AMD's EPYC CPU'S with Benchmarks & Pricing!

Just now, leadeater said:

It makes my room warmer in winter, don't get much more practical than that :)

The 7980XE could probably do that when just idling. My 5930K @ 1.15v does that.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

13 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I mine ethereum just to use my PC as a heater, there's always some use case for something no matter how stupid ;)

Fact I threw my old 550 ti in my system along with my 1070 to heat up my room since it's hurricane season and it rained cats and dogs yesterday.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

6 minutes ago, BlueCrazii said:

Well yeah thats my problem i have 4K content on my server with a couple of people (5) so load is pretty high

I have like 4 people outside my house that use my plex server, but only ever really had 2 remote streams going at the same time I was using it at home.  Gradually transitioning to higher resolution content, but as of now the highest resolution displays in my house are my 4k monitor and Lumia 950, so it's hard to justify 4k unless it's a movie I really care about.

Honestly I'm genuinely impressed with how well the i3 is doing.  An undervolted Ryzen 1600 is super-tempting, but since I already have everything for LGA1155 I might as well just spend the ~$100-150 for an e3-12xxv2 and more ram off ebay instead of pretty much building a totally new machine.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

48 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

they dont, but most server boards have some sort of graphics chip to control the server

43 minutes ago, Terodius said:

nah none of these have onboard graphics as you'd expect from server and workstation grade components. Not even Ryzen has them. But I think APUs with Ryzen and Vega are coming.

fair enough I wasn't expecting them too but it was just something I was wondering cause you know maybe they would cause reasons

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

2 hours ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

They support ECC memory right?

I havent seen an y reference to that yet.

Registered ECC is required for the larger capacity RAM modules, it's impossible to get to the quoted 2TB maximum configuration without it.

1 hour ago, AnonymousGuy said:

It isn't if you want to actually use 128 pcie lanes.  Get near the max and your core gets starved for DDR bandwidth.  1 liner: they basically compromised the design to have a big bullet point number of IO.

Having more lanes helps motherboard manufactures design simpler and cheaper boards with less PCIe switching and caveats on how slots are populated, in the case of PCIe lanes more is better even if you can't utilize the full bandwidth. 

Ask the X299 board partners about PCIe lane configuration issues ;)

30 minutes ago, Phate.exe said:

I have like 4 people outside my house that use my plex server...

You mean 4 men in black suits and a unmark white van with a satellite dish on its roof. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Having more lanes helps motherboard manufactures design simpler and cheaper boards with less PCIe switching and caveats on how slots are populated, in the case of PCIe lanes more is better even if you can't utilize the full bandwidth. 

Ask the X299 board partners about PCIe lane configuration issues ;)

IMG-20141011-WA0006.jpg.bad7182daf578fe3358118f2be1ce886.jpg

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Well goddamn those are some very interesting prices. I almost want to hold on for Threadripper probably more expensive than the low-end here but still maybe lower than 800 for the entry one.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, The Benjamins said:

@done12many2

So 7900x vs 7401p what are your thoughts?

I think that 7401p is going to be a nice processor for something very task specific. The nice low clock speeds on the small army of cores should help keep things nice and cool. 

I can't see me using one for myself as the clock speeds are going to be too low for anything outside of pure multi-threaded applications. 

Threadripper should be a great deal faster clock speed wise and will probably make a much better HEDT chip. With the added clock speed, each core is a stronger core and that makes for a more well-rounded rig.  I'm looking forward to seeing this in action.

I'm also not sure that the boards that support 1P chips will appeal to the HEDT folks, but who knows? 

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I think that 7401p is going to be a nice processor for something very task specific. The nice low clock speeds on the small army of cores should help keep things nice and cool. 

I can't see me using one for myself as the clock speeds are going to be too low for anything outside of pure multi-threaded applications. 

Threadripper should be a great deal faster clock speed wise and will probably make a much better HEDT chip. With the added clock speed, each core is a stronger core and that makes for a more well-rounded rig.  I'm looking forward to seeing this in action.

I'm also not sure that the boards that support 1P chips will appeal to the HEDT folks, but who knows? 

I want the 7251, and I want to see if I can OC it. R7 1700 with a full complement of overkill IO options.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 hour ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I don't understand how enterprise per-core licensing works, but if they don't offer anything but a %8 core configuration does that mean if I only "want" 28 cores I would have to buy the 32 core part and pay licensing for all 32 cores?

You have to license every core in the box, sometimes you end up buying lower end CPUs just to save on licensing or go with higher clocked lesser core count CPUs. Licensing in general sucks.

For a lot of software that is done on a per core license having 64 cores in a single server is worse than two 32 core servers if you need redundancy.

4 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

2TB of memory rofl, does manufacture even sell upto that amount in 8 sticks?

8 channel not necessarily 8 sticks

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

You have to license every core in the box, sometimes you end up buying lower end CPUs just to save on licensing or go with higher clocked lesser core count CPUs. Licensing in general sucks.

For a lot of software that is done on a per core license having 64 cores in a single server is worse than two 32 core servers if you need redundancy.

And microsoft is doing that with windows server os now too

2 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

And microsoft is doing that with windows server os now too

Because per socket wasn't getting them enough money anymore, Microsoft used to really hate CPUs getting more cores so they changed licensing models and problem solved/created.

Just now, leadeater said:

Because per socket wasn't getting them enough money anymore, Microsoft used to really hate CPUs getting more cores so they changed licensing models and problem solved/created.

I remember just before I quit my job I was trying to get a quote on how much it was going to cost just to get the server 2016 for some new servers and it came out to like $40000 in my local currency

19 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I want the 7251, and I want to see if I can OC it. R7 1700 with a full complement of overkill IO options.

Are you going to shoot for a high OC like 3.3 or are you going to kill it and push for 3.4?

Just now, done12many2 said:

Are you going to shoot for a high OC like 3.3 or are you going to kill it and push for 3.4?

Dunno. Maybe engineer a viable LN2 loop and gun for 3.5.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

4 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

Oh, my point still stands, does any manfuacture do that kind of nuts amount lol and what do you need 2tb of DDR4 memory for, Chrome Machines?

SaP now saves all databases in RAM, so yes, you need multiple tb of ram in server farms and computing centers. 8 channels, 16 slots, 128gb dimms (they exist) and you maxed it out.

4 hours ago, WMGroomAK said:

Epyc is supposed to be the Server processors so they are going to have 2 Socket server boards, the question is whether the Epyc CPUs will be supported outside of the server environment...  I can't remember off the top of my head what socket they were using for this and whether it was the same as for Threadripper...

my bet is that there will be a more consumer oriented lineup on the same socket, maybe with 12 core options as well and higher clock speeds but some tradeoff in pcie lanes etc.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

54 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

You mean 4 men in black suits and a unmark white van with a satellite dish on its roof. 

Nah.  I mean a couple of Samsung smart TV's at my friend's house, another friend's ipad, the roku at my parents' house, ipad at the GF's parents' houseand a few other players I've given access to.  I can see who has been active and when.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

6 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Wut? Who buys 32 core CPUs for desktop use?

Are you kidding me?  I can't wait to build my dual-CPU, 64c/128t system with 2TB of RAM so I can browse Youtube videos...err, I mean LTT *cough*cough* without delay!

3 hours ago, Valentyn said:

One could also say, it's them accurately representing themselves against the Intel Compiler; which was so devastating to AMD and VIA processors the FTC fined the crap out of intel in the past.

Even so, we'll out from third parties if AMD's numbers match up correctly when using a neutral compiler compared to Intel's.

Intel is still doing that?  I remember when that all transpired.  It had nothing to do with optimizations for Intel processors, and everything to do with Intel crippling any CPU that didn't respond with "Intel (R)" (or something to that affect).  If that's true, why does anyone still use the Intel compiler?

8 hours ago, SC2Mitch said:

2TB of memory rofl, does manufacture even sell upto that amount in 8 sticks?

Well yeah, these are servers, 32 GB and 64 GB sticks of buffered RAM with ECC is common, 128 GB sticks are a little more rare and expensive, but available. 

Yours faithfully