Louis Rossmann going up against Apple starting tomorrow

8 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

What quality are you downloading it at?

I also calculated that his average video is about the 40 minutes, you are currently downloading a video that is 40 minutes, so you are going to be downloading about 350GB

720p, the max that youtubedl does

6 hours ago, UnknownEngineer said:

Someone mentioned the channel being ~350GB and ~700 videos. Not sure what quality though. If you are going to do it, please make sure that all the videos have audio, from 420p onward the tracks are separate.

400/700 done, plenty of space left

youtubedl is running at max quality 720p with audio

looks pretty decent for ~2Mbps video

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

21 minutes ago, kameshss said:

So, someone here can download all his 727 videos? Who is it going to be? Everything at max resolution.

Actually based on the link @mrchow19910319 posted it seems numerous reddit members seem to be on it, but I'll still download some of the apple related videos since spreading those across the internet is an option if apple pursues this crap

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

720p, the max that youtubedl does

400/700 done, plenty of space left

youtubedl is running at max quality 720p with audio

looks pretty decent for ~2Mbps video

Oh and apparently you also already got it covered enderman

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

Oh and apparently you also already got it covered enderman

i had a bunch of extra space so why not

:P

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

i had a bunch of extra space so why not

:P

I have 2Mbps down/0.5 up. I'd download if I can. Also I've 40GB Data Cap. So :(

Thanks for doing this @Enderman

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

35 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

if he becomes an authorized apple repair shop if someone comes to him with a dead motherboard he probably will have to throw the motherboard away get a replacement and then charge the person for the replacement and say he repaired it -_-

There are some out there who are willing to spend that extra, by getting it repair by a authorized Apple repair center instead of some shop on the street corner. Most but not some, will prefer to have it replaced instead of having it repaired because to them, having a brand new board, means all other potential problems are eliminated, thus giving them a ease of mind.

The problem is, him boasting that statement too early, and now he has no where to turn to. Sucks to be him, but he did it to himself. And I've said earlier, he can start repair PCs and Android, instead of just Apple products. And those who actually spend say $3,000 on a Mac, and are not willing to spend the amount to get it properly fix, should even be allow to get it in the first place.

Spend $300,000 in a Ferrari then spend your repair bill to be sky high.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

11 minutes ago, Minibois said:

But if a schoolmate can fix what someone who made their job of out fixing this stuff can't fix, it's a bit weird. The reason I asked for a refund was not because I think their time is useless, it's because they couldn't fix something that apparently was easy enough for someone in school to fix.

I have spoken with people in the field and they seem very nice. 

Fair enough. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

9 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

There are some out there who are willing to spend that extra, by getting it repair by a authorized Apple repair center instead of some shop on the street corner. Most but not some, will prefer to have it replaced instead of having it repaired because to them, having a brand new board, means all other potential problems are eliminated, thus giving them a ease of mind.

The problem is, him boasting that statement too early, and now he has no where to turn to. Sucks to be him, but he did it to himself. And I've said earlier, he can start repair PCs and Android, instead of just Apple products. And those who actually spend say $3,000 on a Mac, and are not willing to spend the amount to get it properly fix, should even be allow to get it in the first place.

so getting a component level repair where he replaces the component that isnt working while the rest of the board is isnt proper repair and throwing away the board and putting in a new one is repair ok. i should start my own desktop PC repair shop where if your gpu doesnt work i throw it away and charge you for me to put in a new gpu

Well it would appear that someone already setup a torrent (I don't know if I'm allowed to link kickass though even if the content itself isn't illicit)

https://kat.cr/louis-rossmann-backup-t12864278.html

12 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Unless  you tell the customer that eother they can spend 750$ on a board replacement or 350$ on a board repair   

It gives the customer a choice. Apple does not offer this choice, and restricting this choice only benefits apple, not the customer. 

Its anti-consumer. 

Pc and android repair is not profitable enough. Apple repair is. Which is why repair centers do both. Fixing apple allows the budget to also fix pc/android. 

Hes boastful in his knowledge that he has despite apples efforts to restrict this knowledge from being in the hands of the consumer and repair shops. There is nothing wrong with being able proud of going against a anti-consumer business and winning (in terms of gaining knowledge to fix their stuff)

13 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

No. Take your Ferrari to someone knows who they are doing, the local motor repair store may have only worked on Japanese and cheaper European cars but it doesn't mean he is not good enough to service or repair the Ferrari and it doesn't mean the Ferrari worker knows any better. 

Same applies with Louis and similar independent repairers, he knows more about the laptop than the idiot at the genius bar and can diagnosis what is wrong with it and fix it. 

Louis gave the Ferrari example in one of his videos. Are you trying to troll?

Fixing a motherboard correctly can actually fix a design flaw meaning the computer will last longer, he also said that in one of his videos. 

10 hours ago, wcreek said:

Depends on if they're suing him in NY or CA. If it's in his state, they might be more in favor of consumer protection. Which in turn might yield a different judgement.

his only chance is to go China ---> Russia like Snowden

presidential pardon from Obama is his only hope

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

11 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

It's apple. Of course they're not going to lose.

There's no way he can win.

Not *necessarily* true. America is an extremely litigious society and--despite many people's impressions--contains the absolute most fair judicial system in the world. The fact that there are hundreds of law suits dubbed "frivolous" by the media, which actually have very fair conclusions is evidence of this. Ultimately, it is up to a jury of your PEERS to find the facts and the facts always determine the outcome.

Take the McDonald's coffee lawsuit for instance. Many find that the epitome of a "frivolous" lawsuit, but when you actually look at the case, then you can see anything but. The coffee was served at a temperature that could cause severe burns when in contact with the skin for only seconds--and to top it off it was served FAR ABOVE the safety guidelines THAT CORPORATE MCDONALDS DECIDED WAS SAFE. Then when you factor in things such as the pretrial negotiations when McDonald's offered to settle for no more than $5,000 when the medical expenses were in the excess of a hundred thousand dollars, yea the case doesn't sound so ridiculous now.

Ought she have been more careful when handling the coffee, you can make that argument, but that argument failed in the court system in the previous century. And that's just the point. Most people don't really understand what the "Law" actually is, but this is becoming a digression.

The point I'm making here is that money and power--while it is an advantage in litigation--is not where the decision is made. The decision always comes down to what the facts and the law is. That coupled with the fact that it is a jury of YOUR peers that the case is decided with . . .

If Louis were to actually find a way to battle it out in court and make it to trial, who do you think people are going to find more sympathetic? Who do you think people are going to find their behavior favorable. Unless Apple can clearly point to an issue of law that Louis clearly broke, then there's not much that they're going to be able to do.

As far as these schematics go, its a very niche area of IP law. It doesn't appear that Louis is distributing the schematics. And although he has shown them a few times on his Youtube channel, the schematics aren't shown in full and its possible or even likely that there is fair use in the way that he's using them (as he is literally teaching people about electronics.) And while it is true that in the U.S. downloading copyrighted material is generally more illegal than not, the law just simply isn't as clear about *downloading* copyrighted material as it is about *distributing*. Again, (I'm reiterating) *downloading* copyrighted material is a shady area, but when you factor in that all the schematic information of the hardware that YOU bought is actually contained INSIDE what YOU bought, there might be a legitimate case here (along with the right to repair being a side issue that can change things as well. I'm just saying that the case is more complicated than music/movie piracy and there very well could be room for legal arguments on both sides).

And this leads to the big *however* to everything that I've stated.

I'm speculating on a lot of things here. None of us have accurate knowledge of whats going on, or even if it really *is* apple (though that does seem to be most likely true) that is going after Louis. However, there are lots of consumer rights lawyers who could possibly be interested in picking up this case. There is a long, difficult, and expensive legal battle before a case actually reaches trial. Yet, there are lots of lawyers that live and die by defending these sorts of cases. This is the kind of case that can easily become high profile and can influence the law for years to come. Don't take what I'm saying as gospel, but don't think that money and a large legal team necessarily determines the outcome of a legal battle. While its true those things are advantages, the greatest advantage is having the facts on your side.

8 hours ago, Kloaked said:

-snip-

dude why this turned into a recycling rant i have no idea......his trade is dying because its getting easyer to replace items or there are reall cheap 3rd party waranties out there hence progression. 

and you may like him but i dont, its called opinion dont get so salty over it.

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

58 minutes ago, SSBbroly said:

Take the McDonald's coffee lawsuit for instance. Many find that the epitome of a "frivolous" lawsuit, but when you actually look at the case, then you can see anything but. The coffee was served at a temperature that could cause severe burns when in contact with the skin for only seconds--and to top it off it was served FAR ABOVE the safety guidelines THAT CORPORATE MCDONALDS DECIDED WAS SAFE. Then when you factor in things such as the pretrial negotiations when McDonald's offered to settle for no more than $5,000 when the medical expenses were in the excess of a hundred thousand dollars, yea the case doesn't sound so ridiculous now.

"But Jackie says the cap was faulty!"

+10 points and a cookie if you get the reference.

-------

Current Rig

-------

2 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

so getting a component level repair where he replaces the component that isnt working while the rest of the board is isnt proper repair and throwing away the board and putting in a new one is repair ok. i should start my own desktop PC repair shop where if your gpu doesnt work i throw it away and charge you for me to put in a new gpu

99.99999% are already like this. You actually think the gpu you send in for RMA gets repaired and sent back. It gets replaced, it has a different serial number than the one you've sent back.

2 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

Unless  you tell the customer that eother they can spend 750$ on a board replacement or 350$ on a board repair   

It gives the customer a choice. Apple does not offer this choice, and restricting this choice only benefits apple, not the customer. 

Its anti-consumer. 

Pc and android repair is not profitable enough. Apple repair is. Which is why repair centers do both. Fixing apple allows the budget to also fix pc/android. 

Hes boastful in his knowledge that he has despite apples efforts to restrict this knowledge from being in the hands of the consumer and repair shops. There is nothing wrong with being able proud of going against a anti-consumer business and winning (in terms of gaining knowledge to fix their stuff)

If he want to keep his business running, then he has no other option but to start repair other stuffs. Not just Apple parts because it's more profitable.

He should keep of his knowledge, instead of blabbering it on YT to gain subscribers, cause other can just learn from this and open their own shops.

2 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

No. Take your Ferrari to someone knows who they are doing, the local motor repair store may have only worked on Japanese and cheaper European cars but it doesn't mean he is not good enough to service or repair the Ferrari and it doesn't mean the Ferrari worker knows any better. 

Same applies with Louis and similar independent repairers, he knows more about the laptop than the idiot at the genius bar and can diagnosis what is wrong with it and fix it. 

Louis gave the Ferrari example in one of his videos. Are you trying to troll?

Fixing a motherboard correctly can actually fix a design flaw meaning the computer will last longer, he also said that in one of his videos. 

Never watch any of his repair videos, except for that vlog where he talking about meeting Linus, when he (Linus) was in NY. Fixing a board = fixing a design flaw? You actually believe in what he says? So that means all engineers who design it, must have no idea what they're doing. What does de-solder a broken component and re-solder a new one back, have anything to do with "fixing a design flaw"? For Asus board, the rev number indicated the number of times that product goes back to the drawing board, on the flaws that was discovered. A perfect flawless design board will have Rev 1.00. My X99 Deluxe says Rev 1.03, that means it has go back to the drawing board 3 times. It's business talk, he's a business man who has a shop to run and employees to feed.

Let's see how this outcome turns out. If he wins, then good for him. If not, then everyone here will just carry on with their normal day.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

11 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

99.99999% are already like this. You actually think the gpu you send in for RMA gets repaired and sent back. It gets replaced, it has a different serial number than the one you've sent back.

If he want to keep his business running, then he has no other option but to start repair other stuffs. Not just Apple parts because it's more profitable.

He should keep of his knowledge, instead of blabbering it on YT to gain subscribers, cause other can just learn from this and open their own shops.

Never watch any of his repair videos, except for that vlog where he talking about meeting Linus, when he (Linus) was in NY. Fixing a board = fixing a design flaw? You actually believe in what he says? So that means all engineers who design it, must have no idea what they're doing. What does de-solder a broken component and re-solder a new one back, have anything to do with "fixing a design flaw"? For Asus board, the rev number indicated the number of times that product goes back to the drawing board, on the flaws that was discovered. A perfect flawless design board will have Rev 1.00. My X99 Deluxe says Rev 1.03, that means it has go back to the drawing board 3 times. It's business talk, he's a business man who has a shop to run and employees to feed.

Let's see how this outcome turns out. If he wins, then good for him. If not, then everyone here will just carry on with their normal day.

but thats replacement not "repair" and it costs more than what he is currently charging for repair

8 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

You should probably watch more than just one of his videos if you want to understand what the heck he's doing

And just fyi, the "genius bar" people at apple are not the engineers who design the products, or anywhere near as intelligent

They are just techies that are taught when to replace an entire motherboard, or entire screen, or when to just take a new product off the shelf

Louis doesn't do that, he finds the broken chip, or resistor, or whatever and replaces it with a working one because he doesn't have access to hundreds of apple motherboards of all the different models

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

See bold portion of your quote - This is EXACTLY what he wants to happen; hes states many times he wants others to learn. So what is your argument here? I'll just take it as you agree with him. 

If you ever watched a video of his he works on other equipment, you see them in the background. he just posts apple related things online to teach other people about apples practices and how to fix their hardware.

Its pretty damn clear you havent watched his videos, and thus have no idea what youre talking about. Stop wasting peoples time already. 

6 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

See bold portion of your quote - This is EXACTLY what he wants to happen; hes states many times he wants others to learn. So what is your argument here? I'll just take it as you agree with him. 

If you ever watched a video of his he works on other equipment, you see them in the background. he just posts apple related things online to teach other people about apples practices and how to fix their hardware.

Its pretty damn clear you havent watched his videos, and thus have no idea what youre talking about. Stop wasting peoples time already. 

yes he states multiple times that the purpose of his channel is to help others become successful at the repair business and in his videos he doesnt just talk about how to repair stuff he also talks about how to run your business in fact imo that is a bigger part of his channel than the repair videos

10 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

I was just going to reply to my comment but this is too hilarious to let go.

Its super apparent you have zero idea of what youre saying and are talking out of your ass with assumptions.

Apples laptops have multiple design flaws in both their cooling and structural designs. Sometimes this can even be with pcbs. Different revisions of boards do not always mean design flaws. There are products that release with design flaws. And please dont be so dense as to say no they dont. 

But in case you do, Apple had a design flaw with the iphone 4 where if you held it wrong the signal dropped out. Apples response was they were holding the phone wrong.

For boards that release with flaws there are fixes that repair techs make. This can be from replacing components to higher quality ones, creating jump points, down to creating custom daughter boards. 

So again, please stop wasting peoples time. 

2 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

I was just going to reply to my comment but this is too hilarious to let go.

Its super apparent you have zero idea of what youre saying and are talking out of your ass with assumptions.

Apples laptops have multiple design flaws in both their cooling and structural designs. Sometimes this can even be with pcbs. Different revisions of boards do not always mean design flaws. There are products that release with design flaws. And please dont be so dense as to say no they dont. 

But in case you do, Apple had a design flaw with the iphone 4 where if you held it wrong the signal dropped out. Apples response was they were holding the phone wrong.

For boards that release with flaws there are fixes that repair techs make. This can be from replacing components to higher quality ones, creating jump points, down to creating custom daughter boards. 

So again, please stop wasting peoples time. 

Wait, how the hell do you hold a smartphone wrong? They have automatic screen rotation for a reason.

10 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

but thats replacement not "repair" and it costs more than what he is currently charging

So the faulty gpu you sent back for RMA, comes back with a bill, while it's still under warranty? You pay for shipping, not the repair of the card. When your GPU is out of warranty, some might try the el cheapo oven bake method to get it work (not going to spend $$$ on some fancy equipment) and if it does not work, you go out and buy a new one.

10 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You should probably watch more than just one of his videos if you want to understand what the heck he's doing

And just fyi, the "genius bar" people at apple are not the engineers who design the products, or anywhere near as intelligent

They are just techies that are taught when to replace an entire motherboard, or entire screen, or whatever

Louis doesn't do that, he finds the broken chip, or resistor, or whatever and replaces it with a working one because he doesn't have access to hundreds of apple motherboards of all the different models

I know the people at Genius bar aren't engineers and I don't think they even replace hardware parts. The mostly just teach users how to do certain task. like how to change background picture. And I know what he's trying to do, so no point on watching.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

1 minute ago, Starelementpoke said:

Wait, how the hell do you hold a phone wrong?

the antenna would get covered by your hand and give you no signal

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

the antenna would get covered by your hand and give you no signal

huh. Don't know why I didn't think of that.