous Windows versions is what's needed, and not these grab bags of b-grade features every half-year.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

3 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

I wholeheartedly agree. There is major Windows 10 update fatigue, I think. And it seems like it's just updates for the sake of having updates - like, Microsoft just wants to be making noise and look like stuff's happening with it. But really, it's a lot of bloat, and the updates have a horrible recording for making a mess of things. The long-term sustainability of previous Windows versions is what's needed, and not these grab bags of b-grade "features" every half-year.

YES!! and OH!! Another thing i thought of, that I absolutely HATE about Windows 10 - is needing to restart so often for updates.  I do have Windows 10 Pro, so I went in GPE and set it to notify me before downloading, but rarely can I go more than a month or so without closing my programs (not just hibernating) and restarting.

Other operating systems on some platforms, like Linux on NAS, etc - I've heard of them having uptime (without reboots) measured in YEARS, not days.  Why can't we have that in consumer Windows?? :(>:( 

Oh lord no.

I have things just the way I want them.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

22 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

So it mainly it brigs improvements to Photos....

Cool...? I guess? I actually deleted it from my system and has Windows Photo Viewer rocking back again lmao...

There's also stuff with Contacts and Mypeople

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

There's also stuff with Contacts and Mypeople

Never heard of those things :P

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

13 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Dev team in win 8 capped dx9 vram usage to 4GB since it would just shit itself

Took them 5 years to notice

Huh. I never noticed it since I have yet to run a DX9 title and hit anywhere near 2GB for that matter, but at least they're fixing it.

20 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Now you're going too far, every one is entitled to personal preferences, we paid for our systems ourselves and it is above all things extremely reliable software to achieve the goal we need, do moderate.

It would appear that you failed to see an incredibly critical point of my comment. Let me make it as painfully obvious as I can now.

22 minutes ago, tmcclelland455 said:

I don't see how people dislike it. Makes Fax & Photo Viewer look like a pile of steaming dog shit IMO.

Now for those of us who aren't aware, IMO means In My Opinion, and that would indicate that my statement was my opinion. At least that's what normal logic would dictate.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

So when is that "Project Neon" thing coming out because that's all I care about.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

10 minutes ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

YES!! and OH!! Another thing i thought of, that I absolutely HATE about Windows 10 - is needing to restart so often for updates.  I do have Windows 10 Pro, so I went in GPE and set it to notify me before downloading, but rarely can I go more than a month or so without closing my programs (not just hibernating) and restarting.

Other operating systems on some platforms, like Linux on NAS, etc - I've heard of them having uptime (without reboots) measured in YEARS, not days.  Why can't we have that in consumer Windows?? :(>:( 

Because the amount of support tickets that they've received caused by unpatched systems is a much bigger issue than the complaints they get from people trying to run 99.9%+ up-time on consumer versions.

I've been running it for months now (Windows Insider) and while it hasn't broken anything (that I've noticed) it is aesthetically and functionally identical to the RS Update. The only major difference I've noticed is OneDrive now stores your Documents folder online by default.

I'd like to give props to HP though, they found a way to solve the forced updates issue. My dad bought himself a Stream X360 a few days ago (he needs it literally for Facebook and Email), the thing has 32GB eMMC and it came OOB with 600MB of free space. Windows is screaming at him because it's trying to farce the RS1 update but doesn't have the space to download it.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

?

Over 60% of all Windows 10 users are on the Creators Update.

How have you not been forced to update?

Normally it forces people to update.

5 hours ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I just installed this copy of Windows last week, and it hasn't forced any updates yet. It's just lost it's GPU driver twice and randomly wakes up, even from shut-down. But no forced updates. 

Windows 10 does not offer feature updates within the first 30 days of a fresh installation.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

oh look, more bloat to powershrll-fu and command-fu out of my system

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

5 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

I'm still pissed that Microsoft took away in Windows 10 one of the most important features in Windows 8 which is postponing update installation for 48 hours. Microsoft fixed the most annoying part in Windows 8 but they think it's an essential feature so they brought back a problem that they fixed before. https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/b8/2011/11/14/minimizing-restarts-after-automatic-updating-in-windows-update/

4 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Never heard of those things :P

Can Microsoft bring back Windows Photo Viewer instead? 

5 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

I wholeheartedly agree. There is major Windows 10 update fatigue, I think. And it seems like it's just updates for the sake of having updates - like, Microsoft just wants to be making noise and look like stuff's happening with it. But really, it's a lot of bloat, and the updates have a horrible record for making a mess of things. The long-term sustainability, predictability, and dependability of previous Windows versions is what's needed, and not these grab bags of b-grade features every half-year.

Windows 10 lately kinda reminds me during the days of Galaxy S3 to Galaxy S5 when Samsung is adding a bunch of half baked features that nobody uses in Touchwiz. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Will they get rid of all the bugs that I and many others are experiencing on edu versions? Seriously, I still have not DL Creators Update because it's unusable due to bugs. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

In other words morea bloatware that runs in the background as MS has us acostomed to. Luckly i use windows 7 and i dont have to worry.

Really my pc ran so bad with win 10, UWP stuff randomly breaking like calculator photoviewer, random performance spikes, too much bloat running in the back, its unnacceptable, having 8-16gb of ram doesn help, its the bad processing algorithms that ruin it, and the fucking telemetry on every click slowing down things ffs.

8 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

?

Over 60% of all Windows 10 users are on the Creators Update.

How have you not been forced to update?

Normally it forces people to update.

you can hack appart the registery and compleatly turn off updates or just make it say "hey there is an update if you want to download and install it". 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

you can hack appart the registery and compleatly turn off updates or just make it say "hey there is an update if you want to download and install it". 

Yes but this makes you ineligible for support.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 hour ago, Bouzoo said:

Will they get rid of all the bugs that I and many others are experiencing on edu versions? Seriously, I still have not DL Creators Update because it's unusable due to bugs. 

Could you list a few bugs?

Btw, right now they're only fixing bugs.

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

yah but this was about being able to not download them or not, not if you can get official support or not. i honesly doubt most people tech savy enough to hack their regestry give a shit about that to be compleatly honest

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Could you list a few bugs?

Btw, right now they're only fixing bugs.

I already did in a thread, here you go. I've seen a lot people on Reddit and Windows forum having the same problems. Funny but for some of them swapping edu license for pro completely solved it which is beyond stupid.

Just now, Bouzoo said:

I already did in a thread, here you go. I've seen a lot people on Reddit and Windows forum having the same problems. Funny but for some of them swapping edu license for pro completely solved it which is beyond stupid.

You could check the patch notes for each Insider build since the Creators Update to see all the bugs fixed.....

I've never encountered the bugs you mentioned on my laptop but I've encountered it once on my desktop so I don't know what's going on.

29 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

There's no need to hack the registry to do that.You can use the Group Policy editor to set it to notify about updates without downloading them, or, you can disable Windows Update in Services to turn off Windows Update entirely.

24 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Disabling Windows Update doesn't impact support eligibility. Being on a version of Windows 10 that is no longer supported will, though. Version 1507 lost support in May 2017. Version 1703 will probably also receive at least 2 years of support.

On another topic, I wonder why "the last version of Windows" has an 'end of mainstream support date of October 13, 2020, on Microsoft's support lifecycle page:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Previously, people theorized those EOL dates to refer to just the current version of Windows 10. Yet, the EOL dates for mainstream and extended support haven't increased or changed with the releases of the AU, or the CU, and the lifecycle sheet currently shows the Windows 10 EOL dates to be for version 1703, which is the latest version that came out only this year.

It looks like Microsoft is giving Windows 10 a traditional shelf-life, and that there might be a new version of Windows (not Windows 10) released by 2020.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

You could check the patch notes for each Insider build since the Creators Update to see all the bugs fixed.....

I've never encountered the bugs you mentioned on my laptop but I've encountered it once on my desktop so I don't know what's going on.

Last time I downloaded Creators (3 weeks ago), all of the bugs were still present. Installed it on the tablet on purpose (Samsung XE700) and on my laptop (see below).

I honestly have no intention to upgrade until next big update. My biggest issue are not the bugs though, but the fact that MS hasn't fixed a single bug I mentioned, and they are still forcing the Creators update, albeit less then before. Last time it downloaded on my laptop with other updates even though I have blocked it with MS tool for hiding updates. They have released a security policy update for Creators in the meantime which might be the cause. I wouldn't be surprised honestly.

1 minute ago, Delicieuxz said:

There's no need to hack the registry to do that.You can use the Group Policy editor to set it to notify about updates without downloading them, or, you can disable Windows Update in Services to turn off Windows Update entirely.

i did it the hack appart the redestry way, didnt know that you could do it another way and that video was probably not out when i did it

Builds:

Spoiler