Tek Syndicate is Burning

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

16,600 views, is that a record for a thread on LTT? 

Even Slick is currently viewing this topic. 

Well it is almost like a sister channel to LTT remember the mountain lan party and stuff? Back in the "good" days there was definitively some interaction as well as between the audiences that pretty much cross over.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'm giving my goodbyes to the channel, i liked Wendell and Qain, the rest was the rest.

R.I.P. Tek Syndicate.

I still hope to see those two somewhere else on the web

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

27 minutes ago, ForsakenLive said:

This is an old message Logan sent to a viewer about Pistol. TBH I think this message is true, she has some observable distinct feminine traits which you won't find on a man.

1413018809752.jpg

imgur link of the pic http://imgur.com/a/WFHG1

Damn you censored the best part of the message.

14 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

We established he isn't and that you disagree. We're also not impressed with your chest pounding about how professional you are if you're basically just here to talk him down yet I don't personally know any of your videos and tutorials on the subjects so excuse me if I don't just take your word for it.

Are you done derailing? Of course not but it's safe to say most of us are done replying to you on the subject.

I am not here to pound myself on the chest. The only "boasting" I have done is say I held a LAN party in high school, and I was saying that to highlight that it was easy, not that I am good.

I still haven't seen any of this evidence that you used to establish that he is knowledgeable about networking (even a specific networking related subject).

I don't understand why you're getting mad at me about this. I am not insulting you.

Judging by how some people react you'd think that Qain was their dad or something.

16 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

eh consumer grade stuff is always consumer grade. Had some asus router literally melt when I was file transferring over wifi once. The other one I still own gets really damn hot and resets all the time. 

Seems odd, most routers and switches today have heat sensors to avoid that. I haven't heard of someones network equipment burning down in the last 10 years, but I haven't been working in network for a couple of years, so that might be it. The other one is more expected result of consumer hardware.

I'm thinkin your asus router might had a broken fan?

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Well it is almost like a sister channel to LTT remember the mountain lan party and stuff? Back in the "good" days there was definitively some interaction as well as between the audiences that pretty much cross over.

Ironically I fully expect Linus to totally ignore this one on next week's WAN show, and for pretty obvious reasons too. 

Maybe a quick mention and a "I'm not going to comment on this" but nothing more. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Server rooms have pretty tight temperature control (if you're on an office or uni try walking into one without a jacket, it's almost like a walk in freezer sometimes) vs a fucking warehouse. It doesn't surprises me in the least but well I don't know the specifics I might be just talking nonsense and being an ignorant idiot according to LAwLz.

Server rooms are cool because its a lot of equipment packed into a small space. To a point where there are "hot" and "cool" sides. In a warehouse this constrain is drastically reduced. If it was very humid you could likely get by with some large 40" fans. it just would not effect a singular managed to where it would brick. I work on cisco, sonicwall, and netgear switches on bother a layer 2 and layer 3 level. On networking that needs to transfer high bandwidth content across states, and there is just isnt a time where a switch, because of load, is going to brick. And if it somehow did, it would be recoverable. Thered need to be a defect with the device for it to stop working. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

12 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I am not here to pound myself on the chest. The only "boasting" I have done is say I held a LAN party in high school, and I was saying that to highlight that it was easy, not that I am good.

I still haven't seen any of this evidence that you used to establish that he is knowledgeable about networking (even a specific networking related subject).

1) So you are not here to pound yourself on the chest yet you know exactly where the boasting was done. Also you said you're a professional in IT and Networking too if I recall

2) You've been told is very different. Some disagreed with that some didn't. A high school lan party seems like a supremely ridiculous example of overestimating your own abilities, whatever I'm sure many agree that it's just plug and play a bunch of daisy chained 8 port switches and off you go. Sure.

3) I have seen his tutorial videos on pfsense. I thought they were well made and informative.

8 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Ironically I fully expect Linus to totally ignore this one on next week's WAN show, and for pretty obvious reasons too. 

Maybe a quick mention and a "I'm not going to comment on this" but nothing more. 

Given the fact that Logan openly and frequently mocks the fuck out of Linus I'm sure any reaction from him would be met with criticism and scorn from many so yeah, he'd be right to just ignore the entire thing.

8 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Server rooms are cool because its a lot of equipment packed into a small space. To a point where there are "hot" and "cool" sides. In a warehouse this constrain is drastically reduced. If it was very humid you could likely get by with some large 40" fans. it just would not effect a singular managed to where it would brick. I work on cisco, sonicwall, and netgear switches on bother a layer 2 and layer 3 level. On networking that needs to transfer high bandwidth content across states, and there is just isnt a time where a switch, because of load, is going to brick. And if it somehow did, it would be recoverable. Thered need to be a defect with the device for it to stop working. 

So in the "generic" sense of warehouse that actually represents thousands of variables this is drastically reduced? You have little to no idea about the specifics this is just guessing based on nothing at this point. Controlled environments are controlled for a reason if this wasn't a controlled environment then many many factors are not only plausible but likely.

-------

Current Rig

-------

15 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I cannot blame him for that, as any comment one way or another might be taken the wrong way by either one of the 'camps'. 

But there is a chance he will say something about it too, if the situation 'evolves' further this week. We'll see.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Minibois said:

I cannot blame him for that, as any comment one way or another might be taken the wrong way by either one of the 'camps'. 

and the internet will only hear selective words they want to hear from his words. 

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Given the fact that Logan openly and frequently mocks the fuck out of Linus I'm sure any reaction from him would be met with criticism and scorn from many so yeah, he'd be right to just ignore the entire thing.

Would be hilarious if Linus rolled the intro then cut back to him and luke wearing fuck you Logan t shirts while flipping the bird with all 4 hands :D

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Misanthrope said:

So in the "generic" sense of warehouse that actually represends thousands of variables this is drastically reduced? You have little to no idea about the specifics this is just guessing based on nothing at this point. Controlled environments are controlled for a reason if this wasn't a controlled environment then many many factors are not only plausible but likely.

It's my job. I saw the video of lan syndicate and its an empty open warehouse. The switches were behind a make shift wall. Besides ambient outdoor temps there would all the people there and all the machines running, And maybe if they foolishy had the power lines near the switches. There arent thousands of variables that would affect a singular switch to brick. 

For the specific problem in question, which is of a switch bricking, its environment was not the cause. Heat output would be fine. You could run what they had with minimal external cooling for two days. 

11 minutes ago, Tomsen said:

Seems odd, most routers and switches today have heat sensors to avoid that. I haven't heard of someones network equipment burning down in the last 10 years, but I haven't been working in network for a couple of years, so that might be it. The other one is more expected result of consumer hardware.

I'm thinkin your asus router might had a broken fan?

Consumer grade stuff is usually passively cooled, because aesthetics and silence is what most people care about, as the devices tend to be in the living room or on a landing.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

11 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I actually want Linus to give a word on it.

Maybe it's just me, i'm 17 hours behind on this and i couldn't soak up enough information to really know what is going on...

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

So in the "generic" sense of warehouse that actually represends thousands of variables this is drastically reduced? You have little to no idea about the specifics this is just guessing based on nothing at this point. Controlled environments are controlled for a reason if this wasn't a controlled environment then many many factors are not only plausible but likely.

We literally have all our offices network equipment hidden in a harry potter closet with no airflow at all. Enterprise hardware and software is aware of temperatures. Everything except the backbone isn't in any form of server-room (except the server network equipment of course). 

We have equipment in much worse conditions that are still running without issues to this day (internet testing servers in a basement that often gets some water after heavy rain).

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

2 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

Consumer grade stuff is usually passively cooled, because aesthetics and silence is what most people care about, as the devices tend to be in the living room or on a landing.

true

@LAwLz @goodtofufriday @Tomsen @Syntaxvgm @Yoinkerman

1st thing; you can't "burn" a switch simply by putting too much load onto it, that's just not how it works!

With that out of the way, my opinion on the whole switch failing and killing network ports;

Catastrophic failure; since it's a business grade switch I'm guessing it had PoE, and even though it can't send power down an ethernet cable without a proper verification, I'm sure some sort of catastrophic failure of the switch would make it possible for it to start sending PoE just before dying.

Business grade equipment is still subjected to DOA and catastrophic failures.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

2 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Oh boy, another professional!

*walks away*

Yes... Networking is a career path. People do happen to have jobs in that field.

Just now, Misanthrope said:

Oh boy, another professional!

*walks away*

Who would have thought? An IT professional on an IT forum... And one who builds out server rooms no less, making comments on server room building. Unimaginable i say! 

Just now, goodtofufriday said:

Who would have thought? An IT professional on an IT forum... And one who builds out server rooms no less, making comments on server room building. Unimaginable i say! 

As unimaginable as anonymous strangers on the internet making stuff up for the sake of winning an argument.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

1st thing; you can't "burn" a switch simply by putting too much load onto it, that's just not how it works!

With that out of the way, my opinion on the whole switch failing and killing network ports;

Catastrophic failure; since it's a business grade switch I'm guessing it had PoE, and even though it can't send power down an ethernet cable without a proper verification, I'm sure some sort of catastrophic failure of the switch would make it possible for it to start sending PoE just before dying.

This is pretty much what I said. It'd need to be a hardware failure for the switch to just stop working.

I feel bad for anyone having to filter through all this IT banter to find pertinent information about the tek syndicate downward spiral. Can we make a separate thread for this network switch discussion?

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

6 minutes ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

I actually want Linus to give a word on it.

Maybe it's just me, i'm 17 hours behind on this and i couldn't soak up enough information to really know what is going on...

WAN is like 5 days away, I'd expect more info to be public by then.

22 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

1) So you are not here to pound yourself on the chest yet you know exactly where the boasting was done. Also you said you're a professional in IT and Networking too if I recall

Yes, because you started talking about what the "IT industry wants", and while what you said is true for very very large companies, it is not at all true for the other 95% of companies. I don't think saying you are in the network industry is "boasting" though. If that's how people interpreted it then it was not my intention.

22 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

2) You've been told is very different. Some disagreed with that some didn't. A high school lan party seems like a supremely ridiculous example of overestimating your own abilities, whatever I'm sure many agree that it's just plug and play a bunch of 8 port switches and off you go. Sure.

Here is the thing... I have watched some videos with Qain and he seems like a joke to me. The things I have seen have been incoherent rambling and straight up misinformation from him. So that's the picture I have of him, a clown. If someone just goes "he helped set up a LAN party so his knowledge is legitimate" then that's not enough evidence to make me change my mind.

I have asked several times to have this fascination with Qain explained to me and so far I haven't gotten any examples of him being as good as people make him out to be.

I have made several questions to get more insight, such as asking what he helped with at the LAN, if he is specialized at something then what is his specialty, and so on, but the replies I get are just excuses and attacks aimed at me.

I really feel like I walked into a church and said "God sucks". People are acting completely irrationally and are hell bent on defending Qain for some reason.

He seems like a clown which spews garbage to me. Why is everyone else so obsessed with him? If he is knowledgeable about something, what is he knowledgeable about? If you're going to call him knowledgeable then you should know what subject he is knowledgeable about, right?

8 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Yes, something like that sounds way more likely than "we sent so much traffic that the ports broke!".

Especially since apparently several ports broke.

1 minute ago, Misanthrope said:

As unimaginable as anonymous strangers on the internet making stuff up for the sake of winning an argument.

For my months on this forum I state when needed my profession, and for years prior on other forums with the same username I state the same. Do I need to give you access to my Azure farm to believe that maybe someone on the LTT forum is an actual IT pro?

No disrespect but I don't think you know enough to question whats being said.