RIAA Asks BitTorrent Inc. To Block Infringing Content With A Hash Filter

jos
Attached is a subset of the list of verified hashes of files of our members' works that have and are likely continuing to be infringed via BitTorrent, Inc.'s products and services. We are willing to establish a process to share the hashes with BitTorrent, Inc. on a regular basis so that BitTorrent, Inc. can use the information to deter further infringement of those files via its goods and services. We also know of several companies that offer services to help identify infringing torrent sites and files that may be useful in helping BitTorrent, Inc. deter piracy through BitTorrent, Inc.'s products and services.To quote Mr. Mason yet again, "We don't endorse piracy." If that is indeed your business philosophy, then we believe it is only right and proper for BitTorrent, Inc. to take steps to reduce their facilitation of infringement. We look forward to hearing from you on next steps.

I dont know they might have mistaken BitTorrent protocol with BitTorrent Inc. It's not hard to see where this is heading. The RIAA is likely looking to set the stage for a lawsuit arguing that BitTorrent Inc. is somehow "inducing" copyright infringement by not proactively blocking content. RIAA is pointing specifically at apps, such as uTorrent that BitTorrent owns. Assuming, for the sake of argument, that the RIAA gets its way here and BitTorrent is forced to somehow insert a special "YOU ARE A PIRATE!" filter into uTorrent, two things would happen almost immediately: 1. People would quickly create slightly modified versions of works to get around the hashes and 2. people would move to other BitTorrent clients -- coming from companies that are not willing to work with the entertainment industry and are not helping more artists learn how to embrace the technology to make more money and reach more fans.

Source: https://www.scribd.com/doc/273550708/Torrentfreak-Riaa-Bittorrent

https://torrentfreak.com/riaa-asks-bittorrent-inc-to-block-infringing-content-150804/

WlyWV54.png

I don't think they will do anything. who the hell would use it if you can't pirate? if something does happen I guess I will have to sadly say goodbye to good old bittorent and find another client. :(

CPU: i9 19300k////GPU: RTX 4090////RAM: 64gb DDR5 5600mhz ////MOBO: Aorus z790 Elite////MONITORS: 3 LG 38" 3840x1600 WIDESCREEN MONITORS

That's not going to stop anyone. Anyone who knows anything about computers would open the MP3 file in Notepad++ or a binary editor program and change one of the letters/bits

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

nvm the ad in the video just first vid I found of the song

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Sooooo... Would this affect the BitTorrent network as a whole or just the uTorrent client?

EDIT: And right after I posted this I spotted something about this being related to just the uTorrent/BitTorrent clients. I use Deluge, sooooo it's all good for me.

COMIC SANS

By this logic I would then argue that browsers should block the piracy websites. And that Windows itself should block pirated content. Bittorrent is just one of the programs that happens to be used for piracy. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

when will they learn you will not stop piracy, change your antiquated business model and then you will see people buy media again

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

So yeah here is a hash of the content we don't want pirates. Oh wait every freaking pirated copy will probably have a different hash. Ffs

Instead of suing for several times more than a song is actually worth, make content more accessible for others. You'd think the RIAA would have learned the basics of how the Internet works by now.

Pffff Bit torrent and Utorrent. I use Tixati, free, open source, NO ADS.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

qBittorent master race? transmission? anyone? no?

This will not work they are wasting their time, people will switch to other torrent clients in no time.

Piracy is amazing without it internet would be shit and boring.

Why are the music and movie industry so reluctant to learn anything about computers? If they had one competent peorson working in a position where other might actually listen to them they'd know this strategy is stupid.

qBittorent master race? transmission? anyone? no?

This will not work they are wasting their time, people will switch to other torrent clients in no time.

Piracy is amazing without it internet would be shit and boring.

. v7c1kEZ.png

I wonder just how long it will take companies and governments to realize that they can't beat the internet?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

nvm the ad in the video just first vid I found of the song

I think that this is better 

By this logic I would then argue that browsers should block the piracy websites. And that Windows itself should block pirated content. Bittorrent is just one of the programs that happens to be used for piracy. 

Actually by this logic, every time you get in your car you should be asked by it "Are you planning to commit any crimes?" while it records the responses and constantly sends video feed of you in the card to the police without asking, since you can technically use your car and the road to commit crimes.

Yes, RIAA and MPAA suggestions on piracy are this fucking stupid.

-------

Current Rig

-------

The only thing I can think of that could stop piracy is a university network where the university will ban you from the network (and possibly expel you) if you are caught using ANY form of torrenting client.  And they can detect if someone is doing that and track them down based on their machine's IP address, which is linked to their student ID.  The university I am going to has this system :(

The only thing I can think of that could stop piracy is a university network where the university will ban you from the network (and possibly expel you) if you are caught using ANY form of torrenting client. And they can detect if someone is doing that and track them down based on their machine's IP address, which is linked to their student ID. The university I am going to has this system :(

Theirs something called a VPN and mac address spoofing

So if Windows started blocking infringing content, I don't see why you couldn't use other OSs for media consumption and torrenting.

As for applications, it's hit or miss.

Bit Torrent Inc could ONLY block infringing content within their own applications (The official Bit Torrent client, and uTorrent). This would have no impact on the Bit Torrent network as a whole, since Bit Torrent Inc does not (and can not, by design) control it.

A side note, who in their right mind even uses uTorrent anymore? It's a piece of crap, and has been known to include Coin Miners and trojans slipstreamed into the program.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

A side note, who in their right mind even uses uTorrent anymore? It's a piece of crap, and has been known to include Coin Miners and trojans slipstreamed into the program.

Would you mind recommending me one? I'm still in the dark...