Apple's Tim Cook declares the end of the PC

zMeul

But they already are, for the average user, a student, a parent, a kid,  an iPad or similar device does everything they need, they can browse the web, do basic documents, play basic games, listen to music, watch films, they can stream to their TV using their apple TV, watch netflix, buy movies, edit photos and movies, share to social media

Just because something CAN do something doesn't mean it's a good experience.

Just because something CAN do something doesn't mean it's a good experience.

I think it is, thats why I use my iPad and iPhone etc for most things that arent gaming / editing

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

On top of all this bull, the Surface Pro surely shows that high-powered tablets don't even have much of a portability advantage. Not to mention the generally decreasing weight, performance, and even upgrade ability on notebooks (though MacBooks have all but the latter).

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

now, let's get back to the point of tablets vs PC

PC

• configurability
  • upgradability
  • storage capacity
  • connectivity
  • performance / $
  • versatility of use scenarios
tablet
  • portability

I don't really want to break a circle jerk but.... most of the things you listed as pros for a PC is pointless.

Alot of people on this forum think they're the target group of the world, no you're not. The target group is the mass population.

Why bother configuring if 1 skew can work? 

Upgradability is pointless, just wastes space making parts modular or adding space to add additional parts.

Storage capacity? Going towards the future, the need for onboard storage should die. Offline storage might still be here for backups, but onboard storage on a device shouldn't be neccessary. 

Connectivity, this is really pushing it. Wireless is always better to the average consumer, the only connectivity they need is the power plug.

Performance/$ is pointless as well. What are you going to compare, how fast the ipad pro can open up microsoft word compared to a 5k imac?

Versatility, a tablet has that as well. Look at surface pro 4, it's a tablet. iPad Pro is not a perfect tablet, infact, I wouldn't even call it a good tablet. But the needs for desktop pcs is going away. And laptops will be dead soon to.

Except that full office and full adobe suite are coming to iPad pro, and it has a full keyboard so no different to using it on a PC

(just saying)

go shoot supermutants 

photoshop and illistrator would be ok with a stylus but id miss the mouse, thats the big issue for me, mouse is more accurate than my fingers

yeah i got rekt first one i found!

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

the better question is: why would I buy a tablet (namely iPad Pro) when a PC can do it better?

An even better question is why spend even more on a laptop or desktop PC when you don't need to? My parents each use iPads as their primary computing device at home. Obviously there's more they could do with a PC but they don't do those things anyway. They both have desktop PCs at their offices to use for real work, and everything else they need is doable for less money and with greater convenience on a tablet.

PC sales are continuing to decline because the scenario described above is actually a pretty common one for the everyday consumer. Tim Cook knows he is not speaking to enthusiasts, gamers, or professional content creators with that statement. Hell, Apple itself is one of the big players in high-end content creation.

Why not?

-edit-

Don't get me wrong, I'm trying to pick your brain here to see why you feel about it that way. I love discussions like this :D

Because you don't judge cpu's just by the number of cores they have or their clock speed. If just more cores/higher clock speed meant a faster Cpu then the amd fx 9590 would destroy a 6700k

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

I don't really want to break a circle jerk but.... most of the things you listed as pros for a PC is pointless.

Alot of people on this forum think they're the target group of the world, no you're not. The target group is the mass population.

Why bother configuring if 1 skew can work? 

Upgradability is pointless, just wastes space making parts modular or adding space to add additional parts.

Storage capacity? Going towards the future, the need for onboard storage should die. Offline storage might still be here for backups, but onboard storage on a device shouldn't be neccessary. 

Connectivity, this is really pushing it. Wireless is always better to the average consumer, the only connectivity they need is the power plug.

Performance/$ is pointless as well. What are you going to compare, how fast the ipad pro can open up microsoft word compared to a 5k imac?

Versatility, a tablet has that as well. Look at surface pro 4, it's a tablet. iPad Pro is not a perfect tablet, infact, I wouldn't even call it a good tablet. But the needs for desktop pcs is going away. And laptops will be dead soon to.

you are misguided in so many ways

on-line storage - costs money and you are at the mercy of the host, just the recent MS blunder with OneDrive; plus their security cue Apple nude leaks .. and so on

at least on my own storage I am the solely responsible with

connectivity:

come on!

and as I said, I expect Apple to put the money where their mouth is and discontinue all Macs (iMac, MacBook, Mac Pro) from their portfolio

even with the declining PC market, the dGPU shipments were double to tablets for Q1 2015

upgradability irrelevant? ha!  :lol:

you are misguided in so many ways

on-line storage - costs money and you are at the mercy of the host, just the recent MS blunder with OneDrive; plus their security cue Apple nude leaks .. and so on

at least on my own storage I am the solely responsible with

connectivity:

come on!

and as I said, I expect Apple to put the money where their mouth is and discontinue all Macs (iMac, MacBook, Mac Pro) from their portfolio

Not quite yet. People still buys macs remember!  IPad sales are falling, Mac sales are rising and they're so confused that they are blaming PCes.

Lmao this nigga right here...

Tim Cook you dumbass

I will always need a Laptop of some description ( be it in a tablet form factor such as a surface pro or a regular notebook). I will always need a desktop and I will always need a phone. I have no intention of buying a mobile tablet ever  again. I learnt from my first and last iPad that Mobile OS tablets suck.

Which is why I'll probably buy a surface 3 or Surface Pro 4 (if i can find massive discount).

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Didn't Steve Jobs say this in 2010? And look where we are now, the PC as a whole is stronger than ever. Saying it again won't make it any more true than five years ago.

And why would anyone buy Apple products, like at all? 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

And why would anyone buy Apple products, like at all? 

Because they look somewhat sexy Because they are simple and easy to use. They do what most people need.

(I don't own an apple device currently but i used to)

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

What an interesting read. Seems like a lot of people seem to be mistaking what he was saying, and thinking he's going after Microsoft when he's not. He simply said:

the iPad Pro is a replacement for a notebook or a desktop for many, many people. They will start using it and conclude they no longer need to use anything else, other than their phones,”

Which is absolutely true. I know many, many people that don't even use their PC's anymore, because most of what they need to do can be done on their phone, and (dare I say it) a console. Which is considerably less than what one would pay for a PC, not to mention you also have to find space to put said PC. Not everyone has the luxury of that added space.

I even find myself on my phone more than my PC, and I've often considered replacing my laptop, which I basically use on the couch or in bed, with a tablet.

It won't really replace gaming rigs for now, but really, we are very much the minority when it comes to consumers that use PC's.

But they already are, for the average user, a student, a parent, a kid,  an iPad or similar device does everything they need, they can browse the web, do basic documents, play basic games, listen to music, watch films, they can stream to their TV using their apple TV, watch netflix, buy movies, edit photos and movies, share to social media

id say 90% of what 90% of people do, is doable on an iPad (or similar)

Except for the gaming I do, (which arguably could be feasibly streamed like Nvidia Grid) I dont really need a PC - sure i use adobe suite, but if that comes out for iPad pro - it would do the job just fine, im no pro

my parents ONLY use an iPad, my brother uses his most of the time, my sister does not have a single computer or laptop in the house, just her and her boyfriend use ipads

Only me and my brother in my family use PCs, and he really only uses his macbook for work stuff

While I agree with you 100%, there are a few things that tablets can't do well, and simply can't complete with, like a multi monitor set up.

If I'm queing up to bid on items, I need 2 screens. Or even one large screen with easily switchable tabs, something a tablet simply doesn't give me.

the average user is but a fraction of the market; and I don't see students using software keyboard over an actual physical one

and ps: parenting isn't a profession  ^_^ and I bet your ass the use of a PC is part of their jobs

The average user is an extremely massive section of the market.

Students might want to keep the keyboard, but there are keyboard attachments for tablets, are there not? ;)

i just hate apple becuase there so damn proprietary & there shit is stupid over priced for what you get...

but most ppl dont care or even realize that... so yeah for the average joe im sure thats true... but im sure pretty that everyone on these forums would probably disagree what Cook said

"Over priced" is relative. People pay it, therefore their price must be right. Name brand, perceived worth, and support have to factor into the equation.

We would, however we're not really your average consumer.

How long ago did you go to school? Seriously! They use Windows powered machines exclusively.

I've been on a few campus's that use exclusively Apple computers.

You mean that phone that is one of the most powerful on the market? beating almost every other phone in the benchmarks?

with one of the best cameras (top 10)?

Test -

Ok find me a 13" laptop with a full metal chassis, 12 hours of battery life, a super high res retina display PCI-E based SSDs, intel iris graphics for $1300

Test -

Find me a phone that benchmarks higher than the iPhone, with an equally good camera, that costs less than an iPhone 

"12 hours". I don't think any device actually gets near it's quoted hour rating.

As for your laptop, Asus Zenbook. Comes with an i7, exceptional battery life, high res display, 12GB RAM, and discrete graphics.

I think it's currently unfair to try and find a phone that beats the iPhone; most are still on almost a year old SoC's while the iPhone is rocking the most current one. In a few months I think we'll see many devices that are on par or beat the iPhone, while being considerably cheaper.

Anyone who looks at benchmarks when buying a phone needs to rethink their life.

I need to have a fast browser, and long battery. Both of those things are crucial to my use of the device. Benchmarks show how well the device performs these tasks.

How on earth is that wrong?

Hmmm I wonder about people who use office applications. Heavy word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, diagrams etc... These people are not enthusiasts, there are hundreds of millions of them working in offices all around the world. Will they be satisfied with an iPad plus peripherals?

Many companies are already switching over.

However, that's besides the entire point of the article. A business is not your average consumer. The people working inside, when at home or during their daily lives are the average consumer.

On the very long term the argument is also a lot about semantics. Let's say in fifteen years from now if I come home and put my phone on my desk, it seamlessly connects and outputs to my 27" monitor, my VR headset and my keyboard, mouse plus speakers. At this point has PC died? Or have phones become PCs? It's more of the latter IMO.

I believe this day will be coming sooner than later, especially with Microsoft's Continuum push. I sort of hope it really takes off, I think it'd be pretty neat to have everything carried around with you, though I don't think I'd ever give up local storage. I'll never completely give in to the cloud. Too many things I'd rather not have on there.

Ohh.. End of the computer? How then Apple gonna make their devices without "forming" them on a PC?

Average consumer, not developer. Jeeze. Shocked at how many people read that completely out of context.

i want to watch him render 4k video on an ipad. sorry but i don't think you will ever be able to replace the PC for professional work. also didn't we just have a report saying the PC hardware market was growing.  

I don't think there are a lot of people that render 4k at all. He said average consumer. Not people doing professional work...

1) Gaming is more than a decade away from having sufficient power to be run on a tablet, despite Nvidia's advancement with Tegra if you wanted to truly game you'd kill battery in a hurry and it's a fraction of the power of even a mid range card like the 950 or the 370

2) No office employee is gonna give up a physical keyboard, and because of that obviously a full sized one is always preferrable, so no amount of touch control bullshit keyboards will be adequate for most office tasks

3) IT personnel, content creators, programmers, people using workstations.

Those 3 basically gave birth to the PC and will continue to do so for at least another decade or two. Folks at home are well served with a tablet which was Cook's point, minus the stupid hyperbole.

I'd say it's closer to a decade. Think of how far things have come in the past decade.

Office tasks don't fall under an average consumer, they're a business.

Most people, like he said, and even you reiterated, can get away with a tablet.

I hate Canada... I'm paying $62 for 2GB, unlimited calls nation wide and unlimited texts. And one of those gigs was a back to school promotion so my plan is normally $62 for 1GB :'(

For $85 I could get 3GB, at $90 I can get 5GB. This is before tax. 

Do you really need more than 2GB of data though?

It's good to have some time away from the screen ;)

got half way through thread, thought fuck this i have fallout to play, so cliffs

lots of people hate on apple few people defend......main arguments "derp apple is overpriced crap for sheeple" 

apple make soild products and inovate all the time, get over it, but this is retarded. people are not about to drop PCs for tablets.....there are still many thangs that are better on a pc/laptop. office for a start

right wheres my pip boy

They don't really innovate, let's be real. They reuse other peoples ideas. They definitely do make a solid and often beautiful product though, I'll give them that.

How's FallOut? Still haven't pulled the trigger, but with class it's not like I have a ton of free time these days anyway.

Well...I don't know. The list is pretty short!

• Customizations -The average consumer does not customize their PC
  • Upgrades -The average consumer does not upgrade their PC
  • Far more Powerful -And if you don't need the power, it's pointless
  • Far more freedom -Most people do everything they need and more on iPads, or if they don't currently, certainly could
  • Gaming support -Tablets have tons of games
  • Better OSes -For now
  • Production (especially game and art production) -True, but not an average consumer task
  • Affordability -If he's comparing Apple to Apple products, it's similar in price to an iMac
  • Logic -Not sure what you mean here
  • Not Apple crap -Millions upon millions of consumers love it

Apple needs to burn. :angry: - Competition is good. Apple provides that.

Replies in bold.

On top of all this bull, the Surface Pro surely shows that high-powered tablets don't even have much of a portability advantage. Not to mention the generally decreasing weight, performance, and even upgrade ability on notebooks (though MacBooks have all but the latter).

There are very, very few notebooks that are up-gradable. You have to make them too large to add such functionality, and IMO that defeats the whole purpose of the device.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

The average consumer does not customize their PC

The average consumer does not upgrade their PC

And if you don't need the power, it's pointless

Most people do everything they need and more on iPads, or if they don't currently, certainly could

Tablets have tons of games

For now

True, but not an average consumer task

If he's comparing Apple to Apple products, it's similar in price to an iMac

Not sure what you mean here

Millions upon millions of consumers love it

Competition is good. Apple provides that.

That makes replying back to you very difficult... :(

• To declare the PC dead is to refer to the entire audience that uses it, not just the old people who can't operate a phone etc. For it to be dead logically, the entire PC audience would have to agree that the need for a PC is no longer there. Or no longer be existence themselves, because their quantity proves it is in demand.
  • I don't know about that...even upgrading their RAM or fans etc count as upgrading.
  • So PC is dead because the people who don't need these things exist? It doesn't make sense. Tim Cook said I don't need a PC and I showed that I do. He needs to remember his sheep aren't the only people on the planet and their opinion, as well as his own, is not crispiest chip in the bag. Nor among the smartest.
  • Do most people use their iPads for everything they do or need to do? I doubt it.
  • Tablets have tons of ugly, poor, unoriginal and terrible games. Because of hardware and a lack of audience for gamers.
  • For now is all that matters. "For now" is when he is stupidly declaring PC dead. So for what makes something better now is more than enough reason to prove the statement wrong.
  • A lot of people create things, not just high end stuff like developers. You would be surprised how many artists there are out there, especially the kind that can't afford putting 2,000 down on a hunk of junk that won't meet their needs. Would a tablet be able to offer them the same experience a desktop or laptop could? I very much doubt it. Even if they could manage to make their pens almost decent in comparison.
  • He isn't comparing Apple against Apple. He is talking about the general existence of PC, iMacs or not. If he is talking about Apple vs Apple, then alright.
  • (that part was mostly a joke but it doesn't make sense to spend 2,000$ for a device for a specific task if a PC or laptop can meet that task cheaper and far better)
  • Millions of people like Twilight...quantity doesn't really say anything about quality. Also, most of those people are pretty ignorant about these things. So when they buy an iPad to do their work and it doesn't work, they don't know why except that maybe it is broken, and don't think beyond that and that it might be related to the actual product not meeting their needs (one of the reasons I quit Apple tech support).

No, Apple doesn't provide competition when it aims to stomp it out with its patent trolls etc etc.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

SNIP

That was a monumental post, but very well said

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Not quite yet. People still buys macs remember!  IPad sales are falling, Mac sales are rising and they're so confused that they are blaming PCes.

I will always need a Laptop of some description ( be it in a tablet form factor such as a surface pro or a regular notebook). I will always need a desktop and I will always need a phone. I have no intention of buying a mobile tablet ever  again. I learnt from my first and last iPad that Mobile OS tablets suck.

Which is why I'll probably buy a surface 3 or Surface Pro 4 (if i can find massive discount).

Yeh, these big tech guys are so unrealistic in what they say. "Youll only need the iPad Pro and your iPhone"... Yeh ok......... In a fantasy world where real work doesnt need to get done -_-

Ive also been greatly interested in a Surface Pro, maybe when the new one comes, Ill get the older one, seems like a nice add on to my devices.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

That makes replying back to you very difficult... :(

• To declare the PC dead is to refer to the entire audience that uses it, not just the old people who can't operate a phone etc. For it to be dead logically, the entire PC audience would have to agree that the need for a PC is no longer there. Or no longer be existence themselves, because their quantity proves it is in demand.
  • I don't know about that...even upgrading their RAM or fans etc count as upgrading.
  • So PC is dead because the people who don't need these things exist? It doesn't make sense. Tim Cook said I don't need a PC and I showed that I do. He needs to remember his sheep aren't the only people on the planet and their opinion, as well as his own, is not crispiest chip in the bag. Nor among the smartest.
  • Do most people use their iPads for everything they do or need to do? I doubt it.
  • Tablets have tons of ugly, poor, unoriginal and terrible games. Because of hardware and a lack of audience for gamers.
  • For now is all that matters. "For now" is when he is stupidly declaring PC dead. So for what makes something better now is more than enough reason to prove the statement wrong.
  • A lot of people create things, not just high end stuff like developers. You would be surprised how many artists there are out there, especially the kind that can't afford putting 2,000 down on a hunk of junk that won't meet their needs. Would a tablet be able to offer them the same experience a desktop or laptop could? I very much doubt it. Even if they could manage to make their pens almost decent in comparison.
  • He isn't comparing Apple against Apple. He is talking about the general existence of PC, iMacs or not. If he is talking about Apple vs Apple, then alright.
  • (that part was mostly a joke but it doesn't make sense to spend 2,000$ for a device for a specific task if a PC or laptop can meet that task cheaper and far better)
  • Millions of people like Twilight...quantity doesn't really say anything about quality. Also, most of those people are pretty ignorant about these things. So when they buy an iPad to do their work and it doesn't work, they don't know why except that maybe it is broken, and don't think beyond that and that it might be related to the actual product not meeting their needs (one of the reasons I quit Apple tech support).

No, Apple doesn't provide competition when it aims to stomp it out with its patent trolls etc etc.

That's the thing though, you're putting words in his mouth and completely misinterpreting what he's saying. Not once did he state that PC was dead. He simply stated that the average consumer could use a tablet, and that would meet the functional requirements that they have. Which is true.

Even my father, who is one of the most hardcore of PC gamers, has started to move to tablets for day to day computing. He replies to emails from them. He surfs the web while he watches his nightly shows. The only time he goes to his PC now is to game, which is not an average consumer type task.

Haha, are you seriously trying to tell me people are likely to upgrade their fans? Hell most people on this forum are probably unlikely to upgrade fans. As for RAM, perhaps, but once again they'd likely just take it to BestBuy or a similar store and get it done for them. It's also rather uncommon.

I'd venture out and say you're not the average consumer. Most of us on this forum aren't. Hell, most of my friends, even those into gaming think joining a forum is a whole new level of nerd.

Yes, they do. What do most people do on their PC's?

• banking
  • web browsing
  • replying to emails
  • occasional light word processing
  • photo storage/viewing

All of these things can be done on a tablet with great ease, especially if you buy a keyboard accessory.

Sure, the games aren't as nice as a PC. But we're talking average consumer here not gamer. Don't think for one second that those game don't make mad profits. King, the developer of Candy Crush Saga and other games, brings in 1.9 billion dollars annually from those "terrible" games. Just because you don't like them, doesn't mean the market feels the same.

Apple is competition regardless of their ill business practices.

TL;DR - You're mistaking yourself, and the rest of this forum for average consumers, which we're definitely not. I'd never replace my PC with a tablet. However I'm not ignorant enough to think that a solid 60% of the general market couldn't.

That was a monumental post, but very well said

When I started out reading the replies I thought I'd have one or two quotes, and as I neared the end and saw how many I'd multi'd it was hard not to just close the window and forget it :P

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

That's the thing though, you're putting words in his mouth and completely misinterpreting what he's saying. Not once did he state that PC was dead. He simply stated that the average consumer could use a tablet, and that would meet the functional requirements that they have. Which is true.

I'm putting words in his mouth? Where does the article state Tim referred to the "average consumer"? I read it three times and haven't seen it yet. And even if he did, am I supposed to just take his word that the average consumer is happy with their products and that said products do their tasks the same or better than a PC/laptop?

Even my father, who is one of the most hardcore of PC gamers, has started to move to tablets for day to day computing. He replies to emails from them. He surfs the web while he watches his nightly shows. The only time he goes to his PC now is to game, which is not an average consumer type task.

Again I ask; where does he make the distinction of the "average consumer" and where does he get his "facts" from?

Haha, are you seriously trying to tell me people are likely to upgrade their fans? Hell most people on this forum are probably unlikely to upgrade fans. As for RAM, perhaps, but once again they'd likely just take it to BestBuy or a similar store and get it done for them. It's also rather uncommon.

No. I said even upgrading fans count as upgrades. I know plenty of people who can barely do anything techy but make small upgrades to their PCs, from fan replacement to new GPU purchases. They may not make those changes out of their own knowledge (like asking what to buy) but they do do it themselves. Is it as a common? No. And that's not what I said at all...and what does it matter if they make the changes or not? They have the upgrades/changes made and that's the point. Or does someone else putting more RAM in my computer make it not an upgrade because I didn't do it?

I'd venture out and say you're not the average consumer. Most of us on this forum aren't. Hell, most of my friends, even those into gaming think joining a forum is a whole new level of nerd.

Yes, they do. What do most people do on their PC's?

• banking
  • web browsing
  • replying to emails
  • occasional light word processing
  • photo storage/viewing
All of these things can be done on a tablet with great ease, especially if you buy a keyboard accessory.

I'm not an average consumer, and I don't remember making a statement about this forum or its populace. But now I wonder just how many people here are as tech savvy as they claim or is said to be.

Sure, the games aren't as nice as a PC. But we're talking average consumer here not gamer. Don't think for one second that those game don't make mad profits. King, the developer of Candy Crush Saga and other games, brings in 1.9 billion dollars annually from those "terrible" games. Just because you don't like them, doesn't mean the market feels the same.

No, I'm pretty sure you are talking about the average consumer, not Tim. I still don't see where the article points out Tim's distinction. But I still ask: how does it make PC dead if there is a huge demand still? He can't say it is dead because he has a huge audience. I mean he could say it, but he will look very ignorant.

Apple is competition regardless of their ill business practices.

I assumed you meant their spirit.

TL;DR - You're mistaking yourself, and the rest of this forum for average consumers, which we're definitely not. I'd never replace my PC with a tablet. However I'm not ignorant enough to think that a solid 60% of the general market couldn't.

When I started out reading the replies I thought I'd have one or two quotes, and as I neared the end and saw how many I'd multi'd it was hard not to just close the window and forget it :P

I haven't mistaken anything. I never once made a reference to this forum and how they compare to the average consumer. I only ever made attempts to prove the article and Tim wrong by answering him and giving reasons for why a tablet would never work for me.

Now if he is talking about the average person, that still brings up talking about his claim that "PC is dead" when it isn't. Even if the demand for iPads grows, it doesn't mean the demand for PCs decreases. It can't be dead if a demand still exists.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I'm putting words in his mouth? Where does the article state Tim referred to the "average consumer"? I read it three times and haven't seen it yet. And even if he did, am I supposed to just take his word that the average consumer is happy with their products and that said products do their tasks the same or better than a PC/laptop?

Again I ask; where does he make the distinction of the "average consumer" and where does he get his "facts" from?

No. I said even upgrading fans count as upgrades. I know plenty of people who can barely do anything techy but make small upgrades to their PCs, from fan replacement to new GPU purchases. They may not make those changes out of their own knowledge (like asking what to buy) but they do do it themselves. Is it as a common? No. And that's not what I said at all...and what does it matter if they make the changes or not? They have the upgrades/changes made and that's the point. Or does someone else putting more RAM in my computer make it not an upgrade because I didn't do it?I'm not an average consumer, and I don't remember making a statement about this forum or its populace. But now I wonder just how many people here are as tech savvy as they claim or is said to be.No, I'm pretty sure you are talking about the average consumer, not Tim. I still don't see where the article points out Tim's distinction. But I still ask: how does it make PC dead if there is a huge demand still? He can't say it is dead because he has a huge audience. I mean he could say it, but he will look very ignorant.

I assumed you meant their spirit.

I haven't mistaken anything. I never once made a reference to this forum and how they compare to the average consumer. I only ever made attempts to prove the article and Tim wrong by answering him and giving reasons for why a tablet would never work for me.

Now if he is talking about the average person, that still brings up talking about his claim that "PC is dead" when it isn't. Even if the demand for iPads grows, it doesn't mean the demand for PCs decreases. It can't be dead if a demand still exists.

Tim Cook never said that PC was dead.

I see you can only surmise when it benefits what you have to say. Take a look at his quotes. He's saying "many, many people". He's in a retail business, that deals with average consumers. Who else would he be talking about?

A very, very small percentage of people upgrade their PC's. Most just go out and buy a new one, even if it's repairable.

You seem to be very stuck on something he never actually said.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Tim Cook never said that PC was dead.

I see you can only surmise when it benefits what you have to say. Take a look at his quotes. He's saying "many, many people". He's in a retail business, that deals with average consumers. Who else would he be talking about?

A very, very small percentage of people upgrade their PC's. Most just go out and buy a new one, even if it's repairable.

You seem to be very stuck on something he never actually said.

He never said it in those words, but it is what he means to say when he asks his very stupid question "why buy PCs?". And "many, many people" is supposed to translate as "average consumer" and directly to Apple vs Apple products? And since when did Apple become or admit to being an "average consumer" only business? They sell computers with high end hardware (or close to it) and advertise it as being viable options to their alternatives. If the average consumer is okay with an iPad, or that Apple's average consumers are okay with iPads etc etc, then why sell computers or "high-end" computers or attempt to claim their products as such to appeal to those who need such things?

I don't buy that he's strictly talking Apple vs Apple nor do I buy that he's talking about the average consumer, because nothing in the article even remotely suggests it.

“Yes, the iPad Pro is a replacement for a notebook or a desktop for many, many people. They will start using it and conclude they no longer need to use anything else, other than their phones,”

Well sure, for anyone who doesn't do anything more than use facebook or play terrible mobile games, an ipad is plenty...

But for everyone else?  The desktop ain't going anywhere.

To me, a tablet is essentially a toy, it will never replace an actual PC. If someone is happy with their toy, that's fine, but it's still a toy. And honestly, I predict people will just give up on tablets all together and just stick to their phones. After all, it's essentially the same device at this point, only smaller.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Do you really need more than 2GB of data though?

It's good to have some time away from the screen ;)

Its true 2GB is plenty but then I'd like the cost to scale down to match the amount. I believe I've seen other members of this forum with similar plans for half the cost.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)