AMD's EPYC CPU'S with Benchmarks & Pricing!

1 minute ago, Nicnac said:

Ok they finally got me. I am confused. How do epyc and Threadripper and ryzen compare? Is epyc or threadripper now the HEDT platform?!

EPYC is servers

threadripper is HEDT (so PCs that are powerful but not servers)

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

3 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

It's kinda the entire headline for Epyc: it's good depending on your workload.  Most people don't understand that it's no where near a slam dunk.

that is true and the people who will be buying these server PCs normally know what they are buying so will know what CPU they will need but we will see what happens but AMD is looking very promising on becoming profitable this year

And more, several more

So can have 1.872tb  for a ramdisk and 128gb of ram

Edited by jpfeif
Because I forgot the metric thing

seems like amd will allow for 20w over the rated tdp, which the costumer can change in bios

I don't understand how enterprise per-core licensing works, but if they don't offer anything but a %8 core configuration does that mean if I only "want" 28 cores I would have to buy the 32 core part and pay licensing for all 32 cores?

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

7 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

Wait a second does this mean that we are going to get a new X-gamers 1CPU like an 8 gamers 1 CPU which is actually only using 1 CPU or a 16 gamers 2 CPUs which would also be awesome

1CPU 16 gamers should be doable on an EPYC server. 128 PCIe lanes is enough for 16GPUs to run at 8x and 2 cores 4 threads for every player. 

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

Just now, Terodius said:

1CPU 16 gamers should be doable on an EPYC server. 128 PCIe lanes is enough for 16GPUs to run at 8x and 2 cores 4 threads for every player. 

yea it's possible but I was thinking about 2 32 core CPUs and having 4 cores 8 threads each which would be great for gaming and 16 GPUs would be easily possible.

By the way does anyone know if these CPUs have onboard (yes I know that;s not a major thing but I was just wondering)

And more, several more

1 minute ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I don't understand how enterprise per-core licensing works, but if they don't offer anything but a %8 core configuration does that mean if I only "want" 28 cores I would have to buy the 32 core part and pay licensing for all 32 cores?

thats probably referring to software, there is software that you pay a license per core so a 8 cores with a bunch of memory is great for those cases (its expensive and the usage of such license has been ryzing)

1 minute ago, grimreeper132 said:

yea it's possible but I was thinking about 2 32 core CPUs and having 4 cores 8 threads each which would be great for gaming and 16 GPUs would be easily possible.

By the way does anyone know if these CPUs have onboard (yes I know that;s not a major thing but I was just wondering)

they dont, but most server boards have some sort of graphics chip to control the server

6 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

nah none of these have onboard graphics as you'd expect from server and workstation grade components. Not even Ryzen has them. But I think APUs with Ryzen and Vega are coming.

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

1 hour ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Conspicuously neglecting to include any latency numbers.

Also looks like AMD is fucking with the benchmark numbers:

Oh gee let's just exclude a MASSIVE reason to use IA in the first place (software and compilers being superior) and handwave it away.

That's not a good look.

Always pay attention to asterisks. :D 

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

AMD-Naples-Speedway-Internal.jpg

People were worried about cooling, look at the size of the coolers, they can easily fit in a 1U server

(don't forget in epyc your heat is spread across a much bigger area, so cooling it is easier )

2 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

That's not a good look.

Always pay attention to asterisks. :D 

AMD's footnote actually goes into a lot of detail; and considering the major partners AMD has just picked up it's safe to assume their tests were verified.

Microsoft and Baidu are hardly going to sign Billion Dollar contracts and partner ships before thoroughly testing and verifying performance and stability compared to Intel's offerings.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

2 hours ago, BlueCrazii said:

No its for server use so for something like a Plex server with loads of transcoding

Even my crappy little i3-3220 does just fine in a Plex server, multiple 1080p transcodes while not making the computer totally unusable locally.  I want to toss a an ivybridge xeon into it, pretty much just because I can/moar coars, but as of now it's not really struggling at all.

No idea how many clients you have using your Plex box though, and obviously 4k content is going to be a way more intense load than my 1080p collection.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

3 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

AMD's footnote actually goes into a lot of detail; and considering the major partners AMD has just picked up it's safe to assume their tests were verified.

Microsoft and Baidu are hardly going to sign Billion Dollar contracts and partner ships before thoroughly testing and verifying performance and stability compared to Intel's offerings.

Sure, but it doesn't change the fact they fudged with benchmarks.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

2 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Who buys 32 core CPUs for desktop use?

If I gave @leadeater a use case for getting a 7980XE for home use, damn sure I can create one for a 32 core part.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Phate.exe said:

Even my crappy little i3-3220 does just fine in a Plex server, multiple 1080p transcodes while not making the computer totally unusable locally.  I want to toss a an ivybridge xeon into it, pretty much just because I can/moar coars, but as of now it's not really struggling at all.

No idea how many clients you have using your Plex box though, and obviously 4k content is going to be a way more intense load than my 1080p collection.

Well yeah thats my problem i have 4K content on my server with a couple of people (5) so load is pretty high

Tag me if you need me :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Desktop:                                       Laptop:        
CPU - i7-4790k                            CPU: I7 7700HQ
GPU - Inno3D 1080TI                  GPU: 1060
Mobo - Gigabyte Z97X-SLI          Memory: 16 GB
Memory - 32 GB DDR3                Storage: 1256GB
Storage - 11 TB

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phone: ONEPLUS 6 128GB

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

If I gave @leadeater a use case for getting a 7980XE for home use, damn sure I can create one for a 32 core part.

I mine ethereum just to use my PC as a heater, there's always some use case for something no matter how stupid ;)

Just now, leadeater said:

I mine ethereum just to use my PC as a heater, there's always some use case for something no matter how stupid ;)

Yeah, but mine was practical, if you only have the space for one tower at home.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

Sure, but it doesn't change the fact they fudged with benchmarks.

One could also say, it's them accurately representing themselves against the Intel Compiler; which was so devastating to AMD and VIA processors the FTC fined the crap out of intel in the past.

Even so, we'll out from third parties if AMD's numbers match up correctly when using a neutral compiler compared to Intel's.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Just now, Drak3 said:

Yeah, but mine was practical, if you only have the space for one tower at home.

It makes my room warmer in winter, don't get much more practical than that :)