Report claims ad blocking is costing an estimated $21.8 billion in 2015

Rekx

adblocking.jpg?itok=sNf8kjP4

A report has found that the use of ad blockers has grown 41 percent in the past year and estimates it will cost the industry $21.8 billion globally in lost advertising revenue in 2015. It goes on to warn that the software now poses a significant threat to the future of free content on the web.

‘The cost of ad blocking’ study from PageFair and Adobe said that almost 200 million monthly internet users are now deploying browser extensions that block ads. It went on to say that sites targeted at "young, technically savvy, or more male audiences" are the most affected by ad blockers.

The rate of ad blocking varies country by country. The US has an estimated 45 million monthly active ad block users - still some way behind Europe's 77 million users. Greece has the highest rate of ad block usage in Europe, with 36.7% of internet users in the country utilizing the software.

Sean Blanchfield, the co-founder and chief executive at PageFair, said: "It is tragic that ad block users are inadvertently inflicting multi-billion dollar losses on the very websites they most enjoy. With ad blocking going mobile, there’s an eminent threat that the business model that has supported the open web for two decades is going to collapse." The report explains that the use of ad blockers, which are still primarily found on desktop and laptop browsers, has started to spread to mobile devices in Asia. T

he trend is likely to increase worldwide in September, as Apple plans to introduce ad blocking support to the Safari mobile browser for iOS 9.

Opinion:

I admit, i use adblock. Though i whitelist all youtube channels i'm subbed to. The same goes for forums i visit often.  

News Source: http://www.techspot.com/news/61701-report-claims-ad-blocking-cost-industry-estimated-218.html

Adblock Report: http://blog.pagefair.com/2015/ad-blocking-report/

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

It is tragic that ad block users are inadvertently inflicting multi-billion dollar losses on the very websites they most enjoy. With ad blocking going mobile, there’s an eminent threat that the business model that has supported the open web for two decades is going to collapse."

is that a joke? how much money does facebook and google make off ads? LOL sorry. will neverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr disable ad block

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

Agressive and unwanted ads deserve adblock treatment :)

The only ads i honestly respect are movie ads that i havent seen gazilion times.

Find the way to deliver "wanted" ads or at most 5 sec long ads (youtube etc.) and i will not need adblock for youtube.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

instead of spending time on the main problem which is the ads them selves, they blame the users.

if we get well made, short, well targeted and interesting ads then i bet lots of us would consider turning off ad block on the sites that will give us such ads.

It is tragic that ad block users are inadvertently inflicting multi-billion dollar losses on the very websites they most enjoy. With ad blocking going mobile, there’s an eminent threat that the business model that has supported the open web for two decades is going to collapse."

is that a joke? how much money does facebook and google make off ads? LOL sorry. will neverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr disable ad block

There's been adblock for android for a while now. Though it needs a proxy running.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

instead of spending time on the main problem which is the ads them selves, they blame the users.

if we get well made, short, well targeted and interesting ads then i bet lots of us would consider turning off ad block on the sites that will give us such ads.

Indeed. When i watched some of Linus old videos, i got the same ad, over and over again. The worst part was that the ad was 3 min long...

Just a small point - your link here has an extraneous apostrophe on the end, which causes a 404.

On topic: Ad blocking is a security measure too, these days, not just a statement against the intrusiveness of the ads themselves. All it takes is one poisoned advert on a large advertising network and you can infect a significant number of machines. I wonder how much malvertising is estimated to cost...

Personally, I quite like the way the adverts are integrated into LTT videos. They're short and relevant, and because they're in the videos themselves (i.e. not as bumpers) advertisers know they're more likely to be seen.

Just a small point - your link here has an extraneous apostrophe on the end, which causes a 404.

Haha xD, sorry about that :P

They deserves to lose billions if they keep forcing those annoying and aggressive ads.

They only have themselves to blame.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

I would argue it's the websites that put adverts everywhere to the point that it intrudes on your web browsing, causing people to download adblock, which costs the ad buisness 22bn a year. 

Ad block on, always.

The only things I disable ad block for are the youtube channels for Vet Ranch, Big Cat Rescue and LTT.

Everything else, everywhere is ad blocked.

I never used Adblock and never will. Just to lazy for it.

However I still laugh when I see a Msi 980Ti ad from the same webshop were I bought it.  :rolleyes:

My Magic Actions youtube plugin blocks ads, that's the only thing that I block.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

All hail AdBlock!

Most are ridiculous ads on YouTube anyway, so yeah...

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Well i whitelist places like LTT and certain modding forums, but the big reason why i have adblock on is pretty much this.

*opens up website* oh this seems pretty rad *plays video*

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *DRAMATIC SUPER LOUD INCREASED VOLUME NOISE* COOOOOOOOOOMEEEEEEEE SEEEEEEE THIS MOOOOOOOOVIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! @ 9000000000000000000000000000000% VOLUME.

And for a kid with aspergers like me, that type of crap can really stun you pretty hard, and for anyone else with hearing sensitivity. and also there was an advert on youtube i heard was pretty bad for people with anxiety issues too (something to do with a horror movie) and i think it probably was pulled down because of complaints.

I don't mind having commercials on a site as long as they are responsible about it.

Like not covering up about 50% of the webpage, or Playing EXTREMELY LOUDLY or Suddenly, Plus good commercials can always add a bit of nice aesthetic.

Like i have a gigabyte z170 board commercial under this post. and i have to admit with the night theme on it looks pretty neat :). commercials should be done like that, good enough that it draws you to them, instead of them throwing themselves at your face

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD

Isn't it not really a "cost?" Rather, it's just a loss or cost of potential earnings.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Isn't it not really a "cost?" Rather, it's just a loss or cost of potential earnings.

Yep, it's the same retarded rhetoric from the piracy numbers: Every single pirate would have been translated into a sale because somehow, without piracy the latest cod would have sold 50 million extra copies and such.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I turn off adblock on sites that I frequent that don't have ad's that are obnoxious (sound or screen filling) or if they just have a lot of them and increase page load times.

It's 2015 already and we're still getting our ads shoved down our throat like we're watching television.

Seriously, ads don't matter in a world with Google. Oh, you want to buy that new graphics card? Here are 50 review/comparison sites that answer your question perfectly fine. No need for intrusive banners and interruptive videos to pop up and annoy the shit out of me.

Ye ole' train

Find the way to deliver "wanted" ads or at most 5 sec long ads (youtube etc.) and i will not need adblock for youtube.

This. This is why I like Vessel so much and don't use adblock on their website. Their ads are short (~3sec) and to the point. If youtube ads were like that I wouldn't use adblock (ublock in my case haha) on youtube either.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube