Should I set my mobo to intel stock limits for 13th gen i7?

Been reading a lot about how mobo stock settings are bad for intel 13/14 gen. I picked up a 13700k and it being a beefy chip im wondering if I should set everything power related to intel’s stock settings on my z790 Tomahawk. I honestly don’t know how to do that since ive never dabbled in OC in BIOS. Is this worth it and what is a good guide to change ALL the settings to intels recommended limits.

13 minutes ago, vortexx21 said:

Been reading a lot about how mobo stock settings are bad for intel 13/14 gen.

So it's a bit more complicated than that. The issue is that a lot of higher end motherboards undervolt the CPUs by default, and because of that, a some i9s and a couple i7s are crashing at stock. Some of these CPUs are fixed with adjusting the power limits (not all, but most), and the rest are usually fixed by adjusting the AC loadline and/or enabling enabling CEP. 

If you don't have stability issues though, I see no reason to do that. The stock power limits (unlimited) tend to cause these chips to run hot, but shouldn't damage them or anything. Given it's a 13700K, that really shouldn't have issues, and since even at stock settings it shouldn't be riding the power limits that hard anyway. 

21 minutes ago, vortexx21 said:

Been reading a lot about how mobo stock settings are bad for intel 13/14 gen. I picked up a 13700k and it being a beefy chip im wondering if I should set everything power related to intel’s stock settings on my z790 Tomahawk. I honestly don’t know how to do that since ive never dabbled in OC in BIOS. Is this worth it and what is a good guide to change ALL the settings to intels recommended limits.

Nobody seems to know on the 1x700 chips.  But when I installed my 14700k I was asked what kind of cooler I had and stock cooler was an option (funny, seeing as no such thing exists for that CPU) and it said it set the 250W limit.

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If you don't have stability issues though, I see no reason to do that. The stock power limits (unlimited) tend to cause these chips to run hot, but shouldn't damage them or anything. Given it's a 13700K, that really shouldn't have issues, and since even at stock settings it shouldn't be riding the power limits that hard anyway. 

The point is a lot WEREN'T unstable at first, because if it IS causing degradation that you wont have stability issues until it has degraded, at which point you've already shaved years off the CPUs life.

I've not see any mention of motherboards undervolting, typically they tend to push the voltages too high.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

6 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

The point is a lot WEREN'T unstable at first, because if it IS causing degradation that you wont have stability issues until it has degraded, at which point you've already shaved years off the CPUs life.

I've not see any mention of motherboards undervolting, typically they tend to push the voltages too high.

These newer BIOSes have lower AC loadline than what was set before from what I've seen, and lower AC loadline settings lead to lower system voltage. As far as I'm concerned, that's the issue. 

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

These newer BIOSes have lower AC loadline than what was set before from what I've seen, and lower AC loadline settings lead to lower system voltage. As far as I'm concerned, that's the issue. 

Which implies the voltage was too high before, not under-volted.

Its all very annoying as I can't update the BIOS on my server as its running Linux, and MSI in their infinite wisdom have no way to flash the ME outside of Windows and the newer BIOS needs a newer ME.

Guess I'm going to have to manually check AC loadline, assuming it can be set manually?  As my 14700K hits 100C on single-core loads, which is insane.  For now I just underclocked it to 4.3Ghz.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

3 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Which implies the voltage was too high before, not under-volted.

No, it implies the voltage was fine before, and now they're undervolted. If you end up enabling those Intel baseline specs, they always end up raising the voltage from what it does at stock, and in some instances it can be rather insane. 

The voltage was quite a bit lower before and the current was blazingly high. Now on Gigabyte with the more recent BIOS for example the voltages could go well above 1.5V (and according to Intel spec up to 1.72V which is absolutely ridiculous imo) and the current got very limited which lead to significantly lower multi-core performance and the performance on Gigabyte was significantly worse than on MSI or ASUS for example as the Intel "recommended" spec is basically a large spectrum of various values and not set in stone. This whole situation is a joke. Intel is as much to blame here as the OEM vendors.

42 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Guess I'm going to have to manually check AC loadline, assuming it can be set manually?  As my 14700K hits 100C on single-core loads, which is insane.  For now I just underclocked it to 4.3Ghz.

Yeah it can be set manually. MSI boards call it Lite Load control, and in order to truly set it manually you need to set that to advanced mode. 

I did just check on my board and 13900K though (Z690 Unify-X), and on a not-quite launch BIOS (A8) and the currently latest AG BIOs revision they both default to 0.5 mOhms, so that part I misremembered. However, if you actually run Cinebench R23 and let it loop, the A8 BIOS would consistently read about 10mV higher under load compared to the AG BIOS (~1.235V vs. 1.225V), which on the worse chips is enough to cause a crash (mine being one of them). 

38 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Now on Gigabyte with the more recent BIOS for example the voltages could go well above 1.5V (and according to Intel spec up to 1.72V which is absolutely ridiculous imo)

1.72v?

Even thats a stretch on 45nm

I think theyve really  lost their marbles this time