U.S. government declares hoverboards unsafe

CtW

Source: http://mashable.com/2016/02/19/hoverboards-unsafe/#86iOeCkshaqQ

GG hoverboard manufacturers

On Thursday, Mashable has learned, the CPSC sent out an official notice to retailers, manufacturers and importers with new hoverboard safety standards that, if not followed, could result in enforcement actions, including seizure of the devices as well as civil and criminal penalties. More directly, the CPSC is calling on hoverboard makers and sellers to voluntarily take hoverboards off the market until they can be certified as safe by UL, the independent testing firm widely used by U.S. electronics manufacturers. UL has not yet certified any hoverboards as safe. While the CPSC's action doesn't constitute a recall by itself, it will almost certainly prompt recalls from major retailers and manufacturers. The notice applies to all self-balancing scooters, including single-wheel devices. The CPSC "considers self-balancing scooters that do not meet the safety standards referenced above to be defective, and that they may present a substantial product hazard," reads the agency's notice. "Consumers risk serious injury or death if their self-balancing scooters ignite and burn. ... Should the staff encounter such products at import, we may seek detention and/or seizure. In addition, if we encounter such products domestically, we may seek a recall of these products."

In addition to UL's hoverboard tests, the CPSC conducted its own series of hoverboard tests. Those tests included voltage tests of the devices while in use, inspection of the hoverboard circuit boards and batteries, examination of previously burned hoverboards, dynamometer tests (to measure the force of the devices) and even CT scans of hoverboard batteries. No particular brand of hoverboard is shown in the testing video, and the agency declined to name which brands of hoverboards it tested.

Given the recent incidents involving fires and injuries I'm not surprised by this in the least.  

Well, they're dumb anyway...

(the hoverboards, not the Government. Actually, scratch that. The Government's dumb too.)

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

good

those things need to stop existing

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Dang it, this is why we can't have nice things China. >_> God damn explosive hover boards.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

Just now, SurvivorNVL said:

That means they'll be a collectors item.  TO THE STORE!

Haha, get to it. I'm sure you could make a profit if they are all banned for good. :P

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

Just now, LtRavens said:

Dang it, this is why we can't have nice things China. >_> God damn explosive hover boards.

Lowkey they were meant to explode and destroy the country...

Im afraid of stepping on one of those anyways. Might as well just accelerate randomly, and make me jump from it, before exploding automatically!

Groomlake Authority

Good.

Some idiot was driving one on the cycle road yesterday (while you are not allowed to drive your 'hoverboard' on public roads anyways..) and he was being very dangerous, AKA: he almost hit me because he suddenly stopped on the road

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Ha. Its a shame they are all made by the same Chinese manufacturer, just branded differently, otherwise it might be possible to find a quality one!

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

Click here to give a damn

are they really saying that something that doesnt even exist yet is unsafe?

oh wait, those stupid things that don't even hover. meh dont care.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

6 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

They're not even hoverboards.  They're just generic skateboards.

Well actually, they're segways without a stick. Skateboards you can at least do something on.

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

Took them long enough, where I live it's prohibited to sell one or even use it in public places.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

What hoverboards? I haven't ever seen one yet. 

And i declare guns unsafe! This is pure 'murica...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

7 hours ago, Kloaked said:

What hoverboards? I haven't ever seen one yet. 

They just need to invert things. Cool the entire skate park to -197deg (indoors probably), give the person a space suit and have a thin pools of liquid nitrogen to keep the board cool. Then you will never run out of hover time. Cost would probably be in the billions of dollars but who said it would be affordable.

I remember when this almost happened to Waveboards.

Spoiler

Werne-160-Skaten.JPG

Shortly after some company patent trolled them and released the lower quality Ripsticks, the patent was refused and waveboards were allowed to sell again but the damage was done. Most people think they are ripsticks despite the much higher quality construction.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

*Looks at amount of "hoverboards" sold, looks at incidences involving them, still doesn't see a problem*

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

On 19/02/2016 at 8:57 AM, valdyrgramr said:

That's why I said generic.

Not sure you understand the meaning of that word. A generic skateboard would look like this:

sakate.jpg.e7530bd0babd1163018549e882d93

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon