YouTube videos will no longer get stuck at 301+ views

CyberneticTitan

4cXR9vn.png

YouTube videos' view counter famously gets stuck at "301+" views, but that beautifully ambiguous state is going away forever. YouTube announced this morning that it's doing away with 301+ and will start to keep video views more up to date. It's long frozen the counter after 301 so that it can take some time to filter out any fake views from robots, but doing so has meant keeping the counter really imprecise while thousands of legitimate views come in.

YouTube says that it'll now continue to add new views as they happen, as long as it's sure that they're genuine; views that YouTube suspects as coming from bots will be added later if they're cleared. This should help video creators get a better perception of how their video is doing early on, but mostly, it'll mean viewers saying goodbye to knowing that a video is brand new because it's stuck at 301+.

Seems that YouTube's video filtering has become sophisticated enough that they are confident to remove the 301+ pause. Hopefully views are updated as fast like views that haven't yet reached 301+. This update seems to go along with the new YouTube video player format.

A small problem, but good that they fixed it.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Was this really a problem?

I mean, besides the hilarious "How can it only have 301 views when there are 500 likes!" comments...

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Now if they  will let me watch a video, while looking for another video. The Youtube app does it, why not the desktop version? And I don't want to have 2 youtube tabs open in order to do this.

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

The welcome to the 301 club /under will be even more harder to join...

No, it will be just as easy to be under it. Being at 301 doesn't make you a real member of the club.

Now if they  will let me watch a video, while looking for another video. The Youtube app does it, why not the desktop version? And I don't want to have 2 youtube tabs open in order to do this.

They don't have that because everybody but you just uses a new tab.

Well that's fine and dandy, but when are they going to fix things that really matter, like the UI and every element associated with it?

Well that's fine and dandy, but when are they going to fix things that really matter, like the UI and every element associated with it?

They just launched a new UI recently for the player itself. I just started seeing it last night, though I imagine some people have been using it for longer.

Not much different, just a little more "modern" looking, and a few more options combined into the player settings button.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I mean, besides the hilarious "How can it only have 301 views when there are 500 likes!" comments...

It probably was more a problem for their back end and relations with publishers and creators more so than the audience. Up to date stats are quite nice for creators and ad publishers. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

They just launched a new UI recently for the player itself. I just started seeing it last night, though I imagine some people have been using it for longer.

Not much different, just a little more "modern" looking, and a few more options combined into the player settings button.

Menu UI, not video player UI.

The menu system is absolutely atrocious has been needing an overhaul for quite some time now. 

It probably was more a problem for their back end and relations with publishers and creators more so than the audience. Up to date stats are quite nice for creators and ad publishers. 

I was under the impression that the backend stats were more up to date? Often when you search for a video, it shows the "true" view count in the search list, but 301+ when actually playing the video.

Of course, there could be multiple layers to this.

Easy solution:

Make all ads skippable, that way you know someone is actually clicking.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I was under the impression that the backend stats were more up to date? Often when you search for a video, it shows the "true" view count in the search list, but 301+ when actually playing the video.

Of course, there could be multiple layers to this.

The impression I get is that with this is truly a big overhaul of the back end, or perhaps just finally the implementation of an already overhauled back end to the front end. 

And indeed multiple layers and they can just show us what they want and do whatever they want, we don't really know. But I think it is a nice change on the less. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Easy solution:

Make all ads skippable, that way you know someone is actually clicking.

I don't know how view bots generally work, but that sounds like it would be real easy to bypass. I wouldn't be surprised if they also bypass ads too. And in the case there are human view 'bots' that have people doing it, they probably block ads too.

Next maybe they can make it so down voting comments actually does something again.

cool, I guess....

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

nice, first the awesome new player and then such a small but still good update, theyre on a streak right now

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

The "fixing it for creators" point is totally irrelevant since we've had access to realtime view updates for a while lol.

I'll miss 301+. RIP in pepperonis old friend :'(

Menu UI, not video player UI.

The menu system is absolutely atrocious has been needing an overhaul for quite some time now. 

How so? I think it's fine, but I only use youtube to watch videos, so it could be horrid for content creators for all I know.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

How can there be 301 views if there are only 7 million people in the world?