Shipping Tech when moving to another country

Hey LTT forum,

I've recently received an amazing opportunity and will be relocating to the USA from Australia later this year. I was wondering, what methods people would recommend for getting my PC over to the USA? I still have all the original packaging for my case and components and plan to either (a) take it as checked baggage or (b) ship it the week before I fly over. I will be removing the GPU to avoid damage to pins during transportation. I've included a link below to my parts list and case (yes it's a big case).聽馃檪

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/AFossilFreak/saved/WZyRFT

I moved from the US to EU during the tail end of COVID and, with GPU prices at a record high again, I also took my PC with me. It would have been way more expensive to buy those parts new, heck I could have sold my 2 year old GPU for a hefty profit back then.

Basically I disassembled it into Mobo with CPU and SSD still in, while GPU, RAM, other SSD got their own packaging again. PSU, case, Monitor, peripherals all stayed (sold, gave to friends/colleagues). While I had to buy new ones, it would have been more expensive to ship them.

You can try to ship it, especially if you also plan on shipping a lot of other big items (i.e. furniture etc.). Then I'd disassemble most stuff, place in their boxes and then put with the rest for shipping. SSDs I would take with me on the plane.

But I would not recommend shipping the whole system over on its own, packaging and insurance might be more than the extra you might have to pay to buy new parts, especially if you can take the costly big ticket items (CPU, GPU, Mobo, RAM) with you.

BTW, the link to the PC Parts Picker List is set to private.

1 hour ago, GarlicDeliverySystem said:

I moved from the US to EU during the tail end of COVID and, with GPU prices at a record high again, I also took my PC with me. It would have been way more expensive to buy those parts new, heck I could have sold my 2 year old GPU for a hefty profit back then.

Basically I disassembled it into Mobo with CPU and SSD still in, while GPU, RAM, other SSD got their own packaging again. PSU, case, Monitor, peripherals all stayed (sold, gave to friends/colleagues). While I had to buy new ones, it would have been more expensive to ship them.

You can try to ship it, especially if you also plan on shipping a lot of other big items (i.e. furniture etc.). Then I'd disassemble most stuff, place in their boxes and then put with the rest for shipping. SSDs I would take with me on the plane.

But I would not recommend shipping the whole system over on its own, packaging and insurance might be more than the extra you might have to pay to buy new parts, especially if you can take the costly big ticket items (CPU, GPU, Mobo, RAM) with you.

BTW, the link to the PC Parts Picker List is set to private.

Thanks for the info. It didn't even cross my mind that I wouldn't be able to take screens across, I only thought the main power supply would have to be swapped out.

The only stuff I plan on shipping is some books and scientific equipment. Furniture is easier to buy over there than ship for me since I will be downsizing from an Au home to a US apartment 馃槢.

I updated the PC Parts Picker List.

50 minutes ago, AFossilFreak said:

The only stuff I plan on shipping is some books and scientific equipment. Furniture is easier to buy over there than ship for me since I will be downsizing from an Au home to a US apartment 馃槢.

In that case I'd look at the shipping costs per volume and weight vs buying stuff new. Especially considering you are going into the US, where you can get stuff for good prices compared to AU I'd assume. Some examples:

• PSU makes almost no sense to send over, it is pretty heavy and will cost about same/more in shipping than buying a comparable new one over in the US.
  • Case, probably a nice one but also heavy and unless you want to put it on a ship and wait 6 months, you won't be flying that thing over for less than the price of a new, comparable one.
  • Screens: again, no sense in flying two 250$ screens over there for probably 150$+ each.
  • Keyboard and mouse you might put in your luggage, if you have the weight to spare.

GPU and Mobo/CPU combo might make good sense, if you can squeeze them in the checked luggage. Especially when you get two suitcases anyway.