Let's Put This to Rest: Build Über 4K PC NOW OR WAIT for Pascal / Arcitc Island DIRECT X12 vs MANTLE?

I'm going to disagree with you on this. My fury X is currently inside a Bitfenix Colossus and there isn't any where I cannot mount my rad, with a H100 GTX, its a fairly large case. There are always exceptions though, this is just in my experience. 

I did go look at OP's previous topics and he's mentioned the Cooler Master Cosmos II as a case he is interested in. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/441002-any-way-to-find-what-new-cases-are-coming-out/#entry5910880  

you know what they say, love at first sight. I just like that Über Tower class, 27inches tall, 31.5inches deep that's one bad mama jamma! Now I realize that hard pipe cooling isn't cheap and with all that interior you may end up needing more pipe than if you had a mid tower or a full tower. But everybody is always complaining about airflow, gotta have the right push pull, well the Comos II has room for 15 fans I believe in addition to hard pipe cooling all day, plus it's about 3 inches off the ground so I could put it over my AC vent which pumps out ice cold air, and like I said I know a custom painted one I can get for tree fiddy.

you know what they say, love at first sight. I just like that Über Tower class, 27inches tall, 31.5inches deep that's one bad mama jamma! Now I realize that hard pipe cooling isn't cheap and with all that interior you may end up needing more pipe than if you had a mid tower or a full tower. But everybody is always complaining about airflow, gotta have the right push pull, well the Comos II has room for 15 fans I believe in addition to hard pipe cooling all day, plus it's about 3 inches off the ground so I could put it over my AC vent which pumps out ice cold air, and like I said I know a custom painted one I can get for tree fiddy.

airflow isn't nearly as big of an issue as you think it is. The H440, which is regarded as having some of the worst airflow of any case only experiences like a 10c difference between all the panels on vs. off, which while a lot isn't be life changing. 

Also, hardline tubing is actually pretty cheap. The amount of tubing you'd need for a big case vs. a small one shouldn't be more than a $10 difference (soft tubing is more expensive). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

airflow isn't nearly as big of an issue as you think it is. The H440, which is regarded as having some of the worst airflow of any case only experiences like a 10c difference between all the panels on vs. off, which while a lot isn't be life changing.

Also, hardline tubing is actually pretty cheap. The amount of tubing you'd need for a big case vs. a small one shouldn't be more than a $10 difference (soft tubing is more expensive).

after watching Linus lay some hard pipe, it seems pretty easy... Congrats on 10,000 posts, about 50 of them because of my ohio/Florida in decision trait. Lulz (presidential elections, Florida and Ohio... I'm sure you get it)

Well, that's not exactly a fair statement. A console lasts eight years by playing games at <1080p, 30FPS, and low settings. You can easily do that on any eight year old PC hardware. 

For cases... Well, I personally like the more simplistic designs... so my top choices would be: NZXT S340, H440, Corsair 350D, Phanteks Enthoo Pro.

But for less simplistic cases: NZXT Noctis 450, Phantoms, Corsair 760T/780T, C70, Air 540

Then there's the cases I like, but would never buy due to not wanting to pay up -- Lian Li and inWin

Just to be clear, even an original Xbox can play (the games designed for it) games at 1080i (1920x1080 30FPS)-with a scart to RCA component cable(and a HDMI adapter as well). While lacking in the"ooohhhh pretty" department that AAA publishers are focusing on, gameplay is still very good compared to newer consoles and with what you can do-if your stuck without a media centre/gaming pc for a long time old man Xbox can tide you over for 10+ years until your big upgrade.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just to be clear, even an original Xbox can play (the games designed for it) games at 1080i (1920x1080 30FPS)-with a scart to RCA component cable(and a HDMI adapter as well). While lacking in the"ooohhhh pretty" department that AAA publishers are focusing on, gameplay is still very good compared to newer consoles and with what you can do-if your stuck without a media centre/gaming pc for a long time old man Xbox can tide you over for 10+ years until your big upgrade.

However a lot of console games aren't even designed to run at 1080. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

However a lot of console games aren't even designed to run at 1080. 

I know, which is why I reckon that its funny that the original Xbox does it at all in even some games. Its specs are far lower than any modern console.

PMSL

I know, which is why I reckon that its funny that the original Xbox does it at all in even some games. Its specs are far lower than any modern console.

Well, those 360 games also don't look all too good. I was playing Black Ops 2 on my PS3 the other day while I was reinstalling windows on my ssd, and it looked downright awful.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Well, those 360 games also don't look all too good. 

*sigh* the Original Xbox is still reigning supreme as the best Xbox ever made (the 360 loses out a lot due to all of the problems it had at launch and afterwards-it also loses out on build quality just like the Xbone).

PMSL

*sigh* the Original Xbox is still reigning supreme as the best Xbox ever made (the 360 loses out a lot due to all of the problems it had at launch and afterwards-it also loses out on build quality just like the Xbone).

sir I have an Xbox one and evolve looks fantastic on it, also ryes sone of Rome looked badass I'm sure 4K Über settings on PC looks better but still Xbone is good if you don't have a Über 4k PC with Titan x or SLI 908 TI

sir I have an Xbox one and evolve looks fantastic on it, also ryes sone of Rome looked badass I'm sure 4K Über settings on PC looks better but still Xbone is good if you don't have a Über 4k PC with Titan x or SLI 908 TI

Which is why it took so many years to get past my Pentium III desktop (which was actually weaker than the Xbox on the CPU side of things-and maybe on the GPU side as well-which is the main reason I bought it-cheaper than my desktop and it played games better-however the same can't be said for the 360 or Xbone).

PMSL

Which is why it took so many years to get past my Pentium III desktop (which was actually weaker than the Xbox on the CPU side of things-and maybe on the GPU side as well-which is the main reason I bought it-cheaper than my desktop and it played games better-however the same can't be said for the 360 or Xbone).

so we're in agreement that the Xbone is not worthless and of course glorious PC master race, right?

@Atmos @djdwosk97 @overtomperson @WereCat I appreciate the advice and insight, PC gaming is the best form of gaming, but at a price. You need to keep up with the industry to some extent maybe every 2 years upgrade a component or two in your rig, vs console gaming where you're good for 8+ years. One last thing from you guys and I'll leave you alone, hahaha, know of any PC cases that don't look completely square and generic? Tell me that and I'll let you be and let the pascal argument die.

I love the Throne-G, phantom series, level 10, and Base 800 (the case i have now)

Im not a fan of black boxes w/o at least a bit of nice design to them so I try to keep up to date with what new releases are out.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

so we're in agreement that the Xbone is not worthless and of course glorious PC master race, right?

Oh the Xbone is still worthless. Its the Original Xbox that isn't worthless as its from the days of the PC peasants. Kind of like my desktop is from the modern times of the console peasant (times change-maybe if Microsoft went for a custom CPU and dGPU we might end up with a console player games better than a more expensive PC).

PMSL

Oh the Xbone is still worthless. Its the Original Xbox that isn't worthless as its from the days of the PC peasants. Kind of like my desktop is from the modern times of the console peasant (times change-maybe if Microsoft went for a custom CPU and dGPU we might end up with a console player games better than a more expensive PC).

so the ps4 is worthless too right?

so the ps4 is worthless too right?

Compared to the PS2 yes.

PMSL

Compared to the PS2 yes.

either you hate everything below the PC or not, if the Xbox One is worthless and the ps4 isn't, then your biased

either you hate everything below the PC or not, if the Xbox One is worthless and the ps4 isn't, then your biased

Correction, I think any consoles (except the Wii) after the PS2 and Xbox are worthless as when they were launched you could build a better PC for less. The days of true gaming consoles are over (if Nintendo goes belly up).

PMSL

Correction, I think any consoles (except the Wii) after the PS2 and Xbox are worthless as when they were launched you could build a better PC for less. The days of true gaming consoles are over (if Nintendo goes belly up).

Well, there are still other advantages to a console. 

-less error prone (than windows for example) 

-FAR superior local multiplayer experiences 

-Guaranteed to work without tinkering (and give everyone an equal playing field)

-exclusives 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Well, there are still other advantages to a console. 

-less error prone (than windows for example) 

-FAR superior local multiplayer experiences 

-Guaranteed to work without tinkering (and give everyone an equal playing field)

-exclusives 

You get all of those with the older consoles, and exclusives are only there to sell the consoles.

PMSL

You get all of those with the older consoles, and exclusives are only there to sell the consoles.

it took years for gears of war to come to PC and even so I cherish the time I had with it. Crackdown was one of the most badass games ever and I would've missed it had I not of had an Xbox,mass effect? One of the greatest sci if stories ever would've missed if I hadn't had an Xbox, now on the contrary, SWTOR is one of the greatest story games (because a lot of the original mass effect and argon age origins writers wrote the story) and I would've missed that if I didn't have a PC, but @djdwosk97 is right, plug the console in and you're done, PC? Holy fucking shit...

it took years for gears of war to come to PC and even so I cherish the time I had with it. Crackdown was one of the most badass games ever and I would've missed it had I not of had an Xbox,mass effect? One of the greatest sci if stories ever would've missed if I hadn't had an Xbox, now on the contrary, SWTOR is one of the greatest story games (because a lot of the original mass effect and argon age origins writers wrote the story) and I would've missed that if I didn't have a PC, but @djdwosk97 is right, plug the console in and you're done, PC? Holy fucking shit...

With my Xbox I don't even need disks. 48 games on 1 123GB partition, with another 98GB free.

Edit: Just started Dxbx and most of my Xbox games can be emulated (I backed them all up onto my computer).

Edit 2: This is why an Xbox Original (or modded PS2 with HDD) are the pinnacle of consoles, games stored on the console and emulation:

post-155575-0-93227900-1441495989_thumb.

PMSL

With my Xbox I don't even need disks. 48 games on 1 123GB partition, with another 98GB free.

Edit: Just started Dxbx and most of my Xbox games can be emulated (I backed them all up onto my computer).

yeah but @djdwosk97 is right about exclusives, they are not just there to sell consoles like you said, some are worthy of your time and the purchase of a console.

Mechassault is my jam tho. Masterchief collection gives me halo 2 multiplayer which was the pinnacle of Xbox original.

Mechassault is my jam tho. Masterchief collection gives me halo 2 multiplayer which was the pinnacle of Xbox original.

I bought Halo 2 for my laptop to continue playing online (I may have had an old desktop, but my laptop managed light gaming even with its Quadro NVS110M).

PMSL

The thing is that waiting till 2016 is thinking of it was worth the wait. If you buy now with X99 and two 980 Tis/ Fury Xs, and all of a sudden Skylake-E and Zen plus Pascal/Arctic Islands completely kicks the ass of any rig from 2015, you can't help but feel that you should have waited. Same goes if you waited and the new tech doesn't rally improve. I would really just wait. At least it's going to be faster either way. If you need it ASAP and you're going to get fired, go get X99 and Maxwell/Fiji.

"The REVISED Companion Cube, v2.1" - "1440p, lock on." Discover it by clicking here.   // Peripherals - Corsair Strafe RGB  + Steelseries Rival

CPU - i7-6700k // Motherboard - ASRock Z170 Extreme 6+ // CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i GTX // Memory - 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4-2133 (2x8GB) // Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 120GB + Seagate Barracuda 1TB // Graphics - Crossfire Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X // PSU -  EVGA SuperNova G2 850W // Case - Corsair Carbide Air 540 (Steel) // Devices - iPhone 6 Plus, Macbook Pro //