Microsoft confirms that July 29th is the last day for Windows 10 free upgrade - 119$ after that.

GoodBytes
Just now, LAwLz said:

I will be changing my motherboard (LGA1155 to LGA 2011-3).

So basically, it wasn't a real free upgrade. I upgraded from Windows 7 (or maybe 8) retail version and got an OEM version of Windows 10...

I've heard some people have had luck (in fact, anyone who's mentioned it said it worked) calling microsoft and they just transfer the license for you if they think it was a repair or something

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I've heard some people have had luck (in fact, anyone who's mentioned it said it worked) calling microsoft and they just transfer the license for you if they think it was a repair or something

Yes, I read that too.

Worth a try.

6 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I will be changing my motherboard (LGA1155 to LGA 2011-3).

So basically, it wasn't a real free upgrade. I upgraded from Windows 7 (or maybe 8) retail version and got an OEM version of Windows 10...

Well the biggest problem, as per usual for Microsoft, is the lack of information.

Will Windows 7/8 key be used in Windows 10 and continue to work, if the system was upgraded to Windows 10 in the past in some way? We currently don't know.

11 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Thanks for the tips. I'll try that if it doesn't work with a normal install. I am kind of screwed as far as knowing which product key I used though, but that's my own fault for not writing it down (would be great if Microsoft didn't overwrite my CD key with a generic one though).

So July 29th will be the day torrent sites will see some more action in that regard.

Noted, thank you.

Ye ole' train

17 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

So July 29th will be the day torrent sites will see some more action in that regard.

Noted, thank you.

Nah. Those who won't upgrade, will never upgrade.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

12 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

Nah. Those who won't upgrade, will never upgrade.

That's probably part of why they are not extending the upgrade period.  Sure, they'd love more users I'm sure but they know that anyone who hasn't taken advantage by now has chosen not to do so because they're not interested.  More time isn't going to change any minds.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Maybe someone can answer two questions I got. 

1) can I use my Windows 7 key to activate Windows 10? I have upgraded. 

2) Where can I see my key? I got multiple computers and don't know which one has which key. Kind of a problem now that I am going to reinstall it (when I upgrade my computer). 

When I installed Windows 10 on a PC that previously had Windows 8.1 Pro installed by Dell it automatically activated the installation.

If you have already installed and activated Windows 10 on a computer then you do not need the activation key if you reinstall the OS. OEM built devices will skip the "Enter a key" screen entirely; if you are asked for a key during reinstallation click the (ridiculously small) "skip" button and the computer will activate the first time it has an internet connection.

The Windows licence robot continues to work for Windows 10, too (may be subject to regional laws; Germany's laws forced Microsoft to reactivate OEM licences tied to motherboards). Tell it you repaired the computer and it'll reactivate the licence.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

1 minute ago, Fetzie said:

When I installed Windows 10 on a PC that previously had Windows 8.1 Pro installed by Dell it automatically activated the installation.

If you have already installed and activated Windows 10 on a computer then you do not need the activation key if you reinstall the OS. OEM built devices will skip the "Enter a key" screen entirely; if you are asked for a key during reinstallation click the (ridiculously small) "skip" button and the computer will activate the first time it has an internet connection.

Yeah I know, but like I said in my other posts the problem is that I will be changing motherboard.

Microsoft tracks which motherboard you got, marks that particular one as "Windows 10 activated" on their servers and then assigns you a generic key when you upgrade. Right now it does not seem like the "free upgrade" is transferable.

Hmmm, lets see if they hold tru, or continue making it free.  I feel like this is just a marketing stunt. 

SHIT its no longer free, HURRY UP!!! /s

LOL i use linux on my laptop and it's free forever and it's much better then windows forever :D

Also i have hackintoshed that laptop. I have dual boot MAC and LINUX so i do not need windows at all.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

@LAwLz Do you still have your original Windows key handy?

Who asked the teacher when it won't be free? She would forget about it if he/she didn't ask!

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

18 minutes ago, Daring said:

@LAwLz Do you still have your original Windows key handy?

I got 4 Windows keys and I am not sure which one I used on my desktop, but yes I got all four of them written down.

9 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I got 4 Windows keys and I am not sure which one I used on my desktop, but yes I got all four of them written down.

Okay. If there are any for 7 or 8.1, Windows 10 should accept them.

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Their is yet any announcement if there will be a paid upgrade offer for Windows 7/8 who didn't upgrade in time to Windows 10

Lets be honest here, if someone still hasn't upgraded by July 29, it means that they didn't want to upgrade in the first place. So this changes nothing.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

12 minutes ago, Daring said:

Okay. If there are any for 7 or 8.1, Windows 10 should accept them.

W10 will only accept them IF that copy of w7/8.1 was upgraded to w10 (right?).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

W10 will only accept them IF that copy of w7/8.1 was upgraded to w10 (right?).

I would think so but I'm not sure.

So will the Windows 10 Upgrade Spam keep hounding me to upgrade for money, or will it just shut the hell up forever? Dare to dream...

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I would think so but I'm not sure.

Windows 10 accepts any Windows 7 or 8.1 key as of the November 2015 "threshold" update.

http://www.howtogeek.com/206329/how-to-find-your-lost-windows-or-office-product-keys/

That page has a couple of ways of getting at a Win7 key.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

7 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

Windows 10 accepts any Windows 7 or 8.1 key as of the November 2015 "threshold" update.

http://www.howtogeek.com/206329/how-to-find-your-lost-windows-or-office-product-keys/

That page has a couple of ways of getting at a Win7 key.

Can you do a first time w10 install with a w7/8.1 key (without ever having upgraded to w10)?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

7 minutes ago, Commander Llama said:

So will the Windows 10 Upgrade Spam keep hounding me to upgrade for money, or will it just shut the hell up forever? Dare to dream...

Microsoft says that currently it is planned that it will be disabled, and removed over times (I guess via a Windows Update).

However, this is not a definite plan.

So it could bug you to buy Windows 10 later on.

I guess it will all depends if Windows 10 upgrade slow down too much or not to reach Microsoft target.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Can you do a first time w10 install with a w7/8.1 key (without ever having upgraded to w10)?

From my understanding, yes.

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

For now, since that basically counts as an upgrade (though the original 7 or 8 license can still be used as such).  I assume that post Jul 29, existing keys that were upgraded will work, but this will no longer be offered.

8 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Microsoft says that currently it is planned that it will be disabled, and removed over times (I guess via a Windows Update).

However, this is not a definite plan.

So it could bug you to buy Windows 10 later on.

I guess it will all depends if Windows 10 upgrade slow down too much or not to reach Microsoft target.

All right then. I'm not on a hatred bandwagon or anything, got two machines in the house running Windows 10 Pro. But I just don't see the point in upgrading my 8.1 machine at all.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD