AMD's EPYC CPU'S with Benchmarks & Pricing!

Lots of exciting stuff but I am mostly glad that HPE, Dell EMC, Microsoft, Baidu and other companies are on board and will start deploying servers with Epyc this year.

It doesn't matter how good your product is if nobody is buying it, or if your competitor gets a lot of time to respond.

I'm interested in all the security features. Anyone got links for that? The Anandtech Liveblog did not go into that a whole lot, and I don't think the presentation did either.

23 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I don't think that most companies buying server CPUs care about price/performance :P

Going back to this point real quick yes they do. It is in the best interest of any business to save cost wherever possible. I should know I do it for a living. (Spoiler alert all workstations here are Xeons but obviously they are old and on their next upgrade cycle they likely won't be Xeons unless there is a compelling reason to spend the money ofc.

6 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Going back to this point real quick yes they do. It is in the best interest of any business to save cost wherever possible. I should know I do it for a living. (Spoiler alert all workstations here are Xeons but obviously they are old and on their next upgrade cycle they likely won't be Xeons unless there is a compelling reason to spend the money ofc.

They do care, but price performance isn't their number one priority :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

They do care, but price performance isn't their number one priority :P

Yes it is. Business is about profit. You keep profits up by keeping costs down. If you can get the job done for less with the same or similar result you have done a good job. To spend more you have weigh it up in the interests of the company. Will X% performance difference make us a worthwhile amount of profit to justify the spend? Yes buy, no don't. Simple.

8 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

Well, we'll need to see how well they perform.  I'm really curious to see how close they scale to the equivalent Ryzen 7 system x4. The entire CPU space has gone from beyond boring to insane in 4 months. 

It's also important to remember that AMD is only going to be competing in specific sections of the market.  Intel is hitting everything.  And I'm also really curious what the Core Latency is going to be like on those Skylake Xeons.  New tech is fun!

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Yes it is. 

If price performance is their number one priority, then why don't they just buy used E5-2670s for $70? Because performance and performance/watt are more important. :P Yes, I know EPYC will probably get very close to the Skylake Xeons in terms of performance and it will probably draw slightly less power (at least when using AVX), but those Xeons haven't even been announced yet, so we don't know how much they will cost, we don't know how many cores the highest end one will have etc.

All that aside though, the fact that AMD competes in the server market is very important to Intel, because most of their revenue comes from server CPUs so they can't afford to lose their server market share :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

12 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

If price performance is their number one priority, then why don't they just buy used E5-2670s for $70? Because performance and performance/watt are more important. :P Yes, I know EPYC will probably get very close to the Skylake Xeons in terms of performance and it will probably draw slightly less power (at least when using AVX), but those Xeons haven't even been announced yet, so we don't know how much they will cost, we don't know how many cores the highest end one will have etc.

All that aside though, the fact that AMD competes in the server market is very important to Intel, because most of their revenue comes from server CPUs so they can't afford to lose their server market share :D

Agreed. They don't give a shit about Ryzen but ever since the 1st Naples announcement there has been worry in camp Blue.

3 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I haven't had much input in Server purchases in a long while, but isn't Perf/TCO generally the biggest issue for most large purchasers? 

Yes.  (to save people googling, TCO = total cost of ownership).   I can make a several page list of why you'd go with Intel vs. AMD even though AMD has better perf/$.  (Intel actually has better perf / $ for the < 10 core Xeon parts, fun fact).

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

22 hours ago, revsilverspine said:

I need dis... for a friend.

@manikyath time to upgrade Stacy(?) (or at least that's what I remember you calling your server o,.,o)

stacy's got a few more years.. i've been staring at a max of 10% cpu usage and a minimum of 28GB free ram :P

1 hour ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Yes.  (to save people googling, TCO = total cost of ownership).   I can make a several page list of why you'd go with Intel vs. AMD even though AMD has better perf/$.  (Intel actually has better perf / $ for the < 10 core Xeon parts, fun fact).

why?

That's a nice lineup. Love how it scales and how it's like per socket. These will be amazing for AMD to start getting that cash flow.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Just now, lots of unexplainable lag said:

That's EPYC! :D

9 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Some of the high-clocked 4c Xeon parts that run for 5-6k I wouldn't be surprised. (Because there's some old programs are exclusively single threaded, so, well, you just need as fast of a core that works in a server rack.)  But, and this is the important issue, there's actually now some competition in the space, so Intel actually has to start cutting some deals here and there.

One other little trend that would be harder to judge from the outside, but it seems like AMD has a lot better reputation in China. So it'll be something to watch.

21 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Some of the high-clocked 4c Xeon parts that run for 5-6k I wouldn't be surprised. (Because there's some old programs are exclusively single threaded, so, well, you just need as fast of a core that works in a server rack.)  But, and this is the important issue, there's actually now some competition in the space, so Intel actually has to start cutting some deals here and there.

One other little trend that would be harder to judge from the outside, but it seems like AMD has a lot better reputation in China. So it'll be something to watch.

Intel got blocked by the government from selling in China, I recall.   China refused to agree that the chips wouldn't be used for weapons research. 

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

7 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Intel got blocked by the government from selling in China, I recall.   China refused to agree that the chips wouldn't be used for weapons research. 

That might explain part of the issue.  I've noted there's some specialized "China versions" of Radeon cards recently, and their OEM GPUs seem almost exclusively sold there. So I imagine there might be more server up-take potential in China and other parts of SE Asia than our first assumptions would be.

31 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

That might explain part of the issue.  I've noted there's some specialized "China versions" of Radeon cards recently, and their OEM GPUs seem almost exclusively sold there. So I imagine there might be more server up-take potential in China and other parts of SE Asia than our first assumptions would be.

I wonder if it's a case of them being fab'd in China avoiding some of the trade restrictions etc. Being that AMD use rather simplistic designs and generally available and licensable fabrication technologies it's much easier for them to do that than Intel/Nvidia. Spit-balling ofc

22 hours ago, leadeater said:

Found some slides that actually interest me

-Casually snippiity the first pic-ity-

I'm going to need a bigger S340.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I found out that Threadripper and EPYC will be sharing the socket

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

1 hour ago, DXMember said:

I found out that Threadripper and EPYC will be sharing the socket

Not quite.  Pin count is the same, and the package might end up looking the same (we don't know right now).  However, they're not electrically the same. Epyc comes from the Naples design; Threadripper seems to have been a repurposed version of the "Snowy Owl" design for certain communications equipment. (Snowy Owl products seem to still exist, but that's more custom stuff.  Think Military Comms. It's also a BGA rather than LGA.)

32 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Not quite.  Pin count is the same, and the package might end up looking the same (we don't know right now).  However, they're not electrically the same. Epyc comes from the Naples design; Threadripper seems to have been a repurposed version of the "Snowy Owl" design for certain communications equipment. (Snowy Owl products seem to still exist, but that's more custom stuff.  Think Military Comms. It's also a BGA rather than LGA.)

aww....  I was hoping for a 24 NVMe Raid 0 native and still have enough PCI-E for Crossfire at full double x16 =(

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K