Well this can't be good, Vega 64 could be great for mining

DoctorWho1975
10 hours ago, PC Eternal said:

Vega won't be a hit with the miners as it is too expensive. With a MSRP of $399 U.S. for the cheapest card if you times that by 20 it is £7980. Miners are not going to be paying a lot more for only a 3% increase in profits. They will stick with the cards they have got. If I am wrong disregard this post

The problem is that its a lot more than 3% increase in profits. a lot more

you almost double if not triple profits depending on what you were running before. - the ROI is very strong - if rumors are true

EX- Host of CanadaComputers CCHotSpot

Ask me in PM why - if your wondering...

33 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

Well if the performance of Vega is as expected in games then it's fine that miners buy the cards because not many will else.

I expect the vega56 to be popular amongst gamers. I.e. The gtx 1070 competitor.

Because it's a cut down, lower clocked version of the flagship. Being so late to market AMD basically had the luxury of starting with full fat vega, and then down tuning it's configuration in order to create a next tier SKU. But now they know where they should settle on in order to remain comfortably faster than the gtx 1070.

Whereas the vega64 is already a fully unlocked part. So even though they want it to be clearly faster than a 1080 in any game they cannot just add more ROPs or TUs now. Those decisions were made years ago. And they cannot keep ramping up clock speed indefinitely. So they had to settle on a Vega64 air cooled stock version which only 'trades blows' with the GTX 1080... The water cooled version and the after market ones from sapphire Asus etc will be faster but again probably no faster than aftermarket overclocked 1080s.

11 hours ago, ravenshrike said:

At his rate they're going to have to start adding a chip whose only purpose is to log uptime, voltage, and temperature and then decline RMA's that exceed a set limit.

Good bye to Overlocking, Folding, BOINC, etc.

I like my folding, BOINC, and mining.  Especially considering all my computers run 24/7.

The biggest question, at what power draw was the card running when it did these MH/s?  When mining seriously, one don't go full bore unless they are not paying the electric bill.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

And now Vega might as well not exist.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Is it any surprise it's good at mining? It's an AMD card using the GCN architecture. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

With the 1070 now being used for mining, the Vega 56 is 100 dollars cheaper so its safe to say they'll be snapped up.

10 minutes ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

With the 1070 now being used for mining, the Vega 56 is 100 dollars cheaper so its safe to say they'll be snapped up.

Assuming the original leaks of between 70 and 100 MH's are true you'll easily see Vega 64 break $800 and probably $900. Hell, at 100 MH's I wouldn't be surprised if they broke $1000.

ok right, yes this is bad for gamers, but same time it is good for AMD and miners. Because good mining hash rates means they can mine faster etc. and it also means AMD can sell lots of cards, which obviously is a good thing for them in their position, That and also they are making vega slightly less appealing to miners and more towards gamers, so that's also good. So lets be honest this is a shame if your a gamer, but miners and AMD anit going to be complaining if it means they make money off it

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

1 hour ago, grimreeper132 said:

ok right, yes this is bad for gamers, but same time it is good for AMD and miners. Because good mining hash rates means they can mine faster etc. and it also means AMD can sell lots of cards, which obviously is a good thing for them in their position, That and also they are making vega slightly less appealing to miners and more towards gamers, so that's also good. So lets be honest this is a shame if your a gamer, but miners and AMD anit going to be complaining if it means they make money off it

I don't mind if AMD themselves jack up the prices of the cards and make the extra $$$. But what inevitably happens is AMD sells at normal prices and Newegg, amazon etc inflate it and make the extra margins.

28 minutes ago, Humbug said:

I don't mind if AMD themselves jack up the prices of the cards and make the extra $$$. But what inevitably happens is AMD sells at normal prices and Newegg, amazon etc inflate it and make the extra margins.

i've not seen them do that from THEIR side, but from the MARKETPLACE side, the rules are quite a bit different. If you see inflated prices, it's near certain you're looking at a marketplace vendor.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic