AMD has been secretly developing autonomous driving solutions

rattacko123

I was reading this article on Forbes and I found something that I thought was quite interesting.

In a surprise for analysts, AMD is looking at taking its GPUs into automotive for autonomous driving and machine learning opportunities. In a conference call with reporters on the Wednesday before AMD’s earnings, Tesla CEO Elon Musk indicated that AMD, Intel, and Nvidia were all competing for the compute power for his autonomous driving system and that Nvidia had just edged out AMD. Nobody was aware that AMD had an automotive product in evaluation at Tesla; apparently, it was a stealth project. Even though AMD did not win the design, the announcement indicated that AMD was in the running and competitive with Nvidia. This may bode well for AMD in future autonomous driving system designs. Nvidia has very publicly invested significant development funds for autonomous driving with its Drive PX 2 system, which eventually won the Tesla design. Considering how close the competition was, according to Musk, we may see more AMD investment in this opportunity.

It seems that AMD has been investing in autonomous driving solutions I was quite surprised because, considering AMD's current financial situation, investing in autonomous driving would likely make an impact in their profits (they are losing money btw) which could otherwise be spent elsewhere (*cough* high end consumer GPUs) although I guess it probably makes sense because they have recently been making ARM chips which would be good for something like this.

source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/tiriasresearch/2016/10/31/amd-preparing-for-a-breakout-year-in-2017/2/

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

That's no surprise. AMD has been working on drivers for a very long time now.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

doesn't surprise me. AMD is going to explore all markets where they can utilise the benefits of GPU processing. If they can get into self driving cars they can repeat the success of getting their product into every games console

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, Bsmith said:

with acces to both CPU and GPU tech AMD might have a better entry then Nvidia or Intel currently have.

with X86, yes. But with ARM Nvidia has an equal chance with their tegra chips. AMD isn't really all that invested into the whole ARM ecosystem just yet (they only just started last year) while Nvidia has been at this for years.

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

8 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

:|

The articles themselves aren't that bad, it's just the homepage, the ads, and the god awful search engine that's bad :D  

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

-Crapbook

1 minute ago, rattacko123 said:

The articles themselves aren't that bad, it's just the homepage, the ads, and the god awful search engine that's bad :D  

The ads, oh god the ads. :o 

Personal build >  New-ish AMD main gaming setup           

PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

Stop spending money on shit that is part of a market that your not doing anything in, and fix your other fucking sources of income first.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Stop spending money on shit that is part of a market that your not doing anything in, and fix your other fucking sources of income first.

Considering that apparently everyone is into autonomous driving these days, they don't want to be late into a game that is one of the biggest games to come, and I can justify that. If NV were to get 70-80% of that market as well, that would be a huge $ problem. And there are others as well. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 hour ago, HKZeroFive said:

That's no surprise. AMD has been working on drivers for a very long time now.

kek'd

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

1 hour ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

Id1YsAC.gif

:ph34r:

well they will put a new spin on a HOT car :P

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

Gotta love how people constantly makes fire jokes about AMD, when Nvidia numerous times holds the record for the hottest cards ever. You know like Fermi and the EVGA's Pascal series firestarters. 

Anyways, autonomous cars are a bit scary. We will get fully selv drivable cars at some point, but right now the focus should be on driver assistance.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

2 hours ago, Megah3rtz said:

The ads, oh god the ads. :o 

Firefox's Reader View really comes in handy there. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

5 minutes ago, Notional said:

EVGA's Pascal series firestarters. 

You can't blame NVIDIA for that. That's a board partner problem, and not under the control of NVIDIA.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

You can't blame NVIDIA for that. That's a board partner problem, and not under the control of NVIDIA.

You can't blame AMD for hot cards either by third party vendors.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Notional said:

You can't blame AMD for hot cards either by third party vendors.

You can if it's their GPU generating all the heat, and if it's their reference cooler.

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

You can if it's their GPU generating all the heat, and if it's their reference cooler.

And it's Nvida's name on the gpu that's going up in flames no ?

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

1 minute ago, XenosTech said:

And it's Nvida's name on the gpu that's going up in flames no ?

You talking about the "EVGA Firestarters"? If so, that's an EVGA issue, not an NVIDIA issue. Unless it's on a fully reference board(and cooler), NVIDIA has no relation to it.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

You talking about the "EVGA Firestarters"? If so, that's an EVGA issue, not an NVIDIA issue. Unless it's on a fully reference board(and cooler), NVIDIA has no relation to it.

I'm pretty sure EVGA doesn't manufacture the gpu chip, so it's a NVIDIA  problem too

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Just now, XenosTech said:

I'm pretty sure EVGA doesn't manufacture the gpu chip, so it's a NVIDIA  problem too

its not the gpu chip that's the issue, it's the VRMs that get hot, Nvidia doesn't manufacture those

hello!

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

-Crapbook

Just now, rattacko123 said:

its not the gpu chip that's the issue, it's the VRMs that get hot, Nvidia doesn't manufacture those

you and the other guy clearly missing the point of what I'm saying... EVGA is making a mod to NVIDIA's product... So it looks bad on them too

Well, Tesla just saved a lot of lives by choosing Nvidia instead.

B|

Your reaction - >:(>:(>:(>:(>:(:o

(K, i dunno if they chose them, probably a chocolate at least was given)

Groomlake Authority

7 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

you and the other guy clearly missing the point of what I'm saying... EVGA is making a mod to NVIDIA's product... So it looks bad on them too

It cannot look bad on NVIDIA if EVGA is causing the problem. 

It is an EVGA issue, plain and simple. Ford should not take the hit because I put wheels on my car that are too big for the body. Same thing here. It's EVGA's doing. NVIDIA has nothing to do with it besides using a GPU which has no bearing here.