Microsoft shares what it collectes in Windows 10 Telemetry data

GoodBytes

At the very least use Spybot Anti-Beacon to block all Win10 telemetry (at least I fuckin hope it does!!) :D

42 minutes ago, Aurora906 said:

im sticking with W7 indefinitely.

Enjoy being flooded with viruses in 3 years!

16 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

1- You didn't read shit, because it includes exactly what it collects. But here is the link for Basic: https://technet.microsoft.com/itpro/windows/configure/basic-level-windows-diagnostic-events-and-fields

2- and 3-  B.S Just hating for hating

Of course it doesn't. You are closed minded. Even if there was a disable button, you would say that they collect even more than Full, because NSA, etc.

It doesnt matter if you can disable or they dont use data against us, windows 10 is still bloatware and it installs apps without me even asking, puts  in start search about products i dont want or need, and the whole store is a pile of shit that no one needs, third rate apps made by retards that are completely useless for any decent work, the whole ecosystem sucks even after all this time, i wouldnt care so much if they actually let me remove the bloatware and system resource hog's like cortana and store, telemetry nonesense, there are too many layers of crap between the hardware and the non-UWP software im running, and i dont trust microsoft anyway,they proven to not have user interest in mind, its just a corporation that wants to make tons of cash, thats their only decision factor, software is much more than that.

Until they have a single switch that completely anihilates everything they posted in that link, what they collect, and start removing bloatware and make windows user friendlier people will kepp throwing shit at MS, deal with it.

Profesionals wont be paying 200$ for win10 pro just to get invasive ads,telemetry and updates.

They used the freee win10 upgrade thing as an excuse to completely control and monitor what people are doing and make more money off it, probably gov spyware backdoors included, and if someone today buys a windows PC, or a windows copy they are served with shit that should never exist on a payed platform.

36 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

That would be illegal.

Sure it would be unless it's "by accident" .

However it is a good move (but a very overdue one) form Microsoft to talk about what they are collecting and give an option to disable it.

It it should still be opt in istead of opt out.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

2 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

Enjoy being flooded with viruses in 3 years!

When i feel the time has come to move on from W7, ill switch to linux if theres nothing better from MS.   Just so much stuff just turns me off of windows 10, aside from the privacy aspect.  It feels more catered for a smart phone than a pc.

At least it's a step in the right direction, still quite a ways to go before I'm willing to make the move though.

• Network capabilities and connection data such as the device’s IP address, mobile network (including IMEI and mobile operator) and whether the device is connected to a free or paid network.

I don't really see why Microsoft would need the device IP address, IMEI, or network type for "diagnostics"...

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

50 minutes ago, Aurora906 said:

I doubt microsoft is telling everything, im sticking with W7 indefinitely.

You don't believe Microsoft is honest, so you'll keep using a Microsoft product?

16 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

This is the go to argument for defending Microsoft. I get it, it seems a bit pointless to split hairs over what Microsoft is tracking, when you may well use an Android phone.

But, it sidesteps the actual issue. Microsoft have changed business models, they've gone down the route of trying to copy Google, and they've treated their consumers with a certain level of arrogance. The very first example of this, is trying to create a local account on your first install of Windows 10. For any competent user, it's a real smack in the face when they treat people like idiots. If you attempt to take away control of your OS and how it's used from your technically proficient users, you will alienate them, and they will push back, or move to an OS that better suits their needs.

I agree with you, competent users will get annoyed because it's another obstacle in place to use what should be seemingly basic features of windows. The problem here is that they won't move away from windows since it's the only real open platform and universally supported, while also being as simple to use as anything. If they do move, they'll probably head to Linux which is an even smaller subset of competent users. Basically, the way I see it, Microsoft hedged their bets and estimated how many people they'd lose from the userbase of windows with these changes while making it more accessible for the idiot user/masses and they determined the loss would be miniscule, otherwise, they wouldn't have done it.

3 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

You don't believe Microsoft is honest, so you'll keep using a Microsoft product?

Kind of forced to if you wanna game on pc..  Do you believe MS is honest and telling you everything?  

8 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

I don't really see why Microsoft would need the device IP address, IMEI, or network type for "diagnostics"...

IP can let them know what area of the world you're connecting from, and if there may be issues in that area they need to resolve. Mobile operator can indicate who they may need to contact in the event of an issue. IMEI can identify a device manufacturer that could be contacted if there's an issue.

59 minutes ago, Aurora906 said:

I doubt microsoft is telling everything, im sticking with W7 indefinitely.

Unless you haven't updated Windows 7 in quite some time, the same telemetry is present.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

My question is why has it taken this long to disclose this information?

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Theres the whole "cortana" thing, and not being able to uninstall it, or even turn it off.  

40 minutes ago, Aurora906 said:

You sound like a salesmen for MS.  Call me crazy, but i dont trust them.

I would trust Microsoft over Google/Facebook when it comes to privacy any day of the week.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

2 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

My guess is they've been doing it forever and no one cared until someone decided to make a stink about it on the internet.

Just now, shermantanker said:

I would trust Microsoft over Google/Facebook when it comes to privacy any day of the week.

I wish i could be so naive, no offense.  I dont trust any of them,  We got smart TVs spying on us, why do you think your pc isnt? :D    

1 minute ago, Aurora906 said:

Theres the whole "cortana" thing, and not being able to uninstall it, or even turn it off.  

You can turn Cortana off, that whole ordeal was just MSM hype. I've had Windows 10 since early stages of the developer preview, I've had cortana disabled since day one and she's never come back and I'm on the latest version.

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

Not hard. Bring up task manager to find Cortana's process, trace to the system file. Reboot into safe mode and replace it with a blank file of same name and extension. Set as read-only. Reboot and voila, Cortana isn't there anymore.

Can't you permanently disable from Registry as well?

3 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

This information was available day one, if one were actually willing to look for it beyond underinformed forums, basic online helpdesks, and the sensationalist publications that have been spouting lies regarding MS privacy policy.

None of this is a surprise to me, but then again, I also spent a few days searching beyond sites like Forbes and PCPer, looking for original sources of information.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

@Bouzoo you too.

Any way to minimize it to tray? Don't see the option to have it open but not have it on taskbar.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

6 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

They're all spying us, every major company is doing that because it works. Knowing who's on the other side make things easier to recommend, sell, and so on.

Still not acceptable.  Not much left of our PERSONAL Computers if we keep going down this road.

I just disable everything. But disabling them privacy setting may cause some apps not to work properly. This is confusing and annoyin, when I do use some of the win10 apps.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

7 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Any way to minimize it to tray? Don't see the option to have it open but not have it on taskbar.

You don't need to have it open 24h/7, you run the immunization set it to apply at boot and you can close it already, alternatively you can take the long route:

Disable telemetry in the registry

After using the spybot anti-beacon it is good to reboot.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

This information was available day one, if one were actually willing to look for it beyond underinformed forums, basic online helpdesks, and the sensationalist publications that have been spouting lies regarding MS privacy policy.

None of this is a surprise to me, but then again, I also spent a few days searching beyond sites like Forbes and PCPer, looking for original sources of information.

Where was it available besides a basic description? Even on microsoft's site the extended description was added in March 2017, and the source can't get more original than Microsoft.

1 hour ago, Princess Cadence said:

It's not like I haven't done my own research, I really don't appreciate your condescending tone, I know the greatest majority of such applications are a scam but spybot anti-beacon actually has some solid background backing it up?

Run System Internal Process Explorer, and monitor what it does.

It sets registry keys that links to the same keys that the Settings panel Privacy settings links to. It changes a registry key which links to a GPO with the value of 0, in the hope that would disable it, but Microsoft very own documentation says that value "0" has still telemetry data. Put stuff in HOST file, to attempt to block, but to prevent rerouting of telemetry data by a malware or virus, the HOST file is ignored to ensure that everything arrives to Microsoft servers. And it disables services that sounds potentially like it is related to telemetry.. sorry... SPYING..

Sorry, but Barnacleses is anti-Microsoft, filled with miss information regarding the company, and company software. And also a hypocrite (knowingly or not). He uses Edge web browser, uses Chrome, uses Google services, uses Android. All of which has telemetry and/or market data tracking, and provides false information to users, making them think that what he used is "safe from any tracking". How about using Firefox? Tor? Telegram? and many other alternative software and services that offer complete privacy.  Not to mention also, that he claims that telemetry data collecting is NSA spying, clearly not knowing what telemetry data is, or informing properly people. Why inform, when you can make a click-bait video, and play with people fears and encourage miss information for desperate views. He loves to play the fact that he was laid off at Microsoft, due to role termination, despite being offered 2 new, and better positions within the company (which I was informed that when you change role within the company, even if you are an active employee in the company, you still have to pass through an interview process. But it is more to see if you know your stuff in general and fit in the team). He says decline them (or he failed to pass those interviews and doesn't want to admit it). Many employee that were laid off, part of Microsoft restructure, either left to work somewhere else (please note that laid off, involves getting a nice financial package, as it is Microsoft that terminates the contract, not the employee that goes against it (fired), or under performs for renewal or leaves), or they joined back in another job position. Proof of this, is that, ignoring the Nokia mess, employee count remained about the the same. A "small" drop only (again, ignoring Nokia numbers).

I highly doubt he will do a video on the topic of this news to inform properly. 'cause that doesn't bring views.