Microsoft confirms that July 29th is the last day for Windows 10 free upgrade - 119$ after that.

GoodBytes
On 5/8/2016 at 8:03 PM, GoodBytes said:

Yea, because it is on special. If Amazon decides to sell it at cost, or bellow cost, than this is their decision/problem.

Also, you are looking at OEM license, not retail license.

What is the difference between OEM and retail licenses?

I'm not SAV1OUR. I promise. | Number of successfully bricked phones: 1 Samsung Galaxy S5 | 01001001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01100001 01101110 00100000 01100101 01101100 01100001 01100010 01101111 01110010 01100001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01110010 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101110

8 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Yes you are right, probably that is why the OS is god awful at these tasks compared say Linux based OS and Windows.

I taught it was because they used old code/systems, but nope.

MacOS?

God awful?

giphy.gif

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 minute ago, EmeraldKiwi said:

OEM can only be used on one machine (gets tied to the PCs mobo), retail can be installed in many machines, but can be active only in one system at a time 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

13 minutes ago, EmeraldKiwi said:

OEM is a license for system builders. It is intended to be cheaper to help keep the price of the system down.

You have no 90-day (or whatever it was) free support to help you install Windows, and get started with Windows , you don't have the nice box, and basic manual, and you can't transfer your license to another system. It is locked to the first motherboard it is installed on. The exception, is that if the motherboard break, and you can't find the same one, Microsoft is willing to close its eyes and give you an override code to transfer the the license to another motherboard, but that is about it. So if you upgrade a computer for upgrading, then sorry, you need to buy a new license.

Retail you have teh full package and all that, and you can transfer your license

41 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

MacOS?

God awful?

Already talked about the issues a while back, while over the years it got a bit better, it is useless to point anything out, because Apple users just pull the:

"This is a feature", or "Your Mac is faulty", or "Too old buy a new Mac, that is why" (despite the system not even being a year old, and having 0 issue after installing Ubuntu and also Windows). I am not going to into that useless "discussion" again.

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Already talked about the issues a while back, while over the years it got a bit better, it is useless to point anything out, because Apple users just pull the:

"This is a feature", or "Your Mac is faulty", or "Too old buy a new Mac, that is why" (despite the system not even being a year old, and having 0 issue after installing Ubuntu and also Windows). I am not going to into that useless "discussion" again.

You still didn't respond to @LAwLzs question.

what is it awful at? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

9 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

You still didn't respond to @LAwLzs question.

what is it awful at? 

I did

18 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

5 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

You did not. List a task that it is "God awful" at. 

Your @zMeul is showing :P 

4 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

You did not. List a task that it is "God awful" at. 

Your @zMeul is showing :P 

19 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Those while big, isn't what I am referring. I am talking about device management, scheduler, kernel, memory management, deadlock avoidance, etc.

6 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

And then @LAwLz refuted your point with a well thought-out essay and you responded with something subjective with no substance:

"Yes you are right, probably that is why the OS is god awful at these tasks compared say Linux based OS and Windows.

I taught it was because they used old code/systems, but nope."

So answer, HOW is it god awful at these tasks in comparison to Linux or Windows?

6 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

As mentioned, was already discussed...

With all due respect, you need to be more explicit in this; as far as others see, you are merely dancing around the matter.

@LAwLz had asked you a question, and that question was never properly answered. So let me repeat:

OSX is god awful at what tasks, exactly?

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

I've been trying to update my old laptop since last July and it still stuck on W8.1...(downloads the upgrade but keeps restarting)

Forums have failed to help and MS Support is utter poo poo. At this point I will end up having to pay to upgrade (I obviously won't and stick with 8 on that computer). I wonder how many others that have tried to upgrade are stuck on the old OS?

Just putting that bit out there and contributing to the topic :3

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

3 minutes ago, GeekJump said:

I've been trying to update my old laptop since last July and it still stuck on W8.1...(downloads the upgrade but keeps restarting)

Forums have failed to help and MS Support is utter poo poo. At this point I will end up having to pay to upgrade (I obviously won't and stick with 8 on that computer). I wonder how many others that have tried to upgrade are stuck on the old OS?

Yea MS support, is only for basic problems, for people that aren't tech literarily, I mean the people behind the phone/chat are no experts, and just guide you or try and help you from what the more advance help doc says to do on their side.

Sorry to hear that you have this problem. One thing I would do, but this is juts me personally, I would just try and clear install Windows 8.1, and upgrade to Windows 10 via the Media Creation Tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10). Sorry if you tried that already, I don't know what was proposed to you.

31 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Yea MS support, is only for basic problems, for people that aren't tech literarily, I mean the people behind the phone/chat are no experts, and just guide you or try and help you from what the more advance help doc says to do on their side.

Sorry to hear that you have this problem. One thing I would do, but this is juts me personally, I would just try and clear install Windows 8.1, and upgrade to Windows 10 via the Media Creation Tool (https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10). Sorry if you tried that already, I don't know what was proposed to you.

That was going to be my final try. This laptop is beat  to crap (4 years of rough college life) and I pronounced it "terminally ill" back in 2014. But the shit keeps kicking lol

It was originally running Win7 but after a failing HDD and spare Win8 upgrade lying around I put Win8 on it. That was only 2-3 months before the free 10 update starting rolling out. I'm lazy and didn't want to clean install but at this point that might be my only solution - I have until end of July to stop procrastinating :P

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

4 hours ago, GeekJump said:

Ever since the update that allows you to use win 7 and 8 keys to activate 10, you don't need to upgrade.  You can just install 10 directly with you existing key! :) 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.