Microsoft Kills N64 emulator for Xbox One

Original article from International Business Times: Microsoft Kills Xbox One App Win64e10 That Emulates Nintendo Classics Like ‘Mario Kart 64,’ ‘Super Mario 64’

Microsoft has removed the Nintendo 64 emulator, called Win64e10, from the Xbox One Store just days after the app that revived Nintendo classics like “Super Mario 64” and “Mario Kart 64” was launched this past weekend.

According to Gamerick, a Microsoft representative has explained that the Nintendo 64 emulator had to be taken down from the Xbox One Store because it breached certain policies of the Windows Store.

The Windows Store.  Lol.  Like that ever worked.  That's why they are trying to bring down Steam.  All that competition is too much for Microsoft!

The Win64e10 launched on the Xbox Store on Sunday, promising players the chance to experience once again Nintendo’s classic games. For just $10, the app enabled users to run classic titles on Xbox One.

Since the update that enables Window Store apps to be available on the Xbox One Store was released, the company has kept a watchful eye on the apps that are being launched for Xbox One players. As a matter of fact, Microsoft also removed early this month another app that worked as a multi-console emulator for ROMs of NES, Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis games.

I only wish they had cited which policies violated what (both the article and Microsoft).  Now we'll never know.

Why would you buy Xbox One to play Ninetendo 64 games?

Well duh. There's all sorts of potential legal issues with having an emulator on console. Why'd you paint it in such a bad light?

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

I figured they would remove it due to possible legal ramifications by Nintendo. I'f I were Nintendo and you could play emulated Super Nintendo or N64 on a competing console.. I would be upset. 

4 minutes ago, christianled59 said:

Well duh. There's all sorts of potential legal issues with having an emulator on console. Why'd you paint it in such a bad light?

IP, for at least the length of time it is at, actually ruins creativity, it does not encourage it.

Just now, Jed M said:

I will never use Xbox mainly because everyone on there has slept with my mother & the amount of the script kiddies is overwhelming because they keep trying to DDoS my proxy.

Well part of why the first thing happens is because many parents just don't want to take care of their kids so the kids get raised by Xbox.

Lmao, and here I am with an Xbox Original that can keep on emulating them, especially since its got 25x the original storage.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

i'd reply with a comment on how there is a platform that let you emulate everything you want at your hearts content, but then i'd be deemed as a nazi-racist-elitist 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

22 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

i'd reply with a comment on how there is a platform that let you emulate everything you want at your hearts content, but then i'd be deemed as a nazi-racist-elitist 

Well you can use the current, superior one...or you can use one of 2 other alternatives from around 1999-2001 for emulation.....

PMSL

3 hours ago, dexxterlab97 said:

If could be a bonus for folks who play on the Xbone.

3 hours ago, Jed M said:

I will never use Xbox mainly because everyone on there has slept with my mother & the amount of the script kiddies is overwhelming because they keep trying to DDoS my proxy.

Write an e-mail to their ISP's... They have to take action since DDOS is illegal :D .

@TrigrH

Why use powrshell when you can use linux to delete all of that crap permanently... BTW im still on win7, i locked spyware10 into vbox and sometimes i tinker with it. But it still sends back data to MS so it remains in the spyware category.

6 hours ago, VPrime said:

I only wish they had cited which policies violated what (both the article and Microsoft).  Now we'll never know.

The policy where Nintendo will bum rape you if you even think about infringement on the products I'd assume. 

Seriously though, given the closed nature of the consoles there's no reasonable scenario where you can have an emulator and not be using illegal roms. It's hardly surprising they don't want emulators on their Xbox store front, it's like an open invitation for a lawsuit. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Tedny said:

There was n64 emulator for Xbox one ? 

Apparently.

PMSL

6 hours ago, VPrime said:

The Windows Store.  Lol.  Like that ever worked.  That's why they are trying to bring down Steam.  All that competition is too much for Microsoft!

It's funny how everyone takes the piss out of the windows store but doesn't say a thing about apple doing essentially the same thing

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

How can you properly emulate an N64 game without the satisfying clunk, both audible and tactile, as the cart goes in the slot?

Also unless the emulator and games were being offered on the store by Nintendo, and I can't see that happening, it would be breaching copyright so MS legally had no choice. 

Company takes down content that would violate copyright laws and cause it serious legal trouble.

More news at 11, nothing to see here folks.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

For shit's and giggles: can someone look on the Windows 10 store on a computer and see if the emulator (or any other) is there? Because I can't find a reason why it would be not allowed on the xbone yet allowed on win10 pcs....

-------

Current Rig

-------

13 hours ago, VPrime said:

Original article from International Business Times: Microsoft Kills Xbox One App Win64e10 That Emulates Nintendo Classics Like ‘Mario Kart 64,’ ‘Super Mario 64’

I really don't get the negative spin you're putting on this.

Think of it this way: N64 games are copyrighted and protected by Nintendo. They require a license from Nintendo to operate.

Microsoft allows an app that costs $10, on their XBOX Store. Because it costs money, Microsoft gets a cut of all revenue from that app. Microsoft is accepting money to illegally allow people to play emulated N64 games.

Why is this confusing to anyone? No shit they shut it down. If they didn't, Nintendo would take them to court, and win.

FYI The Windows Store is now also the XBOX Store - and the XBOX Store has been very successful with digital purchases/downloads.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

17 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I really don't get the negative spin you're putting on this.

Think of it this way: N64 games are copyrighted and protected by Nintendo. They require a license from Nintendo to operate.

Microsoft allows an app that costs $10, on their XBOX Store. Because it costs money, Microsoft gets a cut of all revenue from that app. Microsoft is accepting money to illegally allow people to play emulated N64 games.

Why is this confusing to anyone? No shit they shut it down. If they didn't, Nintendo would take them to court, and win.

FYI The Windows Store is now also the XBOX Store - and the XBOX Store has been very successful with digital purchases/downloads.

You said it yourself: the games have the copyright. If you own the game and the console you're entitled to use emulators and dump your ROM games (and yes in some jurisdictions even download ROM copies) and do as you please. 

As long as you don't sell the emulator along with some ROMs or give people direct access to them it's actually not illegal. Just because nobody can afford to take Nintendo to court and win doesn't means Nintendo is in the right: they're completely ignoring fair use exceptions.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Can't blame them, they don't want trouble with Nintendo too..

13 hours ago, dexxterlab97 said:

Just because they are older, doesn't mean they are shit. That is why Rare released 'Rare Replay' on the Xbox One, which has some remade N64 games on it.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Minibois said:

Can't blame them, they don't want trouble with Nintendo too..

Just because they are older, doesn't mean they are shit. That is why Rare released 'Rare Replay' on the Xbox One, which has some remade N64 games on it.

I didn't say they are shit. If you want N64 games then go get real N64 and play game on it

14 hours ago, dexxterlab97 said:

The point here is that it could emulate them. No one buys a new PC or console just for emulation. They usually have other purposes with them.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.