Windows 10 Fall Creators Update has a release date

AlTech
9 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i did it the hack appart the redestry way, didnt know that you could do it another way and that video was probably not out when i did it

If you have the Home edition of Windows 10, then you can't do the Group Policy method to set automatic updates to 'notify but don't download or install.' That option is only available on Windows 10 Pro, Educational, and Enterprise.

The ability to completely shut off the Windows Update service (meaning it doesn't ever contact Windows Update to check for updates, and you can't search for them manually, either) should be available in all editions, I think. It takes a few seconds to disable the Windows Update service, or to re-enable it. So, I enable it once every 2 - 3 months, and then disable it again afterwards. I'm going to leave it disabled once the "Fall CU" (Microsoft's update names are annoying, IMO) is available to avoid downloading it. Installing major MS updates is guaranteed to brick or bork a Windows 10 installation, in my experience.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

7 hours ago, Fetzie said:

Windows 10 does not offer feature updates within the first 30 days of a fresh installation.

It sure has to me before. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Somewhat related question: can you use Windows 10 without activating it and still get updates?Some say that only a small watermark appears in the corner and customization panel gets locked.

Good for improvements, features, though as far as UI dark theme for File Explorer would be amazing. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

On 9/1/2017 at 8:38 PM, Jamiec1130 said:

I'm still using Anniversary Update, but I guess this important to some people?

I'm still on build 1607 myself.  I haven't seen anything in build 1703 that made me want to bother with updating.

On 9/1/2017 at 8:46 PM, AluminiumTech said:

Normally it forces people to update.

GPEdit allows for disabling updates in Pro/Ent/Edu.

On 9/1/2017 at 8:49 PM, SnipeYa said:

I wish they gave the option to use the old control panel rather than the stupid settings app...

As @WillPJK stated, just type Control Panel into the search bar, or make a shortcut directly to it.

On 9/1/2017 at 9:26 PM, PianoPlayer88Key said:

Sure, keep up with the security fixes, but let me stay on the same general feature version for several years, unless I actually want a particular feature in a new version.

So far as I understand it, Windows 10 versions will only include 11/2 - 2 years of support before they retire them.  The only way to continue receiving security updates is to stay with build updates no more than ~3 versions apart.

On 9/1/2017 at 9:34 PM, PianoPlayer88Key said:

Other operating systems on some platforms, like Linux on NAS, etc - I've heard of them having uptime (without reboots) measured in YEARS, not days.  Why can't we have that in consumer Windows?? :(>:( 

Because Windows doesn't have the modular nature of Linux, so even relatively minor updates often require a system reboot.  Before Windows 10, I'd have uptimes of 2-3 months before I'd update and restart, so it's certainly possible.  Unfortunately, even with disabling updates in Windows 10, you still get assaulted by update reminders that take over your entire screen (unless you completely disable the update service).

On 9/2/2017 at 5:29 AM, AluminiumTech said:

Yes but this makes you ineligible for support.

To which I say, whoop-dee-doo.