Have you guys ever "downgraded" on a electronic device from a high end product?

Profoundsoup

For example you have a phone that was top of the line $600 last year, you decided to sell it because you dont think It was worth the money and then you buy a less expensive but perfect your needs. So my question is have you ever had a top end product, realized it isnt worth the money to you and you trade/sell for something that isnt as fancy but better for your needs?

My friend downgraded from a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 to an iPhone 6+. 

I can't say I have, other than when I went from the Xbox original to the SNES. Super Mario World and Kirby Super Star are a blast. 

I used to be quite active here.

No - you usually lose money doing that.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

You all are going to love this. Its kinda the opposite. I had an HD7970 and sold it for more than the price of two 7950s. So I upgraded and made money.

I was thinking about doing that with my Blade, selling it and getting a MacBook, still want to but its not worth it at this point in my Blade's life.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Downgrade, ha I plan to obtain a computer so impractically overpowered one day it will run glorious 16K at 500+fps, such is the dream of the master race /s

Seriously though why would I downgrade, once you have nice things normal things feel bad

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Ex- 2600K @ 5.1Ghz > Currently owned 4690 locked to 3.9Ghz

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

You all are going to love this. Its kinda the opposite. I had an HD7970 and sold it for more than the price of two 7950s. So I upgraded and made money.

i have the same thing going on for my gtx 780 (6gb) someone offered me 800 for it since its a "rare" card 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

Electronics wise - went from a $600 phone to a $200 phone.

Life wise - went from a 6 cyn vehicle to a 4 cyn.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

my PS2 really doesnt like summer, so back when i still had a console set up, i'd usually swap to PS1 in the summer months.

Electronics wise - went from a $600 phone to a $200 phone.

Life wise - went from a 6 cyn vehicle to a 4 cyn.

What phone did you to and from?

I'm planning to downgrade from a smartphone to a cheap Nokia... for reliability...

i have the same thing going on for my gtx 780 (6gb) someone offered me 800 for it since its a "rare" card

Granted, the 7970 I sold was a amazing overclocker. Had to break out afterburner to get the clocks high enough for the card to be unstable at stock voltages. Yes, it handles CCC's sliders all the way up on stock voltages.

I downgraded my screen from 16:10 to 16:9 because 16:10 become rarer and far more expensive :(

I miss 16:10 and hate the prevalence of the 16:9 ratio. 1200p laptops were the best.

Got a HTC One (M7) when it launched, got it with contract, without contract the price is around $500-$800 dollars. After a year and half of use, it mysteriously developed a growing crack that eventually cover the entire screen, make it impossible to use. Did contact HTC about it, they say it's physical damage, and it would cost $200 to repair it. Went to look for a new phone, this time without a contract. Didn't know what to get, Samsung, One Plus One,  iPhone, etc, but all of them are way too expensive without contracts. Went to Asus site to see what they have and found the phone I wanted. The. Zenfone 2, $300 without contract, with really nice specs. What I missed from my HTC One is its front facing speacker and IR blaster so you can use it as a universal remote. The Zenfone 2 don't have both of those features, but this phone is being constantly updated with new stuffs, so that makes up for it.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I went from a Galaxy SIII to a BLU Studio Energy. It wasn't terrible, just Bluetooth issues really. Then the OnePlus X came out and I'm using that. However, I miss the giant battery of the BLU phone. 5000mAh!

CPU: i7 4770K  |  Corsair H80i  |  ASUS Z87-Pro  |  8GB Corsair 1866Mhz  |  GPU: MSI Gaming X RX 480 8GB  |  Corsair HX  750

I downgraded my screen from 16:10 to 16:9 because 16:10 become rarer and far more expensive :(

16:10 masterrace. (<3 hp w2448hc)

Granted, the 7970 I sold was a amazing overclocker. Had to break out afterburner to get the clocks high enough for the card to be unstable at stock voltages. Yes, it handles CCC's sliders all the way up on stock voltages.

Well, roughly what numbers?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

It was only temporary, but my Nexus 4 broke once (plugged in to charge and it started smoking) so I had to send it off the LG for repair. In the meantime I bought a HTC Desire C. The most budget of budget smartphones.

Never again. 3-4 weeks later when I got the Nexus 4 back I sold the Desire C for only about £10-15 less than I bought it so it wasn't too bad.

What phone did you to and from?

Blackberry Q10, paid roughly $650 after all accessories and everything, then 2 years later bought me an Asus Zenfone 2 and only spend $200 on that.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

Several years ago I wanted to be the first of my friends to have a smartphone (this was Pre iOS and Android) so I got an HTC Ozone with Windows Mobile on it. After a few months of using it I went back to my LG Voyager. It was just a simple side flip phone with an outside (horrible) touchscreen and a full QWERTY keyboard on the inside. Used that phone all the way up until I got a Motorola DroidX.