Well this can't be good, Vega 64 could be great for mining

DoctorWho1975
Just now, cj09beira said:

i see your point now, in big scale it might be better yes 

I mean, I could be wrong.

I'm making the assumption that it's the mining "farms" that are the problem and not the small time individuals running a couple of cards.

If this isn't the case, then I completely agree with you :P

Just now, rhyseyness said:

I mean, I could be wrong.

I'm making the assumption that it's the mining "farms" that are the problem and not the small time individuals running a couple of cards.

If this isn't the case, then I completely agree with you :P

im with you on the mining farms being the main problem

7 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Intended use? Hardware is hardware. Next thing you know, we'll have threads complaining about those greedy servers buying out and increasing the price of all those ridiculously high end CPUs we poor gamers want. 

I'm surprised how little people like free markets in this forum, being North-America-based and all. 

My issue is with the miners artificially inflating the price for the rest of us.  I'm all for the free market, but that doesn't mean I have to like paying twice what a product is actually worth, because of a few people limiting the supply for everyone else.  Should only the rich be allowed to own video cards for gaming?  I say nay.

8 hours ago, rhyseyness said:

AMD get money, we get cheap used cards for now and cheap used cards in the future... what is possibly bad about this?

Also, lol at all the people saying "Why are you doing this AMD?"

If I was them I'd be making these cards even more mining oriented.

The problem is, we don't know what condition those used cards are in.  Also, many manufacturers have had to deal with RMA's from these miners.  Then they're stuck with a bunch of worthless cards that they've been forced to replace for free, essentially halving (or worse) the profitability of them.

That would be awesome if Vega is a killer mining card. Maybe the douchebags can buy those cards up instead of Volta.

5 hours ago, cj09beira said:

not enough of them 

Hopefully there will be initially though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

5 hours ago, Jito463 said:

My issue is with the miners artificially inflating the price for the rest of us.  I'm all for the free market, but that doesn't mean I have to like paying twice what a product is actually worth, because of a few people limiting the supply for everyone else. 

You are not for free market whey you call free market prices "artificially inflated". The product is "actually worth" whatever the marginal buyer is willing to pay for it. That's how the free market allocates resources with alternative uses. 

BTW, miners are on the demand side, so they certainly don't limit the supply of anything. 

Vega won't be a hit with the miners as it is too expensive. With a MSRP of $399 U.S. for the cheapest card if you times that by 20 it is £7980. Miners are not going to be paying a lot more for only a 3% increase in profits. They will stick with the cards they have got. If I am wrong disregard this post

9 minutes ago, PC Eternal said:

Vega won't be a hit with the miners as it is too expensive. With a MSRP of $399 U.S. for the cheapest card if you times that by 20 it is £7980. Miners are not going to be paying a lot more for only a 3% increase in profits. They will stick with the cards they have got. If I am wrong disregard this post

They can also fit twice the cards in the same space. That in itself is a useful bonus.

41 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

They can also fit twice the cards in the same space. That in itself is a useful bonus.

Aren't they all dual slot cards? Or you talking power draw? Not sure how you can fit twice the number of cards when they are physically the same size.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Aren't they all dual slot cards? Or you talking power draw? Not sure how you can fit twice the number of cards when they are physically the same size.

I should rephrase that. You can fit twice the performance in the same space.

Well, atleast AMD tried to keep miners away from it with the bundles....

Hopefully they can come up with another way to keep stock to gamers; it's way better for business for them after all (no bullshit RMA's, more recognition, higher reputation due to lower failure rate, publicity etc)

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

if miners are going to eat up all the supply I hope AMD increases their prices temporarily and makes the extra margins. I would rather that than have amazon/newegg etc make a killing.

13 minutes ago, Armakar said:

Well, atleast AMD tried to keep miners away from it with the bundles....

Hopefully they can come up with another way to keep stock to gamers; it's way better for business for them after all (no bullshit RMA's, more recognition, higher reputation due to lower failure rate, publicity etc)

At his rate they're going to have to start adding a chip whose only purpose is to log uptime, voltage, and temperature and then decline RMA's that exceed a set limit.

16 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

At his rate they're going to have to start adding a chip whose only purpose is to log uptime, voltage, and temperature and then decline RMA's that exceed a set limit.

That's what I was thinking this morning, but I'd decide against it as some people really do game enough that they'd exceed that in no time. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

That's what I was thinking this morning, but I'd decide against it as some people really do game enough that they'd exceed that in no time. 

They could make their warranty like on vehicles: 3 years or 30,000 hours (yes, I know that tallies to more than 3 years of run time :P ).

Just now, ARikozuM said:

I was thinking of a chip that only logged in 10 minute increments. Then started a new file every time the chip was at less than 30% usage for longer than 10 minutes. And no, there are no gamers who game at the same curve as miners. When you mine you either mine 24/7 or in very specific increments that coincide with cheaper electricity and it would be pretty obvious..

6 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

They could make their warranty like on vehicles: 3 years or 30,000 hours (yes, I know that tallies to more than 3 years of run time :P ).

So, 0dB fans are idling? No oil changes?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

11 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

I was thinking of a chip that only logged in 10 minute increments. Then started a new file every time the chip was at less than 30% usage for longer than 10 minutes. And no, there are no gamers who game at the same curve as miners. When you mine you either mine 24/7 or in very specific increments that coincide with cheaper electricity and it would be pretty obvious..

The way that I "solved" it was by making a log of how many GPU's were connected and for how differently they ran at full force. Red flags could pop up if they ran at full in tandem without the inconsistency seen even in compute programs and SLI gaming. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

39 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

21 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Maybe the longer term solution is for AMD to work with the mining algorithm developers and start making ASICs for them specifically rather than just put out cards with no video outputs.

Vega has huge INT8 performance as well as FP16 so maybe work together to allow an ASIC that can only do INT8 or INT8 and FP16 then rework Vega to a mining revision that can only do that but even faster than Vega itself. That would make it actually impossible for games to run on the ASIC (no FP32) and give a reason for miners to buy the mining ASIC over the gaming card.

As long as it's heavily based on a gaming GPU to keep development cost down while giving both better performance and lower power draw giving an even greater perf/watt miners wouldn't even consider buying the gaming GPU.

Edit:

And it would still allow gamers + casual miners like me to still do it but at a lesser ROI.

10 hours ago, PC Eternal said:

where did you get 3% increase in profits from ?

2 minutes ago, Humbug said:

where did you get 3% increase in profits from ?

Agreed.

An RX 480 or 580 gets around 30MH/s

If this rumor is true it's a 250% to 350% increase in hash rate per card. Assuming power draw is double over the RX 580, that's still a pretty healthy boost to profits.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Well if the performance of Vega is as expected in games then it's fine that miners buy the cards because not many will else.