Apple's Tim Cook declares the end of the PC

zMeul

It all depends on your point of view. Majority of computer users only use them for lightweight tasks such as web browsing (social media) and office. In that scenario iPad Pro, and tablets in general can and will slowly replace desktops and laptops for those users. Apple doesn't see enthusiasts or gamers as a market/customer base, and for heavy duty professionals they have different options from the iPad Pro to Macbook Pro to Mac Pro. Even in the far future mobile devices will replace even the professional and gaming desktops and laptops as they reach the sufficient power, but that convergence is still decades away. Cook's a bit off with his statement but there is a hint of truth in it.

So I have a no compromises attitude when it comes to pretty much everything.

How I see it is, we have a Scale.

Certain products fit in to a different spot on the scale.

Portability-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Performance

Phones--------------------------------Tablets------------------------------Convertables/ultrabooks-----------------------------Notebooks----------------------------PC

As the no compromises guy that I am. I can not bring my self to compromise on performance or portability. So I have a phone and a PC. I don't use a tablet or laptop.

how I see it is "Why would you buy a" Tablet "anymore? No really, why would you buy one?"... or really at all.

I considered buying a tablet once. It was going to get attached to my wall permanently plugged in, Running my groceries app. But then I realised why bother, I Can put the app on my phone (Which is pretty much always on me) then I can add things to my online shopping when I'm not in the kitchen.

I haven't quite figured out whether watches fit in this scale or whether there needs to be a separate wearables scale.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

but u cant do "real work" on IOS i cant speak for anything at ios7 but it was nearly impossible to do work on it

for some people a tablet is just what they need true

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Yeah right. It is so much better and faster to use a <10" touch screen to type, make and consume content. I don't know why Microsoft hasn't released a Visual Studio version for tablet and smartphones, it would be a joy to lay in bed all day and do your job. It doesn't matter that nothing would ever be done because all that matters is for it to be convenient. But then again, for people who only go to facebook and youtube, yeah, they can probably use an iPotato for that if Apple told them they don't need anything else.

Why would anyone use their phone or tablet if they are in the same room as their pc. Are people really that lazy. :/

Ohh.. End of the computer? How then Apple gonna make their devices without "forming" them on a PC?

This douchebag obviously never worked in a real world office.

Try to manage an HyperV host via iOS, god, even configuring an iOS device mail application to work properly with an exchange server is a nightmare.

For whoever cares about context:

1. PC = Personal Computer. Tim specifically includes notebooks and desktops.
  2. Tim was talking about a significant majority of consumers. Remember that PC sales have been stagnant or worse in the past decade. This is unlikely to change especially as mobile hardware continues to improve.
  3. Remember he is looking at a statistical majority. Casual gamers (candy crush, farmville, etc) fall into that statistical majority as well.
  4. No matter how we criticize them, they're making money, which means they are meeting the needs of quite a number of people. Our opinions (even if we disguise them as facts) don't represent anything except an opinion.

Kay, rant on.

source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/11984806/Apples-Tim-Cook-declares-the-end-of-the-PC-and-hints-at-new-medical-product.html

while you're reading the article, I'm gonna roll on the floor and laughing my ass off

---

the better question is: why would I buy a tablet (namely iPad Pro) when a PC can do it better?

tablets .. tablets aren't about portability, not even productivity, they are about convenience - and do you know what's funny? tablets from either Apple or Microsoft are backpedaling towards laptops (netbooks specifically) by adding physical keyboards

now, let's get back to the point of tablets vs PC

PC

• configurability
  • upgradability
  • storage capacity
  • connectivity
  • performance / $
  • versatility of use scenarios
tablet
  • portability
that's it!? surely Tim doesn't expect people to just drop all the benefits of PCs over a tablet

how about it Mr. Cook, put your money where your mouth is and stop manufacturing and selling iMacs - surely it would be a astonishing business decision .. NOT!

I dunno what the hell Apple's management is on, but they clearly lost their marbles

Surface Pro:

IS a PC

IS portable

IS configurable (you can choose different SKUs)

Has Storage Capacity

Has Connectivity (can use a Ethernet to USB converter...)

so Apple failed completely. Not even a single shit of what they said was true.

source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/11984806/Apples-Tim-Cook-declares-the-end-of-the-PC-and-hints-at-new-medical-product.html

while you're reading the article, I'm gonna roll on the floor and laughing my ass off

---

the better question is: why would I buy a tablet (namely iPad Pro) when a PC can do it better?

tablets .. tablets aren't about portability, not even productivity, they are about convenience - and do you know what's funny? tablets from either Apple or Microsoft are backpedaling towards laptops (netbooks specifically) by adding physical keyboards

now, let's get back to the point of tablets vs PC

PC

• configurability
  • upgradability
  • storage capacity
  • connectivity
  • performance / $
  • versatility of use scenarios
tablet
  • portability
that's it!? surely Tim doesn't expect people to just drop all the benefits of PCs over a tablet

how about it Mr. Cook, put your money where your mouth is and stop manufacturing and selling iMacs - surely it would be a astonishing business decision .. NOT!

I dunno what the hell Apple's management is on, but they clearly lost their marbles

It is the end of the PC for 90% of the consumer market. 

You and I aren't part of that obviously. But 90% of the people who go to a store to buy a computer, would be fine with just an iPad and a keyboard. $600 for a much better experience than one of the piece of shit plastic Dells or HPs for $300 that have an i3 or low end AMD CPU. 

i want to watch him render 4k video on an ipad. sorry but i don't think you will ever be able to replace the PC for professional work. also didn't we just have a report saying the PC hardware market was growing.  

He's right to certain extends.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

You all realize we, the PC gaming/building enthusiasts are the minority, right? Tim isn't referring to us and our PC usage. He's referring to everyday average users and usage. A lot of people could get by just fine with a Raspberry Pi running Linux. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

You all realize we, the PC gaming/building enthusiasts are the minority, right? Tim isn't referring to us and our PC usage. He's referring to everyday average users and usage. A lot of people could get by just fine with a Raspberry Pi running Linux.

You know people have been saying that for 10 years.

Microsoft said that with their Surface so I'm not surprised Apple says it again with their Surface Inferior.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

How long ago did you go to school? Seriously! They use Windows powered machines exclusively.

Not mine. We use Macs for most things. Only 3 computer labs on the whole campus are Windows-based.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

lol.

Guy has no clue, or does and is just trying to plug his companies product.

PC isn't going anywhere.

I was starting to write a long winded reply to this but...just LOL.

EDIT: for those saying we be the monitory, you forget that the 'majority' already own computers, old computers, that are still perfectly capable of doing what they want them to do, so why upgrade. They have computers, they just don't need to buy a new one, and if they don't buy a new one, that figure doesn't get included in the economic review that represent PC's at the end of each year. PC 'looks' like its dying, but it isn't.

Dear Tim Cook , 

As a mad person such as my self , I would like to say this : Your bat sh*t insane.

And do not forget this APPLE , Majority of PC users are using Windows , So lets say hypothetically , PC is doomed , Know this apple :

Microsoft, ASUS ,HP and Intel and bunch of other companies wont go down with out a fight , And when i say a fight , I mean the in the scale of WW2/3 , A one of helluva bloody war ( if 3 was to happen ) .

Other big named brands and corporations will lose profits because of technical issues/ devices being obsolete and heck even countries will scramble to save PC because there public service machines use's PC's and the country will lose money and some of its Income GDP. ( the reason i say countries is a reference to UK  paying Microsoft to keep Windows Xp a little bit more time until it was discontinued ).

So know this Tim , PC aint going nowhere , Not now , Not ever. You have to beat it out of Microsoft's cold bloody hands.

(⌐■_■) 

I think this should be rephrased as Tablet vs. Desktop

People are starting to think that Tim Cook is specifically targeting Microsoft for focusing on the PC rather than the tablet, but if he did then he would fail because Microsoft is complementing Tablets with their newer OS and considering the Surface product line

lol tim ur bein silly :^)

PCs aren't going anywhere. If one thing is, it's the iMac!

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

Why would you buy a PC? Like seriously, why would you?

"SO YOU CAN MAKE APPLE PRODUCTS."

I kinda agree. I had a computer repair business for the past 10 Years and desktop repairs or custom builds get less each year for us, most of our clients use now a tablet or another portable device.

Thats why I am slowly phasing out the computer repair and move more towards web development.

lol tim ur bein silly :^)

PCs aren't going anywhere. If one thing is, it's the iMac!

He said the entire desktop scene, in other words MAC OS and Windows OS on Desktops

So he is willing to drop from the PC scene if the tablet users increase at a high rate (which we're far from knowing considering the pace of technology)

(I don't expect Linux to ever fade away though since it's kind of essential to some programs and codes)

It is the end of the PC for 90% of the consumer market. 

You and I aren't part of that obviously. But 90% of the people who go to a store to buy a computer, would be fine with just an iPad and a keyboard. $600 for a much better experience than one of the piece of shit plastic Dells or HPs for $300 that have an i3 or low end AMD CPU.

mate, iPad was released 5y ago, not yesterday

everyday since then "PC will die" - no it didn't, and it won't

also, this:

IDC-Q1-2015-Tablets-800x526.jpg

PRFig2.JPG