Apple's Tim Cook declares the end of the PC

zMeul

There's so much to comment on...it's just not worth responding to everyone I disagree with. Let's just say I dare Tim Cook to replace all PCs (including macs) at Apple with tablets and see how much actually gets done.

you are misguided in so many ways

on-line storage - costs money and you are at the mercy of the host, just the recent MS blunder with OneDrive; plus their security cue Apple nude leaks .. and so on

at least on my own storage I am the solely responsible with

connectivity:

come on!

and as I said, I expect Apple to put the money where their mouth is and discontinue all Macs (iMac, MacBook, Mac Pro) from their portfolio

even with the declining PC market, the dGPU shipments were double to tablets for Q1 2015

upgradability irrelevant? ha!  :lol:

If you care that much about your data, it shouldn't be on your machine, it should be backed up elsewhere.

Upgrdability is irrelevant, you seem to be stuck in a circle jerk where anyone who builds a PC is the superior target audience, no you're the minority, Apple could give 2 shits less about that small 10%. 

Why would anyone want to upgrade? They buy a product and it works. If it stops working they bring it in for repair/exchange or buy a new one. 

Its true 2GB is plenty but then I'd like the cost to scale down to match the amount. I believe I've seen other members of this forum with similar plans for half the cost.

Yeah, but Canada is a much much larger area to cover. Towers cost money.

It's also lack of competition, but you have to figure it's going to cost more to service one of the largest countries on the planet.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Yeah, but Canada is a much much larger area to cover. Towers cost money.

It's also lack of competition, but you have to figure it's going to cost more to service one of the largest countries on the planet.

Hadn't though about size... BC is about the size of England

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Tablets can't even run Crysis.

And?  I have never played Crisis, so that's hardly a reason to not have a tablet.

Actually No 2 son has a Android tablet wife has an iPad mini No1 son 90% of the time uses his phone He only uses the desktop as it has a bigger display so uses it to watch videos. This is basically my system, No2 son has my old desktop in his room (mainly for his games) but he doesn't seem to use this much. They also have laptops but they never seem to use them.

So in a house with seven computers only one of them is a much used desktop.

Think shadowCaptain is more or less correct in his view.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

CAN'T

STOP

LAUGHING

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Yeah I said this same thing until I got my first OSX machine in about 2011, a Macbook Air.  Since that I've owned 2x Retina MacBook Pros (both times the maximum specifications possible), a few iPads, the only reason I go back to Windows is for gaming.

Why would you own so many different machines?

From 2007 up to this year I've had the same Acer laptop which cost like $400 at the time.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Well sure, for anyone who doesn't do anything more than use facebook or play terrible mobile games, an ipad is plenty...

But looking about thats what I see (OK I am Biased and tend to see more about desktops) 90% of users do just that so anIPad (or similar) is plenty.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Not that I've slightly stopped laughing, I want to see a tablet, ANY tablet, able to function at least as well as a PC or even a laptop at what I do at work.

Currently we're using two FHD displays and we'll be adding a third, since we need more screen space (4k was considered but the price is too high right now) to be able to do our work properly.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

And?  I have never played Crisis, so that's hardly a reason to not have a tablet.

Actually No 2 son has a Android tablet wife has an iPad mini No1 son 90% of the time uses his phone He only uses the desktop as it has a bigger display so uses it to watch videos. This is basically my system, No2 son has my old desktop in his room (mainly for his games) but he doesn't seem to use this much. They also have laptops but they never seem to use them.

So in a house with seven computers only one of them is a much used desktop.

Think shadowCaptain is more or less correct in his view.

Exactly, it might not happen immediately, but that is the way its going, more and more people find that the tasks they do are accessible on a nice cheap light easy to use tablet

The title "declares the end of PC" is wrong, Cook NEVER said that, he just implied that for the average person, they might not need a pc, which I believe is true

if I didnt game or make youtube videos I doubt I would even own a desktop, 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

They don't really innovate, let's be real. They reuse other peoples ideas. 

you should really look up the definition of innovate.

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Because they look somewhat sexy Because they are simple and easy to use. They do what most people need.

(I don't own an apple device currently but i used to)

They don't look sexy at all. And "do what most people will need" can be done by any other Android tablet for much lower price also.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

If he really thinks this, then why are Apple still making laptops and iMacs? They should just start making tablets and phones and we will see how things will go... :D

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Hadn't though about size... BC is about the size of England

Nooooo. England is about a 1/10 the size of BC.

you should really look up the definition of innovate.

"make changes in something established, especially by introducing new methods, ideas, or products."

I'd say we're both right ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

the better question is: why would I buy a tablet (namely iPad Pro) when a PC can do it better?

tablets .. tablets aren't about portability, not even productivity, they are about convenience - and do you know what's funny? tablets from either Apple or Microsoft are backpedaling towards laptops (netbooks specifically) by adding physical keyboards

You know what's funny? Everyone I know who has tried to do actual work on a tablet has quickly decided to get a laptop. Tablets make sense as cheap, ultraportable entertainment platforms. Once you stick a 1k price tag on them and expect people to use it with a keyboard, you're just making a bad laptop.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

PC has been "dying" since the 2000's lol.

I don't see the end of PC any time soon.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

if I didnt game or make youtube videos I doubt I would even own a desktop, 

But the average person writes something though, right? Who could write on a tablet without killing themselves? :(

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Personally, I would never buy a tablet because I have a smart phone and will always own a PC.

Also, I know I have to be in the minority.  I can count the number of people I interact with on the daily who own a PC on one hand.

No one likes Tim Cook anyway, even Apple fans. Tim, don't give us more reasons to hate you.

Have you ever watched a "Get a mac" campaign ad? They're one guy called "MAC" and the opposing guy is called "PC". This is Apple's adverts so apple doesn't think that Macs are PCs.

Literally the most mundane and irrelevant part of the 'Mac vs PC' discussion. People need to stop focusing on this. It's obvious what is meant by the terms.

But the average person writes something though, right? Who could write on a tablet without killing themselves? :(

He was referring to the iPad Pro, which has a proper keyboard accessory

Anyway, he never said "the PC is dead" he just said that (for the average joe) since the iPad pro will do all the tasks an everyday person will need, why would they buy a PC when this is just a more simple easy to use and really nice device

I think he has a point, people that don't really need to look at how the market has shifted to tablets and smartphones as the go to tech for many people, while I do not see the PC being replaced for a long time, its usage will diminish more and more, starting with the average home user

tablet usage is already finding its way into business use, it might not replace every machine, but its become a more and more useful tool every day, and its use is growing

While the "surface" is a great concept, using one is still not perfect, its kind of a bastard hybrid, where the tablet functionality is severely limited, and trying to use a desktop OS is fiddely,  it might have the capabilities of a full PC but its nowhere near as pleasant to use, and it might be tablet shaped but its overly complex for simple tasks

the iPad Pro MIGHT be a great product that gives us a tablet that is just that bit more capable, without having to resort to a complicated and fiddely full desktop OS

There is something nice about iOS, and if they can get full office, full adobe suite, a great pen, and great keyboard all working nicely - this could definitely be a device with broad appeal for home, student and business

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

He was referring to the iPad Pro, which has a proper keyboard accessory

Anyway, he never said "the PC is dead" he just said that (for the average joe) since the iPad pro will do all the tasks an everyday person will need, why would they buy a PC when this is just a more simple easy to use and really nice device

You know what? Even iVerge called the iPad Pro out and said it couldn't be a laptop replacement!

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I don't think you're asking the right question. The question isn't "what do you need the PC for if you got the iPad Pro", the question should be "in what way is the iPad Pro better than a laptop for less or the same money?".

That's what I think is the biggest problem with the iPad Pro. The price. It means that it is not just competing against other Android tablets, it is also competing against Apple's own laptops. For roughly the same amount of money as the iPad Pro with a keyboard and stuff, you could get a MacBook or a MacBook Pro. If you want to save some money you could get the MacBook Air instead. Those laptops will be able to do the same tasks the average Joe would do on the iPad Pro, and a lot of other things as well.

It's not the PC that has to justify its existence. It's the iPad Pro that has to justify doing less for the same amount of money.