Can i boil my tap water and drink it?

So... odd question indeed, but i need to know if i can drink tap boiled water... Dont ask why , or say ''just go down to the nearest... blah blah'' Just say some cautions and a simple ''yes'' or ''no'' would actuallly be much more helpful. 

Location : greece , athens . So yeah my tap water here is running through ''advanced'' pipes so i dont rly have to worry about anything as if i was living in africa or sth . 

In essence now... can i drink tap boiled water? ( I allready have it boiled xD i just need the yes so that i can pour it in a bottle and freeze it )

Yes, just put in fridge when it has cool to room temp.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

11 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Uhh... Unless there's been some kind of warning issued by your municipality, you can also drink unboiled tap water. o.O

16 minutes ago, GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls said:

So... odd question indeed, but i need to know if i can drink tap boiled water... Dont ask why , or say ''just go down to the nearest... blah blah'' Just say some cautions and a simple ''yes'' or ''no'' would actuallly be much more helpful.

You really have a thing for doing anything and everything that ISN'T what is written in the post, don't you?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

14 minutes ago, GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls said:

Location : greece , athens . So yeah my tap water here is running through ''advanced'' pipes so i dont rly have to worry about anything as if i was living in africa or sth . 

In essence now... can i drink tap boiled water? ( I allready have it boiled xD i just need the yes so that i can pour it in a bottle and freeze it )

The answer isn't a simple yes or no.

Generally speaking, boiling tap water will kill most types of bacteria and pathogens that you should be worried about. There's nothing inherently unsafe about boiled tap water - it's safer than unboiled tap water, certainly.

However, unless your local government has issued a boil drinking water warning, this should probably be unnecessary.

If you're worried about gross local water from a well or something, you should consider purchasing a water purification system that includes UV lights for killing pathogens.

Also: Certain things will still be dangerous after boiling the water, including heavy water, lots of minerals, heavy alkali or heavy acid, or certain types of algae. Boiling water under these conditions will NOT keep you safe.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Yes, you can.

You shouldn't drink distilled water (which you can obtain by boiling water and letting the vapors condense in another bottle) because it lacks minerals and other things that are important for you body. It won't hurt it, unless you do it for long periods.

See http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317698.php or http://www.mercola.com/article/water/distilled_water.htm

Many health fanatics, however, are often surprised to hear me say that drinking distilled water on a regular, daily basis is potentially dangerous.

Paavo Airola wrote about the dangers of distilled water in the 1970's when it first became a fad with the health food crowd.

Distillation is the process in which water is boiled, evaporated and the vapour condensed. Distilled water is free of dissolved minerals and, because of this, has the special property of being able to actively absorb toxic substances from the body and eliminate them. Studies validate the benefits of drinking distilled water when one is seeking to cleanse or detoxify the system for short periods of time (a few weeks at a time).

Fasting using distilled water can be dangerous because of the rapid loss of electrolytes (sodium, potassium, chloride) and trace minerals like magnesium, deficiencies of which can cause heart beat irregularities and high blood pressure. Cooking foods in distilled water pulls the minerals out of them and lowers their nutrient value.

Distilled water is an active absorber and when it comes into contact with air, it absorbs carbon dioxide, making it acidic. The more distilled water a person drinks, the higher the body acidity becomes.

According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, "Distilled water, being essentially mineral-free, is very aggressive, in that it tends to dissolve substances with which it is in contact. Notably, carbon dioxide from the air is rapidly absorbed, making the water acidic and even more aggressive. Many metals are dissolved by distilled water."

The most toxic commercial beverages that people consume (i.e. cola beverages and other soft drinks) are made from distilled water. Studies have consistently shown that heavy consumers of soft drinks (with or without sugar) spill huge amounts of calcium, magnesium and other trace minerals into the urine.

The more mineral loss, the greater the risk for osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, hypothyroidism, coronary artery disease, high blood pressure and a long list of degenerative diseases generally associated with premature aging.

A growing number of health care practitioners and scientists from around the world have been advocating the theory that aging and disease is the direct result of the accumulation of acid waste products in the body.

5 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Yes, you can.

You shouldn't drink distilled water (which you can obtain by boiling water and letting the vapors condense in another bottle) because it lacks minerals and other things that are important for you body. It won't hurt it, unless you do it for long periods.

See http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317698.php or http://www.mercola.com/article/water/distilled_water.htm

Boiling tap water will not produce distilled water, because that's not the purpose of it. The OP would specifically have to setup a vapor capture system to obtain distilled water.

Boiling water enough to heat it without boiling away all the water is sufficient for killing most typical bacteria that would be encountered doing a boil water advisory. In such a case, most of the minerals, etc, would be retained within the water, and the ppm concentration shouldn't change by any appreciable difference.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Gotta love me some "can I do this and refuse to give context" posts.

Up there with "how to make fast easy money online because I'm too lazy to work"

"Does this psu bottleneck my case"

"I'm 17 and I want to open a computer building business and make 5k/mo"

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

5 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

Gotta love me some "can I do this and refuse to give context" posts.

Up there with "how to make fast easy money online because I'm too lazy to work"

"Does this psu bottleneck my case"

"I'm 17 and I want to open a computer building business and make 5k/mo"

OK here i go , i dont do the grocery , we have no water home ( by ''no water home'' i mean fresh bottled water from brands that... well , sell bottled water ) ( someone forgot to go to the supermartket... ) and because im out of water just as mentioned , im rly LAZY to go dress my self , and walk down 5 min to buy a bottle of water , so i would prefer to sit in the comfort of my house , boil some water , and pour it down in a bottle and freeze it... and although it might take more than going to buy some water , i still prefer not leaving my house . :) U GOT YOUR CONTEXT?

Yes boiling water and freezing it works fine.  I probably wouldn't pour boiling water into a plastic bottle though.

Is there a reason you can't just drink the tap water?

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Question, 

Is there anything unsafe about the unboiled water that would make you want to boil it?  You said your water is delivered using "advanced pipes", but i really don't know what that means.

I think most of us are trying to figure out exactly why you think you need to boil it in the first place.

unless your water has harmful microbes in it, like bacteria & viruses, you shouldn't need to boil it.

Also boiling it usually won't improve the taste.

30 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

Yes boiling water and freezing it works fine.  I probably wouldn't pour boiling water into a plastic bottle though.

Is there a reason you can't just drink the tap water?

Im not dumb xD i know pouring hot water to plastic can is rly dangerous... the bottle coulc melt and cause cancer . I am letting the pot sit to reach room temp :D 

As for the tap water....  im really keeping at bay when it comes to bacteria , food , door hanldes etc etc..

31 minutes ago, Thunderpup said:

Question, 

Is there anything unsafe about the unboiled water that would make you want to boil it?  You said your water is delivered using "advanced pipes", but i really don't know what that means.

I think most of us are trying to figure out exactly why you think you need to boil it in the first place.

unless your water has harmful microbes in it, like bacteria & viruses, you shouldn't need to boil it.

Also boiling it usually won't improve the taste.

Just for precautions m8

Yup. So long as you let it cool first. I doubt it'd taste good at 100C. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls said:

Just for precautions m8

I've never been to Greece so i can't comment whether its necessary or not so i won't.

That being said depending on your situation you may want to invest into some sort of water filtration system.  It's much cheaper and better for the environment in the long run than relying on bottled water.

I use a water filter where i live because while the water is 100% safe to drink it is very mineral heavy, aka "hard water", and doesn't taste very good when drunk.  Eventually i'd like to go to a whole house filtration system.

Just now, Zando Bob said:

Yup. So long as you let it cool first. I doubt it'd taste good at 100C. 

Burning my throat and making a hole in my neck would be very pleasent . 100C is just fine to drink ;)

1 minute ago, GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls said:

Burning my throat and making a hole in my neck would be very pleasent . 100C is just fine to drink ;)

You can add some lye for an extra kick. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

6 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Uhh... Unless there's been some kind of warning issued by your municipality, you can also drink unboiled tap water. o.O

Southern Europe (especially tourist parts of Spain) have always been known for bad quality tap water.

But yes you should be set after boiling it OP.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

6 hours ago, GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls said:

Here in the US if they find shit in the municipal water, they will issue a boil water advisory. You are to boil water if its being use for drinking or cooking. So I would say your safe. The biggest question is what the pipes are made of. For instance I dont think boiling water takes care of lead. Thats when you need to get bottled water. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

warning issued by the city/government that there's bacteria in the water? boil it, shouldn't drink it at all for me IMO

nothing and everything is normal and safe? boil it if you want, don't boil it if you want, both is healthy

water running through lead pipes? don't drink it at all.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

6 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

In such a case, most of the minerals, etc, would be retained within the water, and the ppm concentration shouldn't change by any appreciable difference.

If you're in an area with hard water, boiling it can precipitate out calcium carbonate, giving rise to lime scale. Basically, boiling water can soften it. I had thought about using this as a way to soften water but of course boiling water is a rather expensive way of doing it.

I'm not familiar with water regulations in Greece, but it does vary worldwide. My parents come from Hong Kong, and they would never drink water without boiling it first, and they carried it over after moving to the UK. When I visited South Korea, all the guides said the tap water was unsafe to drink. On a trip to Turkey the general the advice was that tap water was safe, but most people didn't drink it. The price of bottled water there was so cheap, I could understand it. Certainly much cheaper than in UK, where I happily drink tap water. 

Even bottled water isn't 100% perfect. Some years back there was a launch of a new bottled water brand sold on purity through filtration. The product died rapidly when it was found to fail to meet drinking water regulations due to higher than allowed quantities of something. It wasn't necessarily unsafe, but the regulations are there for a reason.

22 minutes ago, themctipers said:

water running through lead pipes? don't drink it at all.

That can be safe. In the UK there are still areas substantially using lead pipes. It is quite chemically stable so not much of it goes into water, and at most people are advised to run the tap a bit first so sitting water is passed before it is used. In soft water areas where water pH can drop, they add phosphate to prevent the lead dissolving.

BTW in case you're wondering, I've looked at a lot of tap water chemistry due to my interest in fish keeping. Biology less so, apart from the extremely rare cryptosporidium outbreak it is basically not a worry. That just leaves the chemical side.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

7 minutes ago, porina said:

. It is quite chemically stable so not much of it goes into water,

Yeah tell that to the people of Flint Michigan. Its only Chemically stable if the government doesnt cheap out and puts the proper chemicals in the water to stop it from leeching in to the water. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

4 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Yeah tell that to the people of Flint Michigan. Its only Chemically stable if the government doesnt cheap out and puts the proper chemicals in the water to stop it from leeching in to the water. 

Fair enough. Some water chemistry are more at risk than others in that scenario. As said, I know they add phosphate compounds to prevent it in soft water areas of UK. Depending on how much affected pipe there is, flushing before use can also be effective.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible