Have you guys ever "downgraded" on a electronic device from a high end product?

Profoundsoup

You all are going to love this. Its kinda the opposite. I had an HD7970 and sold it for more than the price of two 7950s. So I upgraded and made money.

I sold my 7950 in the prime of bit coin when AMD cards prices skyrockets. Made a healthy profit and bought a GTX 780. win.

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

Downgrading in terms of product range isn't downgrading if something actually suits your requirements better.

Buying sensibly is the key thing in all situations

Hey, nobody asked for a sensible and rational outlook!

Also QFT.

Yes i remember back in days i went from IPHONE 4S ( Sold for $140) to Cheap $50 android phone so i can do my final year android project.

Yea because a $50 budget Android vs a multi hundred dollar iPhone is a totally fair comparison. Using iPhone 5s btw

Intel Pentium G3258, EVGA 750ti SC http://specr.me/show/658

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fL93YJ
Surrounded by Mormons

I dont know if machine death would count but I Went from 32GB RAM and a GTX 590 in my old rig to 16GB RAM and HD 7950 to my next one?.

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD

Yea because a $50 budget Android vs a multi hundred dollar iPhone is a totally fair comparison. Using iPhone 5s btw

apple sucks

i hate apples

it boils my blood

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)

Electronics wise - went from a $600 phone to a $200 phone.

Life wise - went from a 6 cyn vehicle to a 4 cyn.

lol I just work with what I have in life, and tech im always going up

4 cyn for life

I've gone from a Centrino based HP 6730b to a HP Stream 11, twice, part because of weight and size, but later the battery in the 6730b completely died on me. Otherwise not really.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

No, I'd never even consider spending 600$ on a phone. I don't think it's worth it for ANY needs really, when there are far cheaper and perfectly capable alternatives that do pretty much everything just as well.

didn't happen with anything else really, but I suppose if someone gave me a mac pro for free I'd sell it and "downgrade" to a much faster and cheaper diy desktop.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Have just done 2 downgrades:

-Went from GTX 590 to GTX 550Ti. 590 died, and had the previous GPU (550Ti) as spare... Still running the 550Ti btw.

-Gone from Sony Xperia Z1 to Sony Xperia M2 Aqua within 2 - 3 months of purchasing (1,5 year-old second-hand) Z1. The battery life on Z1 was awful, and it was necessary to use the crash-prone "smart connect" app in order to use headphones at all. Got a second-hand M2 Aqua that was barely used, battery life is amazing, and "smart connect" isn't required for using headphones anymore. Just one minor complain is the 480p display on M2 Aqua as opposed to Z1's 1080p display, but other than that, totally worth it.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Went from my i5 2500k and CF'd 5850s to a Samsung A10 powered laptop. Died a little inside for a while.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

@Aniallation he had 970 then want to a 270x and now hes running a 6970 with a c2d

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Downgraded from my "gaming" desktop to a macbook air because I don't ever game and it suits my needs more (as an upcoming dev).

No regrats, not even a single letter

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

Downgraded from my "gaming" desktop to a macbook air because I don't ever game and it suits my needs more (as an upcoming dev).

No regrats, not even a single letter

dont lemme see ur face ever.

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)

I have, and honestly it felt great. So I have two stories for this one.

From Nexus to Moto G: Back in 2013 I decided it was the year to try stock Android, so as a early Christmas present I bought a Nexus 5 in November. After about a week of using it, I could tell that something wasn't quite right with the battery, so I bought a 8GB Moto G as a temporary phone. The Moto G showed up, and by that time the Nexus was a great phone, minus the leaking battery, so I returned it. Ironically the Moto G also broke(screen flashed then went black), but after I returned the Moto G, I bought another, although with 16GB this time since I knew it was more than a “temp phone”. After using the G I was fine with what it was, even though it was a downgrade to the Nexus, but even today I still use it.

Beast to budget PC: I used to be really into high-end hardware once I got into PC gaming, with most of my rigs costing $1000ish. I decided one day that my Q9550 + GTX 280 setup was just a little bit dated, so I basically sold it(kept the CPU and MB). I didn't have much money at the time, so I threw together a Athlon II X4 + Radeon HD 5770 rig, so that I could save up for my “dream machine”. One summer full of working in retail later and I had saved up for my dream rig, which was a Core i7 920(binned even), 12GB of RAM, 3x Radeon HD 5850 MW2 Editions, Corsair 800D, and a way overkill custom water cooling system. I used it for two weeks and I asked myself: “was it worth it?” and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't say yes. I looked at my budget PC and just thought of how it was much more fun to build, more fun to OC, and really just surprised with how good budget hardware is. So I sold my beast PC, only keeping the GPU's, and started getting more budget hardware just to tinker with(which this started me branching out from “just gaming”, and messing with things that most people dont do). Even now I would rather play on my sleeper PC which has a quad core FX 6100 and 750 ti, than my Facebook machine which has a 3770K and GTX 980.

Even now I would rather play on my sleeper PC which has a quad core FX 6100 and 750 ti, than my Facebook machine which has a 3770K and GTX 980.

Gaming with a 6100 and 750 Ti and using Facebook with a 3770K and a 980. Makes sense.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Dude. Get a life.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

I have downgraded from a MSI notebook to a mac.

Knowledge is power and power corrupts, So study hard and be evil.   

I had a 970 in a system and it took a dump and I grabbed a card I hand on hand to replace it and it was an ATI 3850 Pro HD and I never replaced the 970.

Nexus 6 to Moto X play but the battery man, so good.

H8er

Macbook finishes > plastic Dell > cheap aluminium HP > every other "Thin and light"

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350