Microsoft confirms that July 29th is the last day for Windows 10 free upgrade - 119$ after that.

GoodBytes

Microsoft announces that the last day for the free upgrade offer is indeed July 29th, with so far no extension in sight from the company to extend the free offer.

Their is yet any announcement if there will be a paid upgrade offer for Windows 7/8 who didn't upgrade in time to Windows 10. So, for all we know, so far, you have to go and buy a full license of Windows 10 if you don't upgrade in time.

Price of Windows 10 obviously differ between regions, especially that in som region like in Europe taxes are included in the price, but assuming you go at your local big box electronic store, Windows 10 Home is $119 U.S, and $170 for the Pro edition. If you go with System Builder OEM license (this means once installed it will locked to the motherboard, and non transferable) from your favorite computer store it will cost $99 for Home, and $140 for the Pro edition

And, today, we want to remind you that if you haven’t taken advantage of the free upgrade offer, now is the time. The free upgrade offer to Windows 10 was a first for Microsoft, helping people upgrade faster than ever before. And time is running out. The free upgrade offer will end on July 29 and we want to make sure you don’t miss out. After July 29th, you’ll be able to continue to get Windows 10 on a new device, or purchase a full version of Windows 10 Home for $119.

This was said at Microsoft Blog post announcing that Windows 10 is currently running on 300 million computers.

We’re seeing people at home, at schools, at small businesses, at large companies, and other organizations adopt Windows 10 faster than ever, and use Windows 10 more than ever before. A few examples:

• Over 63 billion minutes were spent on Microsoft Edge in March alone, with 50% growth in minutes since the last quarter. Exclusively available on Windows 10, Microsoft Edge is our modern browser for helping you get things done.
  • Cortana, the personal digital assistant in Windows 10, has helped answer over 6 billion questions since launch.
  • People are playing games on Windows 10 more than ever before, with over 9 billion hours of gameplay on Windows 10 since launch.
  • Apps that come with Windows 10, including Photos, Groove Music, and Movies & TV are seeing millions of active users each month, including more than 144 million people using Photos.
  • And, the Windows Store continues to grow daily with new Universal Windows Platform apps like Facebook, Instagram, and Facebook Messenger; updated UWP apps from Vine, Hulu, Netflix and Twitter; and popular PC games including Rise of the Tomb Raider and Quantum Break.

Source: https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/05/05/windows-10-now-on-300-million-active-devices-free-upgrade-offer-to-end-soon/

Now, it may have an upgrade license in the future, or Microsoft might still extend a bit the Windows 10 free upgrade offer if people ask for it, in my opinion.

But so far, it is what it is.

For those who tried Windows 10 previously and switched back to older Windows because they didn't like it, I say give it another try a few days before the Anniversary Update of Windows 10 is released (which will be (expected) July 29th, the last day of Windows 10 free upgrade offer), and wait for the update comes out. I am suggest this and not on the last day, as you can be sure Microsoft servers would be burning on fire, and Ethernet cable melt as it is always the case when a new Windows comes out, let alone a Service Pack. Anyway, my point is that this update is much better.

If you plan to upgrade here are my recommendations:

1.  Backup your stuff first, because you never know.
  2. If you had previously had a malware or virus on your system, despite removed, as Anti-virus, and anti-malware software only removes the infection, it doesn't repair potentially modified system files, which might cause a problem during the upgrade process (same for registry changes). So you are looking at a clean install right there.
  3. Make sure that ALL your drivers, and BIOS/UEFI are updated before starting the upgrade process.
  4. If you have any security software such as anti-virus, anti--malware, firewall, remove it. Even if you have Microsoft Security Essential under Windows 7, remove it (beside it will be built-in Windows 10 already).
  5. If you know that you have shitty drivers from a peripheral or hardware (like a printer, or some PCI/PCI-E card that you have, including dedicated sound card), just as precaution, remove the driver and hardware and plug it back in and re-install the driver after you upgraded to Windows 10. Crappy drivers are usually the cause for Windows 10 upgrade to get stuck, as they don't follow the documentation from Microsoft on how to make drivers properly. Hence why I also said to update ALL your drivers above, because some manufactures have fixed bugs or issues that was found to block the Windows 10 upgrade process.

Upgrade installation time varies based on how many programs you have (let alone large ones), system specification, USB flash drive speed (if you are using that method), or limited by disk speed, and how much data you have in the C:\ drive.

Upgrade to UEFI mode

If you come from Windows 7, and your system is actually fully UEFI ready, and you want Windows 10 to take advantage of that, then you are looking at a clean install of Windows 10, as you need to set your UEFI to be enabled, and not use compatibility mode where it emulates the old BIOS, and because that changes a bunch of things, this needs to be setup before any OS is installed, if not, it will just simply show something along the line of: "No Operating System installed", or a blank screen, despite having an OS installed. To do this, refer to your motherboard manual, but usually you want to disable Fast Boot to be able to boot from a USB flash drive or disk (if you have the option in the boot menu to pick the name of your disk drive or flash drive with "EFI" or "UEFI" in the name, you need to pick that one), disable CSM (Compatibility Support Module), and set UEFI mode to Enable, and not to "Legacy" or "Compatibility", of course names of these option can change and might be different, each motherboard is different. On your way make sure your SATA controller is set to AHCI mode if it wasn't (or RAID if you have one), and that, for Intel users at least, that XMP (eXtereme Memory Profile) profile for your RAM, is set correctly to the correct profile (usually Profile 1), if you have not overclock your RAM, to use it's full speed (some people has to manually enter the specs of their RAM, to adjust voltage to make it work, but ignoring those who need to do that, as this obviously doesn't apply to you, as the voltage would be incorrectly set). Keep in mind that a full system drive format would be needed if you do the switch. Once Windows 10 is installed and everything is good, return to the UEFI, and enable Fast Boot.

Keep in mind as well, that this big project right above (UEFI conversion if it was not set properly initially), is optional. It is only if you want Windows 10 to take advantage of UEFI. Most increase security, and faster boot up speed. If you use a multi-OS setup, expect for a very few Linux distros such as Ubuntu, they aren't UEFI ready, and so you don't want to do the switch.

I recommend reading more on it, before venturing in the switch. But it is much easier to do on a week-end when you have lots of free time, with a new drive or system that you are building (or one that you don't mind wiping completely).

If you are doing a clean install of Windows 10 and you want the upgrade offer. What you can do, if boot from the prepared flash drive or disk, click on "Custom install" in the Windows 10 setup, to do a clean install. Install Windows 10 normally. When asked for a Windows 10 product key, click on "I don't have one", or something along that line, and Windows 10 will start in trial mode.

Once in Windows 10 and everything setup, do Start > Settings > Update & Security > Activation, and from there you can enter your Windows 7/8 product key and it should activate fine. Once activated, restart the system, and you are now ready to install your programs and games, and transfer your backuped data.

Hope this helps, for those who are interested in upgrading and have not done so yet, or you find this informative for personal knowledge.

General FAQ (will be updated)

Q: What edition of Windows 10 I'll get:

A: You'll get the same or higher editions depending on what you have

• If you have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate, you'll get Windows 10 Pro
  • If you have any lower editions of Windows 7 (Home Premium, Starter), you'll get Windows 10 Home
  • If you have Windows 8 (non-Pro) you'll get Windows 10 Home
  • If you have Windows 8 Pro you'll get Windows 10 Pro

Q: Does Windows 10 have the ability to play DVD movies?

A: Not anymore, at least not built-in.

If you have Media Center installed in your Windows 7 and 8 system, when you upgrade, you'll get Windows 10 DVD Player free. Please note that if you do a clean install at any time of Windows 10, you'll loose the free DVD Player app. You'll need to either install back the previous version of Windows and re-upgrade to Windows 10, or buy it (for up to 10 PCs using the same account), from the Windows 10 Store for $14.99. The DVD player both free or paying is only a very basic software, but it sure beats $50+ for the other paid alternatives. As for free alternatives you do have one! It is using the famous VLC. So you can use that no problem to play your DVD movies.

Q: Is Media Center still there?

A: There is no more Media Center. It has been discontinued back in Windows 8 days, and now removed.

Q: If I do a clean install of Windows 10, can I use my Windows 7/8 product key?

A: Yes you can. During the setup it will ask you for a Windows 10 product key, at this stage, click on the "I don't have one", and Windows 10 will go under trial mode. Inside Windows 10, once you install all your drivers and Windows updates, go to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Activation, and enter your Windows 7/8 product key, and it should theoretically work.

Q: If I have Windows 10 which I got as free upgrade, can I do a clean re-install later on, where is my Windows 10 product key?

A: Yes. Simply clean install, and at the screen of Windows 10 setup asking you for a product key, click on "I don't have one", and in Windows 10, check for Windows update, by that time, Windows 10 will automatically activate. How come? When you upgrade via the free upgrade offer, your Windows 10 product key is generated based from your hardware config (mostly motherboard), and is stored on Microsoft activation servers. So Windows 10 will detect that the same hardware configuration was previously activated, and it will activate itself.

Q: Can I downgrade back to Windows 7/8 if I don't like Windows 10?

A: Yes. You have 30 days before Windows 10 deletes the recovery folder (Windows.OLD) to get back to your previous Windows. To do so, simply go to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery, and the option to roll back to Windows 7/8 will be there.

Thanks for the notice!

[CPU: 4.7ghz I5 6600k] [MBAsus Z170 Pro G] [RAM: G.Skill 2400 16GB(2x8)]

[GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 970] [PSU: XFX Pro 850W] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 500GB WD HDD / 128GB SanDisk SSD ] [Case: DeepCool Tessaract]

[Keyboard: AZIO MGK1] [Mouse: Logitech G303] [Monitor: 2 x Acer 23" 1080p IPS]

I am torn between Upgrading to w10 on my desktop or just keep w7. Hope I can manage to decide before July 29th.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

I wonder if the adoption rate would be significantly different if they offered Windows 10 as a $1 upgrade last year instead of free. Maybe it would have made more people pull the trigger instead of putting it off.

windows 10 for $35 over on reddit microsoftsoftwareswap

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Mihle Gaming said:

I am torn between Upgrading to w10 on my desktop or just keep w7. Hope I can manage to decide before July 29th.

Once you upgrade to Windows 10, you have 30 days to revert back to Windows 7. After that it will delete the recovery files (Windows.OLD).

To return back to Windows 7, simply go to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery, and the option will be there.

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Once you upgrade to Windows 10, you have 30 days to revert back to Windows 7. After that it will delete the recovery files (Windows.OLD).

To return back to Windows 7, simply go to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery, and the option will be there.

True but I've seen enough posts about this going horribly wrong to trust it 100%

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

if he upgrades instead of clean installing widows 10 then i can pretty much guarantee he wont like it because of all the issues he will have

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Windows has always been free, has it not? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

captainjacksparrow.jpg

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Interesting news anyway.  I kind of expected them to extend it in hopes of getting more adopters, but maybe they thought that would make them look weak or desperate or something :P

I'm sure all the win 7 users will be happy that they can finally live in peace and not be nagged about the free update anymore.  Now it will nag you to buy xD

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

27 minutes ago, ModuleLFS said:

I can imagine those people who are still debating with themselves if they should 10 or not. TICK TOCK.

Not really. I'll upgrade to w10, get a valid key and then revert to w7 if I don't like it.

does w7 pro upgrade to w10 pro? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

20 minutes ago, Mihle Gaming said:

Just upgrade and revert. That way, you have both licenses.

And to keep both options available, make sure you have installation media for both OS.

22 minutes ago, ModuleLFS said:

I can imagine those people who are still debating with themselves if they should 10 or not. TICK TOCK.

I'm guessing that demographic is pretty small. There is still 61% of the potential userbase not upgraded yet, and it has been 9 months since the release of Windows 10.

And also, people can do this:

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Not really. I'll upgrade to w10, get a valid key and then revert to w7 if I don't like it.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

13 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

The problem isnt that I havent tried w10, because my laptop is w10. The thing is that I love w7, but some things are better in w10 while some is not.

the reason why my laptop is w10 is because it had w8.1, and its not hard to be better than w8.1.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

10 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

does w7 pro upgrade to w10 pro? 

Correct.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Correct.

Cool, so then I have three w10 pro licenses and a w10 education upgrade license. I also need to remember to upgrade my moms laptop and get another w10 license.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Maybe someone can answer two questions I got. 

1) can I use my Windows 7 key to activate Windows 10? I have upgraded. 

2) Where can I see my key? I got multiple computers and don't know which one has which key. Kind of a problem now that I am going to reinstall it (when I upgrade my computer). 

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Maybe someone can answer two questions I got. 

1) can I use my Windows 7 key to activate Windows 10? I have upgraded. 

2) Where can I see my key? I got multiple computers and don't know which one has which key. Kind of a problem now that I am going to reinstall it (when I upgrade my computer). 

1) i think so, as they updated their key activation in an update

2) Use this to find the keys:https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

3 minutes ago, asim1999 said:

1) i think so, as they updated their key activation in an update

2) Use this to find the keys:https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Well this is bad. The key it spits out does not match any of the Windows 7 or 8 keys I have, and it says it's the same key for both my desktop and laptop (VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T).

A quick Google search reveals that it is a generic key. Apparently Microsoft gives (all or maybe just some?) people who upgraded a generic key, marks their systems in their database and then checks the unique system identifier instead of their serial key.

So does that mean I am fucked? I won't be able to upgrade my PC because then it will not match Microsoft's database? If that's the case then thanks for the "free" upgrade Microsoft. Guess I'll have to go back to Windows 7 once I upgrade my PC.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

I was just able to use my old W7 key to install W10 when I reformatted post-update, iirc.

7 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Well this is bad. The key it spits out does not match any of the Windows 7 or 8 keys I have, and it says it's the same key for both my desktop and laptop (VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T).

A quick Google search reveals that it is a generic key. Apparently Microsoft gives (all or maybe just some?) people who upgraded a generic key, marks their systems in their database and then checks the unique system identifier instead of their serial key.

So does that mean I am fucked? I won't be able to upgrade my PC because then it will not match Microsoft's database? If that's the case then thanks for the "free" upgrade Microsoft. Guess I'll have to go back to Windows 7 once I upgrade my PC.

You can change anything (beside motherboard) as long you are under Windows 10. If you are not (say you downgraded to Windows 7), then you can upgrade RAM, storage, and GPU just fine from my understanding. Beside that, you need to change your motherboard before the upgrade offers ends.

Well, would be good to use that free offer while it still lasts for sure, for those who didn't upgrade.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Just now, GoodBytes said:

You can change anything (beside motherboard) as long you are under Windows 10. If you are not, then you can upgrade RAM, storage, and GPU just fine from my understanding. Beside that, you need to change your motherboard before the upgrade offers ends.

I will be changing my motherboard (LGA1155 to LGA 2011-3).

So basically, it wasn't a real free upgrade. I upgraded from Windows 7 (or maybe 8) retail version and got an OEM version of Windows 10...