Let's Put This to Rest: Build Über 4K PC NOW OR WAIT for Pascal / Arcitc Island DIRECT X12 vs MANTLE?

My eyes hurt glazing over info and can't find a definitive answer. I've used the search in this forum and many others and its 50/50, some people claim that the performance boost from say TITAN Z to PASCAL Equivalent won't be noticeable, others say it will be groundbreaking. Same for AMD.

I need a desktop for work and play and it's got to be 4K video editing, HQ audio editing and gaming capable.

HOWEVER! If Pascal is going to be legendary 32GB of VRAM and 8K gaming, then I'll wait! (WHEN IS PASCAL / ARCTIC ISLAND COMING OUT NEXT YEAR? Spring?)

What say you Linus Forum? Drop $3,000USD on a desktop now or make it $4,000USD next year? (People who look like they can help - no offense to anyone not tagged) @Majestic @applesuxD @SkilledRebuilds @Aniallation

when pascal is released, a new one will be announced. just grab a 5820k and 2 980 tis and youll be fine

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

Pascal won't have 32gbs of vram, that's just lunacy. 

Don't bother waiting, the next jump most likely won't be huge, go for sli 980ti's or crossfire Fury X's, at 4k they perform nearly identically.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

My eyes hurt glazing over info and can't find a definitive answer. I've used the search in this forum and many others and its 50/50, some people claim that the performance boost from say TITAN Z to PASCAL Equivalent won't be noticeable, others say it will be groundbreaking. Same for AMD.

I need a desktop for work and play and it's got to be 4K video editing, HQ audio editing and gaming capable.

HOWEVER! If Pascal is going to be legendary 32GB of VRAM and 8K gaming, then I'll wait! (WHEN IS PASCAL / ARCTIC ISLAND COMING OUT NEXT YEAR? Spring?)

What so you Linus Forum? Drop $3,000USD on a desktop now or make it $4,000USD next year? (People who look like they can help) @Majestic @applesuxD @djdwosk97 @SkilledRebuilds @dabobimnable @rentaspoon

If you really care about 4k, then I'd say wait since the next generation will probably be more geared toward 4k (plus 4k monitors will be cheaper). Alternatively, next gen GPUs will probably only be one notch faster than this generation (which would be enough at the high end to support 4k) -- so a 1080 would be like a 980Ti, and so on (that's generally how things go from generation to generation -- usually <20% improvements at best). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

If you really care about 4k, then I'd say wait since the next generation will probably be more geared toward 4k (plus 4k monitors will be cheaper). Alternatively, next gen GPUs will probably only be one notch faster than this generation (which would be enough at the high end to support 4k) -- so a 1080 would be like a 980Ti, and so on (that's generally how things go from generation to generation -- usually <20% improvements at best).

thank you for your timely response and advice. I will be working for a Global TV Company and need a rig that can do 4K video and audio editing when I'm not at work. A monitor with gsync and all that jazz to boot.

thank you for your timely response and advice. I will be working for a Global TV Company and need a rig that can do 4K video and audio editing when I'm not at work. A monitor with gsync and all that jazz to boot.

Well, 4k productivity work is already doable -- it's just 4k ultra gaming that just isn't quite there yet. Personally, if you really care about going 4k asap, AND if your current rig still does a good job, then I'd say wait. Otherwise, waiting is rarely the right answer (unless of course the release is a couple weeks away, which Pascal is not).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Well, 4k productivity work is already doable -- it's just 4k ultra gaming that just isn't quite there yet. Personally, if you really care about going 4k asap, AND if your current rig still does a good job, then I'd say wait. Otherwise, waiting is rarely the right answer (unless of course the release is a couple weeks away, which Pascal is not).

tahts the thing though are we talking January pascal or June pascal 2016???????????

explain if you feel like typing or providing a link please

I am on phone so I don't feel like typing much but...

Basically even if you get all top end hardware for a lot of money now you barely get good 4k gaming experience if you want to play games maxed out which you should if you are throwing so much money on it.

Such PC will lose its value by a lot once a 4k very capable single GPU comes out which will most likely happen in next generation (Pascal).

Then expect your PC to lose its value by about a 50% within 1.5 year which is a lot of money.

Edit..

It will lose value even more so if Maxwell turns out to be a flop at DX12 even with drivers.

tahts the thing though are we talking January pascal or June pascal 2016???????????

Last I heard was around Mid 2016. 

I am on phone so I don't feel like typing much but...

Basically even if you get all top end hardware for a lot of money now you barely get good 4k gaming experience of you want to play games maxed out which you should of you are throwing so much money on it.

Such PC will lose its value by a lot once a 4k very capable single GPU comes out which will most likely happen in next generation (Pascal).

Then expect your PC to lose its value by about a 50% within 1.5 year which is a lot of money.

That's true in general though, GPUs don't hold value all that well over time, so any top tier GPU will drop significantly when the new generation is released. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

get two titan x's

Sir that's $2k why not wait for pascal X or whatever they decide to call it.

Sir that's $2k why not wait for pascal X or whatever they decide to call it.

Well, SLI 980Ti's would be the way to go for 4k, not Titan X's anyway. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Last I heard was around Mid 2016.

That's true in general though, GPUs don't hold value all that well over time, so any top tier GPU will drop significantly when the new generation is released.

Yes. But if Pascal is really going to be 4k ready (single GPU can max most games at 4k) then the difference vs Maxwell highest end will be huge thus even greatly reducing its value than would usually happen.

Yes. But if Pascal is really going to be 4k ready (single GPU can max most games at 4k) then the difference vs Maxwell highest end will be huge thus even greatly reducing its value than would usually happen.

@djdwosk97 werecat has a point, if one Pascal can do 60fps 4k gaming out of the box, then Titan z and everything below becomes obsolete instantly.

@djdwosk97 werecat has a point, if one Pascal can do 60fps 4k gaming out of the box, then Titan z and everything below becomes obsolete instantly.

At 4k, yes, but the same can be said about a 980Ti vs. a 780Ti, the fact is that any top tier GPU will tank in value when the next generation is released. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

At 4k, yes, but the same can be said about a 980Ti vs. a 780Ti, the fact is that any top tier GPU will tank in value when the next generation is released.

true, your knowledge of the mantle vs direct x12 war? @WereCat @Atmos

Just wait, and save up for $4000. I think pascal will give a huge boost to 4k performance.

Save up for....

Skylake - E and two GTX 1080p or whatever pascal will be named.

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

Just wait, and save up for $4000. I think pascal will give a huge boost to 4k performance.

Save up for....

you being serious right? #NotTrolling ???

true, your knowledge of the mantle vs direct x12 war? @WereCat @Atmos

Mantle is dead, so I assume you're referring to AMD being superior in DX12 games. Well, I have no idea, and anyone who claims to have any legitimate idea is either full of them self or lying. Unless you happen to understand the actual engineering behind both GPU architectures (and how they work -- i.e. they have the capability to design their own GPU) then I wouldn't put much faith in their opinion. 

Some leaked results seem to point to AMD being superior, but with no real benchmarks to go by it's really impossible to say (not to mention we're still in the infancy of DX12 anyway).

Save up for....

Skylake-E will likely offer nothing of any real worth. Skylake is barely an improvement over Haswell, and Even an i5 won't hold you back in most games, so the need for a hex/octa-core for gaming won't likely be any time soon. 

/My assumption for Pascal will be that it will make 4k just barely doable on a single 1080Ti. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

But 780ti was great 1440p card and it delivered and 980ti is even better 1440p card if you want to play on more than 60Hz however it is marketed as a 4k card while it really isn't and you need two of them unlike the 780ti which could push the resolution it was marketed for.

So if you got single 780ti you can play 1440p and you get pretty much no benefit to upgrade to 980ti as that will let you stuck to 1440p too so 780ti actually keeps most of its value.

Regarding DX12 vs Mantle vs Vulkan vs AMD vs NVIDIA... There is too little data to say anything beside speculations.

I can only assume on benchmarks from Ashes of Singularity.

What say you Linus Forum? Drop $3,000USD on a desktop now or make it $4,000USD next year? (People who look like they can help - no offense to anyone not tagged) @Majestic @applesuxD @djdwosk97 @SkilledRebuilds @ @rentaspoon @Aniallation

TBH, if you wait for a new GPU/graphics card to come out now you will always be waiting for. Just build an uber 4K PC now and upgrade 5+ years from now if you need to.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL