(Updated!) Resident evil 7 benchmarks

Techicolors

NOW UPDATED

Resident Evil 7 has now released on Steam. So surprise ! benchmarks !

However before starting, guru3D would like to point out something

** Update: Nvidia released a new driver which massively impacts performance. The results have been updated but we'd not be surprized to see something similar happening with AMD drivers. hence the results today remain subjective. The game is incredible hard to measure objectively.

The type of game you play is always relevant though, an first person shooter game is nice at 50 to 60 fps , an online shooter on a 144Hz monitor feels better at 100+ fps. And totally on the opposing side, for RPG gaming things are different for which we are comfortable with an FPS ranging as low as 30~35 FPS. At all times if your framerate is low, you can opt to change in-game image quality settings. Mind you that we test with reference cards or cards that have been clocked at reference frequencies. Factory tweaked graphics cards obviously can run up-to 20% faster. But for the generic overview, we treat all card the same.

What a mess ...

Yes the results are all over the place. The game can jump from 100 to 50 FPS in no time. The frame-drops are massive making the FPS recordings very difficult. We also see very weird behaviour for the Fury series and for Nvidia the GTX 970/980 the results have been so weird that we cannot trust a steady FPS mark, hence we left them out. It is weird to observe among many other things. The good news though with all the performance differences, the overall framerate is easily above the 40 FPS marker, so the weird FPS fluctuations for pretty much any card are at a speed that you will hardly notice it, at 1080P that is.

For both Nvidia  and AMD their latest generation cards however excel, Polaris works extremely well as well as all Pascal GPUs for Nvidia.

So for nvidia, I recommend getting the latest drivers before playing...

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/geforce-378-49-whql-driver-download.html

Benchmarks updated because 

** Update #2: after lots of weird results with graphics card that have less then 4 GB of VRAM we found out that the problematic settings is Shadow cache. If you have an up-to 4 GB graphics card, please turn it off and you'll be playing properly. The charts are now updated to reflect that.

So

** Update #2:

After lots of weird results with graphics card that have less then 4 GB of VRAM we found out that one problematic setting is the Shadow cache.

1. If you have an up-to 4 GB graphics card, please turn it off.
  2. However if you have a 6GB or 8GB card, leave the shadow cache activated. Especially AMD cards benefit there greatly. 

1080p, Max quality preset, DX11, UPDATED

Spoiler

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=28326index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=28357

1440p, Max quality, DX11, UPDATED 

Spoiler

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=28327index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=28358

4K, Max quality, DX11, UPDATED

Spoiler

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=28328index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=28359

VRAM usage

Spoiler

index.php?ct=articles&action=file&id=28319

Also FCAT results http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/resident_evil_7_pc_graphics_performance_benchmark_review,8.html

Source http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/resident-evil-7-pc-graphics-performance-benchmark-review,1.html

My brief thoughts: at 1080p, a 480 manages to beat the 1070, but the Fury X and non-X are slower.. seems VRAM is becoming an issue. but meanwhile the Fury X beats out the 1070 at 1440p and 4k.. and the 390x is faster than a 480!?

But I would take these benchmarks with a hint of doubt, since it's noted that the bench runs done were wildly inconsistent. Hopefully I'll update when the runs are more consistent, so maybe stay tuned ??

UPDATED: the Fury and Fury X are still near the top of the scores for 1080p and 1440p.. 

And if there are any more benchmark sources, let me know (or I'll look for them myself) 

There is also the VR mode RE7 will have, but sadly it's under a timed exclusive for PSVR for a year... yes, a year. And while we can imagine that modders will in no time get VR working with their modding magic, be aware that the game is Denuvo-protected. whether modders manage to get VR working or the official VR patch comes out, we may not see VR benchmarks anytime soon. 

edit: thanks to @cj09beira for this 

3 minutes ago, Wolther said:

I'm disappointed theres no DX12 or vulkan 

Also, jeez these benchmarks are weird 

RX 480 already beating according to the bench the 1070 lol

7 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I don't wanna say that VRAM is the issue, because you look at the RX 470 results vs. the Fury X and the R9 390 and they don't really stack up. This game needs some work.

and the rx 480 beating the titan x (maxwell) 

Dat VRAM usage. 970 owners shouldn't even think about buying this game.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

28 minutes ago, Wolther said:

and the rx 480 beating the titan x (maxwell) 

the funniest shit must be that 390X crushing the benches... sure it IS faster then a 480 (500GFLOPS more hardware power in a 390X vs a 480).... 

I wonder how a 295x2 would do?

Very odd indeed. Possible Fury X VRAM limit huh. Though it's interesting seeing how R9 390(X) compare with RX 480 though. My R9 290 would probably perform great then. I've seen it beating RX 480 the first benchmarks when it launched here and there, then read about differences and saw that in some parts sometimes the one and sometimes the other is better.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

48 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I don't wanna say that VRAM is the issue, because you look at the RX 470 results vs. the Fury X and the R9 390 and they don't really stack up. This game needs some work.

Same. Then you look at 4K and watch the Fury X suddenly beat the GTX 1080.

These benchmarks are all over the place, holy hell.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

1 hour ago, deXxterlab97 said:

RX 480 already beating according to the bench the 1070 lol

And rx 460 beating the 980ti.  This is a prime example of a game that should've been released a few months later

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

8 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

And rx 460 beating the 980ti.  This is a prime example of a game that should've been released a few months later

is this a title that was ported from console or something? 

Something is very wrong about this game. The Titan XM is about as fast as a 1070 (which is true) yet the 980ti is not even half as fast. Like. WTF

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

Game runs fine for me. I'm just very upset that there isn't any VR support on pc. I played vr on ps4 and it was a whole other level of scary. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

RX 470 is beating the 1070 lol wut.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

15 minutes ago, WereCat said:

This just proves how much is the AMD hardware superior to AMD hardware.

what?

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

3 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

what?

Exactly.

R9 390x beating FuryX

R9 Fury Nano beating RX 470

RX 470 beating R9 Fury Nano

R9 390 beating R9 FuryX

R9 Fury beating R9 390

R9 390 beating RX 470

RX 470 beating R9 390

RX 480 beating R9 390

R9 390 beating RX 480

What on earth are these benchmark results?

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

3 hours ago, Technicolors said:

390x is faster than a 480

Not that surprised TBH :P

I mean they're different architectures so it's possible...

1 hour ago, Coaxialgamer said:

This is a prime example of a game that should've been released a few months later

How? Just because this game tickles AMD hardware better than Nvidia hardware/AMD drivers are optimised enough for this game anyway...

tee hee hee

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Wait. You mean to tell me a japanese game sucks on PC? Without ultrawide support? *GASP*

But seriously, these results are all over the place. Good on good ol' hawaii, but you really can't conclude anything on these results. Japan has really fallen low when it comes to up to date modern games.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

50 minutes ago, WereCat said:

This just proves how much is the AMD hardware superior to AMD hardware.

Or, we chalk it up as a single title being extremely unoptimized. Yeah, I'm gonna go with that. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

i wonder where those benchmarks come from?!
i played the ''preview'' demo on steam for this game and it was running stupidly well...like 100FPS at 2560x1440 on my 980ti...i think these results are complete bullshit... :P

something is defenetly wrong because the game run just fine:

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR