Report claims ad blocking is costing an estimated $21.8 billion in 2015

Rekx

Well tell the 'tards in the advertising companies to stop advertising for idiots. Also, your not losing money if you never earned it in the first place.

Edit: And I only liked the opinion in the OP, not the article written for the advertising 'tards.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Maybe if the ads didn't suck, 

If they didn't suck i wouldn't block them.

if ads got good no one would know because everyone is blocking them

The weird kid in the corner eating glue
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” - Stephen King

if ads got good no one would know because everyone is blocking them

my parents pay for cable, i will notice once they get good.

Sites like youtube and facebook CANT add a subscription plan as it would loose money rather than having no ads, and theres no reason to use vulgar language against people who arent using it to taunt you, please treat others with respect and respect will be given in return :)

What adblockers don't or even refuse to understand is that these more annoying and more obtrusive ads are a near direct result of your actions, because fewer people are viewing ads, ads have to get bigger to outweigh it. Because you are blocking ads, users who don't are affected and content creators are affected. In the long wrong, adblockers are a bigger, more annoying problem than the companies publishing ads in the first place.

I'd show more respect to adblockers if they didn't already appear to have a lack of for everybody else.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Sites like youtube and facebook CANT add a subscription plan as it would loose money rather than having no ads

Sites like youtube and facebook would not exist without showing advertisements. On the other side of the fence you have Netflix, which would not exist without charging a monthly fee. User generated content is easier to monetize with ads, while professional content requires a more stable income to guarantee continued content. That's why we are seeing successful youtubers looking to Vessel as a the next business step. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

If the YouTube ads weren't massive long pre-rolls and were instead just the old banner at the bottom of the video style, then I wouldn't use Adblock, as well as if places like techradar etc where they have an excessive amount of ads taking up every ounce of free space that causes my laptop to go into meltdown and often freeze up. Adblock is something that I use everywhere besides for those places where I do want to show support for, such as here, on certain YouTube channels and on places like the nexus. Everywhere else can go and get lost as they don't help themselves, having too much of a good thing. I'm all for ads to support free content, but I wish companies would make the ads relevant, appealing and unobtrusive instead of shoving random shit down our throats.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

What adblockers don't or even refuse to understand is that these more annoying and more obtrusive ads are a near direct result of your actions, because fewer people are viewing ads, ads have to get bigger to outweigh it. Because you are blocking ads, users who don't are affected and content creators are affected. In the long wrong, adblockers are a bigger, more annoying problem than the companies publishing ads in the first place.

I'd show more respect to adblockers if they didn't already appear to have a lack of for everybody else.

Not sure what your point was beacuse of your lack of proper grammar, but i think you meant that adblockers are worse than the companies trying to force ads on us? I think you should have a little peek at that link in your signature ;)

Sites like youtube and facebook would not exist without showing advertisements. On the other side of the fence you have Netflix, which would not exist without charging a monthly fee.

They need ads, and im ok with ads, in small proportions, but when they pop up and take up huge chunks of the webpage and wont let me play a video untill ive watched it, thats over the line.

Not sure what your point was beacuse of your lack of proper grammar, but i think you meant that adblockers are worse than the companies trying to force ads on us? I think you should have a little peek at that link in your signature ;)

"I can't argue because I'm in the wrong anyway, so I might as well correct him elsewhere."

At least that's what I read.

Don't criticize one's grammer if yours isn't perfect.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

MFW im a part of the statistic of people losing money

759.gif

MFW atleast some of the users in this thread contributed to the F@H or Boinc teams

1b2f68331ad6aab900efe7b0b7eb6447.gif

Not supporting at all is kinda poopy - being really good members of the community, being a contributor, supporting folding/poinc teams, etc are all great ways of being awesome if you just REALLY don't like our ads which honestly I don't feel are all that intrusive but.. anways

if sites don't have intrusive annoying pop up ads or have multiple video ads all over the place, I might not have use adblock.  Maybe they should figure out WHY people are blocking ads instead of blaming them in the first place???

"I can't argue because I'm in the wrong anyway, so I might as well correct him elsewhere."

At least that's what I read.

Don't criticize one's grammer if yours isn't perfect.

Point out an incorrect word in my previous sentence. Also your post didnt make any sense, you were just rambling on about how people who use adblock are bad people...

They need ads, and im ok with ads, in small proportions, but when they pop up and take up huge chunks of the webpage and wont let me play a video untill ive watched it, thats over the line.

That sounds pretty entitled though. It's not like the internet or youtube is a human Right that you deserve access to. Youtube is a business that provides a service, and the transaction to access that service involves your time/attention (and data being harvested) instead of your money. Saying that a pre-roll ad is over the line seems odd, considering the only precedent before youtube was television - which shows 1/3 commercials and 2/3 content. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Just a small point - your link here has an extraneous apostrophe on the end, which causes a 404.

On topic: Ad blocking is a security measure too, these days, not just a statement against the intrusiveness of the ads themselves. All it takes is one poisoned advert on a large advertising network and you can infect a significant number of machines. I wonder how much malvertising is estimated to cost...

Personally, I quite like the way the adverts are integrated into LTT videos. They're short and relevant, and because they're in the videos themselves (i.e. not as bumpers) advertisers know they're more likely to be seen.

Your telling me. I picked up a nasty little registry virus from my mouse moving over an ad. Didn't even have to click on it, just scrolling over it caused the file to download in the background, and modify my registry. If I had been running adblock at the time, it wouldn't have happened, but alas, I was on Kissanime earlier so had it paused. Anyway, only took a restart to get rid of, thanks volatile memory, so it wasn't an issue, and Avast stopped it from opening IE after it infected me, so it couldn't download more.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

I feel like a lot of people here are exagerating the intrusivness of ads. I got rid of it completley, and it hasn't made my experience of the web worse.

I don't like advertising. I avoid watching live TV because of it and I block it where I can. Some places I let the ads appear to do what I can to support a website but overall I block.

I disable ad block on sites that don't have obnoxious ads and placement. Maybe if they learned they'd be fine.

Sorry. But Ad block saves me bandwidth and headaches.  :P

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Alpha Microphone: Razer Seiren X

Is there anyway to make "Adblock" only block ads on certain sites? Instead of just auto blocking them unless you whitelist the site?

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

So instead of seeing ads, you would rather websites shut down or force you to a monthly payment subscription to view the site?

Most ad blockers either don't think or are just assholes.

It's not my job to kiss the ass of the websites I use when they put obnoxious advertisements everywhere. If wanting convenience makes me an asshole so be it.

I didn't give a fart about adblock until youtube plastered them everywhere. I think I gave up trying to ignore them by the 500th time that stupid ad for Lucy played.

EDIT: Also this

children-who-are-wrong.jpg

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

That sounds pretty entitled though. It's not like the internet or youtube is a human Right that you deserve access to. Youtube is a business that provides a service, and the transaction to access that service involves your time/attention (and data being harvested) instead of your money. Saying that a pre-roll ad is over the line seems odd, considering the only precedent before youtube was television - which shows 1/3 commercials and 2/3 content. 

What? of course everybody deserves access to the internet. It's already well on it's way to being considered a basic human right, many countries already have it written in law.

The Internet is as much a library as it is a shopping mall. Lets not forget that.

Revenue you were never going to get in the first place is not revenue lost.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

I don't like advertising. I avoid watching live TV because of it and I block it where I can. Some places I let the ads appear to do what I can to support a website but overall I block.

I guess that's why you have the communism symbol as your avatar

MFW im a part of the statistic of people losing money

759.gif

MFW atleast some of the users in this thread contributed to the F@H or Boinc teams

1b2f68331ad6aab900efe7b0b7eb6447.gif

Not supporting at all is kinda poopy - being really good members of the community, being a contributor, supporting folding/poinc teams, etc are all great ways of being awesome if you just REALLY don't like our ads which honestly I don't feel are all that intrusive but.. anways

I may be part of the adblock statistic, but not for sites that I actually want to support (such as LTT-however I still block ad tracking), that reminds me, I really need to get my folding farm up and running again.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL