Running TrueNAS under Hyper-V?

I currently have two servers: one Synology NAS and one compute server running Hyper-V. My NAS is nearing retirement, and instead of buying a new NAS, I thought I could virtualize TrueNAS and configure disk passthrough so TrueNAS has direct access to each drive. My understanding is that people shy away from virtualizing TrueNAS because the system favors direct access to the hardware. Although the system will be virtualized, the primary concern is direct access to the hard drives, which would be provided through disk passthrough. Does anyone have experience running TrueNAS under Hyper-V with disk passthrough? Is it reliable? Any gotchas? Is there any other reason, besides disk access, that people shy away from virtualizing TrueNAS?

Thanks for reading 🙂

Do you need TrueNAS? I"d be tempted to use storage spaces in windows and setup the raid there. Then you get about the same feature set(checksumming with refs, caching, multiple raid levels, snapshots, mixed drive sizes), and can easily make network shares in windows.

13 hours ago, alex75871 said:

I currently have two servers: one Synology NAS and one compute server running Hyper-V. My NAS is nearing retirement, and instead of buying a new NAS, I thought I could virtualize TrueNAS and configure disk passthrough so TrueNAS has direct access to each drive. My understanding is that people shy away from virtualizing TrueNAS because the system favors direct access to the hardware. Although the system will be virtualized, the primary concern is direct access to the hard drives, which would be provided through disk passthrough. Does anyone have experience running TrueNAS under Hyper-V with disk passthrough? Is it reliable? Any gotchas? Is there any other reason, besides disk access, that people shy away from virtualizing TrueNAS?

Thanks for reading 🙂

I have been running it like this at home for over 4 years with no problems. 

Only downside I have run into so far as that truenas can't run smart tests. 

I use hdd sentinel on the host and have it run the checks instead. 

15 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you need TrueNAS? I"d be tempted to use storage spaces in windows and setup the raid there. Then you get about the same feature set(checksumming with refs, caching, multiple raid levels, snapshots, mixed drive sizes), and can easily make network shares in windows.

I had not thought of using Storage Spaces but am seriously considering it now. The first time I used Storage Spaces was many years ago when it was relatively new, and I had a few issues setting it up, back when the CLI was the primary method of configuring it.

4 hours ago, m9x3mos said:

Interesting. Can you confirm you are using disk passthrough? I thought passthrough would allow smart tests to be run.

5 hours ago, m9x3mos said:

You're definitely passing the host controller through and not just individual disks? As S.M.A.R.T tests most definitely works on TrueNAS with smartctl 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

38 minutes ago, Jarsky said:

You're definitely passing the host controller through and not just individual disks? As S.M.A.R.T tests most definitely works on TrueNAS with smartctl 

On my older system I had to pass through the individual drives directly. I couldn't get the hba to pass into the vm with that host. 

On my newer system that one works fine with hba being passed into the vm and that one does handle smart without issue. 

OP said disk passthrough so I responded based on the older of my two systems at home. 

I suggest using an old machine to install truenas.
If not buy a very cheap old one for that, or buy a new NAS.

My understanding is ZFS is much better than anything microsoft offers.

Main Machine: CPU: 5800X3D  RAM: 32GB  GPU: RTX 3080  M/B: ASUS B550-E Storage: 2 x 256GB NVME boot, 1/2 TB NVME OS: Windows 10, Ubuntu 22.04

Server1:  M92p micro  CPU: i5-3470T  RAM: 8GB OS: Proxmox  Virtual Machines: Opnsense router, LXC containers: netboot server, download manager

Server2: CPU: 3600X  RAM: 64GB M/B MSI B450 Tomahawk  OS: Proxmox  Virtual machines: Windows 10, 3 x Ubuntu Linux, Truenas scale (16TB logical storage)