Can i boil my tap water and drink it?

Just now, porina said:

Fair enough. Some water chemistry are more at risk than others in that scenario. As said, I know they add phosphate compounds to prevent it in soft water areas of UK. Depending on how much affected pipe there is, flushing before use can also be effective.

Well the water from the Flint River was acidic I think. Not only are all the water mains fucked, but peoples water lines in the house are fucked as well. And our ASS HOLE President, wants to cut off support to those poor people. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

You need  to know how clean/grossed your tap water is.

Hear in Manila, our tap water is chlorinated and filtered for the most. We only need to shake off chlorine and filter it a bit and its good to go down.

I actually have no problem drinking from tap myself at times but I fear i might get kidney problems.

So we have those filtering stations for that, they filter or "purify" then sell it big ass containers usually $1 bellow each, Enough for 

Its a different story in the provinces, they basically had to nuke their water to get rid of tropical micro organisms on it... at least that's what they need to do.

Aha... :D im pretty sure water here in greece is ok. Anyway this thread has been an amusing go-to for me today but i think it should stopped ;) I thank everyone for their advices , both serious and funny ones . And in case you're wondering , i threw the water , i did not drink it , at 8:00 pm i got supplied with bottled water ( yay ) , and ive actually drunk from the tap but because we were talking about big quantities i though i'd ask this site as answears are pretty rapid and quite sufficient . ( And really fun xD )

i drink tap water without boiling it at all.. you'll be fine

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Tap water is safe to drink, it's just not healthy.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

18 hours ago, Kamina said:

Tap water is safe to drink, it's just not healthy.

... what?

Please elaborate.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

... what?

Please elaborate.

Just not a consistent Ph level to drink. Also too many chemicals and waste from people throwing pills down the toilet. Not all of it is completely filtered. 

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

17 hours ago, Kamina said:

Just not a consistent Ph level to drink. Also too many chemicals and waste from people throwing pills down the toilet. Not all of it is completely filtered. 

Entirely depends on where you live. In most countries it is entirely safe. 

In fact, in the US the tap water is as safe or safer than bottled water. Tap water is under much stricter controls and regulations than bottled water (which is often just regular tap water too). 

I agree with most here that yes, you could do that and yes, it would most likely be safe. However, I would recommend you look into filtration instead, unless you have a reason to believe it's been contaminated.

Also keep in mind that boiling the water can concentrate certain contaminants. If you're really serious about this water treatment, I'd suggest you build a rig like seen on Surviver, where you capture the vapor from the boiling water and save it in a separate container. This would further purify the water.

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

Yeah, it's fine to drink unboiled or boiled.

There are EU specifications for how tap water has to be, don't worry your little self.

18 hours ago, Kamina said:

In many places, bottled water is literally pumped straight out of the ground, without little or no filtering, and FAR fewer regulations. 

It it does depend on where you live of course. Some third world country probably doesn't have very good tap water regulation or safety. 

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:08 PM, porina said:

areas using lead pipes

Really not the case at all, utility companies don't use lead pipes, 100% of the water that goes into your house is kosher. Issue is housing that's not been re-plumbed since the 70s will most likely have either lead pipes or lead-based solder to connect pipes.

side note though, mine is an area where they add fluoride into the water supply for dental purposes, was very interested to hear that in one of my first lectures. Phosphate concentrations are incredibly high too because of where we get our water, nothing like some of these special bottled waters you get but still.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Entirely depends on where you live. In most countries it is entirely safe. 

In fact, in the US the tap water is as safe or safer than bottled water. Tap water is under much stricter controls and regulations than bottled water (which is often just regular tap water too). 

I think the people of Flint, Michigan  would disagree with you. Just saying........

18 minutes ago, Mug said:

Really not the case at all, utility companies don't use lead pipes, 100% of the water that goes into your house is kosher. Issue is housing that's not been re-plumbed since the 70s will most likely have either lead pipes or lead-based solder to connect pipes.

side note though, mine is an area where they add fluoride into the water supply for dental purposes, was very interested to hear that in one of my first lectures. Phosphate concentrations are incredibly high too because of where we get our water, nothing like some of these special bottled waters you get but still.

Thats only correct if the city or town has replaced its pipes. There are many cities, large citys too that are using very old pluming. Look up the issues going on in Flint Michigan. Hell, my city patch and prays on water mains. We had one around the corner from us that blew out like 3 times in the last 4 years. 

So maybe in the UK the government has its head on straight. But here in the US water and sewer systems are old as shit. Not to mention the crumbling roads, bridges, dams, and levys. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

I think the people of Flint, Michigan  would disagree with you. Just saying........

Certainly, what happened in Flint was an utter disaster. One caused by absolute incompetence.

What makes you think Bottled Water companies are any less susceptible to incompetence?

The city I live in has extremely safe water. Not only do they perform the mandated and regulated treatments and tests, but they do additional testing and treatment above and beyond the minimum.

Flint? Maybe not so much.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

Certainly, what happened in Flint was an utter disaster. One caused by absolute incompetence.

What makes you think Bottled Water companies are any less susceptible to incompetence?

The city I live in has extremely safe water. Not only do they perform the mandated and regulated treatments and tests, but they do additional testing and treatment above and beyond the minimum.

Flint? Maybe not so much.

It all came down to money. Which is something no government in the US know how to use properly. Actually it wasn't the city government who made the decision. It was the Emergency Manager appointed by Gov. Rick Snyder. Many cities in Michigan had these people come in to clean shit up. Like what Kevin Oar did in Detroit with getting it in to bankruptcy. Now that President Dumb ass took office, hes talking away Federal Aid to the people in Flint. Cause that make sense. 

If you look, few Governments around the world have common sense. But not in the US. NO. We get these old, rich. dumb, idiots. You know what there are major US cities using Sewers constructed like 100 years ago. How much you wanna bet that many of our water pipes are that old. Like I stated in my second post, this is an US issue. Also, bottle water is regulated in the country. The only difference is its the FDA who does the regulation. 

4 hours ago, Donut417 said:

That's why I said "entirely depends on where you live".

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

The only difference is its the FDA who does the regulation.

Yes, and they are much less strict and rigorous when they test bottled water.

In fact, bottled water is often just regular tap water.

YES

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

I live in Vancouver, a place that arguably has some of the cleanest tap water available, yet my parents still boil the stuff. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

12 hours ago, LAwLz said:

In fact, bottled water is often just regular tap water.

Yeah if its from Coke or Pepsi it is muni water. I drink Ice Mountain which is Nestle. It comes from a spring here in Michigan. As I cant stand the taste of Tap water, too much Chlorine in it. 

On 7/28/2017 at 7:36 PM, GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls said:

rly have to worry about anything as if i was living in africa or sth . 

In essence now... can i drink tap boiled water? ( I allready have it boiled xD i just need the yes so t

On 7/28/2017 at 7:36 PM, GirvanaWantsBinnieBalls said:

So... odd question indeed, but i need to know if i can drink tap boiled water... Dont ask why , or say ''just go down to the nearest... blah blah'' Just say some cautions and a simple ''yes'' or ''no'' would actuallly be much more helpful. 

Location : greece , athens . So yeah my tap water here is running through ''advanced'' pipes so i dont rly have to worry about anything as if i was living in africa or sth . 

In essence now... can i drink tap boiled water? ( I allready have it boiled xD i just need the yes so that i can pour it in a bottle and freeze it )

you should be safe unless the water contains harmful chemicals and heavy metals

Just now, Fahim Foysal said:

you should be safe unless the water contains harmful chemicals and heavy metals

Yeah. Don't boil it in aluminium though. That stuff is terrible, and pretty much poisonous for food preparation. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

11 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Yeah. Don't boil it in aluminium though. That stuff is terrible, and pretty much poisonous for food preparation. 

do you think that aluminum utensils safe?

1 minute ago, Fahim Foysal said:

do you think that aluminum utensils safe?

Not really, I don't trust aluminium around food at all. It can react with food (I think even cleaning it with baking soda can corrode it massively). It's great for phones and laptops and cars and planes, but not eating. If you need super light utensils, Titanium isn't that much more, and I don't think it reacts or leaches into food like Aluminium can. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

7 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Not really, I don't trust aluminium around food at all. It can react with food (I think even cleaning it with baking soda can corrode it massively). It's great for phones and laptops and cars and planes, but not eating. If you need super light utensils, Titanium isn't that much more, and I don't think it reacts or leaches into food like Aluminium can. 

Titanium is a bit expensive for making utensils. Maybe we will have carbon fiber knife and fork someday