Tek Syndicate is Burning

8 minutes ago, ScootsMcgoots said:

Wait is Pistol a ladyboy?  I'm not joking this is a serious question. 

1 minute ago, Trixanity said:

Feeling ashamed about all those hours of research?

you know, I literally never cared about her existence, but now that I look at her....maybe? Is there anything I'm missing? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

you know, I literally never cared about her existence, but now that I look at her....maybe? Is there anything I'm missing? 

All I can say about that.  Facial structure, hands, shoulders.  Something ain't right.

11 minutes ago, Kelbor-Hal said:

You must not know much about switches.

I do.

For a LAN party that's only going to be up 2 days with like 100-200 people, unmanaged switches (or managed switches with next to no config) would be completely fine, and it would be plug-n-play.

2 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

For an idea, we were using linksys 24 + 2 (or maybe just 24) enterprise switches at lan syndicate, and managed to brick one of the 15 switches and about a dozen individual ports with the loads we put on them.

You don't brick switches by putting load on them, especially not in 2 days.

It's not a bloody car you rev too high.

You were probably unlucky, doing something wrong, or the switches didn't actually get bricked (in before you had something like storm control enabled and the ports were just in error-disabled).

Maybe this is what happens when you hire Quin... He breaks your equipment. ;)

Just now, SurvivorNVL said:

All I can say about that.  Facial structure, hands, shoulders.  Something ain't right.

I 100% agree. Never really even looked at her face before, google her picture, I got man vibes immediately. Like, I'm surprised I didn't notice first glance. Really well done, but the face structure, the prominence of her adams apple, or rather the fact she's always wearing something on her neck there, one picture looks like she puts a lot makeup on her neck...

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Just now, LAwLz said:

I do.

For a LAN party that's only going to be up 2 days with like 100-200 people, unmanaged switches (or managed switches with next to no config) would be completely fine, and it would be plug-n-play.

You were probably unlucky, doing something wrong, or the switches didn't actually get bricked (in before you had something like storm control enabled and the ports were just in error-disabled).

yah I'm hoping someone can explain this to me, what did they do? wrap them in a towel and set a hair dryer in front of it? 

I mean, any properly made switch cut out for a large job like that won't overheat, even at maximum throughput, or at least I thought. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Just now, ScootsMcgoots said:

Yeah I never EVER  thought of her as having a dick until I saw that thread on reddit mention it...all these years I felt there was something off abut her lol...I just couldn't put my finger on it. 

it was her personality that prevented me from paying enough attention to notice. 

muh specs 

All parts black

8 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

say a couple hundred people are pulling from a file share at the same time......

wut

I don't understand, please explain. Networking is not my thing, but I've never heard of that, a heavy load bricking a switch/ports. 

I have to agree. I do this secularly and have never heard of load bricking a managed switch. Degrade service? Sure. Brick it? I dont see how thats possible. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Really? So I wouldn't have to replace the switches in our companies backbone network every other day due to putting to much load on them?? 

So much downtime we could have saved! xD

/s

I'm thinking his method of setting up a network is through trial and error..

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

2 minutes ago, Tomsen said:

Really? So I wouldn't have to replace the switches in our companies backbone network every other day due to putting to much load on them?? 

So much downtime we could have saved! xD

/s

I'm thinking his method of setting up a network is through trial and error..

So wait, are you making fun of the bricked switches thing or not? 

muh specs 

All parts black

So wait, are you making fun of the bricked switches thing or not? 

I'm making fun of the conclusion as to why the switches bricked.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

2 minutes ago, Tomsen said:

I'm making fun of the conclusion as to why the switches bricked.

ok, that's what I thought, I've never heard of that, and google gave me nothing. I'm no networking expert, but all I've heard about as far as brick switches go are regular hardware failure at a small rate (defective), or heat issues with bad ventilation (like a telecommunications closet or neglected failed fans on crappy quality switches) or some kind of software issues when when writing to it 

muh specs 

All parts black

They were all brand new so its possible one had a destiny to die 

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

29 minutes ago, ScootsMcgoots said:

Yeah I never EVER  thought of her as having a dick until I saw that thread on reddit mention it...all these years I felt there was something off abut her lol...I just couldn't put my finger on it. 

This is an old message Logan sent to a viewer about Pistol. TBH I think this message is true, she has some observable distinct feminine traits which you won't find on a man.

1413018809752.jpg

imgur link of the pic http://imgur.com/a/WFHG1

8 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

ok, that's what I thought, I've never heard of that, and google gave me nothing. I'm no networking expert, but all I've heard about as far as brick switches go are regular hardware failure at a small rate (defective), or heat issues with bad ventilation (like a telecommunications closet or neglected failed fans on crappy quality switches) or some kind of software issues when when writing to it 

On top of which a software brick and usually be fixed through console or other means. You can manage a firmware brick, but anything worth the money has a means to save itself or to flash back.

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

This makes me sad. I used to be a huge fan of Tek Syndicate. There was a time where they were my favorite tech channel. That time has sadly long passed. I hope Qain and Wendell keep the brand afloat. They've taught me so much over the years and I'd hate for them to stop making content after all of this.

5 minutes ago, ForsakenLive said:

This is an old message Logan sent to a viewer about Pistol. TBH I think this message is true, she has some observable distinct feminine traits which you won't find on a man.

1413018809752.jpg

Any chance you can host on imgur and link to it, internal image hosting is broken right now. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, TPLNDj said:

This makes me sad. I used to be a huge fan of Tek Syndicate. There was a time where they were my favorite tech channel. That time has sadly long passed. I hope Qain and Wendell keep the brand afloat. They've taught me so much over the years and I'd hate for them to stop making content after all of this.

Wendell owns tek hardware and tek linux. Logan owns the tek syndicate channel and Wendell said he was going to continue to produce content.

Steve

12 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

In this day and age, you wouldn't ever experience that, not even with consumer grade hardware. Perhaps if it was equipment from back in the 70-80s.

Software issues should really not be a problem with enterprise hardware, what is more likely is a wrong setup, which would doom to fail at some point.

Just now, Tomsen said:

In this day and age, you wouldn't ever experience that, not even with consumer grade hardware. Perhaps if it was equipment from back in the 70-80s.

Software issues should really not be a problem with enterprise hardware, what is more likely is a wrong setup, which would doom to fail at some point.

eh consumer grade stuff is always consumer grade. Had some asus router literally melt when I was file transferring over wifi once. The other one I still own gets really damn hot and resets all the time. 

muh specs 

All parts black

eh consumer grade stuff is always consumer grade. Had some asus router literally melt when I was file transferring over wifi once. The other one I still own gets really damn hot and resets all the time. 

Its the same principle

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

Anyway, the only time I have seen Qain talk about networking he has sounded like a fucking idiot who just makes shit up. Just saying "I have met him when I set up a LAN party so I know he is legit" doesn't prove anything. In what area is he specialized?

We established he isn't and that you disagree. We're also not impressed with your chest pounding about how professional you are if you're basically just here to talk him down yet I don't personally know any of your videos and tutorials on the subjects so excuse me if I don't just take your word for it.

Are you done derailing? Of course not but it's safe to say most of us are done replying to you on the subject.

-------

Current Rig

-------

35 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

yah I'm hoping someone can explain this to me, what did they do? wrap them in a towel and set a hair dryer in front of it? 

I mean, any properly made switch cut out for a large job like that won't overheat, even at maximum throughput, or at least I thought. 

Server rooms have pretty tight temperature control (if you're on an office or uni try walking into one without a jacket, it's almost like a walk in freezer sometimes) vs a fucking warehouse. It doesn't surprises me in the least but well I don't know the specifics I might be just talking nonsense and being an ignorant idiot according to LAwLz.

-------

Current Rig

-------

16,600 views, is that a record for a thread on LTT? 

Even Slick is currently viewing this topic. 

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)