Microsoft confirms that July 29th is the last day for Windows 10 free upgrade - 119$ after that.

GoodBytes

Well whatever it was, I'm sure it was honestly less than it's worth.  As much as we all hate to pay for it, I mean, when you consider how much time you spend on it and the importance, they could probably charge a lot more without being unfair.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Sors said:

Not true, Windows was around $60 before.

No. The w8 upgrade was $40 for an upgrade for the first year (w10 is free). The w8 upgrade disc was $70. An actual w8 license was $120 for the regular edition and $200 for pro. W7 was basically the same.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

7 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

No. The w8 upgrade was $40 for an upgrade for the first year (w10 is free). The w8 upgrade disc was $70. An actual w8 license was $120 for the regular edition and $200 for pro. W7 was basically the same.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8

Yes, but with win 10 even the OEM version is being sold for more than $100.

If there is a reduction in that price I would be fine with the cost, but I see the OEM version costing pretty much the same than the regular version, and that is difficult to accept.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

12 minutes ago, Sors said:

Yes, but with win 10 even the OEM version is being sold for more than $100.

If there is a reduction in that price I would be fine with the cost, but I see the OEM version costing pretty much the same than the regular version, and that is difficult to accept.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/12/3492886/windows-8-OEM-pricing-hardware-pre-order

http://venturebeat.com/2015/05/30/windows-10-and-windows-10-pro-pricing-leaked-by-newegg-com/

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

To people who have upgraded, does your computer files remain intact after upgrading to W10 (from 8.1). I am interested in upgrading, but has so far waited to let MS fix the inevitable issues that comes with the launch of a new OS.

And yes, I am doing regular backups of my computer no matter what

31 minutes ago, AxelRantila said:

To people who have upgraded, does your computer files remain intact after upgrading to W10 (from 8.1). I am interested in upgrading, but has so far waited to let MS fix the inevitable issues that comes with the launch of a new OS.

Everything remains intact. Some program might disappear. Windows setup will remove any software that Microsoft sees that might cause a problem. So, you might need to re-install some. I have not heard any games that needed to be re-installed.

12 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Everything remains intact. Some program might disappear. Windows setup will remove any software that Microsoft sees that might cause a problem. So, you might need to re-install some. I have not heard any games that needed to be re-installed.

What kind of software has been reported to be removed. Just so that I am ready in case it happens 

10 minutes ago, AxelRantila said:

What kind of software has been reported to be removed. Just so that I am ready in case it happens 

Speccy and CPU-Z are 2 popular ones that have been removed. Many Anti-virus as well, and other security software (but I suggest you follow the steps I mentioned in my original post, where you remove any security software before hand).

You can re-install any of the removed software back once in Windows 10, or might need to get a newer version of the software.

I find it ridiculous that all of Microsoft's OSes aren't already free. Everyone always harps on about how Apple overcharges for literally everything, and while normally, I would agree with you, their OSes are all free as long as you own an Apple computer. Microsoft has so many other sources of income, such as the Xbox, other companies paying royalties in order to include Windows with their computers, Surface tablets, not to mention Microsoft Office... I think Microsoft could definitely afford to let people have Windows for free as long as you already have a computer that runs Windows.

I will most likely not respond to you in a thread unless you quote me.

$500 PC | $800 PC | $1000 PC | $1200 PC | $1500 PC | $2000 PC | $2500 PC | $3000 PC | $4000 PC

Spoiler

Damnit Carl (My portable POS):

CPU: Core i7-6700HQ

Motherboard: Toshiba L55-C5392 Mobo

RAM: 8GB DDR3 (even though I have Skylake)

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 530

Case: Toshiba L55-C5392 Case

Storage: 525 GB Crucial MX300 SSD

PSU: Whatever power jack comes with it

Display: Some 1366 x 768 garbage + an OK 1080p monitor

Cooling: Not enough + an external laptop tray

Keyboard: The included one

Mouse: $4 Lenovo 3D Optical Mouse (not as bad as you (rightly) assumed)

Sound: The Skullcandy branding right under the power button should clue you in

Operating System: Windows 10 Home

PCPartPicker URL: pcpartpicker.com/i-wish-i-had-enough-money-for-a-desktop-my-laptop-is-so-sh*t-its-not-even-on-portablepicker

15 minutes ago, LordMastodon said:

I find it ridiculous that all of Microsoft's OSes aren't already free. Everyone always harps on about how Apple overcharges for literally everything, and while normally, I would agree with you, their OSes are all free as long as you own an Apple computer. Microsoft has so many other sources of income, such as the Xbox, other companies paying royalties in order to include Windows with their computers, Surface tablets, not to mention Microsoft Office... I think Microsoft could definitely afford to let people have Windows for free as long as you already have a computer that runs Windows.

It is free, because the price of the OS (and probably the following version as well), is in the price of the computer.Also, Apple OS cost SIGNIFICANTLY less than what it cost Microsoft, because the only large part that Apple does, is the Shell (the GUI that you see and use), that is like about 10% of what OS is, the rest they take open source stuff, so most of the work is done for them.

Windows in the other hand, it is all done by the company, and back-end is the most demanding thing, and Microsoft expertise, and always main focus. That is why MacOS has the pretty super optimized GUI, while Windows it is more utilitarian, but not to the point of Linux GUI based interfaces, just more compared to MacOS.

The only time you see Microsoft making Windows for free, is if it return sufficient money to pay off Windows. In other words, people has to use and buy apps in the Windows Store, they need use their services, like Grove Music subscription, use Bing/Cortana, pay extra storage on OneDrive, or use Office, etc.

For example, Google makes several BILLIONS out of its app store on Android. So, it pays the OS development. Not to mention that people join part of the Google ecosystem, which is all about tracking you, getting to know you specifically and not generally, and they sell that information to others. That is their business model, which is doing great just looking at Chrome market share, which is the largest of any web browser, more than IE/Edge.

21 minutes ago, LordMastodon said:

. Everyone always harps on about how Apple overcharges for literally everything, and while normally, I would agree with you, their OSes are all free as long as you own an Apple computer.

Apple is charging you for the OS, it is baked into the price of the computer lol.

On 5/5/2016 at 8:48 AM, GoodBytes said:

-snip-

windows 10 was shit in the first place.

The only reason we switched was because it was free, and its the latest and greatest.

If this happens it will lose pretty much all intrest from me, and i will even downgrade back to windows 7 if i have to.

4 minutes ago, josephaltareb said:

windows 10 was shit in the first place.

The only reason we switched was because it was free, and its the latest and greatest.

If this happens it will lose pretty much all intrest from me, and i will even downgrade back to windows 7 if i have to.

Well that is your opinion, and it works great for the majority of people and businesses (and they have to pay).

If you want to downgrade to Windows 7, than do so, why use something you don't like?

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Well that is your opinion, and it works great for the majority of people and businesses (and they have to pay).

im sure everyone looking at this thread has and sees other peoples opinions.

But have you seen the abnormal amount of updates that screws us over (primarily for gamers, which i cant complain because microsoft has to ease everything for everyone unlike apple.)

2 minutes ago, Mantayd17 said:

Unless there is some kind of sorcery that nullifies the upgrade license if it detects a downgrade...

9MOyQ.gif

I think it's a bit odd that even with the conversion rate they have for upgrades they still aren't ready to go free. We can clearly see Satya Nadella wanted to move their focus to Azure and their cloud services but if they still need to sell it for me it basically means the Windows Store just isn't doing as well as they wanted and Nadella is still not in the clear to his overall scheme.

I just don't think he's gonna be able to make much out of the consumer side, we can clearly see it's on the way out for desktops and laptops and moving towards tablets and mobiles and they just aren't doing enough to put a dent on Google and Apple.

I'd be interested to see if they double down or take some other sort of decision to get to those Windows Store targets but at the price point they're talking about they're not gonna be doing anything to convert the, albeit few but still significant, number of people not on 10 yet.

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 hours ago, AxelRantila said:

i dont recomment an upgrade.

i had to reinstall after 2-3 months because a lot was fucked up, like search didnt work at all and explorer kept crashing for unknown reasons.

to be fair i was an "early adopter" and that stuff might be fixed now.

windows 10 still has a bunch of bugs, like linus mentioned in a couple of WAN shows, and weird features, like 2 different locations for settings.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

It is free, because the price of the OS (and probably the following version as well), is in the price of the computer.Also, Apple OS cost SIGNIFICANTLY less than what it cost Microsoft, because the only large part that Apple does, is the Shell (the GUI that you see and use), that is like about 10% of what OS is, the rest they take open source stuff, so most of the work is done for them.

Ehh... Where did you get that info from? It is completely false. Apple has done much more than just the shell for OS X. A lot of the open source components of OS X were developed by Apple. For example XNU and WebKit might be open source, but they are developed by Apple. All the (very important) closed source parts of OS X like Cocoa, Core Graphics, Bonjour and Quartz compositor are also developed by Apple. At this point it's more accurate to describe OS X as closed source with open source components, rather than the other way around.

2 hours ago, apm said:

i dont recomment an upgrade.

i had to reinstall after 2-3 months because a lot was fucked up, like search didnt work at all and explorer kept crashing for unknown reasons.

to be fair i was an "early adopter" and that stuff might be fixed now.

windows 10 still has a bunch of bugs, like linus mentioned in a couple of WAN shows, and weird features, like 2 different locations for settings.

Yea, Windows 10 was buggy early on. Heck it was awful even on Surface line products... you would think that Microsoft would prioritize that, but nope.

But Windows 10 has come a long way very shortly after.

As Windows 10 is free, I would upgrade about 1-2 week before the offer ends, to not be stuck with heavy servers, and wait for Windows 10 Anniversary Update, as an Insider to that build, Windows 10 is a lot nicer. And I can compare easily as at work my system is on Windows 10 official build. This big update really refines and polishes a lot of things. So when that update comes out (expected to be July 29th), try it. If it all is good, great! If not, make sure your BIOS/UEFI is fully updated, and drivers, and if that doesn't help, well you are still in your 30 days period to revert back to your previous version of Windows, and you can wait out for the next release of Windows 10, as you are registered to the free upgrade (as long as you don't change your motherboard until then.. if not, then get a spare HDD/SSD or make a second partition, and install Windows 10 as trial mode, and see if it got better, if it did, go buy it if you want, else install Windows 7/8)

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Ehh... Where did you get that info from? It is completely false. Apple has done much more than just the shell for OS X. A lot of the open source components of OS X were developed by Apple. For example XNU and WebKit might be open source, but they are developed by Apple. All the (very important) closed source parts of OS X like Cocoa, Core Graphics, Bonjour and Quartz compositor are also developed by Apple. At this point it's more accurate to describe OS X as closed source with open source components, rather than the other way around.

Those while big, isn't what I am referring. I am talking about device management, scheduler, kernel, memory management, deadlock avoidance, etc.

All those things that requires super cleaver thinking, and has massive number of corner cases (special cases).

I'll probably just build another system just for win 10. 

Win 10/8 + latest drivers have alot of wonky issues where there is a vram cap in dx 9 games. Ain't no way in hell are you ever getting me to go through that bullshit. 

Or maybe dual boot might be easier. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Those while big, isn't what I am referring. I am talking about device management, scheduler, kernel, memory management, deadlock avoidance, etc.

All those things that requires super cleaver thinking, and has massive number of corner cases (special cases).

By "device management" I assume you mean the driver model? Apple wrote their own. It's called I/O Kit. Same goes for things like audio (Core Audio).

Apple made their own kernel for OS X. It's called XNU. It is a combination of the Mach and BSD kernel. Just so that everyone is clear, it is significantly different from both the Mach and BSD kernel despite having borrowed code from both. Mach has not been in development for the last 22 years so all the Mach code that has been updated since has been Apple's doing. As for the BSD portion, Apple is actually a major contributor to the FreeBSD project, so a lot of the code shared between FreeBSD and OS X is actually from Apple. Not to mention that the kernel code from BSD had to be extensively modified (gluing together two different kernels is no easy task).

Scheduler and memory management are both parts of the kernel. To be more specific, they both originate from the Mach 3 portion of XNU. However, like I said before the original code was 22 years old. Apple has since then done significant work to add support for things like performance optimizations, multicore support and memory compression. If you want a Windows analogy, Windows 10's memory management and scheduler might originate from 86-DOS, but it has been a long road with lots of changes and updates along the way. At this point only some of the general structure is left from the original.

Yes you are right, probably that is why the OS is god awful at these tasks compared say Linux based OS and Windows.

I taught it was because they used old code/systems, but nope.

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Yes you are right, probably that is why the OS is god awful at these tasks compared say Linux based OS and Windows.

I taught it was because they used old code/systems, but nope.

God awful at what tasks?