Intel Preparing Multiple Hexacore Coffee Lake CPUs

HKZeroFive

Canard PC Hardware says Coffee Lake will be compatible with Z270 and some Z170. Good news if true. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/CPCHardware/status/886940741599145984

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Classic Intel screwing their customers over, has anyone heard about 6 Core mainstream i7s/i5s, i9s, overclockable i3s, modern Pentiums with HT, 18-core HEDT or 10-cores under 1000 USD from Intel before Ryzen launched or was about to? Yeah, me neither. F*ck their business practices and f*ck the fact that they intentionally slowed down the progress in the CPU market to milk more money out of people too.

Remember that Intel claimed "15% performance improvement" over Skylake when they announced Kaby Lake? A good one ^_^

19 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

Time to start thinking about dumping 67/7700K's on the Bay. :D 

That is precisely what Intel wants from its customers. And this is what people should realize instead of brainlessly jumping on the newer product "because it's newer" with little-to-no performance uplift generation to generation.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

All fine, I'm not upgrading my i7 7700 as for yet since it is perfectly capable of doing what I need it to do, but I'm very pleased 6 cores has finally become mainstream for the i7's, if any thing I'll grab the Canon Lake (or whatever name it is now) 10nm i7 9700, hopefully that base core frequency will be higher and the shrink will provide any meaningful IPC gain instead of more useless power efficiency gains.

Coffee Lake is what Kaby Lake should've been already so I personally will ignore it in favour for Ryzen and as I said wait to buy Intel again only when they hit 10nm.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

11 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Finally AMD does something, so intel gets off their lazy asses

So backing off on R&D to save money when the competition has literally not come close to competing in the past 10 years is lazy? Sound like normal business practice to me. 

3 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

Shouldn't it be compatible with every lga 1151 chipset?What makes it exclusive only to z chipsets?

I'm not exactly sure. That's just what I've read. Some Z170/ all Z270 and new Z370 chipset.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

1 hour ago, tom_w141 said:

This the mainstream and Ryzen is here so no prepare for $250/$350 i5/i7. They could go mad with it but that would be very unwise.

Hard to know for sure, but my crystal ball agrees: I expect Intel to target the same price range they currently have in the mainstream platform, increasing specs instead. That is, they will offer the minimum they need in order to be able to charge 250-350 given the current lineup of the competition.

1 hour ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I hope that they have better IPC than Kabylake :D

I would hope that as well...  I think the interesting question that I read over on OC3D's write up was whether they would stick with the Ring Bus Architecture for the mainstream or switch to the Mesh Architecture like they've done with the Skylake-X parts for the core interconnects.  Either way, we'll hopefully see more applications and games leveraging higher core/thread counts.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/coffee_lake_info_leaks_-_a_six_core_i5/1

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

Meh. Not sure why the continued insistence of still charging premium for hyperthreading: This would definitively make the 6/12 i7 lineup bad choices overall since you might as well jump to 8/16 on Ryzen for the prices.

Well, I can see their attachment to it since it worked so well in the past as a milking segmentation strategy (you won't have troubles finding people in this forum insisting HT makes a night and day difference...). Whether it's still an effective strategy is to be seen, but they are surely trying to find a compromise between addressing Ryzen's competition and retaining some ability to price-discriminate between consumer types. They still have the IPC advantage to play and avoid spec-for-spec comparisons with AMD.

if this is real

shut up and take my money

why am i even thinking of a cpu upgrade, the most i do on my pc is spotify and terraria 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

33 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

So backing off on R&D to save money when the competition has literally not come close to competing in the past 10 years is lazy? Sound like normal business practice to me. 

Backing off on R&D is lazy, but still smart.  Continuing to charge premium prices for minor improvements - when they're not spending on R&D - is greedy, however.

2 hours ago, Jito463 said:

I wonder what's going to happen to the i3 line?  Will they make them 4c/4t like the current i5's?  I can't see them being 3c/6t.  While possible (AMD has done tri-core before), it would just be odd.

They already nuked it with the Pentium G4560.

They will probably end up being 4c/4t.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

49 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

They didn't back off on R&D.

They just sold a worse product than they could have for a price more expensive than they probably should have.

And while it made good business sense, it has burned a bridge with many people.  No one trusts Intel to deliver value, and if their performance isn't a cut above then plenty of people will opt for AMD over them.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

1 hour ago, VagabondWraith said:

Canard PC Hardware says Coffee Lake will be compatible with Z270 and some Z170. Good news if true. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/CPCHardware/status/886940741599145984

35 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

I'm not exactly sure. That's just what I've read. Some Z170/ all Z270 and new Z370 chipset.

Word was that Z370 (which launches with Coffee Lake) was going to bring with it incompatible CPUs to the Z270. Maybe they've found a way around that, but I'd still be surprised.  However, the mainstream 300-series platform isn't until around March 2018.

27 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

I would hope that as well...  I think the interesting question that I read over on OC3D's write up was whether they would stick with the Ring Bus Architecture for the mainstream or switch to the Mesh Architecture like they've done with the Skylake-X parts for the core interconnects.  Either way, we'll hopefully see more applications and games leveraging higher core/thread counts.

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/coffee_lake_info_leaks_-_a_six_core_i5/1

If Coffee Lake is on the Ring Bus, the 6c/12t 8700k will be the best gaming CPU on DX9 & DX11 for possibly 3-4 years.  That Ring Bus + Inclusive L3 Cache matter for what Nvidia does with their driver structure. The ability to peg a single core super hard is very important. Though it also matters that the Coffee Lake k SKUs can hit 5 Ghz.

1 minute ago, sgloux3470 said:

They didn't back off on R&D.

They just sold a worse product than they could have for a price more expensive than they probably should have.

And while it made good business sense, it has burned a bridge with many people.  No one trusts Intel to deliver value, and if their performance isn't a cut above then plenty of people will opt for AMD over them.

"Intel Tax". Which is really annoying when they've got worse CPUs at the price bracket. Obviously not been true for a while, but they've maintained those price structures for decades.

It'll be cool if the z170s work with coffeelake, but knowing intel if they could they wouldn't cause why not?

41 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Well, I can see their attachment to it since it worked so well in the past as a milking segmentation strategy (you won't have troubles finding people in this forum insisting HT makes a night and day difference...). Whether it's still an effective strategy is to be seen, but they are surely trying to find a compromise between addressing Ryzen's competition and retaining some ability to price-discriminate between consumer types. They still have the IPC advantage to play and avoid spec-for-spec comparisons with AMD.

For now they do have better IPC. But by bumping up the core count more devs will attempt to code for more threads and that would slowly but eventually make AMD even more competitive. 

Maybe that's why they'll increase but not by much. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

They still have the IPC advantage to play and avoid spec-for-spec comparisons with AMD.

At least until zen+/zen2 or whatever they’re calling it. At that point intel will either have to increase i7s to 8 cores or significantly improve ipc.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

3 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

it could honestly give AMD a hard time.

Nope it won't.

Because Intel pricing, locking OC'ing to the K models AND a Z-xxx board driving up the price even more. Sure, it may outperform it in raw horsepower, but the perf/$ will be on AMD's side.

Ye ole' train

45 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

For now they do have better IPC. But by bumping up the core count more devs will attempt to code for more threads and that would slowly but eventually make AMD even more competitive. 

Maybe that's why they'll increase but not by much. 

22 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

At least until zen+/zen2 or whatever they’re calling it. At that point intel will either have to increase i7s to 8 cores or significantly improve ipc.

Yep, that's what I'm saying: they'll play with whatever cards they have at each point in time. They know there are plenty of consumers willing to pay ~$350 for "top of the line" consumer CPUs, and ~$250 for "gaming sweetspot" CPUs, so it's a matter of what do they need to offer to get those consumers.

Naturally, the fewer advantages they have over AMD, the more they need to offer. If AMD continues to narrow the gap, expect more convergence in terms of features. If they come up with a Sandy Bridge level breakthrough, expect heavy feature rationing again :P 

3 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Finally AMD does something, so intel gets off their lazy asses

It was already known that CoffeeLake will have 6 cores way before AMD announced Ryzen

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, sazrocks said:

zen2 has a high chance of being 6c per CCX making it up to 12c Mainstream, 24c HEDT, 48 Server

they already confirmed that the zen2 server part is going to be a 48c part. if it uses the same 4 die layout it would mean that a die would be 12c or 6c per CCX.

That is slated for 2018-2019

The other option is that the server CPU will be 6 dies and have 12 channel memory. 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc