Usb wifi any good?

Go to solution Solved by tkitch,

USB Wifi nuggets are mostly garbage.

Even when using them within 10' of the router, the cheap ones tend to be flaky in the connection.

PCIE is dramatically better if you can do it.

Spoiler

Screenshot_20240513-100417.thumb.jpg.d51ce5adb3e89e1e4031aa0c54fa201b.jpgScreenshot_20240513-100616.thumb.jpg.30b588339aad7ce719c10c737f4cdff2.jpg

4$ and 1.7$ respectively

If they can actually work decently then theyd be an interesting option instead of having to take up a pcie slot maybe even blocking things they can take up some usb slot i wasnt even using

Spoiler

Screenshot_20240513-100459.thumb.jpg.7a340c9417fa91f4bd24bd0304a4e7fe.jpg

Heres the pcie wifi card im also looking at for 4$ used

Spoiler

Screenshot_20240513-100538.thumb.jpg.314c62e8b1e076cadd8bed423945031a.jpg

Kinda skceptical of usb wifi cause i bought one of these off aliexpress for my first build and the stupid thing didnt even work and the cd it came with was broken

Just wanna know if usb wifi is any good otherwise ill just stick to a pcie wifi card

Why do you care about using up a PCIE slot? I've heard lots of people "complain" about this lately and I don't understand it. Most people have a GPU and that's it.

And no, USB wifi cards are not good. They have never been reliable.

1 minute ago, johnt said:

Why do you care about using up a PCIE slot? I've heard lots of people "complain" about this lately and I don't understand it. Most people have a GPU and that's it.

its more like id rather not have it getting in the way of me placing fans and whatnot on northbridges vrms etc. on boards where i can put it behind the gpu

i have a gpu and a pci debug card to deal with and some mobos have a stupid layout where the pcie x1 is in front of the pcie x16 where it might block the gpu, and i also have a tendancy to run a bunch of fans be it cooling something on the board or just pointing em at me

a usb wifi i can just stick it on the rear i/o and not worry about it blocking anything, or if it blocks the rear i/o ill just use a usb header and shove it somewhere else

I've never had a problem with them not working, the speed just usually kinda sucks. You have to consider that there are extra hoops to pass through causing bandwith issues. Instead of CPU to Pcie to network card you are passing through the usb controller instead.

Evidently usb 2 caps out at 480mbps. I'd argue that depending on placement, a 150 mbps usb interface might actually be better than through pcie when they are specced to the same speeds since you can probably stick the antenna closer to router (not blocked by pc). I would get one with an antenna though.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU:  Intel Core i7-14700K
CPU Cooler: Deepcool LT720
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000

Storage 1: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB

Storage 2: Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB
Video Card: EVGA XC3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x2)
Monitor Main: MSI G274QPF-QD 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

4 minutes ago, TylerD321 said:

I've never had a problem with them not working, the speed just usually kinda sucks. You have to consider that there are extra hoops to pass through causing bandwith issues. Instead of CPU to Pcie to network card you are passing through the usb controller instead.

Evidently usb 2 caps out at 480mbps. I'd argue that depending on placement, a 150 mbps usb interface might actually be better than through pcie when they are specced to the same speeds since you can probably stick the antenna closer to router (not blocked by pc). I would get one with an antenna though.

i run an open bench rather than a pc in a case

Spoiler

IMG_20240226_015129.thumb.jpg.4ff4e0ce7f736ba5c47ff0a33d5b92bc.jpg

probs gonna be using this for the most part cause i wanna sub my mem freq shenanigans and my stupid pci wifi card wont work on the thing not to mention i cant use my postcode with it

high speed isnt a neccesity just need it to be tolerable, home wifi is still wifi 4 afaik

still leaning on pcie wifi cards though since the usb tplink ones im looking at arent that much cheaper and i would prefer it to be reliable rather than an annoying thing that needs to be reseated multiple times just for it to work (looking at you stupid pci w851n wifi card)

Even when using them within 10' of the router, the cheap ones tend to be flaky in the connection.

16 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Welp its settled then ill just go for pcie wifi

Now im just gonna debate on wether or not i wanna buy the wifi card first or do i buy some 8gb ecc sticks based on 2gbit d die

Spoiler

Screenshot_20240513-111505.thumb.jpg.3e6e8a06ceed8677bb0a5d8ef1ddbba7.jpg

And then im gonna have to debate even further on wether i buy this or buy some hynix 4gbit mfr/1gbit bfr/dfr or more gdie sticks cause i have some suspicions that even my best gdie stick might not even be able to hit 3600 once that w3680 arrives

Its now pcie wifi vs overclocking 2rx4 ecc sticks (probably not much past 3000 if it doesnt hit pcb wall first) vs getting better sticks thatll do 3600+

Desicions decisions =p