Report claims ad blocking is costing an estimated $21.8 billion in 2015

Rekx

I don't use the adblock browser extension, but Avast does block some ad tracking. Usually on websites where ads are discrete I won't bother turning them off because they aren't a nuisance (LTT). But on Youtube you can damn well bet I'm blocking those shitty video ads. Seriously it's 2015. I don't want to watch commercials on my PC.

Git Gud.

I don't mind ads because I understand that is where some of their revenue is coming from.  What I do mind are the sites that have ads plastered all over the page where it takes up more then 50% of the page, using up most of my bandwidth on just ads, video ads that auto-plays, ads that tries to download crap on your computer, and ads that redirect you to a completely different page even though you didn't click on it.

Unfortunately what I described above is the perfect description of the majority of websites out there, which is why plugin's like adblock exist.  If they didn't cover their entire page with ads and shove it down our throats, than adblock wouldn't be as popular as it is today. Just sayin

I let Kaspersky take care of malicious ads, and let the rest through. I remember a time before then internet existed, when 20 minutes of television programming came with 10 minutes of unskippable commercials. Most internet ads are mostly white noise, and when youtube videos start playing a 30 second ad before a 2 minute video, just spam the browsers reload button a few times and problem solved.

I do deploy ad block when I'm travelling though, when I have to tether my cell phone data into my laptop. being on a metered/limited data plan is rough with all those ads.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

That's $21.8B spent on something else. I use adblock but disable them on website I visit often like LTT.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

It's 2015 already and we're still getting our ads shoved down our throat like we're watching television.

Seriously, ads don't matter in a world with Google. Oh, you want to buy that new graphics card but can't decide on the brand? Here are 50 review/comparison sites that answer your question perfectly fine. No need for intrusive banners and interruptive videos to pop up and annoy the shit out of me.

Ye ole' train

As of late I've kept Adblock off for Youtube, and I've always kept it off for LTTF, though it's so tempting to turn Adblock back on for Youtube and Vessel because I'm getting tired of seeing an aeropostale ad that isn't on something I'd buy (though I do wear quite a bit of aeropostale shirts, pants, sweatpants, sheatshirts and shorts.)

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Flash ads, ads with sound, flashing banners, malicious ads that inject all kinds of nasty stuff ... no thank you.

Too bad for those few who are selective in what ads they show on their site, but I have zero intention of finding out if it's all trustworthy.  I've set Ghostery to block everything and I'm making no exceptions. 

I don't block ads because I'm too lazy to.

I do wish they would stop making ads as annoying as possible and terrible as possible. Specifically that Flo woman from progressive. I wish someone would kidnap her and just leave her stranded in siberia so I never have to hear her voice, or see those stupid commercials again. Same thing for the two morons in the sonic commercials.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

This whole issue is a viscous circle that will just keep spiraling until everything on the net is paid subscription only.  There are no innocent parties here.

Also business 101 for those who don't quite get it:

A company/small business has to forecast their own budget in order to best allocate funds for investment (an essential part of all business).  Investment might be to buy more servers, put on extra staff, upgrade machinery or whatever is required to continue growth.  Part of that forecast is to calculate revenue.  If some external factor depreciates your revenue from what it would otherwise have been then that lost potential can severely impact the running of a business (because investing to attain said revenue is not optional).  In the case of depreciated ad revenue the website might be able to wear it (like LMG seems to be doing), in other cases not so much.  So while you can't technical call something you didn't physically have as lost, e.g no website has lost revenue, it is still a cost and unless the business is intentionally being fraudulent with it's numbers this is a legitimate concern for business. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Maybe if their ads didn't inject malicious code in my computer, or weren't obnoxiously playing sound in the background, or didn't take up half the page...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I don't block ads because I'm too lazy to.

I do wish they would stop making ads as annoying as possible and terrible as possible. Specifically that Flo woman from progressive. I wish someone would kidnap her and just leave her stranded in siberia so I never have to hear her voice, or see those stupid commercials again. Same thing for the two morons in the sonic commercials.

Your browsing experience is your own, but I just feel the urge to point out... You could have installed 3-4 ad blocking extensions in the time it took you to type up that post, so it's definitely not laziness on your part! Apathy, maybe?

I personally feast on the woe of advertisers so I purposefully install ad blockers wherever I can, all the time, even if it's not my machine.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

Your browsing experience is your own, but I just feel the urge to point out... You could have installed 3-4 ad blocking extensions in the time it took you to type up that post, so it's definitely not laziness on your part! Apathy, maybe?

I personally feast on the woe of advertisers so I purposefully install ad blockers wherever I can, all the time, even if it's not my machine.

Meh. Usually if it's an annoying ad I will refresh the page so it goes away (am I the only one who knows about that?). Although I would LOVE to block the anti smoking ads. They serve no purpose, anyone with a brain knows smoking is bad for you, especially those of us who smoke.

WE KNOW. KNOWING DOESN'T HELP US QUIT, SO GTFO AND FIND SOMETHING MEANINGFUL TO DO WITH YOUR LIVES >.<

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Usually if it's an annoying ad I will refresh the page so it goes away (am I the only one who knows about that?).

I didn't know about that, but only because I have no ads at alllllllllll wheeeeeeeeeeeeee! *cartwheels naked across the Internet*

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

I don't block ads because I want to support content creators like LMG

Well maybe if the ads didn't track me and look at everything I do then I wouldn't be blocking them.

TV commercials are annoying, but at least they don't track me.

There's also another side to the conversation. The bandwidth the consumer has to waste/use/pay for, when loading the ads. It can be up to 40% less bytes downloaded when video ads are used, 25% otherwise. If I'm on a 2Gig/month mobile plan, I don't want to get an 'effective' plan of 1.75Gigs.

Nor do I want to wait an extra 20+% when I have slow internet. Fuck ads.

source: http://www.sfu.ca/content/dam/sfu/snfchs/pdfs/Adblock.Plus.Study.pdf

Ensure a job for life: https://github.com/Droogans/unmaintainable-code

Actual comment I found in legacy code: // WARNING! SQL injection here!

Good. Fucking annoying ads popping all the time and those autoplay video ads annoys me so much. I could not last a day without having ad block. If they could dumb down the ads in the sites, then I would gladly turn if off. But for now? Nahhhh

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

When I no longer need to activate Flash or Javascript to view the ad and when they stop trying to load tracking cookies on my PC, I'll disable ad-block.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I suddenly don't give a shit again

Sally: l Intel i5 4690k | | Corsair H55 | | Zalman z12 plus | | Hitachi 2TB HDD | | Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB | | ASRock Fatal1ty z97 Killer | | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | | EVGA SuperNova 750 watt | | MSI 390 | | Windows 10| 

#REKT

Eat it stupid companies! You made the ads worse and worse and this is what you get!

It's their own fault. They are the cause of this, i don't feel sorry for them. 

There are exeptions, i do whitelist sites i like, i want to support them. 

There is 1 exeption to the exeption, and that's vessel. I mean come on! I get ads and you are expecting me to pay for it?! Really?!

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Good, i cant stand ads, stop forcing them down our throats!

So instead of seeing ads, you would rather websites shut down or force you to a monthly payment subscription to view the site?

Most ad blockers either don't think or are just assholes.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

G_G

Proud AdBlock user and dont plan on stopping anytime soon, ads are just fucking obnoxious on the internet.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Banner ads and maybe 30 sec ads before videos, I'm ok with that.  I even prefer the integrated ads (like what linus does) even more, that way its usually somewhat relevant, and if its an ad I've already seen I can skip it.

But the extremely intrusive ads on websites (pop up ads), or the ridiculous amount of ads on a somewhat long video is what drives me to use adblock.

Wish Youtube would have a Twitch Turbo equivalent, then I wouldn't mind ditching adblock all together.

So instead of seeing ads, you would rather websites shut down or force you to a monthly payment subscription to view the site?

Most ad blockers either don't think or are just assholes.

Sites like youtube and facebook CANT add a subscription plan as it would loose money rather than having no ads, and theres no reason to use vulgar language against people who arent using it to taunt you, please treat others with respect and respect will be given in return :)