Apparently Apple Bugs are worth more than Apple is wanting to pay...

WMGroomAK

Apple Bug Reporting  

116 members have voted

1. 1. If you found an Apple Bug how would you report this?

• I would use the Apple Bug Bounty Program
    • Sell it on the Gray Market
    • Time to horde my secrets
    • Other???

So I found this to be kind of interesting and it makes some sense, however, it would appear that Apple's bug bounty program is having trouble taking off due to the actual value of those vulnerabilities...  Apple announced their program back in August 2016 and Apple has in place a bounty program with rewards ranging from $25k up to $200k (which is in line with Google's and Microsoft's program), however, there is yet to be any indication of someone claiming a reward from this program.  According to an article on Motherboard, this would appear to be due to the fact that Apple's walled garden makes it hard to have some of these exploits in the first place and therefore, the exploits that are found can be sold for $500k to $1.5 Million on the gray market.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/gybppx/iphone-bugs-are-too-valuable-to-report-to-apple

In August 2016, Apple's head of security Ivan Krstic stole the show at one of the biggest security conferences in the world with an unexpected announcement.

"I wanna share some news with you," Krstic said at the Black Hat conference, before announcing that Apple was finally launching a bug bounty program to reward friendly hackers who report bugs to the company.

The crowd erupted in enthusiastic applause. But almost a year later, the long-awaited program appears to be struggling to take off, with no public evidence that hackers have claimed any bug bounties.

The iPhone's security is so tight that it's hard to find any flaws at all, which leads to sky-high prices for bugs on the grey market. Researchers I spoke to are reluctant to report bugs both because they are so valuable and because reporting some bugs may actually prevent them from doing more research.

The researchers who received an invite to join have had a chance to earn rewards ranging from $25,000 to $200,000 for bugs in iOS and MacOS, according to Krstic's talk.

That might sound like a lot of money. But one of the reasons why the researchers we talked to aren't itching to report bugs is that Apple's rewards aren't as high as they could or maybe should be. In the private, gray market, where companies such as Zerodium buy exploits from researchers and sell them to their customers, a method comprised of multiple bugs that can jailbreak the iPhone is valued at $1.5 million. Another firm, Exodus Intelligence, offers up to $500,000 for similar iOS exploits. These companies claim to sell only to corporations to help them protect their networks, or to law enforcement and intelligence agencies to help them hack into high-value targets.

It's possible that some hackers have taken advantage of Apple's bug bounty program and simply chose not to discuss it publicly, but the agreement that Apple asked researchers to sign if they wanted to participate in the program didn't strictly forbid them from discussing exploits they discovered. The agreement, which one of the researchers shared with me, only asks the researchers to wait until the bug is fixed and that the researchers "share" what they want to say with Apple before discussing the vulnerability publicly. Normally, researchers are happy to receive public recognition for their finds, both for the bragging rights, and because it helps build their resume as a hacker skilled enough to find flaws in some of the world's most secure software.

As I said, I found this kind of interesting in that the program may not be taking off due to the value of these exploits and how secretive Apple tends to be...

I don't use any Apple products. IMO they are just overpriced shiny junk. So the chances of my finding an Apple bug right there is basically zero. But if I did find an Apple bug I would probably do nothing about it. Just assume that someone else found it as well and reported it.

They payout is lower than what you can get at some private security firms so people go there. 

Nobody actually cares about making a platform better so long as their pocket is a little fatter. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

7 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

NSA will probably pay the most for vulnerabilities

they dont pay for it. they blackmail you with your dirty secrets that they stole, and make you leave new vulnerabilities so they can go on and steal more from others. And the cycle goes on and on.

...and then have the secrets stolen in a large hack for the world to see.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

This is obviously because Apple devices are perfect and have no exploits.

iPhones and Macs can't get viruses.

Thats why you have to pay so much for extra RAM.

Also it's more off an effort vs reward type thing it's easier to mess with people's stuff on android and they're more android phones so why put in more effort trying to get into iOS.

As pointed out, the Walled Garden effect means the bugs are more valuable. Private Security firms pay a lot more than 200k for really good ones.  Mostly as they're the ones that turn around and sell them for millions to the NSA.

I sell on the grey market just because I don't like Apple, Apple products, or the unwarranted popularity that the products receive.

If I made even a few people switch to a better platform, I'd call that worth while.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Of course they want to pay as less as possible so no surprise those finding bugs will take it else where.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I sell on the grey market just because I don't like Apple, Apple products, or the unwarranted popularity that the products receive.

If I made even a few people switch to a better platform, I'd call that worth while.

Technology isn't a fanboy war you have to 'win.'  It is, in fact, possible to prefer one platform without trashing the other one.

I'd use the proper bounty program out of principle, but I can see why someone would sell them on the grey market instead... either way it's possible that, if apple raised the bounty, grey market prices would simply go up proportionally and we'd end up exactly where we started. Beyond a certain point it's just up to personal conscience. The bounty should be a reward so you don't feel stupid for being a good person and a payment for doing some of the work for them, not Apple's own grey market pitch.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

sell on grey market, donate to jailbreakers, sell to apple

most profit, and i get an iOS 10.3.2 jailbreak ! 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

On 7/7/2017 at 0:36 PM, mpsparrow said:

I don't use any Apple products. IMO they are just overpriced shiny junk. So the chances of my finding an Apple bug right there is basically zero. But if I did find an Apple bug I would probably do nothing about it. Just assume that someone else found it as well and reported it.

I hate it when people hate Apple. They make good phones, okay. I'm sorry if that bothers you. I won't defend anything other than their phones, though. But still, they invented and dominate the smartphone market for a reason.

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

3 minutes ago, DutchTexan said:

I hate it when people hate Apple. They make good phones, okay. I'm sorry if that bothers you. I won't defend anything other than their phones, though. But still, they invented and dominate the smartphone market for a reason.

I am not saying that Apple is scum. They are smart people and have made a very successful business. What I disagree with are all these people who think everything else is junk and that Apple is the best in the world and the only good computer company. I know too many people like that and it has aided in me just straight staying away from Apple.

7 minutes ago, mpsparrow said:

I am not saying that Apple is scum. They are smart people and have made a very successful business. What I disagree with are all these people who think everything else is junk and that Apple is the best in the world and the only good computer company. I know too many people like that and it has aided in me just straight staying away from Apple.

The reality is somewhere in between the Apple cheerleader and the Anything But Apple hater (yes, there's a name for it).  Apple generally makes good products, and I prefer them for my usage habits.  They avoid bloatware and that "race to the bottom" that you see with Android and Windows vendors (where quality is regularly sacrificed in the name of price).    However, I'm not going to pretend they're immune from problems, and I'm absolutely cool with someone buying a good Windows PC or Android phone if it's better for their needs.

The problem is that humans have a bad tendency toward an us-versus-them mentality: for my phone/game console/PC to win, your side has to lose.  It's harder to take a nuanced view where it's fine that your favourite gadget is less than perfect, or that competition can make that gadget better.

What’s stopping you from selling to both parties?

If and when the bug gets fixed in a subsequent patch, it’s not like the third party can track it back to you, right?

On 7/8/2017 at 10:02 AM, Commodus said:

Technology isn't a fanboy war you have to 'win.'  It is, in fact, possible to prefer one platform without trashing the other one.

Can I still hate Apple and their products anyway?

It's just that it's my zone of comfort to do so.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

If they raise the bug bounty any higher than shady Apple devs may decide it's worth the risk to try and implement their own "bug" then have a split "partner" "discover" the bug and claim the cash, and split it with the original developer who purposely put it there.