Apple is revealing the Iphone 8 on the 12th of September

Shreyas1
7 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

This is only because they were saving ideas for the 8. 

Its a combo of the 8 being the 10th anniversary of the iPhone and the 7 being a new number but you still want the iPhone 8 to be really cool and feature packed for the 10th year anniversary. 

Lets face it, its going to be the single most radical upgrade to an iPhone in history. No home button, no bezels, OLED, wireless charging, 3D facial scanning, and the design itself is a pretty radical departure. These are all new for Apple.

And I get why they chose to make the 7 a refresh. But there should have been an 8 priced at the usual $650, an 8+ priced at the usual $750 ($770), and no 7s/7s+. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

And I get why they chose to make the 7 a refresh. But there should have been an 8 priced at the uual $650 and an 8+ priced at the usual $750 ($770) and no 7s/7s+. 

Remember what company we are talking about here. 

Margins, margins, margins, margins! 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

Remember what company we are talking about here. 

Margins, margins, margins, margins! 

25 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Yeah, but the 7s/+ are rumored to be incremental improvements on the 7. The 8 is what the 7 really should have been in the first place. So, Apple price hiking the 8 is disappointing. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

gonna be hard to do something better than the V30, i mean: quad-freakin-DAC everywhere?! And not just a randomly picked region of the world. My mind got already blown yesterday, it'd going to be hard to top that 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

4 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

gonna be hard to do something better than the V30, i mean: quad-freakin-DAC everywhere?! And not just a randomly picked region of the world. My mind got already blown yesterday, it'd going to be hard to top that 

Unless the V30 can run iOS, it has already been beaten in my mind. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Unless the V30 can run iOS, it has already been beaten in my mind. 

that's a positive to me. How can i live without all the functions i've created on Tasker through out the years since i've left the i5

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

21 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

that's a positive to me. How can i live without all the functions i've created on Tasker through out the years since i've left the i5

Then this phone is not for you.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

I’m actually interested.

If they can hide that cutout well, it might be my next phone 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Apple will only make the iPhone in America when it becomes beneficial to the share holders. 

There is a reason people don't make stuff in America and probably never will anymore.....You can't compete with someone who will work just for food and maybe shelter!

Exactly but they'll probably move them back if or when they can be made by robots. Right now (locally speaking), some companies have given up on outsourcing manufacturing to China and moved it back home because robots and automation are available. So it's not exactly bringing back manufacturing jobs as some would try to convince us would happen.

Robots are better and cheaper long term while allowing you more control of manufacturing.

Apple wouldn't make iPhones domestically unless it was more cost effective which would require most of the assembly line to be automated.

In a statement by a wireless charging company they said that the next "iPhone's" will have the same technology as the their products. So 70/30 chance of wireless charging on 7s, 7s Plus and 8

----EDIT----

Actual statement from RAVpower (Battery company and wireless charging supplier) sent to tech review company Mashable said that their first commercial wireless charging pad will be for: "Next gen Apple devices"

Edited by Catastrophic Failure

------(]CATASTROPHIC FAILURE[)------

3 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

No iPhone has been subsidized at launch since carriers got rid of contracts afaik. 

I'm not sure how it is where you live but a lot of people buy phones on Contract here.

3 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Yeah, but the 7s/+ are rumored to be incremental improvements on the 7. The 8 is what the 7 really should have been in the first place. So, Apple price hiking the 8 is disappointing. 

^^

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Hmmm.... I am excited for this. 

But I won't be interested buying any iphone soon. 

My SE is still hold up pretty good, got it this year only. 

I am excited for this event.

But I am way more pumped up for next year's mac pro revamp. 

I only do so many things on my phone, but mac is irreplaceable. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

4 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

And I get why they chose to make the 7 a refresh. But there should have been an 8 priced at the usual $650, an 8+ priced at the usual $750 ($770), and no 7s/7s+. 

If you look at the early rumors that was the actual plan. But apparently production costs for the new model is much higher due to a custom OLED screen, 3D Sensing cameras, new implementation of force touch, wireless charging and 3D circuitry. Also there were alot of delays and the new model will be severly limited until next year.

sources here, here and here

But witha recent rumor, Apple is planning to introduce a 6” iphone next year and theyre well ahead of schedule due to manufacturing problems they are currently facing. This would mean that theyll be introducing an 8S Plus model next year and probably finish of the current design with 7S. And I highly doubt apple will maintain a higher price for bezelles series of phones next year as competition in smartphone industry is getting alot more intense day by day especially with the rise of cheap really good android smartphones. And I think the only  reason 7S is going to exist is because of 8’s price tag. This doesnt mean i think theyll reduce the prize to sub 600 dollars but it would probably be same as current iPhones

source here

But alas, all the haters are going to go nuts when the iPhone 8 will officially launch with a higher price tag...

7 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Apple has been doing this for years. Its a perfectly valid strategy. 

And considering how big a leap the "s" usually is when it comes to internal hardware, I'm pretty fine with it.

6s for example. A9 was an awesome SoC. 2gb ram instead of 1gb. NVMe controller which led to much better responsiveness. TBH, 6s is one of the few iPhones I would actually consider buying (partially due to it just being an awesome phone, and partially because all the android phones that year weren't great whether it was because of SD810 or other reasons)

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I just want an internal update to the SE and I'll be happy. Keep the size and design and the price tag that comes with it.

6 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Exactly but they'll probably move them back if or when they can be made by robots. Right now (locally speaking), some companies have given up on outsourcing manufacturing to China and moved it back home because robots and automation are available. So it's not exactly bringing back manufacturing jobs as some would try to convince us would happen.

Robots are better and cheaper long term while allowing you more control of manufacturing.

Apple wouldn't make iPhones domestically unless it was more cost effective which would require most of the assembly line to be automated.

The funny thing is, it isn't really the cost of employment that drives it as it is flexibility.

China has many, many more people who have just the right level of education and experience for factory work, and their work stints may only last a few months at at time.  Facing unexpected demand for your product?  There are 3,000 qualified people who can start work at the factory today.

Contrast that with the US, where the people who are qualified at all tend to be overqualified.  If you have a college degree in engineering or another related field, are you going to work at a factory even if they pay you fairly well?  Probably not.  And it could take months to amass enough talent even if a company does find everyone it needs.

For Apple, I suspect automation is less about cost and more about this kind of flexibility.  If you have a mostly automated production line, you just have to add more machines to keep up.

I think I'll go with the 7s to replace my 6s. The 8 looks intriguing, but I think I want to keep my "S" cycle intact.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

5 hours ago, DocSwag said:

And considering how big a leap the "s" usually is when it comes to internal hardware, I'm pretty fine with it.

6s for example. A9 was an awesome SoC. 2gb ram instead of 1gb. NVMe controller which led to much better responsiveness. TBH, 6s is one of the few iPhones I would actually consider buying (partially due to it just being an awesome phone, and partially because all the android phones that year weren't great whether it was because of SD810 or other reasons)

Since @DrMacintosh was responding to me with that quote, I'll follow up. 

I don't have a problem with what Apple does with the S-models either, and I also don't have an issue with Apple holding off and making the 7 another s-model as they wanted to make the 10th anniversary the big change. So I'm fine with all of that. I'm just dissappointed that they're going to be releasing the 8 as a new tier of device. 

I'm more than likely going to buy a >=64gb iPhone 8 (although rumors are pointing to it being 128gb minimum), but I'm still not "happy" with the fact that it's rumored to start around $1000 instead of $750 ($770) / ($870).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'm probably going to procrastinate upgrading my 7+ for a few months after launch.  It'll make it easier to *buy* one too when they're in better stock.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

I'm pretty excited as sad as that sounds. 

I've been wanting to jump ships to iOS for a few months now, and considering how much anticipation there is for the next iPhone, I'll be down for it if it delivers.  

4 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

but I'm still not "happy" with the fact that it's rumored to start around $1000 instead of $750 ($770) / ($870).

Pretty reasonable. If we could all pay less for cool stuff that would be great xD  

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

5 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Since @DrMacintosh was responding to me with that quote, I'll follow up. 

I don't have a problem with what Apple does with the S-models either, and I also don't have an issue with Apple holding off and making the 7 another s-model as they wanted to make the 10th anniversary the big change. So I'm fine with all of that. I'm just dissappointed that they're going to be releasing the 8 as a new tier of device. 

I'm more than likely going to buy a >=64gb iPhone 8 (although rumors are pointing to it being 128gb minimum), but I'm still not "happy" with the fact that it's rumored to start around $1000 instead of $750 ($770) / ($870).

TBH, I'm not happy about that high of a price tag. But at the same time, these are completely rumored things and nowhere near confirmed. So I would wait a week and a half for official confirmation.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

TBH, I'm not happy about that high of a price tag. But at the same time, these are completely rumored things and nowhere near confirmed. So I would wait a week and a half for official confirmation.

They are rumors, but I'll be very surprised if they're not fairly accurate. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler