Louis Rossmann going up against Apple starting tomorrow

UPDATE

So it is confirmed, the problem is him showing apple schematics in his videos.

At the moment he is deciding how to proceed by either fighting against these demands or by using Microsoft Paint to draw the schematics himself, or something else.

It is still unsure if he will have to remove/edit previous videos, but it seems like his channel will not be taken down as of now.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

28 minutes ago, Enderman said:

UPDATE

So it is confirmed, the problem is him showing apple schematics in his videos.

At the moment he is deciding how to proceed by either fighting against these demands or by using Microsoft Paint to draw the schematics himself, or something else.

It is still unsure if he will have to remove/edit previous videos, but it seems like his channel will not be taken down as of now.

He might as well show the entire internet all his passwords and bank account numbers.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

4 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

He might as well show the entire internet all his passwords and bank account numbers.

uh

why?

what are you talking about?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

17 minutes ago, Enderman said:

uh

why?

what are you talking about?

He got Apple's attention, cause he's showing way too much info. It's basically like spilling all the secrets out. Thus why I mentioned he might as well just reveal his passwords and bank account. And you bet some person working with Apple saw the videos and reported it. If he was to show how to fix apple products without the schematics, Apple won't even bother going after him.

There was a LTT video where Linus was I think it was Logitech, and wondered into a room. The engineer immediately erased what's on the whiteboard and asked Linus, did he see anything.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

6 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

He got Apple's attention, cause he's showing way too much info. It's basically like spilling all the secrets out. Thus why I mentioned he might as well just reveal his passwords and bank account. And you bet some person working with Apple saw the videos and reported it. If he was to show how to fix apple products without the schematics, Apple won't even bother going after him.

There was a LTT video where Linus was I think it was Logitech, and wondered into a room. The engineer immediately erased what's on the whiteboard and asked Linus, did he see anything.

He's just educating people on how to repair stuff

The entire point is that schematics aren't supposed to be secret or hidden from consumers because that makes things nearly impossible to repair.

This has nothing to do with passwords or bank account info

A circuit schematic is not someone's personal information, you don't seem to understand that.

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Enderman said:

He's just educating people on how to repair stuff

The entire point is that schematics aren't supposed to be secret or hidden from consumers because that makes things nearly impossible to repair.

This has nothing to do with passwords or bank account info

A circuit schematic is not someone's personal information, you don't seem to understand that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ECE/comments/30qehn/copyright_of_schematics/

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

8 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

circuit schematics are not covered by copyright laws.

exactly

and he's not copying anything either, he's just showing them

people can look them up themselves if they want to too

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, Enderman said:

exactly

and he's not copying anything either, he's just showing them

people can look them up themselves if they want to too

So what you're saying is, if you were to design a game controller and because circuit schematic are not covered by copyright laws. Then what you have released to the public on the schematic, others can basically just download your schematic and start making their own game controllers, with your design, that is the idea you came up with. Then mass produce it and sell it for profit, and you will be okay with it.

Circuit schematic of a product not cover by copyright laws, okay fine. But I doubt the idea of what's goings into that product isn't protected by copyright laws.  If you did design a game controller, then it would have to be 2 version of the schematic, a fully detail one for internal use and a simplified version without the full details released to the public for repair purposes.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

3 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

So what you're saying is, if you were to design a game controller and because circuit schematic are not covered by copyright laws. Then what you have released to the public on the schematic, others can basically just download your schematic and start making their own game controllers, with your design, that is the idea you came up with. Then mass produce it and sell it for profit, and you will be okay with it.

Circuit schematic of a product not cover by copyright laws, okay fine. But I doubt the idea of what's goings into that product isn't protected by copyright laws.  If you did design a game controller, then it would have to be 2 version of the schematic, a fully detail one for internal use and a simplified version without the full details released to the public for repair purposes.

you think louis is using the schematics to build his own macbooks? or anyone else for that matter?

lol

I don't think you understand how electronic repair is done

using a schematic to fix a product is different from using a schematic to copy a product

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

you think louis is using the schematics to build his own macbooks? or anyone else for that matter?

lol

using a schematic to fix a product is different from using a schematic to copy a product

The concern is that they're "out there" though.  No company wants their schematics released to the world, and while it's not like he's hacked the head office and stolen them (ie, they are already out there, that's not his fault) he is making it easier to get/see them, so I can see Apple being peeved at that.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The concern is that they're "out there" though.  No company wants their schematics released to the world, and while it's not like he's hacked the head office and stolen them (ie, they are already out there, that's not his fault) he is making it easier to get/see them, so I can see Apple being peeved at that.

thats true, and that's what the right to repair bill is for

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

lol

I know he's not using that to make macbooks, just for repairs.

But others might see it and actually go and try make one.

lol

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

2 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

lol

and you think that its just easy to take several hundred schematics and put them all together and manufacture the parts and make your own macbook, right?

do you understand the billions of dollars of machines required to actually build this stuff?

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

lol

That is the other issue... a random person getting the schematics and CAD drawings might help them repair their own macbook... a competing company worth billions with manufacturing and engineering teams could completely rip them off.  Two very different scales of outcome! :)  Of course, there's supposed to be patents and whatnot to protect against things like that, but still...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

and you think that its just easy to take several hundred schematics and put them all together and manufacture the parts and make your own macbook, right?

do you understand the billions of dollars of machines required to actually build this stuff?

A single person, no. xD

But a competitor, like Microsoft, then Yes.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

7 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

A single person, no. xD

But a competitor, like Microsoft, then Yes.

and why exactly would microsoft copy a macbook?? so that they can get sued?

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

and why exactly would microsoft copy a macbook?? so that they can get sued?

For LOLS

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

For LOLS

Yeah let's be honest, that'd be about it.  It wouldn't likely happen in real life, but that doesn't stop companies like Apple feeling uneasy about the info getting out there.

17 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah let's be honest, that'd be about it.  It wouldn't likely happen in real life, but that doesn't stop companies like Apple feeling uneasy about the info getting out there.

We as consumer should have the right to repair out own products, but at the same time companies who design those products should have the right to protect their intellectual property.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!