Louis Rossmann going up against Apple starting tomorrow

3 hours ago, wcreek said:

Huh interesting. Wonder why the FTC or whoever is in charge of that hasn't pursued fining businesses that practice that warranty void if removed stuff. Probably lobbying and corruption. 

I was going to say "because: Congress".

That being said. I don't really care. I don't like this guy at all because I think he's a moron. After his video giving ifixit shit, and claiming that you don't need to remove the battery on a device before repairing it, I wouldn't trust anything he says, no matter what his qualifications might be.

Sure, it might be fine 99 times out of 100, but it's still bad fucking advice to give out. I repair laptops in bulk, and I've seen plenty of people short a board out because they didn't take the battery out.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

That being said. I don't really care. I don't like this guy at all because I think he's a moron. After his video giving ifixit shit, and claiming that you don't need to remove the battery on a device before repairing it, I wouldn't trust anything he says, no matter what his qualifications might be.

Actually I don't think he has many (if any) qualifications.  He makes a point of stating it every now and then how he dropped out of whatever it was and started doing this instead.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Actually I don't think he has many (if any) qualifications.  He makes a point of stating it every now and then how he dropped out of whatever it was and started doing this instead.

Then why in hell does anyone listen to him?

Seriously. When he gives advice like "you don't need to take the battery out of a device to repair it", I question the quality of his work over-all.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Seriously. When he gives advice like "you don't need to take the battery out of a device to repair it", I question the quality of his work over-all.

He went to school for audio, and picked up on electronics repair. It comes easy to him.

Just because he doesn't have paper qualifications doesn't mean anything. He knows what the hell he's talking about.

Well that does sound quite dumb to me at first glance, but there might be a reason for it.  I know he often checks voltages of different parts during the repair to see what is and isn't working, so you'd need power for that.  Anyways, he often makes good points, and he has been running a successful business so he must be doing something right.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

He went to school for audio, and picked up on electronics repair. It comes easy to him.

Just because he doesn't have paper qualifications doesn't mean anything. He knows what the hell he's talking about.

Perhaps, but I would still not let him repair anything of mine if he's taking amateur ass shortcuts like not disconnecting a battery before making repairs.

Sorry, but no, that's just amateur quality work right there. It might be fine 99 times out of 100, but that 100th time when you fry my device, you cost yourself money, and possibly cost me more time (not to mention the possibility of losing my data). That's just shoddy workmanship all around.

Guys, please note that everything at this point is alleged! Don't get me wrong, I dislike apple as much as the next guy and I love Louis's channel but don't go crazy at apple(yet), but wait for an update on the situation since it may not related at apple(even though it looks like it is). Don't rush things before being 100% sure it's apple behind all this.

NO! It's art, it's colonialism and you'll never get it!

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well that does sound quite dumb to me at first glance, but there might be a reason for it.  I know he often checks voltages of different parts during the repair to see what is and isn't working, so you'd need power for that.  Anyways, he often makes good points, and he has been running a successful business so he must be doing something right.

That's why you keep a charger at your work station, and plug the device in when you need to test it.

Like I said, it might be fine 99 times out of 100, but it's still a shortcut that lazy amateurs take

2 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Perhaps, but I would still not let him repair anything of mine if he's taking amateur ass shortcuts like not disconnecting a battery before making repairs.

Sorry, but no, that's just amateur quality work right there. It might be fine 99 times out of 100, but that 100th time when you fry my device, you cost yourself money, and possibly cost me more time. That's just shoddy workmanship all around.

I would like to see where he says "taking out the battery is unnecessary" so I know the context surrounding it.

I would also like to add, that he has a business. These days, if you're still in business with a company like his, you're doing something right. I'm not saying the guy is perfect, but maybe he knows his shit more than you think he does.

2 hours ago, Enderman said:

are you downloading one by one or using a tool?

I have 3TB, pretty sure I could archive the entire channel tonight

2 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

I'm using YTD video downloader, the thing that says quedquedquedqued on it, but, please do get the entire channel. Shouldn't be more than ~150 gigs.

Someone mentioned the channel being ~350GB and ~700 videos. Not sure what quality though. If you are going to do it, please make sure that all the videos have audio, from 420p onward the tracks are separate.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

5 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

I would like to see where he says "taking out the battery is unnecessary" so I know the context surrounding it.

I would also like to add, that he has a business. These days, if you're still in business with a company like his, you're doing something right. I'm not saying the guy is perfect, but maybe he knows his shit more than you think he does.

He says it at one point in this video.

He's basically criticizing ifixit for teaching people the correct way to disassemble their devices.

Everything about that video, he just comes off as a complete asshole to me.

13 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Sure, it might be fine 99 times out of 100, but it's still bad fucking advice to give out. I repair laptops in bulk, and I've seen plenty of people short a board out because they didn't take the battery out.

I guess them too.

Eh, okay.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

I guess them too.

Eh, okay.

He comes off as someone who doesn't give a shit about people, and only cares about his own profit.

And before someone claims "well businesses exist to make profit!" no, a business is not supposed to be a completely sociopathic entity, they're supposed to exist to bring a product or service to market, at a competitive price.

He comes off as someone who doesn't give a shit about people, and only cares about his own profit.

And before someone claims "well businesses exist to make profit!" no, a business is not supposed to be a completely sociopathic entity, they're supposed to exist to bring a product or service to market, at a competitive price.

Isn't that what a lot of companies and business owners tend to sound like though? At least the greedy ones?

3 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Also in that video he did say that he does what he does to make his customers happy not for the money. Though it's possible he does it for both or for one or the other.

4 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Also in that video he did say that he does what he does to make his customers happy not for the money. Though it's possible he does it for both or for one or the other.

He says repeatedly throughout the video that "I do this to make money" so..... he's maybe full of it? He just comes off as an uncaring prick that possibly gives bad advice, and possibly does shoddy work himself.

5 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Isn't that what a lot of companies and business owners tend to sound like though? At least the greedy ones?

Yeah, and it's a major problem with our economy. Corporations run by people like that, go about making profit in the most asinine way possible. Like the ISP's do with trying to lock everything down, and bribe politicians into letting them make their own monopolies, rather than actually freaking competing.

6 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

He says repeatedly throughout the video that "I do this to make money" so..... he's maybe full of it? He just comes off as an uncaring prick that possibly gives bad advice, and possibly does shoddy work himself.

Yeah, and it's a major problem with our economy.

Huh I thought he was saying I don't dont it to make money. Well whatever. I do agree he does come across as a bit of an arrogant prick. I just don't think that he should be sued or whatever.

Yes it is. I mean wanting to make money is good and fine. But I think what a lot of business owners and companies tend to forget that without their customers and employees is that their existence would be next to impossible. Since the idea of a business is to provide a good or service to some form of client/customer. Whether you sell your product or service to an individual or to another company. Either one is still your customer or client, and both still should get an excellent experience with doing business with your company.

11 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

He says it at one point in this video.

He's basically criticizing ifixit for teaching people the correct way to disassemble their devices.

10 minutes in. Haven't heard him blatantly say anything about not having to remove a battery yet.

7 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Have you watched more than one of his videos? Do you understand what his channel is mainly about? He's not up there to make you feel good about yourself.

And no, that's not only why businesses exist. Businesses exist to make money. If that's not your goal in a business, you don't have a business, you have a non-profit organization. 

If they choose to go the route to "bring a product or service to market, at a competitive price" and keep themselves in the red like, idk, AMD, so be it. If they wanna actually make some fucking money, they're going to work even harder and make their product better so they can charge more than other brands and people will actually pay it - and no, I'm not saying Nvidia is the better one here, I just used AMD as an example.

Yeah, and it's a major problem with our economy.

You can be in it to make money and care about people. The dude has a ton of videos, and the video you linked me was from 2014. Nobody can change their opinions or outlook on life right? You act like this guy is a robot for you to sit back and judge.

You do know that you, myself, and many other people on this forum come across as dicks and whatever you claim Louis is too, right? Are you irate that Louis is a bigger dick than you are? I'm really having trouble understanding the hate he gets.

15 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

10 minutes in. Haven't heard him blatantly say anything about not having to remove a battery yet.

Have you watched more than one of his videos? Do you understand what his channel is mainly about? He's not up there to make you feel good about yourself.

And no, that's not only why businesses exist. Businesses exist to make money. If that's not your goal in a business, you don't have a business, you have a non-profit organization. 

If they choose to go the route to "bring a product or service to market, at a competitive price" and keep themselves in the red like, idk, AMD, so be it. If they wanna actually make some fucking money, they're going to work even harder and make their product better so they can charge more than other brands and people will actually pay it - and no, I'm not saying Nvidia is the better one here, I just used AMD as an example.

You can be in it to make money and care about people. The dude has a ton of videos, and the video you linked me was from 2014. Nobody can change their opinions or outlook on life right? You act like this guy is a robot for you to sit back and judge.

You do know that you, myself, and many other people on this forum come across as dicks and whatever you claim Louis is too, right? Are you irate that Louis is a bigger dick than you are? I'm really having trouble understanding the hate he gets.

Everyone on the internet comes off as a dick sooner or later.

And running a business purely for the purpose of making money, is one of the largest problems with our entire global economy. No body gives a shit about anything but themselves. Making a profit isn't inherently bad, caring ONLY about making a profit is killing humanity.

And he says it at about 2:00. He's talking about a guide that ifixit had, and he apparently didn't like how many pages it had about removing an lcd screen from a device. I can tell you right now, plugging and unplugging an lcd screen to a powered device, can cause the screen, or even the output on the device to fry.

He also says "they take a 20 minute job, and turn it into an hour job". I could criticize that, but my job is about speed (and not taking shortcuts) so it isn't really a fair comparison. The average person isn't completely disassembling and reassembling their device 20 times a day.

Edit: Don't get me wrong though. I hope he wins. Apple being assholes about people repairing their products is something I view as being wrong. My personal opinion of Louis is fairly unrelated. Besides, of the two, Apple are much bigger assholes.

Everyone on the internet comes off as a dick sooner or later.

But because Louis is a bigger dick, that makes it okay for you judge him behind your keyboard? I still don't understand.

You can think whatever the fuck you want, but you're posting this on an open forum so you're going to have someone talking back to you. 

3 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

And running a business purely for the purpose of making money, is one of the largest problems with our entire global economy. No body gives a shit about anything but themselves.

No it's not, but I know what you're trying to say. You're saying that there are businesses (like Apple, Samsung, Microsoft (lets just say every company)) who a lot of the time send their lawyers out to make them some money on some bullshit infringement claim; they like to screw over people on warranties; they don't like giving proper customer service and give you a big "fuck you" instead. I understand. Wanna know what's worse? They keep getting away with it because of poor regulation. It's like a child who keeps screaming his head off while they shop with mommy because mommy keeps caving in and giving them what they want; it's like that entitled middle-aged soccer mom who goes into Starbucks and wants to talk to a manager and get a free coffee because "she doesn't have time to wait around all day for her coffee" and gets it because Starbucks corporate doesn't give a fuck and caves in.

Everyone is out for themselves on some level. That soccer mom I just mentioned could be a stay-at-home mom, but she's out for herself even though she doesn't own a fortune 500 company.

The problem isn't businesses, it's the attitudes of people and the continuity of them getting away with their shitty behavior - people who were never told "no" when they grew intelligent enough to understand how to get what they want from mommy and daddy.

So before you shit on Louis, go watch more than just the video he linked. He's a genuine person, and he knows his shit. He's not putting on some fake facade to make you feel good, and that's something to admire about people today.

11 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

And he says it at about 2:00. He's talking about a guide that ifixit had, and he apparently didn't like how many pages it had about removing an lcd screen from a device. I can tell you right now, plugging and unplugging an lcd screen to a powered device, can cause the screen, or even the output on the device to fry.

And no, he didn't outright say you didn't need to remove the battery. But there may be some scenarios where removing a battery is unnecessary and a waste of time if you know what you're doing, so don't dismiss that entirely.

4 hours ago, KWelz said:

I have never been able to stand this guy.  He is an egotistical know-it-all with delusions of grandure.   I would be willing to put good money on him being in trouble for some shady sources of materials and/or blueprints.    

While I agree on the Right to repair bill, that doesn't change the rest of it.   

2 hours ago, jaggysnake57 said:

id say welcome to the real world, your deluding yourself if you think there the only company squashing small busisness......

i can not stand this guy, he is such a salty, egotistical, condescending prick. your whole industry is dying, deal with it its not the first and it wont be the last. its called progression.

Absolutely LOL! I can see how you can get this impression if you watched only a video or two of his but if you have followed him for a while(his "philosophy"/ethics videos) you'd know he is the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of what you guys wrote. 

"your whole industry is dying", " its called progression." I'm not sure if you understand the definition of the word "progression" but killing an industry on purpose by making your products unserviceable so you can profit the most, also resulting in inconvenience for the customers(can't repair their products or even at least save the data when their products is damaged) and making the products harder to recycle thus much less environmentally friendly... is NOT progression.

If by progression you mean the increasing amount of money in the pockets of the apple shareholders that this practice will result in, then sure, you can call it that(/sarcasm).

NO! It's art, it's colonialism and you'll never get it!

40 minutes ago, Progressor said:

Absolutely LOL! I can see how you can get this impression if you watched only a video or two of his but if you have followed him for a while(his "philosophy"/ethics videos) you'd know he is the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of what you guys wrote. 

"your whole industry is dying", " its called progression." I'm not sure if you understand the definition of the word "progression" but killing an industry on purpose by making your products unserviceable so you can profit the most, also resulting in inconvenience for the customers(can't repair their products or even at least save the data when their products is damaged) and making the products harder to recycle thus much less environmentally friendly... is NOT progression.

If by progression you mean the increasing amount of money in the pockets of the apple shareholders that this practice will result in, then sure, you can call it that(/sarcasm).

If he was wrong about what he talks about, he might come off as an ass... but he has good knowledge and shares it.  To me, that is the opposite of an asshole.

Sometimes you have to fight off your emotional first reaction to someone's demeanor in order to hear them clearly. 

2 hours ago, Kloaked said:

The wrong thing here is that bringing a product to the market is one thing,  but bringing to the market what people really need is another thing.

You can see how some pre-built configurations are ridiculous and are making fools out of their ignorant consumers. They bring things the people don't need just to make more profits.

I've seen a pre-built with an i5 6600k, with an Intel stock cooler and a not so great psu. They made people think they needed that k just to make them pay more and therefore use them. That's what corporations mainly do these days, and that's what is criticized: they don't make products for the people best interests.

Someone made a JDownloader .dlc file with all his videos. 

The link in the top 2 comment on this reedit thread.

If some one need to download his vid, go check it out!

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/4qpo33/louis_rossmanns_channel_and_business_might_be/

Screen Shot 2016-07-01 at 9.20.57 PM.png

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is.