Let's Put This to Rest: Build Über 4K PC NOW OR WAIT for Pascal / Arcitc Island DIRECT X12 vs MANTLE?

The monitor looks good, although imo not worth the price premium (but then again, no ultrawide is imo). If rendering speeds are critical -- i.e. if it's for a job, then get a 5960x, otherwise, I'd stick with a 5820k. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

The monitor looks good, although imo not worth the price premium (but then again, no ultrawide is imo). If rendering speeds are critical -- i.e. if it's for a job, then get a 5960x, otherwise, I'd stick with a 5820k.

wtf I thought 21:9 was the ultimate gaming monitor right now

Yep. Until Skylake goes to the X99 platform (which probably requires a new socket since it doesn't have Haswell's FIVR) its pretty much worthless.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

wtf I thought 21:9 was the ultimate gaming monitor right now

Ultrawides are amazing, I'd love to have one, but I just don't think they're worth the money -- I'd rather take two normal monitors over one ultrawide -- which will usually cost about the same amount but give you more space, plus allows you to  use the two monitors for completely independent tasks -- play games on one and use the other for other things. 

Did Ivy-E/Sandy-E have FIVR? is it possible that Intel might regress back to 2011 non-v3, or was there some other changes made that probably wouldn't get undone (I find it hard to believe they would backtrack to an old socket even if it was possible anyway, so my question is largely irrelevant). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Ultrawides are amazing, I'd love to have one, but I just don't think they're worth the money -- I'd rather take two normal monitors over one ultrawide -- which will usually cost about the same amount but give you more space, plus allows you to  use the two monitors for completely independent tasks -- play games on one and use the other for other things.

@ I concede the monitor argument. However, I'm a stickler for new tech, so Skylake sounds great to, but I understand 5960x is boss status, now let's get to the motherboard bit, you recommended a non rog one, also your GPU sucks (wosk) why you way down at a 780? Also what about ram MHz is the price premium of 3200 worth it over 2400

@ I concede the monitor argument. However, I'm a stickler for new tech, so Skylake sounds great to, but I understand 5960x is boss status, now let's get to the motherboard bit, you recommended a non rog one, also your GPU sucks (wosk) why you way down at a 780? Also what about ram MHz is the price premium of 3200 worth it over 2400

Higher frequency RAM is largely irrelevant in 99% of tasks, don't bother with it. 

I could use a new 980Ti, wanna buy me one? 

In terms of rendering performance: 5960x >>> 5820k >>> 6700k/4790k, and in terms of gaming performance, Haswell-E is just as good as a 4790k/6700k assuming you can overclock it to 4.4ghz+ levels. There really is no compelling reason to go for Skylake considering it's only a bit cheaper than X99, and a lot more than Haswell but offers nothing more than a couple percent more performance than Haswell. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

My eyes hurt glazing over info and can't find a definitive answer. I've used the search in this forum and many others and its 50/50, some people claim that the performance boost from say TITAN Z to PASCAL Equivalent won't be noticeable, others say it will be groundbreaking. Same for AMD.

I need a desktop for work and play and it's got to be 4K video editing, HQ audio editing and gaming capable.

HOWEVER! If Pascal is going to be legendary 32GB of VRAM and 8K gaming, then I'll wait! (WHEN IS PASCAL / ARCTIC ISLAND COMING OUT NEXT YEAR? Spring?)

What say you Linus Forum? Drop $3,000USD on a desktop now or make it $4,000USD next year? (People who look like they can help - no offense to anyone not tagged) @Majestic @applesuxD @djdwosk97 @SkilledRebuilds @ @rentaspoon @Aniallation

wait for pascal (and price drops of the older products) and then decide what is right for you

Bit late to the party due to sleeping but..

If you really care about 4k, then I'd say wait since the next generation will probably be more geared toward 4k (plus 4k monitors will be cheaper). Alternatively, next gen GPUs will probably only be one notch faster than this generation (which would be enough at the high end to support 4k) -- so a 1080 would be like a 980Ti, and so on (that's generally how things go from generation to generation -- usually <20% improvements at best).

This is how I feel, current hardware will be cheaper, more 4k monitor choices and hopefully better GPUs

true, your knowledge of the mantle vs direct x12 war? @WereCat @Atmos

Mantle served its purpose to get dx12 out of the door and it worked. AMD are very good at getting competition to try hard, just look at Nvidia and the 980ti, AMD forced Nvidia to come out with that.

Mantle is dead, so I assume you're referring to AMD being superior in DX12 games. Well, I have no idea, and anyone who claims to have any legitimate idea is either full of them self or lying. Unless you happen to understand the actual engineering behind both GPU architectures (and how they work -- i.e. they have the capability to design their own GPU) then I wouldn't put much faith in their opinion.

Some leaked results seem to point to AMD being superior, but with no real benchmarks to go by it's really impossible to say (not to mention we're still in the infancy of DX12 anyway).

PCPer have legitimate benchmarks from ashes of singularity but all it shows is Nvidia's dx12 drivers aren't ready BUT the dx11 drivers are as good as AMDs dx12.

All that tells me is wait a few more months as Nvidia needs to optimise a bit more or (as with most things) Dx12 was over hyped.

4K is already here and honestly prices of 4K monitors is cheaper then the 2K they are pushing. Get a top end AMD or Nvidia card and turn your setting down 1 from Ultra. I run 4K between 50 to 60 on my monitor fine>

Bit late to the party due to sleeping but..

This is how I feel, current hardware will be cheaper, more 4k monitor choices and hopefully better GPUs

Mantle served its purpose to get dx12 out of the door and it worked. AMD are very good at getting competition to try hard, just look at Nvidia and the 980ti, AMD forced Nvidia to come out with that.

PCPer have legitimate benchmarks from ashes of singularity but all it shows is Nvidia's dx12 drivers aren't ready BUT the dx11 drivers are as good as AMDs dx12.

All that tells me is wait a few more months as Nvidia needs to optimise a bit more or (as with most things) Dx12 was over hyped.

i think I'm gonna wait until pascal comes out and then it's on baby, that'll give me time to save up a war chest......

By then a

L the fallout 4 mods will be out, all the metal gear 5 secrets will be uncovered and battlefront will have been patched 1time, lulz

Skylake is only marginally faster than Haswell 

Look at games that are actually IPC/CPU intensive. No offense to the guys at pcper, techreport or hardware.info. But their choice of games is abysmal.

fc4.png

gta5.png

w3.png

pc_c.png

It also kicks ass in DX12;

ashesheavy-r9390x.png

Overclocking

b4.png

fc4.png

gta5.png

w3.png

pc_c.png

GET BUILD ASAP

Oh. I havent noticed that there is monitor included.

Nevermind then. You could still definitely save around $400 by going with some cheaper components like case, motherboard, .. etc but that depends on what you really want. Personaly I dont see reason to go with over $200 motherboard but if you want to go full out on this PC it is understandable.

true, your knowledge of the mantle vs direct x12 war? @WereCat @Atmos

Mantle has been incorporated into directx 12 in some aspects. Just as free sync was made a vesa standard.

We don't know yet for sure how directx12 will change performance, or at least how much it will affect both companies. Mathematically AMD has more powerful cores, so if directx12 means less overhead and better async. utilization then amd should get a nice boost to performance over nvidia. So, in my professional opinion the Fury X will perform better than the 980ti by some noticeable margin by the time Direct X12 is being used widely. It will perform still not as well at 1080p, but at 4k where it matters it will perform better. This is the reason I spent $690 on a Fury X at the beginning of August for 4k gaming.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

It also kicks ass in DX12;

ashesheavy-r9390x.png

**I've decided!**

Do me a colossal favor, build me a SUPER CHEAP PC with 17-6700k being the most expensive part, then when pascal 16gb VRAM GPU comes out I'll upgrade. Include a dirt cheap 1080p monitor and I'll drop $1,000 on a curved 4k gsync one in 2016 sound good? @djdwosk97 @ @WereCat @Atmos

**I've decided!**

Do me a colossal favor, build me a SUPER CHEAP PC with 17-6700k being the most expensive part, then when pascal 16gb VRAM GPU comes out I'll upgrade. Include a dirt cheap 1080p monitor and I'll drop $1,000 on a curved 4k gsync one in 2016 sound good? @djdwosk97 @ @WereCat @Atmos

I still don't see the reasoning behind waiting. If you get into the waiting game you'll get never out of it.

I'd still say, get the Fury X now, and a decent ips 4k panel like the Dell P2715Q for 520$ and be done with it. 

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

**I've decided!**

The problem with waiting is that you'll end up spending more in the long run and therefore wasting part of your budget. The way things stand at the moment, just get everything except the graphics card since you want to wait for Pascal. Don't forget that a 4K 60Hz display can also be used at lower resolutions. Just use your previous parts list minus the Titan X and add a 4K display.

PMSL

Remember that one time people said HBM would be groundbreaking, and it was one of the biggest flops ever? "OMG FURY X WITH HBM WILL BE AMAZING, 400000 FPS SINGLE CARD 4K"  >gets it's ass whooped by 980 ti 90% of the time... ESPECIALLY when overclocked.

Buy stuff now if you have the money, why wait 1-2 years for enjoyment, when you can get 80-90% of the same performance NOW?

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Remember that one time people said HBM would be groundbreaking, and it was one of the biggest flops ever? "OMG FURY X WITH HBM WILL BE AMAZING, 400000 FPS SINGLE CARD 4K" >gets it's ass whooped by 980 ti 90% of the time... ESPECIALLY when overclocked.

Buy stuff now if you have the money, why wait 1-2 years for enjoyment, when you can get 80-90% of the same performance NOW?

@ @Atmos you guys confuse Me, we're talking a single GPU with more VRAM than a Titan x or z and integrated dx12. 4K 144hz gsync right out of the box that's a serious GPU, what if they come out with a new Über motherboard, and I told you they don't have a 4K curved gsync monitor anywhere it doesn't exist, besides I have to wait for all the good fallout 4 mods and all the servers @ dice to crash for battlefront before I can "enjoy" PC gaming. So by February more pascal info will be out and the other stuff too...

**You guys have been PC gaming a lot longer than I, how do you feel when they come out with brand new motherboards, and new ram, new monitors, new GPU's, etc.? Aren't you pissed you just upgraded last year? Does it drive you insane? How do you keep your system state of the art???!?!?!**

*****Shouldn't I get the Comos II case now, that way later when I want to add More HDDs and hard pipe cooling, I'll have room?****

@ @Atmos you guys don't make any since, we're talking a single GPU with more VRAM than a Titan x or z and integrated dx12. 4K 144hz gsync right t of the box that's a serious GPU, what if they come out with a new motherboard, and I told you they don't have a 4K curved gsync monitor anywhere it doesn't exist, besides I have to wait for all the good fallout 4 mods and all the servers @ dice to crash for battlefront before I can "enjoy" PC gaming. So by February more pascal info will be out.

*****Shodnt I get the Comos II case now, that way later when I want to add More HDDs and hard pipe cooling, I'll have room?****

In that case, your previous parts list, cheap monitor, stick with what ever your using now for your graphics card and wait for Pascal.

PMSL

I updated the post you quoted with a question.

I only upgraded from a Pentium III 667, 256MB RAM and a Riva TNT2 at the start of last year, to a GTX 970 at the end of last year, and an i7 4790K+Z97 mobo last month. I only upgrade when I need to and when I want to squeeze as much as I possibly can from my rigs-so I'm never part of the rapid upgrade cycle. And you probably should buy the Cosmos II case now, it will save hassles in the future. 

PMSL

I only upgraded from a Pentium III 667, 256MB RAM and a Riva TNT2 at the start of last year, to a GTX 970 at the end of last year, and an i7 4790K+Z97 mobo last month. I only upgrade when I need to and when I want to squeeze as much as I possibly can from my rigs-so I'm never part of the rapid upgrade cycle. And you probably should buy the Cosmos II case now, it will save hassles in the future.

but it's in a class of its own, it'll compensate for things..... Plus it looks badass, and I know of a custom painted one I can get for tree fiddy

but it's in a class of its own, it'll compensate for things..... Plus it looks badass, and I know of a custom painted one I can get for tree fiddy

As I said, get the case now. Your going to end up with either way so why wait? (offline for a while until I finish playing with my new favourite OS-Windows Vista 64 bit Service Pack 2)

PMSL

As I said, get the case now. Your going to end up with either way so why wait? (offline for a while until I finish playing with my new favourite OS-Windows Vista 64 bit Service Pack 2)

i just don't understand why most people hate it, it's got room for like 15 fans all the hard pipe liquid cooling you couldwant and room for what 14 HDDs and it's not yr typical square tower like literally every other desktop in existence. Some say bad airflow, how could it have bad air flow?

i just don't understand why most people hate it, it's got room for like 15 fans all the hard pipe liquid cooling you couldwant and room for what 14 HDDs and it's not yr typical square tower like literally every other desktop in existence. Some say bad airflow, how could it have bad air flow?

Because it's ugly/overpriced. (Also, most people aren't limited by their case when it comes to how many HDDs they have).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler