AMD's EPYC CPU'S with Benchmarks & Pricing!

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

Having more lanes helps motherboard manufactures design simpler and cheaper boards with less PCIe switching and caveats on how slots are populated, in the case of PCIe lanes more is better even if you can't utilize the full bandwidth. 

Ask the X299 board partners about PCIe lane configuration issues ;)

Precisely: Even if the target audience are professionals you still don't want this mess to happen:

Spoiler

-------

Current Rig

-------

Can I just say that a 16c32t Epyc starts at like $650-$700?

This bodes really well for Threadripper pricing. Like, REALLY well.

Ye ole' train

4 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

I don't think Threadripper is going to be quite that low.  There's still market segment interactions to deal with.

http://ark.intel.com/products/92986/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2620-v4-20M-Cache-2_10-GHz

Is roughly the part they were comparing the relevant part against, which are normally used in 2x configurations.  The corresponding X99 part was the 6900k.  So Desktop was more.  But the lowest speed 16c at $849 could be very real.

11 hours ago, DXMember said:

take 8 kits of that per CPU on two CPUs on motherboard and you get 2TB - it checks out

2 CPUs (16 channel) support up to 4tb btw :P But considering each CPU has 16 slots, that's 32 in total ... so 128gb/stick should be fine.

I need dis... for a friend.

@manikyath time to upgrade Stacy(?) (or at least that's what I remember you calling your server o,.,o)

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

AMD: it supports up to 2TB ram

Chrome: HMB

Linus should get one of these and see if he can fill up the RAM with his daily chrome browser useage :D

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

13 minutes ago, VanayadGaming said:

2 CPUs (16 channel) support up to 4tb btw :P so there has to be a 256 gb stick for this to work :)

You can do it with 128GB modules, 16 channels isn't 16 ram slots. The Supermicro motherboards that support 4TB of ram have 32 ram slots.

30 minutes ago, leadeater said:

You can do it with 128GB modules, 16 channels isn't 16 ram slots. The Supermicro motherboards that support 4TB of ram have 32 ram slots.

yup, edited my post. Misread that 16 slots :P sorry.

this makes me excited for threadripper

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

12 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Good as place as any to insert: One of the limitations of Epyc is it doesn't support 4S or 8S configurations.

But what servers actually need 4 or 8 sockets when you already have 4 Ryzen 7 CPUs per.. well, CPU? :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

6 hours ago, Jito463 said:

Intel is still doing that?  I remember when that all transpired.  It had nothing to do with optimizations for Intel processors, and everything to do with Intel crippling any CPU that didn't respond with "Intel (R)" (or something to that affect).  If that's true, why does anyone still use the Intel compiler?

Look at Anandtech's Office Chromium compile test in the 7900X review. You can pick the Intel compiler with a few clicks, and the performance there shows Ryzen 1800X below the Ivy-bridge 6 core.

In fact the 1600X and 1800X are essentially identical in that test.

Yet when similar tests are run using GCC in Linux Ryzen is ahead of the 5960X, blowing passed the intel 6 cores.

The most common used compilers are GCC, and MSVC, but SPECint doesn't really support GCC, nor allow GCC results to be published.

Intel's compiler also 'cracked" the 462.libquantum part of the CINT2006 suite, which leads to hugely inflated SPEC scores, nowhere to been seen on non-spec-benchmark code.A wise choice of AMD to use the GCC compiler which reflects real world usage.

Intel's compiler is "optimised" for the test, giving inflated scores, compared to real world results.

One also needs to put some logic into this, some people here and elsewhere actually believe Microsoft Azure, Baidu, 1&1, HP and other partners signed multi-million dollar contracts and partner ships without apparently thoroughly testing Epyc against Intel's offerings for their specific needs. :P

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

5 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

The single socket version is $750 the 2 socket versions start at $650.

and remember their is 4 dies on Epyc and 2 on ThreadRipper

1497994409198448065856_575px.jpg

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

4 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

But what servers actually need 4 or 8 sockets when you already have 4 Ryzen 7 CPUs per.. well, CPU? :P

~80% of the server market is also 2 socket systems so gunning for 4, 6, or 8 socket market segment would likely lead to a net loss of investment so it's better to ignore it for now.

17 minutes ago, leadeater said:

~80% of the server market is also 2 socket systems so gunning for 4, 6, or 8 socket market segment would likely lead to a net loss of investment so it's better to ignore it for now.

Also considering the number of cores that will be available now for 2 sockets... those will easily eat from the 4 socket server market.

14 hours ago, Terodius said:

They'll get ripped to shreds. Even Intel's 9000 Dollar Xeon has only 24 cores. EPYC is supposed to come in at around 5000 for its top-end chip with 8 cores more than that and much better memory and PCIe support.

How can you be so sure? Intel hasn't even announced Skylake Xeons yet xD

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

You need to take in to account the fantasy factor when comparing CPUs, if you add that in to the performance equation AMD will win in every benchmark.

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Even if they match or exceed performance it will need to be by a lot >40% because Intel will price the skylake Xeons higher. Value might not matter to some X299 buyers but price/performance and TDP matter to server business. We know how thirsty X299 is, I can only Imagine the TDP of Skylake Xeons.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Even if they match or exceed performance it will need to be by a lot >40% because Intel will price the skylake Xeons higher. Value might not matter to some X299 buyers but price/performance and TDP matter to server business. We know how thirsty X299 is, I can only Imagine the TDP of Skylake Xeons.

Here's a tip, I have it on very good authority directly from HPE that Intel are raising Xeon prices across the board by 30%. I was told this before this Eypc announcement, 2 weeks ago now I think so you can actually go back to all the AMD slides where they price compare and add that 30% to Intel.

This price increase might be readjusted now or maybe not but as far as HPE in concerned it's happening and they have already prepared their entire Gen 10 generation around that and extended sales life of Gen 9.

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

You need to take in to account the fantasy factor when comparing CPUs, if you add that in to the performance equation AMD will win in every benchmark.

I don't care if you wear blue or red Fruit of the Looms, that was some funny shit.  

Just now, tom_w141 said:

I don't think that most companies buying server CPUs care about price/performance :P Performance and performance per watt are way more important. And TDP won't be that high, remember, Skylake Xeons won't be clocked higher than 3GHz ;)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I don't think that most companies buying server CPUs care about price/performance :P Performance and performance per watt are way more important. And TDP won't be that high, remember, Skylake Xeons won't be clocked higher than 3GHz ;)

Guess we have to wait and see. Coming soon tm isn't enough, Intel need to release their competitor before people start looking at Eypc.

There is no waiting in tech if you need to build you build. You look at what is best on the day and you buy. The current Xeons don't win on price or performance so Intel need to hurry up and knee jerk faster to get their product out :P Though I think they are still seeing a doctor after they knee jerked so hard to Threadripper they broke their leg.

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

There is no waiting in tech if you need to build you build. You look at what is best on the day and you buy. The current Xeons don't win on price or performance so Intel need to hurry up and knee jerk faster to get their product out :P Though I think they are still seeing a doctor after they knee jerked so hard to Threadripper they broke their leg.

Well, it's a server platform, so waiting is preferable to a rushed launch :P

9 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Well, it's a server platform, so waiting is preferable to a rushed launch :P

I meant the builder (customer) won't wait.

Also yes to a degree but there is also a good reason to not take too long to react. Every day they don't react they risk losing more market share.