[Misleading] AMD market share up 10.4% in Q2 2017 [Updated]

You_are_a_cunt

If this is true, they deserve every last %. While the Zen stack may not be the IPC king, the perf./$ cannot be ignored and it's thread count and SMT implimentation are fantastic. 

4 hours ago, zMeul said:

the source is crackpot on methamphetamines

the actual source is a PassMark quarterly report based on users benchmark submissions xD

want to see a more real representation of what's really out here? check STEAM's hardware survey http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/processormfg/

iDa8Hcx.png

JXS1IUr.png

uUhxMhg.png

tada ...

Steam hardware survey? That's a really bad representation too... Wow.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

6 hours ago, revsilverspine said:

Data seems to come from CPU benchmark, so numbers might be a bit skewed. So far I've only seen 3 or 4 other sources which are using pretty much the same data. I'm waiting for a more trustworthy source to be honest

Yes but the previous years are too so it is still showing a 10% increase in the same data spruce. I mean a 10% in amd cpus in any demographic is still good. Yeah it is probably lower in the overall market but it is still a very good sign.

5 hours ago, zMeul said:

the actual source is a PassMark quarterly report based on users benchmark submissions xD

want to see a more real representation of what's really out here? check STEAM's hardware survey http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/processormfg/

tada ...

Much more relevant than PassMark's figures but it suffers from similar issues, not counting systems without steam installed. Not a big deal now since almost all systems using Ryzen are custom builds but it'll become more of an issue later when OEM computers start selling to businesses and non gamers.

3 hours ago, Jito463 said:

That also assumes that everyone who uses Steam does the survey.

Or that everyone has only one system. Wouldn't surprise me if younger steam users, with divorced parents, had 2 low to medium end systems. If they're new, they could possibly be Ryzen based because at the price point, Ryzen offers more.

Or, someone could have an HTPC with some indie games, and a rig set up for extreme gaming.

Personal laptop and work oriented desktop.

Etc. etc.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I saw this linked on Reddit... a couple of days ago. First on Reddit, then it makes it to WCCFtech.  Lol.

As for the results, this is testing results from Passmark, so it's going to be a rough ballpark of the home-builder market along with a lot of mobile purchases as well. It is a sign that a bunch of people are buying AMD processors that will test them with Passmark.  It's not a bad sign for AMD, but it doesn't mean that's the new purchase market share.

As for the Steam Survey, that's an Install Base metric, so people playing games in the summer will shift up from the current install base.  Also, Intel's complete domination of the mobile space gives them a big chunk there.

Also, Windows 10 sits at 50.33% of the Steam Survey OS market. There's almost 50% of that survey that cannot run a Ryzen (or Kaby Lake) CPU anyway. Though the fact that the 4 core, 6 core and 8 core shares are all up is a sign that they are being purchased.  So, Ryzen is selling.

Its literally impossible to get an accurate representation unless we go by actual sales by manufacturers. Its 12:20 and I should be asleep but if someone wants to do that it would be sick

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Updated post to reflect reality instead of the usual sensationalism.

Thanks @mr moose for the article debunking the "news"

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

14 hours ago, leadeater said:

Much more relevant than PassMark's figures but it suffers from similar issues, not counting systems without steam installed. Not a big deal now since almost all systems using Ryzen are custom builds but it'll become more of an issue later when OEM computers start selling to businesses and non gamers.

PassMark report was based on less than a million benchmarks while I guarantee you there are a shit ton more users that submit the HW survey when STEAM asks

3aL1HFt.png

let's say that not all those 14mil users submitted the report and only 1/2 did - it's still 7 times bigger data pool

2 hours ago, zMeul said:

PassMark report was based on less than a million benchmarks while I guarantee you there a shit ton more users that submit the HW survey when STEAM asks

3aL1HFt.png

let's say that not all those 14mil users submitted the report and only 1/2 did - it's still 7 times bigger data pool

This has been debunked as a poor data source several people. Look at what @Taf the Ghost said about the number of people not on win10 so they can't even use Ryzen/Kaby Lake. Also its an opt in survey, I'm on Ryzen and I didn't opt in to Steam peering inside my PC. This is a pretty useless survey for judging this criteria. Lastly as I said that would indicate that AMD share has gone down since Ryzen, now I know its zMeul and you love to hate on AMD but I'm sure even you can see that Ryzen won't have had a negative impact on AMD's share.

14 hours ago, revsilverspine said:

snip

Absolutely, 1-2% is very good work for a quarter.  and a very positive result given it's a CPU still in it's infancy and the market is saturated with low end oem pc's. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

40 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Absolutely, 1-2% is very good work for a quarter.  and a very positive result given it's a CPU still in it's infancy and the market is saturated with low end oem pc's. 

Home PCs & Laptops are a replacement Market and have been for over a decade.  (Mobile is almost there.) So upgrades will be slow. Server markets aren't there yet, as there's so much movement to Cloud computing. So, for as cool as the Zen tech is and as good of CPUs as they turned out, the big shifts come during Zen 2 & the die shrink because it'll let AMD fill out an entire server ecosystem, along with momentum in both PC & Laptop space.

Still, even in the Steam Hardware survey, the fact that AMD has held 19-20% market share for a long time is still sort of surprising, especially as they're completely out of the Laptop space. Points to that Mid-level PC still being extremely important to the market.

12 hours ago, Jito463 said:

That also assumes that everyone who uses Steam does the survey.  I wouldn't mind doing it if they only collected hardware data, but when they collect a list of every single program installed on my computer, that's too much.  I refuse to do them anymore, just because of that.

when steam asked me on july 1st, ... i had my 760 in, and i was about to swap it to my 1070 (had 760 because compatibility and bla bla bla)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Home PCs & Laptops are a replacement Market and have been for over a decade.  (Mobile is almost there.) So upgrades will be slow. Server markets aren't there yet, as there's so much movement to Cloud computing. So, for as cool as the Zen tech is and as good of CPUs as they turned out, the big shifts come during Zen 2 & the die shrink because it'll let AMD fill out an entire server ecosystem, along with momentum in both PC & Laptop space.

Still, even in the Steam Hardware survey, the fact that AMD has held 19-20% market share for a long time is still sort of surprising, especially as they're completely out of the Laptop space. Points to that Mid-level PC still being extremely important to the market.

We run hardware surveys at work so we can figure out game night (can't exclude people for having underperforming machines) and most people go for AMD purely due to the price range. (Survey done on ~400 people)

FX6300 and FX8350 are the most frequent CPUs, followed by Intel's mobile SKUs (most of them being fairly old, first to third gen i-series) with a very small number of people having Haswell of newer CPUs and I'm currently the only Ryzen owner (and the only actual overclocker, but that's besides the point).

AMD's the default choice around here for cheap rigs, it seems.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

24 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The thing is that for most people there has been no need to upgrade.  A pc bought 5 years ago that is used primarily for word, facebook and email will still do that today.  Hence why the market is saturated in low end prebuilts.  This is why 1-2 % is a actually a very good result.  Even if it is napkin math.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

12 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

We run hardware surveys at work so we can figure out game night (can't exclude people for having underperforming machines) and most people go for AMD purely due to the price range. (Survey done on ~400 people)

FX6300 and FX8350 are the most frequent CPUs, followed by Intel's mobile SKUs (most of them being fairly old, first to third gen i-series) with a very small number of people having Haswell of newer CPUs and I'm currently the only Ryzen owner (and the only actual overclocker, but that's besides the point).

AMD's the default choice around here for cheap rigs, it seems.

I can understand that. Due to personal upgrade cycles I've normally ended up with AMD CPU + Nvidia GPUs going back a very long time now. I don't game much these days (or, if I do, it's not really modern titles that need a lot of horse power), so I ended up with an FX6xxx CPU. Though that a lot to do with an unplanned upgrade need and a sweet deal on the CPU + Mobo. People forget the actual value of more cores + threads, even if the Dozer "cores" are comparatively strange. Even at 3 Floating Point cores, that's still better than 2 real cores when you're in a highly mix-use/non-maxed out world. (Also, unless you're looking at the FX95xx series, they're also not space heaters.)

I do have to wonder if Intel left AMD to still operate in the low-end market because to crush AMD completely in that segment would have ended the company and made Intel's life really problematic. Duopolies are weird situations for everyone.

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

The thing is that for most people there has been no need to upgrade.  A pc bought 5 years ago that is used primarily for word, facebook and email will still do that today.  Hence why the market is saturated in low end prebuilts.  This is why 1-2 % is a actually a very good result.  Even if it is napkin math.

I don't disagree, as PCs reached a saturation level of performance around 2002-2004 where all of the "Normal" tasks don't need any more power. (This is also why Mobile happened, as the power needed to perform those tasks got low enough to drive them on handheld.) Though some of the issues also come down to a fairly low amount of progress in the past decade.  Sandy Bridge happened, and we've been gliding up a little bit ever since. 

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

Where I work, we sell refurbished systems in addition to doing custom builds.  There are a lot of 2nd & 3rd gen Core i5 / i7 systems that we still sell, because they're sufficient for your average user.  So, I suppose Intel's stagnation has been good for us, as it helps enable the refurb market.

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

Where I work, we sell refurbished systems in addition to doing custom builds.  There are a lot of 2nd & 3rd gen Core i5 / i7 systems that we still sell, because they're sufficient for your average user.  So, I suppose Intel's stagnation has been good for us, as it helps enable the refurb market.

I get what you're saying and I agree, to a point.

I was researching prices for FX rigs, either parted out or whole and the prices are, well, ridiculously low. I literally can't even recover the cost of my 16 gigs of ram. FX6300s going for $30-40 (they're at least double new), motherboards going for less than half their price (keep in mind what I was going to sell isn't even 6 months old) and even ddr3 is getting cheap. Decided to just give my old gear to my parents instead of buying them a new NUC (old one plummeted on granite floor and died in the progress)

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

20 hours ago, zMeul said:

iDa8Hcx.png

JXS1IUr.png

uUhxMhg.png

tada ...

STEAM isn't accurate either as it only samples people that use it and who do the survey. What we really should be doing is waiting until legitimate research firms publish their numbers. Then we can start some flame wars :P 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

It's doing good though. Definitely a good new starting ground, now just to keep up the momentum.

As far as Steam statistics, I mean, it's small % of users out there, not to mention Battle.net which haves more users lol :D And can't be that accurate, also just more than half currently use W10 x64 on Steam too so I doubt anyone using Ryzen will use older OS anyway.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, DocSwag said:

STEAM isn't accurate either as it only samples people that use it and who do the survey. What we really should be doing is waiting until legitimate research firms publish their numbers. Then we can start some flame wars :P 

1. not a flame war
  2. PassMark report is based on crumbs while STEAM has a hugely bigger user base; and even if only 1/2 of that user base submitted the survey it's still vastly larger than PassMark
  3. to my knowledge, neither AMD nor Intel disclose actual CPU sales/shipments numbers - so, analysts have nothing to analyze