[DEBUNKED] Windows 10 updates can disable pirated games and unauthorized hardware

WolfDeville
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

The new EULA says this yes but it does not apply to Windows 10 itself, only first party apps from Microsoft.

The EULA you can read here.

Section 7.b is what you're looking for.

If you scroll down to the "Covered Services" list you can clearly see that Windows 10 is not listed only a lot of first party Microsoft apps.

The pirated software isnt such a problem. ill just look for free alternatives then. What I dont like is the fact that they'll be able to scan my hard drive any time they want and there is nothing I can do about it. If they can do it then someone will find a way to exploit there program to get at sensitive data people have stored on there pc's. Looks like ill be staying with windows 7/xp for a while longer....

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

So because he doesn't pirate games you think that means he'll be spending $50 on shitty ones? That doesn't even make sense. Just because he doesn't pirate games does NOT mean he doesn't read reviews.

There are plenty of publishers that want to get rid of piracy but not Let's Plays. Just because there's some crossover doesn't make them all the same.

Also I love the part where you think $50 is a lot of money hahaha that's cute.

$50 each 

Let's not act like gaming is a cheap hobby, it's not.

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

$50 each 

Let's not act like gaming is a cheap hobby, it's not.

I kinda don't want to say this, but gaming is relatively inexpensive.

$50-60 for a new release is really not bad, when you consider how many hours you will get for that money.  And I say that as someone who does not buy games at that price - being frugal I wait a year or two until the price drops.

But even if you pay full price the amount of hours spent on that game will (usually) work out to less than a few dollars an hour.  Heck if you divide the price I've paid for Skyrim by the number of hours I've spent playing the paid cost is in cents per hour.

Seeing a new release movie at a theater costs more, and it is stilll way much less than you will pay per hour for things like attending a pro sporting event,  a round of golf, or even a nice dinner out.  Buying a $2 movie on Netflix is more expensive.

No, it's not as cheap as playing cards with friends, but it's still not a rich man's activity.

I'd be interested to know if anyone here actually tried to see if Win10 will disable hardware or pirated games. So, anyone?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I'd be interested to know if anyone here actually tried to see if Win10 will disable hardware or pirated games. So, anyone?

Well it certainly hasn't disabled my knock-off Wireless XBox Controller receiver that I got off eBay.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I'd have to pirate a game first.

But, speaking more broadly I'm bothered how Microsoft could even do this.  It means they are effectively policing our computers from the inside, and that is a frank invasion of privacy..

Well it certainly hasn't disabled my knock-off Wireless XBox Controller receiver that I got off eBay.

Hmm, I wonder if it just hasn't disabled yours yet or if there is a specific list of hardware they don't allow.

I'd have to pirate a game first.

But, speaking more broadly I'm bothered how Microsoft could even do this.  It means they are effectively policing our computers from the inside, and that is a frank invasion of privacy..

I agree. I'm mostly concerned with the fact that they have that much control over you and your stuff.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Hmm, I wonder if it just hasn't disabled yours yet or if there is a specific list of hardware they don't allow.

I agree. I'm mostly concerned with the fact that they have that much control over you and your stuff.

Well considering that Windows 10 does not appear in the list of affected devices, I think that the hardware clause is most likely aimed at the XBox, and dealing with unauthorized knock-offs.

The new policy doesn't somehow magically apply to all of Windows. It only applies to the services and software specifically listed.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I'm old enough to remember when you owned a copy of your software. 

Now everything is a EULA, where you don't own anything.  The next step will be you buying the hardware, but everything else being owned by someone else.

And Microsoft's latest "agreement" is nothing if not that,

I'm old enough to remember when you owned a copy of your software. 

Now everything is a EULA, where you don't own anything.  The next step will be you buying the hardware, but everything else being owned by someone else.

And Microsoft's latest "agreement" is nothing if not that,

EULA's have been the standard for over 20 years. Can you name some specific examples of software that you "owned" and didn't come with an EULA?

EULA's have been the standard for over 20 years. Can you name some specific examples of software that you "owned" and didn't come with an EULA?

I'm 49 years old, and my first computer was a TI-99 back in the early 1980s.  There was no EULA for Basic. So I guess we can start there, and I'm sure there were others.

Edit: I also programmed on friends' Apples, and Radio Shack computers as well.  Never mind that twenty years ago I had already graduated college (back then the two major apps I used were Word Perfect and SAS - again, both had licenses, but nothing like todays EULAs.)

2nd edit: And back in the 1970's I programmed on the county school system's mainframe (PDP-10), and in the early 80's programmed on TRS-80s, both lacking in any sort of EULAs.

I'm 49 years old, and my first computer was a TI-99 back in the early 1980s.  There was no EULA for Basic. So I guess we can start there, and I'm sure there were others.

Edit: I also programmed on friends' Apples, and Radio Shack computers as well.  Never mind that twenty years ago I had already graduated college (back then the two major apps I used were Word Perfect and SAS - again, both had licenses, but nothing like todays EULAs.)

2nd edit: And back in the 1970's I programmed on the county school system's mainframe (PDP-10), and in the early 80's programmed on TRS-80s, both lacking in any sort of EULAs.

They all had EULA's, it's just they weren't as big and usually they were written in the manual with the hardware not as a coded part of software.

EDIT: reason they weren't as big was because the ability to use computers for illegal purposes was very limited and without an internet collecting useable data is non existent and relied on people filling out the survey that came in the box.

I don't think it's even feasible. Imagine the coding that would have to go into every windows update/patch in order to identify and analyze the literally thousands of different coding techniques in the millions of different software products.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Man you're just like me, forgetting that 20 years ago was 1995 :(

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I don't pirate myself as I'm used to be software developer myself.

But I FU*KING HATE DRMS and this needs to stop.

oh and its an hyperbole not a metaphor, really if your going to school someone on the English language make sure you understand it first

Both will fit the phrase that I used. Also, if you're going to be a smartass and be wrong, don't use the wrong fucking use of your or you're. It seems that you don't understand the English language.

Nah this is better: https://www.gentoo.org/ haha.

I much prefer debian-based distors though :P

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Microsoft can't even stop people taking their OS. What makes them think they can prevent people taking everything else.

Silly Microsoft -_-

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

Both will fit the phrase that I used. Also, if you're going to be a smartass and be wrong, don't use the wrong fucking use of your or you're. It seems that you don't understand the English language.

seriously is English your first language? because that second sentence makes zero sense. and hyperbole and metaphor are 2 completely different things

forget this bull welcome to my ignore list

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

seriously is English your first language? because that second sentence makes zero sense. and hyperbole and metaphor are 2 completely different things

forget this bull welcome to my ignore list

He was talking about how you used "your" (possessive form of "you") when you should have used "you're" (contraction of "you are").

They all had EULA's, it's just they weren't as big and usually they were written in the manual with the hardware not as a coded part of software.

No, they had licenses, but nothing like today's EULA's.  Back then you actually owned your copy of the program the same way you owned a copy of a book, or a record, with all the same rights to make, and use copies of the same.  Likewise you could legally sell your copy if you were done using it.

It is the difference today between buying an actual printed dead-tree book, or "buying" it on Kindle.

When your young and fit, more than likely, when you get to my age (40) you start to feel like shit almost instantly.  after 3 days I am tired, sore, can't concentrate and sometimes even nauseous.  I have taken to taking a multi every day just in case I miss a healthy meal.

the first few days are the worst but your body should get "used" to it after a few days.

Linus was here

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

Linus was here

Still, its been 6 days since ms said this and my pc still working

i have a couple pirated games/software, reasons don't matter, but nothing has happened.

and nothing will happen.

#can't stop pirates

Linus linked this in the WAN show and hadn't properly read the article ugh...

@LinusTech, it's for Xbox and games for Windows Live...

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

This does not apply to windows 10, seriously does no one read the articles anymore?

Here is a list of services those conditions apply to:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/servicesagreement/?s=ecym#serviceslist

IF you look closely you will see it applies to xbox and windows games and xbocx live,  it is basic DRM, nothing new.

@LinusTech

Was said all kinda of wrong on the WAN Show...

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||