Intel Preparing Multiple Hexacore Coffee Lake CPUs

HKZeroFive
27 minutes ago, Sampsy said:

Yes? Coffeelake has been rumoured to bring 6 cores to Intel's mainstream for ages. 

Not for as long as i9s have been rumored...

34 minutes ago, Sampsy said:

Yes? Coffeelake has been rumoured to bring 6 cores to Intel's mainstream for ages. 

Longer than Zen? I certainly don't think so.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 hour ago, tsk said:

Intel said in May they would launch coffelake in August/September, however this might have been delayed by the X299 launch and the fact intel had to pull out the 14, 16 and 18 cores after AMD announced Threadripper.

19074921_10155481037222139_1823035962_o.jpg.4e1db20dc3cc52166e052f15b8b41050.jpg

If you zoom in, you'll see that all they're actually doing is Announcing Coffee Lake in the August-September range. Release date has seemed to be more October from what little information we have.

Confirming once again Intel doesn't know wtf they are going to do and proving kabylake-X shouldn't exist.

And with the terrible TIM they have i won't be surprised if it will overheat rather easily with the stock cooler...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 hours ago, MageTank said:

Gorilla glue, because their performance is banana's!

How I felt before reading that:

1351781920319.jpg.954c1e91ab4cf7b1b4f18673a709550c.jpg

How I felt after reading that:

199786_489000587818227_1833351359_n.jpg.5baaf400624610883c507ff9f25cb7cc.jpg

3 hours ago, MageTank said:

I'll be waiting for my check, AMD.

They should charge you a few thousand for that.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 hours ago, LooneyJuice said:

Unless I know what glue they're using to stick the extra 2 cores on, I'm not biting.

/s obvz

Actually, they're using this

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Duck-1-7-8-in-x-10-yds-Realwoods-Camouflage-Print-All-Purpose-Duct-Tape-1409574/202809083

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I see what you did there.

Actually I can't, it's camo tape.

giphy.gif

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

2 hours ago, samcool55 said:

Confirming once again Intel doesn't know wtf they are going to do and proving kabylake-X shouldn't exist.

As I've noted in quite a few places now their X299 stack was an attempt to force their server side pricing and upgrade scheme into the high end consumer space. Presumably the endgame would have been to eventually extend that to the mainstream as well. Luckily for us, AMD came and kicked them straight in the balls with Ryzen/Threadripper/Epyc.

Just sitting here with my 7700k and my Asrock Super Carrier z270 mother board, trying not to sigh.

I should have waited a few more months to build a rig. By then Threadripper will be out, we might know more about Vega, although it looks disappointing.

(at least the custom water cooled 1080ti is dank AF)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

From a gaming perspective I'm not at all excited for this news. Currently none of the Intel hexacores can touch the i7-7700k in gaming. And for the long haul I'd rather have a real octacore R7-1700 since the next gen of consoles are probably going to be some kind of refinement of Ryzen on 7nm lithography. So once games are targeted towards high IPC octacores like Ryzen I'm not sure the Intel hexacore will keep up as well.

Unless there ends up being 4c/4t i3 at good clockspeeds for $140 or less. Then those could be amazing deals.

25 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Just sitting here with my 7700k and my Asrock Super Carrier z270 mother board, trying not to sigh.

I should have waited a few more months to build a rig. By then Threadripper will be out, we might know more about Vega, although it looks disappointing.

(at least the custom water cooled 1080ti is dank AF)

If you are satisfied with the performance, I wouldn't be bothered by this release. If the previous rumors are true, then Coffeelake will be incompatible with Z170/Z270, and will require a new chipset (new boards) in order to use the CPU. That means you run the risk of dealing with new chipset bugs, or invalidated boards (X299 style). Now, if the rumors were wrong, and Coffeelake works on Z170/Z270, you get a decent upgrade path for the future if you ever feel the need to upgrade.

I just recently purchased a 5.2ghz 7700k with a golden IMC from @done12many2 and I am not the least bit disappointed in what I got. It performs better than I could imagine (even coming from a 6700k) and gets the job done. At the end of the day, what you pay for your hardware is irrelevant as long as you got what you wanted out of it, and it was worth it for you. 

That being said, your mention of Threadripper begs the question of whether or not you do work that requires a ton of threads over clock speeds. If that is the case, then I'd highly recommend still keeping your 7700k for gaming anyways, as it's going to be a far better chip for that purpose. Sometimes, you need multiple tools for different jobs. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

34 minutes ago, MageTank said:

If you are satisfied with the performance, I wouldn't be bothered by this release. If the previous rumors are true, then Coffeelake will be incompatible with Z170/Z270, and will require a new chipset (new boards) in order to use the CPU. That means you run the risk of dealing with new chipset bugs, or invalidated boards (X299 style). Now, if the rumors were wrong, and Coffeelake works on Z170/Z270, you get a decent upgrade path for the future if you ever feel the need to upgrade.

I just recently purchased a 5.2ghz 7700k with a golden IMC from @done12many2 and I am not the least bit disappointed in what I got. It performs better than I could imagine (even coming from a 6700k) and gets the job done. At the end of the day, what you pay for your hardware is irrelevant as long as you got what you wanted out of it, and it was worth it for you. 

That being said, your mention of Threadripper begs the question of whether or not you do work that requires a ton of threads over clock speeds. If that is the case, then I'd highly recommend still keeping your 7700k for gaming anyways, as it's going to be a far better chip for that purpose. Sometimes, you need multiple tools for different jobs. 

I don't need the cores or threads, I just wanted the best I could get (which at the time I guess it was, without going the X199 route and dealing with apparently rampant QC issues).

I'm happy with it. I haven't pushed the CPU past 4.6GHz, but the GPU happily hit's 2.0 without going over 35c-40c. But The CPU seems to always be around 50c when gaming. (has me worried since I've got a single 120mm radiator and a single 480mm radiator)

Not at all unhappy, just kinda wish I'd waited to see what happens price wise with Threadripper and Coffee Lake coming out. I might could have save money and gotten two 1080ti's. Although I'd probably have ended up going with three M.2 SSD's instead (if prices had gone down)

Right now I'm mainly unhappy because my hard tubing looks like crap, and my wiring isn't fully customized. Wrong colors, lengths aren't right, etc. Got a lot of work to do to this thing to make it look like I want it to.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

11 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

For the first time, Intel will also introduce pure mobile 6-core CPU. Compared to desktop variants, Coffee Lake Mobile is to feature much lower clock speeds (~2.0 GHz) with TDP at 45W.

The report ends at Coffee Lake U quad-core processor with impressive 28W TDP. This is the first quad-core CPU from Intel’s U-series (low power notebooks)

So would the quad cores be better for gaming compared to the hexa cores due to higher clock speeds? Or how will this work?  It appears my 6700HQ will be better for purely gaming than the mobile 6 core they plan on launching based purely on clock speed.  I don't think the IPC between Skylake and Coffee Lake will be a significant enough change.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

coffe lake is avaliable to the socket lga 1151?

Wait, hmmm...

R5 1600 3.2GHz 6c/12t - 65W TDP - overclockable

i5 8400 2.8GHz 6c/6t - 65W TDP - non-overclockable

I still don't see i5 to be much recommended in that case.

The i7, that's a whole new discussion though.

1 hour ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

From a gaming perspective I'm not at all excited for this news. Currently none of the Intel hexacores can touch the i7-7700k in gaming. And for the long haul I'd rather have a real octacore R7-1700 since the next gen of consoles are probably going to be some kind of refinement of Ryzen on 7nm lithography. So once games are targeted towards high IPC octacores like Ryzen I'm not sure the Intel hexacore will keep up as well.

Maybe you should, though. I mean, the question remains on pricing. But if these hexa-cores do come out at current 7700K prices in the end, what would you think the price of quad-cores will be? ;) 

45 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Not at all unhappy, just kinda wish I'd waited to see what happens price wise with Threadripper and Coffee Lake coming out. I might could have save money and gotten two 1080ti's. Although I'd probably have ended up going with three M.2 SSD's instead (if prices had gone down)

That's what "wait for Zen" meant all along :P It wasn't just new upcoming products (there are always upcoming products), but the distinct possibility of a re-shuffling of the market.

Still, as @MageTank said, wait-and-see wasn't necessarily the best strategy for every single buyer. At some point you have to weigh what waiting could have yielded vs. how much you already enjoyed what you have by building instead of waiting. 

2 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Maybe you should, though. I mean, the question remains on pricing. But if these hexa-cores do come out at current 7700K prices in the end, what would you think the price of quad-cores will be? ;) 

But will we get any quadcores with HT?

17 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Wait, hmmm...

R5 1600 3.2GHz 6c/12t - 65W TDP - overclockable

i5 8400 2.8GHz 6c/6t - 65W TDP - non-overclockable

Considering that an i5-7600K (with base-clock RAM) can compete with an R5-1600 (with OC RAM), I'd wager that the i5-8600K would blow the 1600 out of the water with high-speed RAM.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I get the feeling we're going to get some interesting pricing. Because a 4c/8t vs 6c/6t is kind of a big discussion, especially when the 4c/8t should clock higher.

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Considering that an i5-7600K (with base-clock RAM) can compete with an R5-1600 (with OC RAM), I'd wager that the i5-8600K would blow the 1600 out of the water with high-speed RAM.

The unlocked i5 may be actually better this time than the 7700k for games but the other ones, nope, doubt it.

2 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

The original speculation was that the i3 would be a quad-core with the i5 getting HT while the i7 would be a hexa-core. Surprised to see Intel going this route.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Depends on the scenarios. If we're talking gaming, that's normally only with a 1080-Class GPU and under DX11 at 1080p.

4 hours ago, samcool55 said:

i won't be surprised if it will overheat rather easily with the stock cooler...

Intel hasnt provided stock cooler on OCed chips since Skylake

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0