Give Warnings to people how break the CS and add it the CS page to registration page

Sir Asvald

Is the this hard to implement? I mean it's frustrating to a number of members who have been here for a while always talk about stuff which are not allowed..and they should know better. As for new people before they complete the registration, they HAVE to read it. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

2 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

As for new people before they complete the registration, they HAVE to read it.

Well, you must/should read the EULA before agreeing to it. But how many people actually do that?

i.e., no matter what you do to "force" people to read it, they'll find a way to skip it or not bother coming to the forums if it's too inconvenient to skip it.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Well, you must/should read the EULA before agreeing to it. But how many people actually do that?

i.e., no matter what you do to "force" people to read it, they'll find a way to skip it or not bother coming to the forums if it's too inconvenient to skip it.

That's their problem. Give them a warning then. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 minute ago, Abdul201588 said:

That's their problem. Give them a warning then. 

I'm going to assume the mods give people warnings in private. If you're asking to implement some public marking system, then no. You're asking for dissent and trouble. Scarlet letters rarely work as intended.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

^^^^ this

it's all about friction - if you want lots of users, especially new users, you can't make it difficult to sign up. Making them read it and take a test might be good for getting people to follow the rules, but I'm sure it would drastically reduce the number of people that get through the sign-up process.

And anyway, "talking about things that are not allowed" usually doesn't result in a warning because warnings are dealt for serious infractions, not little rule breaks. Don't be a rule stickler, that's not what makes a good community. Think about how many times you'd have been to jail if the police saw every time you broke some stupid tiny law like jaywalking or slightly speeding and thought it was SUPER important.

I used to be quite active here.

Just now, Kobathor said:

Think about how many times you'd have been to jail if the police saw every time you broke some stupid tiny law like jaywalking or slightly speeding and thought it was SUPER important.

Off Topic here: Oh trust me, here in the UK they'll give you a ticket for speeding no matter what especially if you're in a town or a street next to houses/school.. as for Jaywalking never think that is an offence. I've broken rules before and they only tell you why they've removed it. 

3 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

Making them read it and take a test might be good for getting people to follow the rules, but I'm sure it would drastically reduce the number of people that get through the sign-up process.

What the point of having rules if no one will read them. If you go to a workplace, first time at the Job, they REQUIRE you to read the rules. Even if they are "small rules". Simple, rules are rules. 

Just now, Abdul201588 said:

Off Topic here: Oh trust me, here in the UK they'll give you a ticket for speeding no matter what especially if you're in a town or a street next to houses/school.. as for Jaywalking never think that is an offence. I've broken rules before and they only tell you why they've removed it. 

Here in the USA jaywalking is "illegal" in tons of places. I put illegal in quotes 'cause I've never seen it enforced, but it's still law in lots of towns. 

2 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

What the point of having rules if no one will read them. If you go to a workplace, first time at the Job, they REQUIRE you to read the rules. Even if they are "small rules".

Here on this forum, ignorance is not an excuse. If you abuse somebody or post every new topic you make in "General Discussion," you'll get a warning. Lots of things will get you a warning. But you probably won't get warned for making a Trump joke even though it's technically political and therefore not allowed (as long as it doesn't start a flame war lol). If you see somebody blatantly breaking a rule and don't report them, don't be surprised if they aren't warned...

9 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Simple, rules are rules. 

You must be fun at parties.

1 minute ago, Kobathor said:

Here on this forum, ignorance is not an excuse. If you abuse somebody or post every new topic you make in "General Discussion," you'll get a warning.

I'm not just talking about that, I'm talking about piracy cracked software, games etc, "trying to use VPNs in schools and work of places" where the RULES state you cannot use such things. 

4 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

You must be fun at parties.

Nice joke, but I like to keep the peace and respect the places that I go to. 

1 minute ago, Abdul201588 said:

I'm not just talking about that, I'm talking about piracy cracked software, games etc, "trying to use VPNs in schools and work of places" where the RULES state you cannot use such things. 

I cannot find at a glance where the talk of VPNs is banned. I see where you can't talk about getting around tracking software, but I'd guess most IT guys at schools only block websites, not exhaustively track what you do.

3 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Nice joke, but I like to keep the peace and respect the places that I go to. 

I am one for following rules, but I'm also not one for being "that guy" that tells the teacher that Johnny brought gum to class.

This was just discussed few weeks back. Its not part of registration process yet, but should be. Warnings are actually a thing. Have been since forum started. If you look at your own profile page, there should be counter saying X Warning points. I hope for your sake its 0. When it goes over certain number or something like that, they either give timeout or straight forward ban.

1 minute ago, Kobathor said:

I cannot find at a glance where the talk of VPNs is banned. I see where you can't talk about getting around tracking software, but I'd guess most IT guys at schools only block websites, not exhaustively track what you do.

Talking generally about VPNs isn't. But if OP is stupid enough to tell what they are using it for, then maybe. If its about going around some blocking system by school, works etc, then it falls under piracy ruling.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

If its about going around some blocking system by school, works etc, then it falls under piracy ruling.

your opinion or have you experienced it? it really should be clarified in the CS- right now it only mentions getting around tracking software, not DNS blockers or anything.

Just now, Kobathor said:

your opinion or have you experienced it? it really should be clarified in the CS- right now it only mentions getting around tracking software, not DNS blockers or anything.

Moderator ruling. You can ask them @wkdpaul @Ryan_Vickers idk who more @Glenwing?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Warnings are handed out where appropriate, but to hand them out for every minor offence, particularly to new users, would considerably reduce their impact, which would be counter productive. If you feel that something violates the community standards, report it and it will be dealt with appropriately. When deciding on the action to take, we take into account a number of factors, including whether we think the user should know better.

Bear in mind that you can't see whether a user has been warned or not.

26 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Off Topic here: Oh trust me, here in the UK they'll give you a ticket for speeding no matter what especially if you're in a town or a street next to houses/school.. as for Jaywalking never think that is an offence.

In the UK you are allowed a margin of error of 10% + 2mph above the speed limit. [source]

26 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

I've broken rules before and they only tell you why they've removed it. 

Are you saying that you didn't read the Community Standards, and should therefore (by your logic) have been punished, or that you just made a mistake when posting whatever it was that you are talking about? Whichever it was, when you were contacted to tell you why it was removed, did you then go and post it again, or did you learn from that mistake, without us needing to get out the formal warnings?

HTTP/2 203

14 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

Just to clarify, the majority of schools and workplaces do log and track internet traffic, that's how they block access to certain websites or services (like VPNs or torrents) ... so yes, discussions on how to circumvent "internet filters" aren't allowed by the CS.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

21 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Just to clarify, the majority of schools and workplaces do log and track internet traffic, that's how they block access to certain websites or services (like VPNs or torrents) ... so yes, discussions on how to circumvent "internet filters" aren't allowed by the CS.

I remember in programming class, one of my mates was checking out some animated stick figures doing violent acts. Next day that site got blocked.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

7 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

I remember in programming class, one of my mates was checking out some animated stick figures doing violent acts. Next day that site got blocked.

I remember those. Back in 2003 when they were cool. Schools didn't have much blocking of things back then. People were installing game demos and such. God 'ol WinME/XP days.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I remember those. Back in 2003 when they were cool. Schools didn't have much blocking of things back then. People were installing game demos and such. God 'ol WinME/XP days.

15 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Probably dating myself as well, but I remember getting the old Flash Cartoons 'Gerbil in a Microwave' and 'Frog in a Blender' to run on the school computers...  Back in the good (bad?) old days when computer IT security was a complete joke.

1 minute ago, WMGroomAK said:

Probably dating myself as well, but I remember getting the old Flash Cartoons 'Gerbil in a Microwave' and 'Frog in a Blender' to run on the school computers...  Back in the good (bad?) old days when computer IT security was a complete joke.

I still have those interactive flash games! :D

And it's still here

http://joecartoon.com/games

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

6 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

... Back in the good (bad?) old days when computer IT security was a complete joke.

Not to mention teaching basic computer skills. Our high school teacher had D (or 5 if scale is 4 (F)-10 (A+)) from English. Meaning he didn't pronounce any words correctly.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, Abdul201588 said:

You simply let them know that you cannot help, report the thread so that a moderator can lock or delete, and move on to the next topic. This isn't a policed forum where the mods are always here (hopefully they are) and by being the first to post a "we can't help due to Community Standards", the following posters can/should take notice and exit or report the thread as well. 

If two users are battling Pokemon debating topics with concise, accurate information and are otherwise acting with "polite" or "proper" writing, let them go at it. If things fall into the category of personal attack or "red herring", just report and move on. Let the mods handle it or let the users know that the mods may close or delete posts in the thread due to their negligence or misconduct of CS. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

5 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Are you saying that you didn't read the Community Standards, and should therefore (by your logic) have been punished, or that you just made a mistake when posting whatever it was that you are talking about? Whichever it was, when you were contacted to tell you why it was removed, did you then go and post it again, or did you learn from that mistake, without us needing to get out the formal warnings?

Yes, I should have been punished and I was given a warning. It wasn't about a post. I was rude to someone. I got a warning. I accepted it. 

10 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

And now one retard dicks up, watches an edgy YouTube video, YouTube gets walled off and it takes all the teachers in the district bitching before the IT idiots realize what happened (not even kidding when I say it happened at my old school).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Dude just got handed L's like *snap!* that. 

A public warning system would do little other than piss people off, and rightfully so. If someone is warned multiple times for one thing and they don't learn, then disciplinary action is taken. No reason to make it the center of attention. 

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Considering how hard Linus is pushing Tunnel Bear, I don't imagine a general discussion about VPN is going to net much of backlash.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430